{19} Sketched Hearts

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"hermosa, it's just me"

The loose baby hair was obstructing my eyes as I ran through the hallways, trying to escape the footsteps behind me. After my rant, I thought Carson would listen to me and stay away.

I didn't think he'd chase after me to prove my words wrong.

I didn't know but I could estimate that lunch was about to begin soon, then the hallways would be crowded again. I would normally tremble at the thought but today, I was counting on it. I've been known to be invisible and blend into the crowd so that's what I'm going to do.

I have to run a little longer to stall, so when the bell rings, all the students will rush out, I'll be gone and Carson won't be able to find me. I just don't know the time so I could be running for a minute or five. I can run in that amount, I have kept myself fit, it's simply because I have nowhere to run. I can't keep circling around the hallways, aware that Carson would catch up at some point.

"Iris!" Carson shouted, but I didn't dare turn around. I pretended that I couldn't hear him and kept going. I kept my breath steady and head straight, not wanting to lose focus of what I was trying to accomplish. Escape Carson.

The more I ran, the hallways seemed to be closed inwards and shortened. Everything looked familiar and I wasn't sure where I was anymore. It didn't matter. I had to keep running.

It was after I passed the toilets when I heard no footsteps beside my own converse slapping against the tiles. "He's gone?" I whispered questioningly to myself as my brows furrowed as silence replaced Carson's loud steps followed me before. I twisted around for the first time to find that Carson was gone. He's given up. That's good. That's very good.

I sighed and leaned downwards a little to catch my breath, my heartbeat at increased, nevertheless, my breath was still solid, meaning my lack of exercise the past year or two hadn't affected my fitness.

I stood back up, placing my hands on my hips, examining my surroundings. Discarded paper and pencils were scattered everywhere especially near the grey lockers which were scratched and battered. Permanent marker blotched the lockers and spread cruel messages that were likely to be false. The light a few metres from where I was standing was flickering on and off, making the hallway very dim.

Since Carson was gone, I could easily go to my locker and get my sketching things. But now he knows where I head during lunch, meaning I'll have to hide someplace else. I let out an exasperated breath, already dreading the idea that popped into my head.

I wasn't going to eat anything today so I might as well sketch in the girl's bathrooms. They were cleaner than the hallways, something you don't find at any schools very often. Girls here cared a lot about sanitary barring those who hooked up with guys on a daily basis. Either way, no one trashed the toilets. There would always be that one person who would litter toilet paper all over the floors and dump them in the toilets, but here, no one did that. So it was safe for me to reside in there for the forty minutes.

I stood up, stretching my legs a little. Now that Carson was gone, I didn't need to wait for the bell to ring so I could hide. I could go straight to my locker now.

I started walking again, but something harshly pulled my left arm to the side. I shrieked, but a large hand covered my mouth and my back was pressed against someone.

"Hermosa, it's just me."

I shoved his hand off my mouth and swiftly spun around. "C-Carson?"

He shot me a sheepish smile. "I took a shortcut and waited for you here."

I shook my head, turning to run away again but his arm pulled me back.

"Iris, I'm sorry," he apologised, resting his two hands on each side of my shoulder.

I bit my lip, feeling my whole body heat up at the closeness. The safest thing I could do was deter my eyes so they were analysing the very interesting ground or perhaps a very pretty locker.

"Iris," Carson whispered, taking his right hand off my shoulder to place it on my chin and lifted my face up to his eyes that were the main focus. "Believe me when I say I'm sorry. I didn't know. I know it's a crappy excuse but I'm sorry. I didn't know those things were happening, I didn't know I made you feel insecure or worried. I'm sorry about the rumours, I'm sorry about the trouble I put you through. Please forgive me?"

I pushed away from him, shaking my head. "I d-don't understand."

Why is he saying sorry? Why didn't he stay away? Why did he even talk to me in the first place? Which of my theories were true?

The last two months had been rocky and confusing. I didn't need to step out of my comfort zone, he literally pulled me out. I'm not saying it was bad, I did enjoy my time with him but it was just confusing.

What if someday he just leaves? What if he pretends I'm invisible again after everything we did. What if it was just a dare and then he goes after he finishes it?

"What don't you understand? I'll explain," he said. "Wait. The bell will ring soon. Just please forgive me? Let's go to the bench and I'll answer whatever questions you want me to.

I hesitated but nodded.

We walked in horrible silence but eventually reached the bench. We sat down and Carson looked at me, waiting for my questions to be thrown at him.

"Tell me the truth," I requested, staring directly into his eyes, not stammering and showing no signs of nervousness to emphasise that I was really serious.

"About?"

"Everything. Why did you flirt with me? Why did you suddenly stop? Why did you become friends with me? Why abruptly stop your usual lunches in the Cafeteria and spend it with someone like me? Why call me beautiful when I'm not? Why compliment me when I know they're lies? Why?" I rambled, hoping I would get perfect answers to all the questions that had been clawing at my skin for the past two months.

Carson sighed. "You really want the truth?"

I paused, then nodded slowly.

"Okay." He recoiled slightly and that made me terrified of what he was going to say. The way he said that made me think at least one of my theories were right. He only did this as a dare or blackmail. Maybe I wasn't paying him but someone was.

I nodded again to tell him I was ready.

"I flirted with you because Jett told me to. I stopped because I saw you were getting really creeped out. I became friends because Jett told me to. I hung out with you at lunch because I enjoyed it. I called you beautiful because you are. I complimented you because they are true and you deserve them."

I shook my head. "Why?"

"Because...Jett told me to. It was a dare," he said and it made my heart stop. I knew it. I knew it. I knew it wasn't true! I turn to walk away but he pulled me back. "No, please, wait. I'm not done."

I keep my face stone hard and slowly sit down.

"Then I actually saw how nice you were so I really regretted flirting with you and decided to be friends. And I'd never had a real friend before besides Jett and May."

Suddenly all my anger and drive disappeared and returned with anxiousness and panic. I shook my head. "I-I don't believe you. Everyone at school is your friend."

He shook his head. "They pretend to be my friend. You're real," he said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I pushed it off. "N-No. You can't be friends with me. I'm invisible and you're y-you. This isn't real. This is a prank. Or a dare. Stop lying to me."

"Iris."

"It's n-not true. I'm not your f-friend."

"Iris."

"I'm not p-pretty. I'm not popular."

"Iris."

"No. Stop lying!"

"Iris!"

I shook my head, looking at him coldly. "Stop. Lying."

"Iris, believe me."

I shook my head. "No."

"You are my friend. Admit it, we both enjoy each other's company."

"No. It's not true."

"It is. It's true. Please believe me."

I examined his eyes, taking in all the information he left. His eyes glimmered with hope and vulnerability. He looked at me pleadingly. Was this true? I still didn't know. Maybe it was just an act and he was a great actor.

"Iris. I swear to you. At first, it was a prank but now it's real."

"You promise this is the complete truth?" I asked, hesitating.

He nodded again.

"Pinkie promise?" I raised up my pinkie and smiled timidly. Pinkie promises are the most unbreakable bonds.

Carson chuckled and held up his pinkie too and hooked it in mine. "Pinkie promise."

Then I realised this whole thing had been Jett's fault. At least that was what my brain was telling me and I didn't know whether to be a cruel person and blame him or not. He was the one who dared Carson and confused me. I hadn't even met the boy.

I looked at Carson straight in the eyes. "I want to meet Jett tomorrow at lunch right here." I tried my very best to not stutter so I sounded certain.

He nodded and smiled the brightest smile I'd ever seen. "So friends?"

I nodded.

"I'll ask Jett and maybe May can tag along too." 

a/n: vote and comment x

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro