36. Gladly

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX
'GLADLY'

༻༺

THE AWKWARDNESS BETWEEN ROGER AND I FOR THE REST OF THE EVENING WAS ALMOST UNBEARABLE, with the only person to blame for that being myself. I barely saw Rog after I shouted at him, whether that was because he couldn't stand the sight of me or because I was spending most of my time at the bar I couldn't say. Of course I felt guilty for snapping at him, but it didn't make me think twice about my heavy drinking, what caused me to lose the rag in the first place, it just seemed to fuel it more. And it was clear by the rate I was knocking them back I was on the road to doing something really stupid.

'Same again, please.' I told the barman who nodded and took my glass away.

Whilst I stood at the bar using it to keep myself upright, Penny came up beside me.

'You'd better slow down, you'll regret it in the morning if you don't.'

'Penny, I honestly couldn't care about how I'll feel in the morning,' I slurred, 'All that matters is the here and now, and right now, I'm having a grand time.'

'Oh, are you?' she questioned, an eyebrow raised.

I just nodded as the barman came over with my drink. I rummaged around in my purse and gave him a handful of change, but before I had the chance to lift the glass to my lips the blonde girl took it away from me.

'Oi, what the hell are you doing?!' I shrieked.

'This ends now, Heidi,' she said seriously, putting the glass down on the bar as I stood there with a face on me that could kill, 'Getting hammered isn't going to solve anything. Where's Roger?'

'I don't know...'

'Well go find him and tell him what's going on. C'mon, I'll come with you.'

She took my hand and started dragging me away from the bar, 'No, Penny, I can't.'

'And why not?'

I sighed, 'Because we've fallen out. It's my fault, all he did was ask if I was okay and I bit his head off...'

'Even more reason to talk to him, then.' she said as I looked at her unconvinced, 'Come on, let's go.'

Sighing in defeat, I followed Penny through the crowd of punters and across the room in search of the drummer. The two of us wandered around for a fair amount of time, looking left, right and centre hoping to spot him.

'He might be outside,' the blonde girl pondered, 'I'll go and check. Wait at the door, do not go back to the bar, d'you hear me?'

'Yes, Mother.' I huffed as she gave me one last stern look and made her way outside.

I stood there next to the door with my arms crossed and a face on me like a slapped arse, looking around the room and wanting nothing more than to go back and order yet another drink. Whilst I fantasised about that, I happened to look through a gap in the crowd and noticed Roger standing at the bar, at least we now knew of his whereabouts. But it wasn't the fact I'd finally spotted him which grabbed my attention, it was the fact that he wasn't alone.

She was tall, red haired and gorgeous, and was currently standing far too close to Roger for my liking. The two of them laughed and smiled as they leant against the bar making casual conversation, the girl placing her hand on the drummer's arm and looking at him with a mesmeric gaze by which he seemed to be completely transfixed.

Watching them from across the room, my heart broke into a million pieces. I suppose I'd brought it on myself really (if I hadn't treated him like shit in the first place it'd be me he'd be smiling at right now) and the fact I couldn't do anything about it as Rog and I weren't technically a couple just made things worse. I wasn't allowed to be jealous, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.

I was standing there scowling at the two of them as Penny re-entered the room.

'Well, drummer boy's not out there. You seen him yet?'

'Oh, I've seen him alright.' I mumbled.

She seemed surprised, 'Great, where?'

I nodded in the direction of the bar, 'There.'

Penny followed my gaze until her eyes landed on Roger who was currently whispering something in the girl's ear, whatever it was making her smile. The blonde girl's face fell when she caught on to the fact that this wasn't just a friendly chat.

'Oh,' Penny said, unable to find suitable words. She turned her attention back to me, 'Heidi, I...I'm sorry.'

'Don't be,' I replied in an emotionless tone, 'What Roger does is none of my concern. She can have him...for all I care.'

And with that, I staggered off back to the bar again, far away from Roger and his dolly bird so they wouldn't see me, but also so I could be alone and drown my sorrows as the truth was I did care; I cared a lot. Over the last couple of weeks, my feelings for Rog had grown a lot stronger than I thought they would and I wasn't a jealous person at all but just seeing him with another girl...it hurt, bad.

With the place having become slightly quieter now this meant I could order at the bar without being jostled by punters trying to do the same thing. Once I'd received, and consumed, my drink I decided to head back to our table, the safest place to be as I was starting to feel pretty legless by now.

However, just as I was about to do so, I looked across the room only to catch the eye of a lad who was sitting at a table with his  mates and seemed to be watching my every move.

He was a good-looking guy who couldn't have been much older than myself and as soon as our gazes met he sent me a sweet smile and a flirtatious wink. I tried not to but I couldn't help but smile back, the fact I'd even caught someone's attention enough to make me blush.

It was then that a wicked thought popped into my head and it was only afterwards would I regret it - if Roger can chat up someone else, then why can't I?

After debating with my thoughts, I eventually gave in and snuck through the crowd (luckily where the group of lads were sitting was far away from our table). After flattening my hair and straightening my far-too-tight mini skirt, I walked towards them confidently, the guy who'd been staring at me across the room noticing I was approaching him.

'This seat taken?'

He looked up at me with a smile on his face, 'No, not at all,' before pulling out the chair next to him, 'Please, sit down.'

Still smiling myself, I sat down gratefully, now able to see the lad properly rather than halfway across the room. He was brown haired and brown eyed, with almost babyish facial features that gave him a rather innocent appearance.

'Can I buy you a drink?' he asked kindly.

Knowing full well that I'd reached my limit, I smiled unconcerned, 'Sure, whatever you're having.'

Nodding, the lad sent me another heart stopping smile before he got up and wandered to the bar, whilst I sat there trying to keep my cool. Glancing across the room, I could see Roger still making googly eyes at the red-head in front of him. A part of me wondered if he was deliberately doing this to make me jealous. Well, two could play at that game...

The brown haired lad came back to the table with two pints in his hands. He chuckled at the face I was pulling.

'Well, you did say whatever I was having.' he noted with a cheeky grin.

I shrugged my shoulders, 'You're right. It's alcohol, that's all that matters.'

Handing one of the pints to me, I took a quick sip, as he sat down and asked, 'So, what's your name?'

'Heidi. And yours?'

'Jack.' he replied.

I chuckled lightly, 'You look like a Jack.'

'Do I?' he smirked as he looked at me with alluring eyes, 'You look like a ten.'

I rolled my eyes in amusement, 'Charming. I bet you tell all the girls that, don't you?'

'No, only the ones that captivate me...'

'Really?' I smirked. I was enjoying this far too much, 'And are you captivated? Or do you tell all of them that as well.'

He smirked, 'I wouldn't have been watching you across the room if I hadn't...could the same be said for you?'

I picked up my glass and slurred, 'That, darling, you're just going to have to wait and see.'

The two of us talked for quite some time, the suspense between us thicker than the cloud of cigarette smoke that filled the room. Every so often I'd look over my shoulder to see if Roger had noticed us - much to my displeasure, he hadn't. Alcohol definitely brought out a nasty streak within me, if I was in a bad mood it seemed to make me hateful, treacherous. Sober me wouldn't be doing this, and the fact that I was so far out of it, I don't think I was in control of how far I was willing to go anymore.

'So did you come here alone, or are you here with mates?' Jack asked me a couple of drinks later, myself now sitting next to him on one of the leather couches, far too close to each other for strangers.

'No, I came here with friends. Probably all buggered off home by now, though.' I said, looking over my shoulder again to see Roger and the girl had also disappeared.

'Oh well, their loss,' he shrugged, 'At least you've got me.'

Smiling at the brown haired lad, I looked down at my watch, 'Fuck, is that the time?' We've been sitting here talking for an hour.'

'Time flies when you're having fun,' Jack chuckled. He then put his hand on my knee and told me sincerely, 'Listen, Heidi, if you want, you're more than welcome to come back to mine. It's just down the road from here. I'd rather know you were safe than traipsing home at this hour.'

Still resting his hand on my knee, I knew what it was he was really suggesting and that only seemed to encourage me more as I looked up and him and smiled flirtatiously, 'I might have to take you up on that offer...'

Still staring at each other we didn't move a muscle, the same thoughts and doubts going through each other's minds, until we gave into what our heads were telling us and our lips connected in a lustful kiss. It was an amazing feeling, between the alcohol and desire I almost lost myself in the moment, until the looming shadow of someone standing above us quickly made us pull back. I looked up to see Roger glaring at us with piercing eyes.

'Are you actually taking the piss?' he asked me, withheld anger evident in his voice.

'I could ask you the same thing.' I retorted.

We stared each other down for a good couple of seconds, holding our ground, until the drummer seethed, trying hard to keep his cool, 'Home. Now.'

I just gazed blankly at him, as if I was going to let him speak to like a child, 'I ain't going nowhere.'

'You heard her, mate, back off.' Jack told him, his hand still on my knee.

Roger shot daggers at him, 'Get your hand off her.'

'Or what, blondie?' he challenged, getting up off his seat and looking down at Rog who was a good several inches shorter than him. This couldn't end well, 'What you gonna do about it?'

'I'll bash your fucking head in, that's what I'll do.'

'Right, that's enough.' I got up and stood between the two of them, the whole situation just embarrassing as people were staring at us. I turned to Roger, 'You wanna do this, Rog, we'll do this at home. Not here.'

'Gladly...' the drummer replied angrily as he took my arm and practically dragged me away, myself uttering an apology to a confused Jack as he did, until we were out the door and onto the street to find the nearest cab, that would take us back to the house where the world's most vicious dispute was waiting to happen.

-

Hey guys!

I'm sorry I had to end it there, these chapter are much longer than I thought they'd be - shit properly kicks off in the next one so be ready for that haha! I hope you enjoyed this, I hate Heidi as much as you do right now and trust me you're gonna hate her even more by the next chapter 😂 Please leave a vote or a comment as it's always appreciated and thank you for all the support so far, you guys are the reason I write - my stories are for your enjoyment, and I'm so glad people actually read them. It's wonderful 💜

All my love,

Anna :-) x

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro