2014 Scarlet_Regnar's Honorable Mention: All I Wanted Was to Make You Happy

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Hey guys, Scarlet here. I'm more of a behind the scenes guy doing moderator things, but Charowak and Potato gave me some leeway this year when I was helping to re-design the awards. One of the ideas I had was for the judges to each give an honorable mention to a very well written fic which didn't place in the top three in any of the main categories.@Robertz had one pre-typed before the final tabulation, but it ended up that the fic he honored, To Wrap Myself in Leaves, actually placed. If the other judges / admins decide to write one, it will appear here soon.

Anyway, I award my honorable mention to All I Wanted Was to Make You Happy by NutsAndBees.

All I Wanted was entered in the One Shot category and received 4th place, only just missing receiving a place.

SPOILER ALERT....WHOOOOooop....SPOILER ALERT AHEAD!!!!

I warned you!

This story starts off with a very clear and relatable voice as the main character is a low-leveled Eevee, whose only goal is to grow stronger in order to please his trainer. Not often do I see a well written fic with a trainer's Pokemon as the main character, so kudos for capturing the determination and love the Eevee has for its trainer.

I loved how NutsAndBees gradually reveals bits and pieces of the Trainer's true personality by playing off the Unreliable First Person Narrator. The Eevee is a bit naive, so he quickly rationalized his Trainer's frustration during the match while the reader begins to realize the dramatic irony developing.

The first person narration also allows the battle scenes to be more vivid, so smart choice on Nuts' part.

Most stories that make me cry need a long time to develop the characters.But this book made me tear up 3 pages in. When the Trainer finally reveals himself, it turns Sylveon's world upside-down, and he starts to question what's real and what's fake; he starts to ask why his Trainer doesn't love him for who he is...

*Sniffle*.. I think I need a minute...............

Anyways, dramatics aside, this book is dynamite, and I'm sad it didn't place. Keep writing, NutzAndBees, you have a great voice and a real talent for this stuff.

-Scarlet_Regnar

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro