Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The sun lingers on the horizon, chasing away the shadows of the night. Thin, dark shapes glide through the tips of the trees, singing songs to one another as they join in the sky. I lean against the windowsill, my chin in my hands, as I inhale the crisp morning air. Winter has well and truly left, and the sun warms my skin as it peeks over the trees.

Down below, the village is awakening along with the sun. People slowly drift into the streets from their homes, and many spill from the castle where they temporarily reside, resuming their tasks. So much blood spilled, so much distraction, and the evidence lies in the village below—well, what's left of it.

I drag myself from the window and quickly dress for the day before braiding my hair back. The gold-rimmed edges of the vanity glisten in the sun as it pierces through the window. After Elias left and life slowed down, I looked at myself, really looked at myself—and the past few months were evident in my face—the dark circles, the tired eyes. But now, my reflection stares back—dark hair and eyes, my skin plump, a shade darker from spending time under the sun. I feel more alive than ever.

Elias had been right when he said he'd be back sooner than I thought; the past month of his absence has flown by faster than I can fathom. It simultaneously feels like forever and no time at all. But today, he returns. The knowledge of that thrums through my veins to the beat of my heart.

It's strange moving throughout the castle and coming across the villagers in the halls. I'm used to it being so empty, but so much of the village was destroyed, not only by Cynthia but by the fires Elias' started. I smile as I pass, relieved when they reciprocate. I don't know what changed their minds, but I've been accepted by those who survived. Something I never thought possible.

I thought I'd risen early, but as usual, Eric puts me to shame. By the time I reach outside he's already covered in soot and dirt as he surveys one of the fallen cabins. He eyes me when I appear at his side.

"Morning," he comments. "I thought I'd get a started a little earlier this morning." He eyes the area around us wearily. I know he'd wanted to have the village clear by the time Elias and Cassia got back, and we've made a lot of progress. The debris around the front of the castle has been cleared for the most part, and some of the villagers have already started to rebuild new structures.

But where we are, behind the castle, it still looks disastrous. This is the area that was damaged the most—not one of the cabins survived the fire, all nothing but piles of burnt wood and broken structures.

"We've done so much already," I say.

Eric grunts in a way that I know means he doesn't agree. I don't blame him. I understand what he's feeling, somewhat. Aside from a few handwritten letters from Cassia, we have no idea what mental state Elias is in.

The elders declared his gifts well and truly gone. The last time I'd spoken with him he'd seemed conflicted by the possibility that they would be gone. But it doesn't matter what damage they may have caused to his life, they were apart of him just as much as his wolf side is—losing that can't be without consequences to the mind. And to see the evidence of what he once could do is the last thing he needs.

I step over a pile of wood, standing amongst the charcoal and remains of people's belongings. Amongst the rubble, something gold glints beneath the sun. I pick it up, rubbing the black tainting it. It's a locket of some kind, damaged in a way that it won't open. Tucking it in my pocket, I make a mental note to add it to the rising pile of findings in the infirmary for people to sift through.

"Any word?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "They should be here this afternoon."

"But how do you know if you haven't gotten word?"

"They left yesterday."

"But—"

"They're coming today, Milena."

Eric and I work for most of the morning, several others joining us in the clean-up. There are so many belongings in the rubble—drawings, books, jewellery—all black with ash. The sun beats down on us as it travels across the sky; a little boy named Markus occasionally darts out from the castle to bring us water. It's nearly midday by the time we're interrupted.

"Great work, everyone. Really impressed with what you've done today."

I swing around, spying Bastian lounging against one of the trees watching us. Eric doesn't even spare him a glance, wiping a hand across his sweaty forehead.

"Nice of you to join us," I call. "We could use some more help."

He pretends to wince as he takes a step. "You know I would've loved to but with the legs and all... what can I do?"

I roll my eyes. I hadn't seen him the entire time Cynthia and Malik were here; he'd been chained up in the prisons and my only time down there was when I saw Aaliyah. Cynthia had broken both his legs. But he's also a shifter, and everyone knows they healed weeks ago. He continues to milk the injury.

"Watchmen have signalled they're on their way. Just came down to say everything is set up," he says. "We're just waiting on the rest of you to join us."

I meet Eric's eye, a nervous energy threading in my stomach. I knew we'd been here for some time, but I hadn't realised how long. I wipe my hands on my pants self-consciously, noticing the way Eric's skin is caked in dirt and ash. This is not the way I wanted to attend the celebration of return. But we've run out of time.

"We're coming," Eric says, moving to round up the others. I drop the piece of wood in my hand and meet Bastian, patting my hair down.

"Is everyone ready?" I ask.

"Everyone but you two, apparently." I swat his arm, making him laugh.

Together, we walk through the trees around to the front of the castle. There's a dull murmur of chatter around the corner, coming to into focus we escape the clutches of the forest. Eric's only a beat behind us, drawing everyone's attention as the conversation dulls to a murmur. The gathering reminds me of the First Run celebration, everyone dressed in their nicest clothes, tables and food set up along with a band. It feels surreal, the last public gathering we held here was to commemorate all of those who lost their lives. Aaliyah was the only one who was familiar to me, but there were children amongst the casualties.

We're greeted with warm smiles, eyes wide with anticipation, but even that doesn't ease the anxiety gnawing at my stomach. Bastian and I join the crowd, standing in the middle on the edge. Eric steps up the front of says a few words. I have to muffle my laugh—the past month has shown me why Cassia was second in command. Eric looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than talking to the villagers, not exactly the greatest trait for a leader.

I pat down my hair.

Bastian leans over. "Don't worry, you look great."

My cheeks warm. "I'm not worried."

"Oh good, because you look like you've been rolling around in a pile of dirt." I smack his arm, harder this time. He chuckles just as Eric turns his body towards the treeline. The crowd quietens, an energy radiating through the ground that makes me so nervous I could be sick. They've heard something.

Seconds later, they emerge from the treeline. Elias comes first, then Cassia, both carrying large packs on their back. I stand on my toes to see better, wishing I had super vision like Bastian who doesn't have to strain his eyes. The second my I can clearly see my heart skips. Cassia's hair's longer, almost to her chest. She wears a warm smile as she emerges, surveying the crowd behind Eric.

The last memory I have of Elias, he looked worn and weary. He could barely support his own weight. But now, this Elias, he could rival the one I met when I cowered from him the night they attacked my village. He stands tall, broad shoulders back and chin lifted. His hair has been cut close to his scalp, making his features seem even more angular. Eric meets them a few feet away, pulling them both in for a hug as they exchange a couple of words.

My nails dig into my palms as I push forward, through the crowd. Elias looks over, eyes scanning the cluster of people, looking for something, someone. By the time I reach the front, his gaze has already found mine. I keep moving forward, stopping till I'm side by side with Eric.

"Hey," I murmur, shifting from foot to foot.

A look of amusement plays across his features. "Hey?"

I flush. I've been waiting for this day for a month and all I can think of to say is 'hey'. "I—"

He laughs, and with no hesitation, pulls me into his arms. The anxiety in my stomach settles as my head presses against his chest and I can hear the pump of his heart—strong and fast.

"Sorry," I murmur, voice muffled against his chest. "I'm all dirty."

I'm pulled from his grasp before he can say anything and into Cassia's, her grip making it hard to breathe.

"It's so good to see you," she says, squeezing me. "All of you."

The crowd cheers as the band begins to play, a euphoric tune filling the air. I turn back to look at Elias but he's been swallowed by the crowd of people, each wanting to see him, talk to him, embrace him. There's a warm feeling in my chest as I watch him—the curve of his smile, the firm grip of his handshakes.

I once hurt for him for being forced into the position of being a leader when he didn't want it. But now, I realise it doesn't matter how this role came upon him. They are his people, and he loves them. Nothing could ever change that.

"I hope you're hungry," Bastian says, hobbling forward and slinging an arm over Cassia's shoulder.

"Starving," Cassia responds. "Legs still sore?"

He nods. I shove him. "Liar."

Cassia laughs. "I've missed this place," she says warmly, grabbing my hand. "Come on, let's get some food. I can smell it all the way from over here."

It seems to take us hours to move through the crowd, each person we pass wanting words with Cassia. She keeps her hand in mine the whole time. I don't mind sticking with her; Elias is otherwise occupied, and the truth is, I've missed her more than I thought I would. Whatever hatred burned within me has dwindled into nothing. There's something different between us now—I always knew why she did what she did to me, but I didn't understand because I had no true grasp of what it meant to really love someone. Now, I know the lengths you go to for those you love.

By the time we reach the table, others have already seated themselves. Cassia pulls me to the head, practically forcing me down on one of the benches, and shovels food onto her plate.

"This is for your ears only," she says to me as Bastian sits across from me. "The food on the coast is better."

Bastian frowns. "Hey, I spent hours preparing that."

"That's why I said it was for Milena's ears only."

He glares at her before serving himself. Slowly, the rest of the people take their seats, the conversation jovial. Elias and Eric slowly make their way to our table, Eric sitting beside Bastian. Elias sits at the head, only one place away from me. I watch him as he settles, distracted by one of the villagers on the table next to us. Annoyingly, Harrison joins us, too, rudely shoving Bastian aside to take the seat across from me, the other side of Elias.

"It is so great to see you back," he says, his voice sickeningly sweet. "This place has been falling apart in your absence." I frown, casting a look at Eric who just ignores him, unbothered. "We've gotten a few things back up and running again."

"No thanks to you," I murmur beneath my breath, but he catches it, narrowing his eyes at me. I can feel Elias' gaze, making my cheeks hot, but I don't dare look.

"Anyway," Harrison continues, beginning to babble on about the work he's done the past month. I zone him out, hating myself for feeling annoyed that once again, Elias' attention is drawn elsewhere. It's selfish, I know it is, which is why I keep my mouth shut and force myself to focus on other things.

I watch the band, imagining the music swirling in the air around them. Celebrations like this last for hours in the shifter village, sometimes even days. I know the musicians will be playing right into the night, but the villagers need it—something to celebrate after such a hard month.

I jolt when something brushes my hand under the table, eyes darting to Elias. He doesn't look at me, still engaged in a conversation with Harrison that does not look thrilling at all, but his fingers toy with mine, pulling my hand from the fist it's in the wrap it in his own. My stomach flutters as I turn to Bastian, watching me with a cheeky grin.

"What?" I demand.

He pops a potato in his mouth. "Oh, nothing." Then, he winks.

I pretend I don't notice, turning to talk to Cassia who tells us about their time on the coast. To my relief, and surprise, the elders didn't subject either of them to anything painful or torturous, but the knowledge doesn't reduce my dislike for them, nor does it change my feelings towards Malik. I never want to see any of them ever again.

~

Like I suspected, the celebration goes well into the night. A bonfire has been lit in the centre, flames leaping in the air as the villagers dance around it. The musicians have swapped out, and people graze at the tables occasionally. I still haven't had much of a chance to talk with Elias. After Harrison stopped talking, others came up, desperate for his attention—and he selflessly gave it to them, all the while drawing circles with his thumb on the back of my hand.

He got pulled away shortly after finishing eating, and I haven't really seen him since. Cassia and Bastian dance in front of me, ducking under one anothers arms and doing moves that once again, prove Bastian's legs are completely fine. I laugh as I watch them, occasionally pulled back in, until Eric appears by my side.

"Hey," he says. "You okay?"

I haven't seen much of him, tonight either, but when I have, he's been his usual self—stoic and looking extremely bored. "Of course. Why?"

"I know this isn't really your scene."

I laugh. "What? And it is yours?" He shoots me a look. "To be honest, my ears are ringing, and my feet hurt."

"It has been a while."

"It's been nearly seven hours!"

A hint of a smile passes across his lips. "They need this."

He's right. They, meaning the villagers. I turn back to look at them, the joy in their faces, the glee in the air. This celebration isn't for Cassia or Elias, they're not the ones who'd enjoy it, well, maybe Cassia, but certainly not Elias. And yet he engages with every single person who speaks with him anyway.

"I'm going to change," I say, noticing Eric's bathed and changed clothes since we were clearing the rubble. Now I'm the only one looking like a mess. "I'll be right back, I look and feel disgusting."

"That's probably for the best."

"I hate you."

"No, you don't."

Walking away from him, I head towards the castle. If I'd known Eric was going to change I would've earlier. I've just been brewing in these clothes all day. My skin feels like it's got a layer of grime.

After scrubbing my skin, I throw clean clothes and head back down. My ears still ring from the music, and even from afar, it wafts through the trees towards me. I feel extremely drained and find myself wandering in the opposite direction, up the hill to the lookout spot. There's no one there when I arrive, everyone down at the celebration, and I settle on the ground, looking out over the treetops. The music wafts towards me, shifting to a slower tune, but the volume is more bearable from up here.

I'm so distracted by the sound of it that I don't notice the sound of someone coming up behind me, nearly jumping out of my skin when they speak.

"There you are." I spin around, heart hammering as Elias meets my gaze. "You're missing the dancing."

"I've done enough of that tonight to last me a lifetime."

He smiles, settling down beside me, taking my hand in his. Just like the last time, it catches me off guard. I'm so used to him being distant, creating as much space between us as he could, that the nonchalant way he takes my hand sends my heart into overdrive.

"I thought you might've turned in for the night."

"I did consider it," I admit, looking out at the stars. "But I don't think I'd be able to sleep with all that's going on."

"Milena," he says my name like it's a song. I can't stop myself from turning to him, captured in those honey eyes. He shifts closer, turning so he's facing me. "Is everything okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"You seem... distant."

I blink at him, almost shocked. There's an uncertainty in his gaze, and his thumb, the one rubbing the top of my hand, pauses. Distant. Is that how I came across?

"I—everything is fine I'm just... I was just nervous to see you. I don't know."

His expression relaxes. "Nervous?"

"I know it sounds stupid."

"Good nervous or bad nervous?"

Either way, it made me sick to my stomach. "Is being nervous ever a good thing?"

"Yes."

"Good nervous then." I frown. "I guess."

His eyes warm, glowing brighter than the stars above him. "For a second there I thought you might've changed your mind."

"Changed my mind?"

He reaches forward, brushing a few stray strands from my braid to tuck them behind my ear. I shudder. "I've spent the last month thinking of you, what you were doing, what you were wearing, what you were thinking, who you were talking to, how many arguments you were having with Eric." He smiles. "Just you."

Just you.

It feels like the sun is shining down on me.

"I've thought of you, too." For much longer than the past month.

Down below, the song changes again. I recognise it immediately, a softer sound. It's the song they played at the First Run, so long ago when I still didn't know the truth about Elias. I was drawn to him then, just as much as I am now. And we'd danced together, to this exact song.

Elias rises to his feet, pulling me with him. He wraps his arms around me, holding me at a distance, swaying to the sound of the music.

My heart hammers in my chest as I look up at him, the space between our bodies alive with energy. "Do you remember this song?" I whisper.

"It's a very old song, they've played it since I was just a boy, usually at weddings," he murmurs. "It's called Amplexus."

"What does that mean?"

"Embrace." Though it doesn't seem possible, he holds me closer. "I used to hate it; you know. I hated watching people dance to it." He leans in closer, mouth by my ear. "Now, it just reminds me of you. Of the night of the First Run."

"You remember that?"

"I'll never forget it."

I shudder as he pulls back, breath warm against my throat. When our eyes meet, he feels even closer. "People are going to notice you're missing soon."

He hums. "You think?"

"You are the guest of honour."

"Then shouldn't I get to decide how I spend my celebration?"

I bite my lip to keep from smiling. "And how's that?"

He pulls back, looking down at me in a way that makes my stomach twist with nerves. Good nerves. But he doesn't answer, leaning forward and pressing his lips to mine instead. It's gentle at first, so soft it's like the kiss of the breeze. My hands drop to his shoulders, pulling him closer. He tightens his grip, holding me against his chest as one hand snakes to curve around the back of my neck.

His kiss deepens. My skin is so hot it feels like it could burn. The music fades away, everything in the night is insignificant compared to him. There's no hesitation, no holding back, no fear that he'll burn me. There's just us, holding onto one another in ways we never could before.

Elias pulls back, resting his forehead against mine, our ragged breaths mingling together. "You should know Bastian's coming up here, he's about a minute away from us."

I've never wanted to hit Bastian more in my life. He must've noticed I was missing, and he knows I often come up here. "So that's how you knew where I was," I assume, pulling back slightly. 

"Bastian didn't tell me if that's what you mean.."

"Then how?"

He smiles. "Have you forgotten?" He steals one more kiss, eyes burning amber when he pulls back. "I found my way to you, Milena. I always will."

~

Well, it's over. Can't believe I'm finally saying goodbye to Milena. While I only posted it on Wattpad in 2019, I started writing Creatures of the Night when I was 13, and I'm not 22, so that's a long time to be with a character. I'm really excited to move onto other projects, but will always miss Milena and Elias!

One of my favourite things about this story is the amazing readers I've met through it. The highlight of my week is updating because you guys all make it such an exciting experience. You leave the most thoughtful, heartfelt comments. I love seeing you dissect character choices and trying to work out the mysteries! I hope to see you on some of my other stories. Because with everything--my publishing deal and other exciting things in the mix for Creatures of the Night (that you will soon hear about), you guys, the readers, have been the most rewarding!

Don't forget to add CLOUD PIERCER to your reading lists and libraries! 

~ Grace

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro