37. Ever After

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It turned out to be the warmest, most perfect April day Kyle could've imagined.

In a flurry of preparations, grabbing kids' stuff, and carpooling relatives, Kyle wound up almost being late for his own wedding. By the time he returned from the venue where he'd tackled a cake-related emergency, the church was already brimming with people, the last of the guests hurrying inside.

They'd tried to keep it small, but Maxi had insisted that, unlike in Sam's case, more relatives needed to come. Kyle didn't fight her over it. He didn't care much as long as his brothers and friends were there.

"Kyle, finally," Jimmy said from the doorway. "Where the hell were you?"

Kyle hurried down the path towards him. "Random wedding emergency. I'm surprised you're here."

"Sam stepped in and set everyone straight. But honestly, your military magic and death glares were missed."

"Nah. This is was Mom's chance to go all crazy and I couldn't deny her that. It means you guys get to." He stopped at the entrance. "Please don't tell me Kay's already here."

"No, you're good, but let's go." And Jimmy whipped around and headed inside.

Kyle kept his hand on the door, but couldn't help lingering one more moment just to take in the green grass and the blooming trees around him, the fresh breeze and the clear blue sky which reminded him of Kay's eyes. Yes, this was finally happening. And it seemed like the perfect day to finally get married to the woman he loved with all his heart.

Nerves wound around him, but he embraced them with enthusiasm as he always did. This was the best thing that had ever happened to him, and he'd be damned if he didn't enjoy it to the fullest. Nerves were good.

With a deep, content sigh, he made his way inside. The church was small, meant to be cozy as well as prevent a great number of people from attending. Roses in shades of light blue and white flanked the aisle as he walked up to the podium. Joey and Kelly grinned and waved at him as he passed.

Sophie raised Sammy in her arms and made her wave. Keeping in a grin, Kyle waved back. His mom rolled her eyes and took Sammy from her great-grandmother. It was so odd to think that Sophie was a great-grandmother.

Up in front, his brothers awaited, all four of them smiling at him, Jimmy taking his place at the front of the line. It was amazing to see Tom standing, see Jerry and Sam so relaxed.

The girls were on the opposite side, wearing long forest-green silk dresses, all of them looking gorgeous. Jessie beamed at him and winked.

He'd just reached his position when the music started playing. Like they were one, everyone in the church turned towards the entrance. Kyle did too and his breath caught in his throat.

Kay stepped out next to William, looking more beautiful than ever, even with the thin, embroidered veil covering her face. Her dress was a tight corset strewn with glittering crystals which showed off her narrow waist right before it left way to flowing skirts of lace which made her look like a princess. With her hair caught up in an elegant bun held up by a tiara and rosy lips, she was gorgeous.

The excitement inside him grew, threatening to get out of hand. He needed to stay put. He couldn't just rush to her, pick her up, kiss her. At least not yet. He had to marry her first in this stiff ceremony that he suddenly hated. They should've eloped in Vegas.

God, how could one woman be this beautiful? He'd thought the same thing when he'd picked her up for prom. Felt like his heart was too big for his chest, like it was impossible to love someone so much. And yet, here they were, six years later, just as in love, getting married. Her smile was the sun.

When she finally reached him, her eyes were shining, and her lips trembled with the effort to keep her smile in check.

"Take care of her," William said, squeezing Kyle's forearm and retreating to his seat.

He nodded absently, too enthralled by the woman right in front of him. He took the corners of the veil and lifted it off her face, letting it fall back and melt into the train of her dress. As he did, she leaned forward.

"You look gorgeous," she whispered to him.

He couldn't help grinning. "You stole my line."

"Come up with a better one."

"There are no words to describe how beautiful you are."

Her smile only broadened and they both turned to the priest, holding hands. The service began, but Kyle couldn't focus. All he could think about was Kay, the fact that they were actually doing this, that they'd joined their lives and would be together forever. The wedding vows were well overdue. They'd already been together, through the good and the bad, in sickness and in health, and there was nothing in this world but death that would do them part. And he wouldn't have it any other way.

It was a formality, and yet he felt like it gave his life a whole new meaning, twisted their love into something even more pure and profound than it already was.

He squeezed her hand. "Don't let go till we die," he whispered to himself.

Kay squeezed back, entwining their fingers together. "Till we die."

And that was it. With a final declaration to the world, they were married. Now that he could finally kiss her, he was the happiest man on Earth. She fell into it enthusiastically, wrapping her arms around his neck. Somewhere in the distance, people clapped and cheered. It was background noise, because the world was suddenly perfect, and his world was her.

"Hey, save it for the honeymoon," Jimmy said.

The broke apart, both of them grinning, and Kyle could swear the sun shone in her eyes. The feeling didn't go away even as they both turned to the crowd, holding hands, ready to head out into their new life together. And seeing all those people there happy for them, applauding... It filled his heart. There was finally some peace in his world.

Under a rain of confetti, he and Kay headed down the aisle, waving to their friends. It was great to see everyone together, happy.

Just as they were about to exit the church, Kyle caught sight of a shadow by the door.

It had only been a second, but he thought he recognized it and it sent a pang of unease into his stomach. A raincloud there to rain on his parade. Hell no, that wasn't happening.

"Kyle?" Kay tilted her head towards him as the rest of the wedding party made their way around them and on the lawn in front of the church. He'd stopped right outside the door, holding Kay up next to him. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. We're having a photoshoot here, right?" His voice came out way too distracted, but it was the best he could do at the moment.

She frowned. "Yes, but--"

He squeezed her hand. "I need to do something. I'll be right out."

"Wait, you--"

He put his finger on her lips and silenced her. "Trust me, everything is fine. I'll be right out."

She didn't look like she trusted him, and it was one of the many reasons he loved her so much. But she gave up on protests either way and made her way down the stairs towards the lawn.

Kyle twisted and headed back inside. He caught Jimmy at the entrance and clasped his shoulder. "Do a perimeter search. There might be trouble."

Jimmy gave him a tiny nod, then continued ushering everyone out like nothing had happened. Kyle headed deeper inside the thankfully empty church and waited until Jimmy closed the door and the muttering of the crowd was cut off. The shadowy figure was still there, but further to the left, taking advantage of a pole to hide his presence.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Kyle's voice echoed in the silent church. He really hoped he wouldn't have to resort to violence on his wedding day, but he wasn't above it. Not after everything that had happened. Fortunately, the man stepped into the open, hands deep in his pockets.

It was weird to see Snitch Gravel in a suit without his scarlet shirt and tie. Instead, he had a dark blue shirt on and no tie.

"I think congratulations are in order," he mumbled.

Kyle raised an eyebrow. "You're here to congratulate me?"

"Not exactly. Call it morbid fascination or whatever you want." There was no trace of animosity in his voice, maybe a bit of confusion directed at his own actions.

"Should I expect my car to explode, my plane to go down, my wedding to be ruined by evil henchmen falling from the ceiling?"

Snitch Gravel shook his head. "No. I'm actually here for two things. One is to ask you if the Agency is giving you trouble."

Kyle narrowed his eyes, but he couldn't see any harm in answering that question. Snitch Gravel was not an idiot so he obviously knew things had gone to shit in California.

"Not yet. We've handled it for now. What's the second?"

"The second is to tell you that we're done." Snitch Gravel's voice was a little less stronger than usual, and Kyle wondered if he'd had something to drink before.

"We're done as in...?"

"I'm done hunting you down, stalking you, trying to get to you." He waved his hand in the air. "This is most likely the last time you will ever see me."

"You're calling your men off?"

"I already did. So if anyone comes after you, it won't be on my order."

"Why?"

Snitch Gravel took in a deep breath. "Because I realized that maybe, sometimes, the truth is of no use to anyone. Maybe skeletons should just stay in closets until the ones who remember they ever existed just die. One down, two to go."

Kyle didn't know what to say to that or really understood what it meant. A part of him had questions, but it was his wedding day, and he really did want to be left alone. The prospect of no longer having Snitch Gravel after them made this day even better if possible.

"What made you change your mind?"

"You did. You and Kay." He looked towards the door. "And Sam. And Jimmy. And Tom, and Jerry. Sarah."

"Sarah?" Kyle couldn't help asking.

Snitch Gravel nodded, his eyes still on the door, as if he could see the others beyond it. "And Jessie and Angie. Even that spoiled little Christine who managed to better herself. You see, life is complicated. It pushes you. It forces you to make choices. Some choose wrong." He turned back to Kyle. "And some choose right. And maybe those who choose right shouldn't suffer for those who chose wrong."

"Isn't it a little late for that?"

"It's never late to do the right thing." Snitch Gravel shrugged. "Live a happy life. You've earned it." And just like that, he headed up the aisle, to the front of the church.

Kyle followed his progress, trying to process what had just happened, but the door opened and Jessie called his name. They were ready for the photos and needed him.

He snapped out of his contemplation of Snitch Gravel's motives and headed back out. His new life awaited. And if they were lucky, it wouldn't include a crazed murderer trying to off them every other week.

🏯

After all the standing in the church and for a million photos, Tom's muscles burned. Which was a real shame seeing as his favorite part about weddings had never been standing, but dancing. As it was, he wasn't sure he could pull that off. And there was no way he was using crutches again. He'd had enough of those.

He sighed wistfully, watching as the crowd settled at their tables, ready for the wedding party.

"Hey," Angie said, running her fingers through his hair. "You okay?"

He nodded. "Just a little tired."

"Understandable. It couldn't have been easy to stand for so long."

"It was okay. Felt like myself for a while."

Angie smiled at him, but it was filled with sadness. They'd both expected him to recover faster. It was a bit of a painful shock to realize Cannon had done more damage than they thought.

"It's a shame we're not doing a dancing opening," she said, her eyes taking in the crowd as well.

"My fault, really. That and we need originality. So forcing Jessie to sing should be enough of a shock for everyone."

She let out a laugh. "More like pleasant surprise. I can't believe Joey managed to convince her."

Tom could. Jessie was secretly a show off, as much as she tried to hide it.

Sam dropped on Tom's other side. "Yay. Chairs."

"Who's been harassing you?"

"Aunts I didn't even knew we had. Where did Mom find all these relatives?"

Tom shrugged. He still knew a very small portion of his family and he couldn't say he minded.

"Anyway, I used Sammy and Christine as decoys and got out of there," Sam continued, glancing around. There was a barely noticeable frown on his face, and Tom believed he would've missed it if he didn't feel the pain and confusion inside his twin.

It had to be hard to be at a wedding when the last one he'd attended was his own and his wife was now gone. The thought made Tom shudder so he put his hand on Sam's shoulder.

"You okay?"

"I can't believe Jimmy and Jessie are getting married," Sam said instead. He then threw Tom a glance which clearly meant Why aren't you?

Tom bit back a laugh. "I think it was about time."

"Agreed. After Kyle and Kay, they were obviously next."

True. Sam was the one to break every expectation by getting married first and having a kid.

Jerry and Sarah joined them, sitting next to Sam while Jimmy and Jessie took the seats on Angie's other side. And watching them, Tom felt happier than he remembered feeling in a long while. Somehow, the stars had aligned, and even if his muscles ached and his nightmares were plagued with torture and murder, there was still hope and a chance for happiness.

And having Angie back to hold him when he woke up from night terrors made everything easier to bear. They were still testing the waters, moving slowly, but the more time they spent together, the more he wanted to throw all that out the window and bed her already.

"What?" she asked, because he'd been staring at her as he zoned out.

"Nothing." But he didn't turn away. He enjoyed taking in how her worry was replaced by a desire to tease him.

"I know that look. Are you finally going to put out?"

"Angie!"

Jerry's reprimand had them all laughing, Sarah included. Only Jerry was frowning at all of them.

"Seriously, that is not a conversation to have in public."

"Don't act like a prude, Remy," Sarah said, ruffling his hair. "We both know you're not one."

Jerry's face caught fire and Tom was sure he would choke from the laughter. Jerry was fortunately spared further embarrassed by Joey who turned up on the low stage and raised his hands to get everyone's attention.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he said, a wide grin on his face. "I give you Mr. and Mrs. Kyle Grant!"

Everyone applauded as Kyle and Kay took the dance floor, both of them beaming. They started off into a waltz, moving with a fluidity and perfection which Tom envied. He wished he could dance so much.

"I'm a little disappointed," Sam mumbled.

"Why?" Tom asked, throwing him a surprised glance.

"They're such good dancers, a waltz seems... Well, boring for them."

"Give it one hot minute," Jessie whispered.

Before anyone could ask, she and Angie stood and headed for the stage just as the rhythm of the waltz faded. Kyle sunk his hand into the folds of Kay's skirts and, with a twist of his wrist, the whole thing came off. Jessie and Angie picked up the large lace skirt and pulled away, to reveal Kay whose dress was now all corset and a silk, snug, floor-legth skirt with a pretty impressive slit on the side.

The music changed from a waltz to a tango and Kyle and Kay were off, as impressive as ever.

"Much better," Sam said with a grin.

Tom had to agree. They were much too skilled to stick to a waltz. To a tango too, since they next switched to a jazzy piece, followed by some old fashioned rock and roll.

"They're amazing!" Sarah said, clapping along to the music.

"So were we," Angie mumbled next to him.

Tom felt even more bitter that he couldn't move properly, but he forced himself to sit back and enjoy the show. The crowd was wooed, very few of them having any idea that Kyle was a phenomenal dancer. But it was soon over, Kay put her poofy skirts back on, and the music changed to a slow song everyone could dance with.

Jimmy stood and blew them a kiss. "If you'll excuse me, I need to check if I still have the moves."

"We need to practice for our wedding," Jessie said with a grin, and the two of them were off to dance.

"Should we also practice for their wedding?" Sarah asked.

Jerry grinned, but got the hint, so he took her hand and the two of them disappeared in the crowd of dancers.

"How about you?" Tom asked, turning to Sam.

Sam just hummed, his eyes taking in the tables, obviously searching for Sammy and Christine.

"No one is judging you if you dance with her," Tom said. "God knows she's earned it."

Sam turned to him. "What?"

"Christine, Sam," Angie said with a sigh. "It's okay to like her again."

"I don't think the again applies. It's hard to reconcile this Christine with the one I used to date."

"Not necessarily a bad thing," Tom pointed out.

"Not a bad thing at all," Sam agreed.

Tom narrowed his eyes at his twin. He could feel something was a little off. A tinge of guilt and uncertainty seemed to be filling Sam up. Most likely related to his feelings for Christine. There was something there, Tom could tell, and it didn't even have to do with Sammy and how complicated things were. Sam was just falling for someone and it terrified him.

Tom opened his mouth, but closed it. There was no point bringing this up. Sam would be fine, he was sure of it.

Him on the other hand... Screw the pain. He'd die if he didn't dance. And he could handle a damn slow song.

"Want to dance?" he asked, turning to Angie.

"Um, really?"

"Yeah, come on." He stood and reached out his hand. The little rest had done the trick, as had the painkiller he'd taken when they'd reached the venue. He could do this.

Angie grinned and took his hand, then led him to the dance floor. It was so easy to fall back into old patterns, to wrap his arms around her, to be happy when she did the same.

It really did feel like they could do this. Be them again, except a better version of the same flawed people. Plus holding her again without any fear or guilt being involved was amazing. He hadn't felt like this in years.

"What are you thinking?" she whispered, tightening her hold around his neck.

"That I'm hopeful you won't crush me this time."

She bit her lower lip, but kept dancing. "I'm really sorry, Tom."

"I know you are." He could feel it in the way she talked, the way she acted, the way she'd been by his side through his recovery and the whole ordeal.

"I'm sometimes afraid it still isn't enough."

"Just don't stress about it. We've always taken everything as it comes. What's the point worrying about it?"

She smiled, raised on the tips of her toes and pressed a soft kiss to his lips. "I know. But I can't not stress about it. Not when I want to be your forever."

She was. If anything, the fact that they were here together proved it beyond any doubt. If they'd come out of all that and could still be together, they could get through anything.

They continued to dance, Angie's head on his chest. Then, she took his wrists and ran his hands up his forearms as much as the rolled up sleeves of his shirt allowed.

"I love your tattoos," she said, admiring the little of them which was visible.

Tom had to admit he did too. He'd decided to cover his arms entirely and make it a canvas of their adventures. It was a spiraling design, starting from his left wrist where the jungle and Mayan temple stretched to his elbow to mesh into the badlands and burning labs, just to fade into the ocean and temple on the small island they'd visited in India. Then, the castles of Loire rounded his right shoulder into the catacombs of Paris which left way to the pyramids of Egypt and the castle in Japan, everything ending neatly on his wrist.

"Too bad it would be inappropriate for your mom to see them first at the wedding," she said with a wistful sigh.

"What's up? You seem really off."

She let out a laugh. "I actually want to say something and I'm building up the courage."

He squinted at her. "Just let it out. It's not like it's gonna send me running."

Her eyes drifted to Kyle and Kay before focusing back at him. "Do you think we should be doing this as well?"

"This as in?"

She waved her hand around. "As in wedding. Get married. You said this was it, that it was either all or nothing--"

He let out a laugh, but butterflies fluttered in his stomach and excitement coursed through him, driving away all the reminiscence of storm clouds. "Are you proposing to me?"

"Maybe I should," she said, and to his satisfaction, she was grinning.

"I won't give you an answer without a ring."

"I wish I had one just to see the look on your face."

He caught her chin between his thumb and index finger. "I love the way you're thinking. But I won't let you propose. It will be me. And it will be wild and shocking and inappropriate. I also think we need to give it more time though. Make sure there really are no more hard feelings between us."

She nodded. "I don't know how I keep forgetting how level-headed you are. But I agree. And I love you so much."

"I love you too, babe." And he couldn't remember the last time the words felt so right.

Angie squeezed him and they continued dancing. His pain was numb and the wedding atmosphere was doing the trick to make him forget about all the evil in their lives.

They could do this. If Kyle and Jimmy could, then so could he. Sam had already done it.

Their lives were cursed, but that didn't mean they couldn't fight together. Because they would always have each other's backs, no matter what. And if Angie meant it, if the fear that she'd bolt would disappear... Then maybe that proposal she wanted would come sooner rather than later.

Because there was no doubt in his mind. There was no one else he'd rather spend the rest of his life with.

🏯

The wedding had been amazing, but Sam was still glad to be home with his baby. He watched Christine tuck Sammy in, still wearing her green bridesmaid dress, a sense of peace overwhelming him.

"She's exhausted," Christine whispered, stroking Sammy's blonde curls.

"I think we all are. Even if the wedding was great."

Christine nodded. "Yes, it was gorgeous. Even--" She caught herself and turned to him, her cheeks flushed.

He quirked an eyebrow. "Better than mine?"

"Yours was beautiful, too." Silence fell between them for a few moments, then Christine sighed. "I should get going."

Something tugged at Sam's heart, a feeling which was familiar and foreign at the same time. Longing. But not just for company. For life. For everything. Only that, as always, it was accompanied by guilt. He'd read Skye's letter again the moment he'd returned home. Only that this time, after everything that had happened, her words seemed to mean something else. Something that didn't seem impossible. Something he actually wanted.

"Why don't you stay?" he asked. "It's late and I'm sure you're tired."

Christine looked at Sammy asleep in her crib and her features settled into a loving smile. When she turned to Sam, they stayed the same.

"I can't, Sam. Not after a wedding. Not after dancing with you all night."

"Didn't you have fun?" He was being a jerk. He knew what she meant. Except that for the first time, he didn't mind. He actually wanted it.

"Of course I did. Maybe a bit too much. I felt--" She looked away from him. "Like I was part of your family, but in a way I've never been before. And I don't think I can handle that."

She was part of his family. The way she loved Sammy and took care of her, the way she was by his side in one of the darkest hours of his life. The way she'd kissed him. He still couldn't get that out of his head for some reason.

His eyes fell on her lips. How would it feel? Would it be the same, or different? Because they most certainly weren't the same, and it was the best thing that could've happened to them.

"Sam?" Her voice was breathy.

He looked away from her lips, to her eyes. There was so much fire there, so much passion. But also fear and confusion.

"Yes?"

"You're looking at me like--" She faltered, the fear taking over.

"Like what?"

She shook her head and lowered her face. "I don't want to do this to you. I can't, I--" She turned to Sammy's crib and her heart seemed to break.

His did too, because he understood. She was considering leaving their lives just to make sure she didn't come across as predatory.

"But would you be able to leave?" he asked.

She snapped out of it and turned to him. "I love her so much, you know that. The only problem is..." She bit her lip again, the longing in her eyes filling him with positive emotion.

He liked it. He also loved the fact that he hadn't latched on to her just to quench his thirst for showering women with affection. It was the reason they'd still been acting as friends for the past month. Because if he was going to do this, it was because he wanted to. Not as a rebound, not as someone there to warm his bed and care for his daughter.

Did he love this knew Christine? That he didn't know, not yet. What he did know was that he was willing to find out.

"You love me, too," he said.

Christine pursed her lips then gave a tiny nod. "But I really want you to know it's not the same as before."

"I'm glad it's not. I think we're both way past that."

"I think I should go."

"I think you should stay."

"Sam, if I stay, I'm lost. I've been trying so hard--"

He leaned over and trapped the rest of her word in with a kiss. She took in a sharp breath and pulled back, her eyes wide.

"It's okay," he said, his voice low. "You're not out to get me, I know."

"I just want you to be happy," she whispered.

"Do you think you can help with that?"

She pondered on this, and he could see the shift in her as she decided to take the dive. How the fear was replaced by hope, how it turned into longing, lust. Love. It was just like it had been inside the cage, her hope giving him wings. And for the first time in what felt like forever, he actually wanted someone. Wanted her.

"There's nothing I want more. To make you happy. To make Sammy laugh and see you smile and... Oh, Sam, this is horrible."

He let out a short laugh. "What's horrible?"

"That I have no idea what's going on inside your head, what you want. You have that smirk and you look so incredibly hot in that suit and all I want is to-- Shut up because there's a baby in the room."

"Okay then." He took a step forward and scooped her in his arms.

Christine giggled silently into his shoulder and wrapped her arms around his neck as he stepped out of the nursery and across the hall into his bedroom. When he put her down, she kept her arms around him.

"Are we really doing this?" she asked.

"We can try. Because this time, there's so much more at stake. This time, we're so much better."

"I love you so much," she whispered.

He didn't know if he did, not yet. As much as he'd rushed into it the first time, this time it was different. But that didn't mean he didn't want to see where it would go.

Because Christine had made his life better in every possible way in the last five months. So when he leaned over and kissed her it felt new and extraordinary. When she kissed him back, it was like fire spreading through him, burning away all the negativity and pain.

When he slid the dress over her shoulders and let it fall to the floor, it was because he wanted to, because he meant it. Skye had been right, as always. He still loved her and everything she represented, but that didn't mean he couldn't also love someone else. Someone who would understand that Skye will never be gone. And Chrsitine did.

Maybe this really was worth it. They were both flawed, but he was willing to take a chance on them. Make it work.

Hope.

To Be Continued

🏯🏯🏯

I can't believe this is the end! I was so not ready for this and it came out of nowhere.

We get a wedding. Yay! Was it a nice wedding? And we also get a surprise visit from Snitch. Best wedding gift ever.

And can you believe it? Everyone is finally happy. And who knows? Maybe Tangie actually stands a chance now. And Christine and Sam sort of hooked up there at the end and maybe this time it works out between them because they're both so different.

I hoped you liked this fuzzy ending. I have been picturing it for a very long time and actually getting to write it was a bit shockinh.

Huge author's note to come. Don't forget to vote and comment and cry with me because holy hell, I can't believe it's over.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro