Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The rain poured and drummed on the deck, the men were soaked and the ropes slipped through my hands burning them, not even the falling rain soothed them. "All this for gold," Billy yelled as he helped to haul the ropes securing the mast.

"It could be worse, we could be dead and at the bottom of the ocean," I said.

"True, but we've been tailing the Urca for months and this is the first evidence we've seen of it, even chasing it into a storm is foolish," he replied.

"The captain is gold-hungry," I reminded him, "it's a curse I have heard that many suffer from." Before things could get any worse there was a break in the clouds and we hit a strip of sea that was calm. We had drifted in the direction of Pirate Island, but the Urca was nowhere to be seen. Billy and I walked the deck checking on all the men, most were drenched and cold, a few were injured but most were fine. Flint stood at the wheel looking down at us all.

"Men! Don't get too comfortable here, we will recuperate and stock up on the supplies lost in the storm," he said as we sailed into port. I stood on the side using the ropes to balance myself. As soon as the ship came to a standstill and was secured we disembarked quickly, I tucked the pendant holding seawater into my shirt and raced to the tavern with the other men. We leant on the bar joining in with the shanties that were being sung, the sirens of the sea were the focus tonight. I huffed a giggle to myself.

"Of course," I giggled. Flint joined us a few minutes later.

"I just wanted to say you and Billy worked well together today, just to think one day Tom you could take over the quartermaster position," Flint said and slapped me on the back almost knocking my hat off, I grabbed the brim immediately and tucked my long golden wavy hair back into it. "We are lucky to have a lad like you aboard."

"Pleasure to serve under you captain," I said.

"In the morning I want you, Billy and Gates to go to the warehouse and pick up all the supplies and load them onto the ship," he said. We all nodded. "Which means no rum," he said and took all the mugs away from us.

"You're no fair," I pined.

"It's for the best, you can all let your guard down after tomorrow when the ship is stocked again," he said. Gates and Flint left Billy and I alone.

"He's right you know," Billy said.

"Huh?" I asked.

"You've been a great addition to the crew, I am surprised you bounced back as quick as you did," he said.

"Well you all took it in turns to care for me, I guess you all did a good job," I shrugged.

"I guess we did," he smiled and gently nudged my arm.

"Okay don't get smug," I giggled.

"I'm not," he said.

"Yes you are, I can see it on your face," I replied.

The next day...

Gates, Billy and I went to the warehouse, being the smallest I climbed over the cargo to make sure it was all there, I counted every sack in every crate. "Is it all there Tom?" Billy asked.

"Yep," I nodded and jumped down next time, while Billy finished with the paperwork Gates and I took the cargo to the ship. It took us a few hours however, once it was done we took it easier in the tavern.

"Is it all safe?" Flint asked approaching us.

"It is yes," I nodded.

"Good," he smiled and knocked his mug against ours. "I knew I could count on you three."

"Always," Billy said. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro