36. The Ones to Blame

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Jerry wasn't exactly sure why he was so nervous, but his stomach felt as if it was filled with a ball of snakes fighting for dominance. He wasn't going to an unsafe place, quite the contrary. They were finally all there, in better health.

And they had to decide just what they were going to do with their lives from then on. Which terrified him.

"Are you ready, Remy?" Sarah marched down the stairs wearing a dark-green sweater dress, her mahogany hair caught in a loose braid.

She'd dyed it again, but this time there were just red highlights in the sea of dark brown. Jerry liked it this way more. It showed off her quirkiness while also keeping her true self shown.

"Just about." Jerry pulled at the collar of his sweater.

Sarah joined him next to the mirror, a small frown on her face. She adjusted her braid then her blue eyes fixed him. It wasn't accusatory, but it still made Jerry's stomach drop. They'd been skirting around the elephant in the room ever since they came back, and he wasn't sure he was ready to address it. Not when the next hours didn't bring the prospect of anything good.

"Why don't you have a pet name for me?" she asked all of a sudden.

Jerry flinched. "What do you mean?"

"I mean you always call me Sarah. Which is okay, since it's my name, but..." She put a finger to her chin. "I guess it's an upbringing thing because Sam doesn't do it either. I never heard him calling Skye by anything but her name."

He wanted to ask how that was relevant, but he kept silent. Sarah rarely spoke just for the sake of it. She was going somewhere with this. And even if he'd never dwelled on it, he too had noticed that he and Sam had trouble getting cutesy with their girlfriends, even if Sam had gone as far as to get married and have a child with Skye. Kyle, Jimmy and Tom had no trouble with this. To be honest, he'd felt the need to abreviate her name in some way for a while, but he'd never managed to find one he liked. What he'd come up with was so unlike her name, he'd never dared use it. At least, not out loud.

Sarah continued to be silent, so he took a shot in the dark. "I like that you call me Remy. I sort of expect you to call me Jerry when you're upset with me."

She smiled, but it was sad. "I'm not mad at you."

There it was. The reason for the talk. "You should be."

"I'm a little mad that you think that." She heaved a sigh and turned to him. "You shut down on me and it's not helping. Yes, your life is chaotic and--"

"Our life," he corrected her. This was so hard to juggle and the elephant was fussing so much, it could no longer be ignored. "That's the problem, really. To me, it's our life. So I'm trying to somehow balance everything, but I'm--"

"Failing?" 

He nodded and she sighed again. Then she turned to him and took his hands. He recognized the look on her face. It was the one she'd had every time she decided to throw herself into something dangerous. Into a relationship, into his bed, into his life. Into his heart.

"I meant what I said," she said. "You don't need to protect me. I can hold my own. Yes, I'm confused and a little scared as well, but there is no way in hell I'm letting you go. So the thought that you could be plotting to break up with me for my own good..."

"No." He squeezed her hands and shook his head. "That's the thing. It's killing me because I know I should want you away from me for your own protection, but that doesn't mean I do. I think you can take it, too. You lay into Snitch Gravel, for Christ's sake, and I could never even dream to do that. But I need you like this. Full of fire and hope! Not a broken mess, not jaded. And I'm afraid I'll be the one to break you."

"Be cutesy with me."

"Excuse me?"

Sarah nibbled on her lower lip. "I need it. You're brave and strong and sometimes a little scary."

"Me?" This was news to him.

"I've told you before, Jerry, you don't see yourself like you should. The moment you thought Snitch Gravel was going to hurt me, it was like you grew in size to cover me, to protect me. You looked ready to face anything. And that... Well, I love that. But I need to know that the softness in you is still there, because that's the main reason I fell in love with you."

Jerry couldn't help letting out a laugh. "I've always been soft, Ria." He froze. He knew where the name came from, and it was his inability to end it in a diminutive. And now she was going to think he forgot her name or something.

Instead, her eyes widened with wonder. "How did you get to it? And how long has it been on your mind?"

Heat rose to Jerry's face, but he admitted defeat. "For a while now. And it's a failed diminutive. I couldn't exactly call you Sarrie or something, it doesn't fit you, so Ria is basically--" 

"I love it." Her eyes twinkled and she grinned. "Remy and Ria. Perfect. Why didn't you use it before?"

"Embarrassment?"

She wrapped her arms around his middle and squeezed him so hard, he almost gagged. But it turned into laughter and he wrapped his arms around her.

"I don't care about the danger, Remy. I accepted it and I'm going to continue being your rock, just like you're mine. Just promise me you'll never make noble plans behind my back."

"Turns out, I was never as noble as I thought I was. I selfishly want you to be here for me."

She raised her face from his chest. "And I am. I understand. Even the Jessie thing. Yes, it sucked, but you were between a rock and a hard place and..." She bit her lip. "I don't like it, but Jessie and Kay explained it to me. Anyone would've done the same."

Jerry nodded, feeling bad for the relief the death of Cannon had brought him. But he couldn't even consider that psychopath a basic human being. He'd put Tom and Angie through hell and had gotten his comeuppance. Yes, he was jaded and fucked up. And he couldn't believe he'd actually sworn out loud.

Oh well, life went on. And it was time to go figure out exactly how. So he took Sarah's hand and the two of them headed for Sam's place.

🏯

Sam's kitchen was full and the baby was asleep. He checked the monitor to make sure Sammy didn't stir. In any case, Christine was right by the stairs, ready to head up at her tinniest whimper. He wasn't very fond of that plan. For some insane reason, he would've rather had her by his side, preferably touching him.

"Are we ready for this?" Jimmy asked. He stood leaning against the back of the couch, his arms crossed over his chest.

Even if there was no more blood, and they were now all okay, at least physically, Sam still felt as if they'd returned to Kato's house in Japan with everything falling apart around them. Not that much had changed except the setting and the sleeping baby upstairs.

"Okay." He gave a curt nod. "Lay it on us."

"The Agency are a bunch of evil dicks," Jimmy said, already sounding exhausted. "Beyond their fucking death ray and lying to us for almost five years, they tried to weaponize me. In other words, what they've started with William and continued with me was to try and redevelop the serum. They picked the worse target possible since I already had it, so they thought they actually made a breakthrough."

"We have to destroy that thing," Kyle said.

"Here's the complicated part," Jessie said. She sat on the back of the couch, her hand on Jimmy's shoulder. "I already did."

Sam shook his head in surprise. "What?"

"When we escaped from the labs, I destroyed their samples and their paperwork precisely because I realized what they were doing. I almost killed Hannigan in the process."

"And then I almost did when he tried to rape Jessie in front of me."

Everyone fell silent for a moment, then Tom cursed under his breath. "We don't have enough shovels. Because there will be a lot of people we need to bury." He sighed. "So, on one hand, we have all of us preparing to commit treason, and then there's the two of you trashing everyone and everything and busting out of the facility. How are we all not dead yet?"

How's not everyone we know? The question lingered between them even if Tom didn't outright ask it. And that was exactly what they had to prevent.

"I think it's because we got kidnaped," Sam said, his tone guarded. He'd given this a lot of thought and only called them there when he thought he had a solution for everything. "We didn't get to mutiny. And when they found us again, we also had a jewel. We'd survived Snitch Gravel who came out as the ultimate evil again. They think they can still have us."

"They don't have us," Jerry said, so much hatred in his tone, it was scary.

"That's true," Jimmy said, "but that doesn't mean we shouldn't let them think they do."

"Why would we do that?" Jerry asked. "It's about time we did the right thing and quit this."

"We can't quit," Kyle said before Sam could open his mouth and point out the exact same thing. "Not when we know what they're doing."

"How does that make any sense?" Jerry asked, throwing his hands in the air. "You want us to continue working for the people who almost killed Jimmy? Who's to say they won't try to do it again?"

"They don't know how much I remember," Jimmy said, with a shrug. "I can still act confused."

"It's not that easy," Kay said. "Not after what you and Jessie did in California. Not after Angie went rogue for a whole year and decided to resurface now. Not after..." Her words trailed off as her eyes moved to Kyle. "We don't even know who called them to Japan."

"I have a guess..." Sam hesitated, because what was about to come out of his mouth was crazy. "I think it may have been Snitch Gravel."

"Um, excuse me?" Tom asked, and he wasn't the only one. The same question was on Angie and Christine's lips.

"Think about it. We already know he has someone in the Agency. Maybe it's Hannigan--"

"It's not," Jerry interjected.

"Maybe it's someone else. It was too convenient that Harry showed up right when it was over."

"We were out only about two hours," Angie pointed out. "He wouldn't have had time to get there."

Sam hadn't thought about that. Angie made a very good point, but the debunking of his Snitch Gravel theory was still a little disappointing.

"I have a better one for you," Jimmy said. "Billy."

"That's indeed better," Tom said with an eyeroll. "Blame the dead guy."

"He's not dead," Jimmy said. "He helped me get into the castle."

Sam's heart seemed to stop, then it started thumping so hard, his chest hurt. "What?"

"Why didn't you mention this before?" Jessie asked, rightfully outraged.

"I didn't get to in Japan, and I wanted to tell all of you at once," he said, then mouthed a, "Sorry, Sunshine," to Jessie. "So yes, he basically came back from the dead. He's working for someone and he didn't want to mention who. But the thing is, there's something else out there. Another secret force aside from Snitch Gravel and the Agency." He squinted at Jessie as he said this. "I didn't ask more because I think that all will come in due time. They're not getting involved right now unless it's an emergency."

Sam tried to process everything. His cousin being alive, another secret faction, someone who could be looking out for them. It sounded too good, too inviting, but at the same time, he was tired. He couldn't keep digging up secrets. He agreed with Jimmy. If it was important enough, it would come to them.

"Wait, you're saying that Billy is in another secret organization thing that's keeping a watch on us?" Jerry asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Pretty much," Jimmy said with a shrug. "But, again. They're not getting involved right now and we don't even know what they're after. So our main problems are still Snitch Gravel and the Agency."

"I think Snitch Gravel might not be a problem," Kyle said.

"Oh no, brother. Allow me to disagree." Tom shifted in his seat. The lights made the scars on his arms shine eerily. "Snitch Gravel is always a problem. He let us go this time, but it doesn't mean it's over."

"I agree, Tom, but I also agree with Kyle." Sam took in a deep breath. "Snitch Gravel wanted something from us this time. My guess is, to tell us the truth, at least at the moment he called me into his office. But what happened at the end there was not planned. He wanted a peaceful way to bring Jimmy in. He failed. He..." He had no idea why he was finding excuses for the man who tortured them, but it was important for his brothers to understand. "He knows what the Agency is doing and wants to stop them."

"Well, then," Tom said. "That does give him some brownie points, except..." His scars shone again, and Sam was only too aware that Tom still need crutches to walk.

"He's not the good guy," Kyle said, pushing off the counter. "This is all about what he wants. About what the Agency want. They're opposing forces, like they'd been since all this shit started. The only difference is that we're now stuck in the middle."

"We have to stop them," Jerry said. "Which is why we need to get out."

"We can't stop them if we get out," Kyle said. "The only way to do that is to take them down from within. We need their resources and we need their protection."

"Protection?" Jerry asked between his teeth. "They're stalking us, trying to control us."

"And let them think they're still doing that," Jimmy said with a shrug.

"You agree with this?" Jerry asked. "You out of all people?"

"I actually do," Jimmy said. "We're not strong enough to fight both the Agency and Snitch Gravel right now. What we need to do is continue playing the game, but with our own agenda."

"And how are we going to do that?" Kay asked. "After everything that happened."

"Blackmail," Sam said. He'd had the answer ready from the moment the conversation started. He was pleased to see how the others seemed to be considering this very healthy option.

"Okay, I'll bite," Tom said. "How?"

"We'll use Harry," Sam continued.

"Harry?" Christine asked in disbelief. "Harry hates our guts."

"Your guts," Tom was kind enough to clarify, pointing at her.

Sam shook his head. "Nope. My guts more. But either way, that won't matter. He still feels guilty about what he did. And I plan to use that together with the fact that I'm pretty sure no one told him that Herrison is dead." The words sent a pang to his stomach, but there was no use denying the truth.

Everyone winced at the unpleasant reminder. It was just one of the reasons they really had to do this. Because if there was one thing Sam was sure of, it was that Herrison had never meant to hurt anyone. He'd been just as innocent and as trapped in between as them.

"So here's what we're going to do. Stay on board for the Jewel Project as long as they agree to bury whatever happened in California and leave Jimmy alone." He pointed at Jimmy. "And you will fake horrible amnesia and the fact that you have no idea about the death ray thingie."

"That doesn't sound like we have much leverage," Kay pointed out.

"They want those jewels a lot," Sam said. "And we're the only ones who can find the last one before Snitch Gravel does."

"That's a fair point," Angie said.

"The way I see it, our only other option is to join Snitch Gravel," Kyle said with a shrug.

"No!" Jerry stood. "No way."

"Which is why the Agency is a better option," Kyle continued.

Jerry dropped back on his seat. "Ugh, I hate both options."

"That's my suggestion. If you guys have any other suggestions or valid plans in which we can disappear off the face of the world... Well, I'm all ears." 

They all looked to each other in turn, but there were no other suggestions. Sam knew there wouldn't be. This one was barely viable and all the others, much worse.

"I say we vote on it," Jimmy said. "Who's for blackmailing Harry?"

Everyone raised their hands almost instantly, Jerry included, even if he looked a little resentful that he had to keep pretending he liked the Agency.

"Good, now that the nasty part is over, I have some news," Jimmy said, lowering his hand.

Kyle narrowed his eyes at him. "No, you're not going anywhere or doing anything dangerous. Our wedding's in three weeks and we have work to do."

"Ha ha, keep your pants on," Jimmy said with a smirk. "I'll take your wedding and raise you another one." He turned to Jessie. "What do you say, Sunshine? How long do you think you need to plan everything?"

Sam stared from Jimmy to Jessie who put her index finger to her chin. That was when Sam noticed the engagement ring on her finger.

"I think three months is more than enough," she said.

"You guys are getting married?" Kay asked, her voice filled with excitement.

Jessie grinned and showed everyone the ring. A chorus of congratulations rang around the room as Sarah and Christine moved closer to get a good look at the ring and gush over it. Jimmy just continued grinning, obviously very proud of himself.

As he should be. Sam really appreciated the good news and, if he were completely honest, it was about time. They should all get married already. Well, except for him. That ship had sailed.

Pain nestled in his heart, but he forced it back. Skye was not gone. She was still his strength and he could see her in Sammy every single day.

"Are we ready to go do some blackmailing?" Kyle asked, turning all eyes to him. "Might as well get it over it."

"Are we all going?" Sarah asked, turning away from Jessie.

"No." Sam stood and stretched. "Just the five of us."

"And why's that?" Kay asked, placing her hands on her hips.

"No ofense Kay, but Kyle and Jimmy are a lot more intimidating without you girls around."

"Agreed," Sarah said, nodding towards Jerry. "Go knock him out."

Sam wished, but they'd just be talking. Physical violence would not be needed. He hoped.

🏯

They met Harry in the same dingy diner from which they'd been taken. Tom thought it would be the pinnacle of irony, and Sam had to admit that he liked the theatrics. He was also pleased with the tension in the air and the fact that the way Kyle, Jerry and Tom glared at him had Harry squirming in his seat.

"Why are we here?" he asked, placing his hands between his knees.

"We need you to deliver a message to your higher ups," Sam said, keeping his voice as pleasant as possible.

Harry huffed. "Look, Sam, I'm not your coordinator. I'm only filling in temporarily until--"

"You're not," Kyle cut him off. "And we'll get to that in a moment. Now you can shut up and listen."

"If I am your coordinator, you can't bully me."

"No one is trying to bully you, Harry." Jimmy leaned forward, smiling. It wasn't the reassuring one, but the one that hinted he was about to go crazy and break him in two. "This meeting is off the record and an extended hand from our part."

"Extended hand?" Harry asked, his voice much higher. "Do you have any idea how much trouble you are in?"

There it was, confirmation that everything was one wrong word from going to hell. "We can guess. What happened in California..."

"Is going to go away," Jimmy picked up, before Sam could finish. "And you're going to make that happen."

Harry huffed. "Why would I do that? I know we've known each other long, but after everything, I'm not exactly your friend anymore. I see no reason to put my neck out for you guys."

Sam didn't like where this was going and the fact that Harry was basically throwing away all their years of friendship made him want to throttle him. I let you cheat off me, you douche.

"Let's put this another way," Tom said, fortunately stepping in. His tone wasn't very friendly either, but it was better than Sam jumping over the table and punching Harry in the face. "California is a mess. But at this point, it has to go away, or--"

"Or what?"

"We know what they want the jewels for," Jimmy said.

Sam whipped towards him. "What the hell are you doing?"

Jimmy didn't answer. He leaned back, his arms crossed over his chest, murder in his eyes. Sam wasn't sure if he should signal to Kyle to shut Jimmy up, but Kyle looked just as intimidating and belligerent. It had been a very long time since Sam felt like the baby brother so it was a little unnerving.

"We know you need all of them for it," Jimmy went on, completely ignoring Sam. "And we also know Snitch Gravel is racing you to them. Now tell us, Agency puppet, do you think your bosses will be able to get their hands on the last one before Snitch Gravel?"

"You need us," Tom added, pressing their advantage. "There's no way you're finishing this without Sam's big brain. And you have no one as field-ready as us. Who are they going to send? You?"

Harry shuddered at the thought.

"So here's the deal," Kyle said. "It's simple. You need us. Except you've done some really freaky shit that makes this whole collaboration very problematic."

"Jessie--"

"Don't you dare say her name," Jimmy growled. "She did what she had to do. Which is why that will go away. And, in exchange, we'll help you find the last jewel."

Sam had to admit that they'd actually said it as nicely as they could, even if maybe Jimmy should've faked more ignorance about the satellite.

"I..." Harry looked from one to the other, obviously taken aback by the evolution of the conversation.

"Look, Harry," Jerry said with a sigh. "You're going to do this for us. And it's going to come from you."

"Why the hell would I throw myself under the bus for you?"

"Because Snitch Gravel killed your dad and no one bothered to tell you." Jerry sounded tired.

Harry's eyes widened. "Wha--? Are you serious?"

"Yeah, we saw it happen," Sam said, trying to make his voice at least as soothing as Jerry's. "And we're really sorry. We're going to miss him. So help finish what he started." 

Because Sam refused to believe that Herrison had been aware of this mess, of the evil, of the real intention of the Agency. He'd been a good man. And if he were here instead of Harry, he would be doing everything to offer them the protection they needed to end this.

"To protect you," Harry mumbled, staring into his lap. "All he ever talked about was protecting you."

"He was trying to protect you," Tom said. "Because he knew that if we ever failed, the Agency would throw you into the fray as a replacement. Yes, he also cared about us, but it was you he was looking out for."

"And you're asking me to give that up for you?"

"We're asking you to do something decent for once in your life," Sam said between his teeth. "And the truth is, you don't have much of a choice. Because if we're taken out, it will fall on you. Snitch Gravel won't stop. He has a personal vendetta against the Agency, not just us. And what we'll happen when we're no longer your shield against him?"

"Or would you rather get some of these yourself?" Tom leaned over the table and pulled back his sleeves.

Harry shuddered at the sight of his scars then chewed on his lower lip, obviously torn between the need to stand up against them and take the way out they were offering him. Sam knew he'd cave. Harry had always put himself first, and the prospect of not getting murdered was going to win out in the end.

"Why don't you just tell them all this?" he asked. "Threaten them directly?"

"Because I don't think we'd be this nice in front of Keeves," Kyle answered. "Plus, it needs to come from you. Your own brilliant idea. Which will become theirs. They wouldn't respond kindly to threats."

"And you think I will?"

"Harry, darling," Tom said, his voice full of false sweetness. "You already have."

Tom was right. He did. It took Harry three days to call Sam to the Agency headquarters and offer him a deal. California would go away, chucked as a medical malpraxis. The fire was nothing but an unfortunate accident. Jessie had nothing to do with it.

And them... Yes, they'd survived Snitch Gravel again and managed to retrieve another jewel. They were expected to continue their activity for the Agency with special focus on finding the final jewel.

Sam agreed. They would continue. Continue training, being on call, thwarting Von Crooken and his rotten politics. Kyle would find and train new recruits. Jimmy and Jerry would continue developing useful drugs and gadgets.

Cripple Von Crooken, find people with enough morals to turn, place trackers that only Jimmy could control on everyone and make sure the serum never got developed again.

And as for Sam, he'd take research into his hands and make it his priority. It was the only way he would make sure that jewel stayed buried forever.

They'd plant a bomb inside the Agency, step back and watch it blow.

🏯🏯🏯

Isn't it amazing how much this chapter feels like the last one? That's because it sort of it. I do have a little more, but that's more bonus stuff. Wait, no, I still have plot stuff in it. Aren't you curious now?

So... They finally figured it out. A way to balance it out and potentially not get murdered? What do you think? Genius idea or what? And their final plan... Totally worth it.

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Also, this chapter sets the tone for the next book somewhat so you get to guess what happens.

Vote and comment for support and holy hell, I can't believe there's just ONE CHAPTER LEFT!!!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro