16♠ A Guarantee

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

She was lying—as if I was a blind man without an ounce of discernment, this woman downplayed her injuries to me like I was mentally lacking, and that boiled my blood.

Her skin was adorned with cuts and bruises. A rather large gash ran from her temple, just passed the center of her forehead. Just looking at her face had my fists clenching, but Icadia's environment was not an opponent one could ever battle and win.

Still, these were the least concerning of her injuries.

Moments ago, she attempted to stand up, and I watched as her body twitched due to the pain seizing her small form. I wouldn't know for sure the extent of her wounds until later, when I dragged her to the next village in our paths, demanding their healer see her. I'd carry the stubborn woman if I had to, I just hoped such a healer existed. The gift was not uncommon, but it took a seer to spot it and point it out in one. Without that, a healer could go their whole lives without knowing they carried the grace.

It was a gamble we had to take, unless somehow we could guarantee we'd actually find one, soon. This woman would need all the help she could get if she was to find any relief from her pain quickly.

And yet, here she was, lying through her teeth. I couldn't fathom the reason, if not for the sake of her pride. And if that were so, I had no time for such things when we were in our predicament.

Delayed, once again.

The tunnel would have kept us on schedule, but to have to go around the mountains would add days to our journey—days we could not afford with the Forsaken on our trail.

"Do you take me for a fool, woman?" I snapped, stepping closer 'til we were on the same side of the fire. Her grey eyes followed my every movement in defense. "Well, do you?!"

"If you continue to speak to me like that, then yes, I do," she said, her tone short and clipped. "I am not a child."

Looking her over, there was no doubt of that, but my focus was on her unwillingness to cooperate with me. If I was to keep her breathing in this world, she had to be honest with me.

She had to trust me.

"If that's so, then stop behaving like one," I argued, much to her dislike. "I asked you a simple question. 'Where does it hurt?' I did not ask for you to lie, or play down the extremities of your injuries." When her pink lips moved to rebuttal, I pressed my point further, not giving her the opportunity. "Don't bother denying what I already know, Sparrow. I've suffered far worse injuries to know that your right shoulder is dislocated," her eyes widened. "And your head is concussed. Judging by how you couldn't stand completely straight up, I'm assuming some of your ribs are cracked as well. Perhaps even broken."

Holding her stare, I watched as her lips tightened into a frown as she processed my words. Her gaze was calculating, but I was immovable.

"And you could tell all that, just by looking at me," she stated, although I knew she wanted me to confirm it.

"When you've been fighting the war as long as I have, all it takes is a glance." And then your own nightmares resurface.

Once again, silence enveloped us. Whatever was on her mind, she was keeping to herself, as always. I would have voiced my frustration, if she hadn't said what she did.

"Okay."

It wasn't much, but for Sparrow, that was as close to an agreement as I would get.

"Rest up," I replied, my irritation mildly subsiding as I looked at her tired, battered face. A woman should not have to endure such things, no matter her strength. "We leave at dawn."

Walking back to my spot on the log, I whistled for Timber to come near. The small fox wasted no time meeting me, looking up at me with her dark black eyes. I watched as they glazed over, before returning slightly lighter. That's when I knew that she had established a tether with her lynk.

The young fox was perceptive, I had to admit. She and Cullen had only been bonded for 3 years, yet they worked better than most shadoebonded pairs. Not quite as one as Sparrow, and her Oak, but well enough to be one of our best in the camp.

Tilting down until I was closer to the tethered creature, I spoke softly, not wanting the woman mere meters away to overhear what I was going to say.

"Cullen."

When Timber nodded her head, I continued.

"The tunnel route is blocked. We're goint to have to go through Ravenhood's territory," I stated firmly.

The fox shook her head in disagreement, most likely under the unction of her lynk. Cullen knew the tales told of Ravenhood. He and his bandits were the heart of the rebels—Icadians that sided with whoever gave them what they wanted. They knew no such thing as morals or honor; only profit, trickery, and survival. Taking Sparrow through his land was not ideal, but it would get her to the safety of Camp Genesis quicker than if we went around it. The longer we were outside General Paxton's protection, the more chances the Forsaken would have to find out who she was—if they hadn't already.

"I see you don't agree," I commented, running my hands down the thighs of my pants. "It is a good thing I outrank you in this matter, because we are going there as soon as dawn breaks. I am only telling you this so you can meet us on the other side with reinforcements. Whatever we have on our backs, I'm certain we won't leave Ravenhood's with."

With a small whimper, Timber bowed her head in submission, showing Cullen's reluctant compliance. There was not much else he could do.

"Thank you. I'll send word to Beau. He'll be waiting for you and the others." When his shadoe nodded, I could see their tether begin to dissolve, and that's when I thought of it. A guarantee. "Wait!"

The shifting of Sparrow in her light slumber caused me to pause, waiting for her to settle again. When she was still, I instructed, "Bring Lydia. We'll need her abilities." Just in case.

There was a slight hesitation before Timber nodded and I watched as the fox regained complete control of herself once again.

"What are you to do, now?" I asked her. "Are you returning to your lynk?"

The only answer I recieved was that of her pawing the snow she stood on until it was softened, followed by her curling up on it, postitioned to sleep.

"I guess you're staying."

Watching the animal fall into slumber, I surveillanced our perimeter, scanning over the top of the flames every so often until I felt rest begin to pull at me. I wanted to keep the fire burning as long as possible for Sparrow's sake, since she was the only one out of us three that could not draw warmth to sustain herself. After an hour more, I snuffed the flames out, deeming it time I slept.

I wasn't sure how long I was under before my fat bastard of a bear forced another tether on me, ripping me from my reality, into his. The pain was just beginning to subside when I felt him urging me to look ahead, through his eyes.

And what I saw chilled me to my core

Oh God. We're running out of time.

♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠

Second update of the day! 😃

And I'm so pumped to write the next one! The things I have planned 😈 hehehehe!

Also, sorry if these last few chapters have seemed boring. I know it's mostly dialogue, but you gotta appreciate the calm BEFORE the storm 😃.

What do you guys think of my cliffhangers? Do you love 'em? Hate 'em? Loathe them? 😂

Until next time!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro