Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Chapter Three;

Qian walked through the forest, sticking to the vague trials through the trees. She had no idea where to start looking for Zuko, but she didn't think it would be likely for him to stray from these trails. She knew she wouldn't.

Qian kept her hands resting on her knives. She hadn't been alone in the woods for a long time – and even then, it hadn't been for a very long period of time. Every noise made her jump, but she forced herself to keep walking. This was something she had to do.

If Zuko was in any way sincere in offering his help... She wanted to help the others realise it, too. And first she'd need to talk to him, to get a clear understanding of his intentions.

Qian prowled onward, almost certain she would become lost in the woods, until she spotted smoke rising from the trees. A slow grin spread across her face. Where there was smoke, there was fire.

And she bet that fire belonged to Zuko.

She suppressed the part of her that panicked at the idea of fire in the woods. That brought back memories almost too painful to bear – the catalyst for everything that had gone wrong with her family. But she squared her shoulders. She was not going to let this get in her way.

Qian picked her way through the trees, veering toward the signal. She spotted a clearing up ahead, but paused in the shadows.

Yes, there was Zuko, holding his head in his hands in front of the fire.

She cleared her throat loudly. "Zuko?"

The Crown Prince whipped around. For some reason, there was real fear in his eyes. "Who's there? I'm sorry about what I did, I didn't mean to burn her -"

"It's okay." Qian stepped out of the shadows and raised her hands. She smiled a little for good measure. "I'm Qian, and I just want to talk. Though what do you mean about burning her?"

Zuko slumped forward. "The earthbender – I'm sorry that I don't know her name – scared me. I burned her when I used fire to defend myself."

Qian winced. "Ah."

He only hung his head.

"Hey, it was an accident. And you sound regretful." Qian stepped closer until she could feel the heat of the flames against her skin. "I'm sure Toph will forgive you, if you explain the situation."

He raised his head, squinting as though staring directly into the sun. "You're new."

"I am. I'm from the Fire Nation."

He sighed. "I thought as much. Are you a firebender?"

"No. Well, yes. In a way. But I don't firebend. I haven't in years – not since I accidentally started a forest fire. It's scared me too much since." She smiled to reassure him, though speaking aloud of the event made her want to shut down. "So don't worry, there's still need of a firebending teacher."

Zuko didn't say anything, but he visibly lost a decent amount of tension in his shoulders.

Qian gestured to the floor beside Zuko. "Can I join you?"

"Might as well."

Qian settled herself down. For a while, there was no sound other than the crackle of the flames and leaves in the wind.

After hating the royal family for so long, it was strange to think she was sitting beside the Crown Prince. Qian peeked at him out of the corner of her eye. If she didn't know Zuko was royalty, she would never have thought so. The scar on his face, for one thing, was too horrible to imagine being inflicted deliberately on someone of such high importance. He slouched when he sat, and he was withdrawn – not at all snobby or bossy as Qian would have assumed most royalty would be.

He's just like me.

"What are you here for?" he asked eventually.

Qian shrugged. "I know the others turned you away. But I believe you're sincere." She placed a hand on his knee. "I want to help you. I know only too well what it's like to grow up with a not-so-perfect family."

Sympathy flashed across his face. "I'm sorry. It isn't easy."

"No. It isn't," she agreed quietly. "My mother always blamed me for my father's arrest and made me feel awful ever since. She didn't stop putting me down. I – I felt like wasted space around her."

Qian could feel tears in her eyes, and let them show. Sixteen years of accumulated pain – sometimes, she thought she was close to bursting.

"I know what you mean," he responded, voice like a soft breeze. "My father doesn't have much love for me, either. Neither did my sister."

Their eyes met, and Qian could almost see ribbons unfurl connect the two of them. A bond had forged almost instantly, the kind that results only from going through and understanding another person's greatest pain.

Qian took Zuko's hand. He jolted at the contact, and Qian was prepared to let him go, back he relaxed and rested both their hands on the ground between them.

"Let me help you, Zuko," Qian said. "I'll bring your case to the others. I'll get them to listen to you. Tell me everything you want me to tell them, and I'll relay it."

"You could make them listen?"

"I believe so."

"Then I'll gladly take your help."

Zuko summarised his case as quickly and clearly as he could. When he finished, Qian squeezed his hand. "I think I can get them to at least hear you out." She glanced up at the sky. It was already beginning to lighten.

She clambered to her feet. "Come tomorrow, okay? I'll sort this all out."

He nodded. Qian smiled back and turned, heading back to the forest.

Before his camp disappeared from sight, Qian glanced back once, and thought she saw the barest trace of a hopeful smile on his face.

+++

When Qian returned, it was well past daybreak. Zuko must have set up camp further away than she had anticipated.

Toph was being lowered into the water, the others gathered around her. Katara sat beside Toph, while Aang gathered towels. Qian winced when she recalled what Zuko had said, about accidentally burning the earthbender's feet.

Toph exhaled and leaned back. "Ah, that's the stuff. Now I know how the rest of you guys feel. Not being able to see with your feet stinks."

Qian walked until she stood just behind the group. "Miss me?"

Katara gasped. "Qian!" she exclaimed, and threw her arms around her friend. "I am so sorry about yesterday, my words came out completely wrong." She held Qian at arm's length. "Forgive me?"

Qian chuckled and lowered Katara's hands. "There's nothing to apologise for. I knew you didn't mean it that way."

Sokka wrapped an arm around Qian's shoulders and pulled her toward him. Qian yelped as she stumbled sideways, though she laughed. "Where were you? We were getting worried."

"Well, I kind of went to see Zuko last night -"

Katara and Sokka blanched; Sokka dropped his arm as though struck by lightning. Toph toppled off her perch on the fountain's edge. Even Aang's eyes widened.

"You too?" Aang exclaimed.

"Yeah." Qian stood straighter. Her heart was beating like a hummingbird, and her palms were sweaty, yet she breathed in and forced herself to swallow her fear. Their reactions weren't great, but she hadn't expected it to be. She had to stand up for her decision – and stand up for Zuko. "Look, guys. I think you're being a bit harsh on him. I talked to Zuko last night. And he didn't -"

Her words were cut off by a scream as a beam of fire impaled the ledge above the fountain, exploding. Qian crouched and raised her hands over her head as debris rained down over them.

Qian's mouth was dry. She could feel the fear surge through her, like fire that had just been fed a whole lot of fuel. She had experienced that type of explosion twice: it was Combustion Man.

"Qian!" Katara hugged at her friend's sleeves. "Come on!"

She didn't need any further encouragement. Qian scrambled to her feet, vaguely aware of Aang and Sokka picking up Toph to carry her away.

"Stop!"

Qian froze. She knew that voice. She spun around and saw Zuko storming up to the Fire Nation assassin, both of them standing on a platform above the fountain.

The Prince's hands balled into fists by his side. "I don't want you hunting the Avatar anymore!"

Despite the dire situation, Qian couldn't help but grin.

Zuko stood in front of the assassin, spreading his arms wide as through to shield their group from Combustion Man's wrath. "The mission is off. I'm ordering you to stop!"

Combustion Man paid no heed. He shoved Zuko out of the way and fired another beam of fire at the fountain. The force of the impact sent Qian to her knees. When she looked up, the stone structure above fountain had been obliterated.

Qian peered over the edge of the pool and saw Zuko run toward the assassin, his hand aflame. "If you keep attacking, I won't pay you!"

He swung his fist at the man, but he gripped Zuko's shirt and held him at arm's length. Qian cried out. "Zuko!" she yelled.

Zuko fought against the man's hold. He must have had a grip like iron, for nothing Zuko did made a difference. "All right, I'll pay you double to stop!"

Neither offer was tempting enough for the man to stop – another fiery blast hurtled their way. Qian only just ducked her head in time to avoid having her head blown off. The blast of energy instead streaked down past fountain and exploded.

Qian peered over the edge and saw Zuko being confronted by the assassin. Zuko only had just enough time to summon a wall of fire to shield himself from the explosion before Combustion Man attacked him.

He might have been protected against being decimated, but the force sent him flying through the air. Qian's breath caught in her throat when she saw Zuko tumble in a flurry of arms and legs, right off the ledge on which he had been standing.

"No!" Qian screamed.

As Aang sent a tornado in the assassin's direction, Qian scrambled for her bow. Blood pounded in her ears. Her hands were shaking, but she had to do this. For Zuko. For their safety.

She wondered if she'd even be able to get in a decent shot when her hands were shaking like leaves in a fierce wind.

Stupid. How will you be of any help if you can't even keep yourself under control? Can you even aim while you're trembling like a five year old child?

Now is not the time! Shut up!

She tightened her grip on her bow. I can do this. I will do this!

Qian twisted on her heel and marched forward, eyes narrowed and glowing like hot coals.

While her back had been turned, Combustion Man had fallen down a few ledges, though he was still positioned above them. Qian raised her

The assassin saw the first arrow coming and manoeuvred out of the way. He wasn't in time enough to anticipate the second one: it buried itself in the flesh of his shoulder, and he bellowed in infuriated pain.

Qian had little time to celebrate – the assassin turned his focus on her, his expression murderous.

"No!" Katara yelled. She dashed forward and raised her hands, the water from the pool rising with them. The water curved up into a huge waved and, with a scream, Katara slashed her arms down and crossed them. The water formed icicle shards and rained down upon Combustion Man.

"Run!" Katara cried to Qian, who had been staring open-mouthed.

"Good idea," Qian said, and chased her friend to meet the others, who were hidden behind a corner. Qian leaned against the wall and caught her breath, a little giddy with her success. It was small, yes, but she'd done it. There was reason to be proud.

The grin slipped off her face when blasts continued to assault the area they'd been gathered, even though they were out of sight. Pillars holding the stone platform up began to shatter.

"He's going to blast this whole place right off the cliff side!" Toph exclaimed.

Qian bit her lip, fear rising within her once again.

Katara peeked from behind the pillar, and ducked behind it just in time as another explosion rocketed the area.

"I can't step out to waterbend at him without getting blown up. And I can't get a good enough angle on him from down here!" she grumbled.

Sokka frowned, before his eyes lit up. "I know how to get an angle on him!"

He pushed past his sister and pulled out his boomerang. After risking a quick glance around the corner, Sokka raised his boomerang toward their source, measuring the trajectory.

"Come on, Sokka," Qian muttered under her breath.

Sokka threw the boomerang.

They waited for the span of a few seconds before cautiously appearing around the side, just in time to see the boomerang hitting its target directly in his third eye.

"Yeah, boomerang!" Sokka crowed, jumping up in the air and snatching his weapon as it came flying back toward him.

Qian beamed – though that quickly disappeared when she saw Combustion Man stagger to his feet. "Um, guys..."

They looked up and cursed.

"Aw, boomerang," Sokka moaned.

He and the others ran for cover once more, but Qian stood her ground. An idea came to mind, one that made her want to be sick, but if it worked, it could save all of their lives. If she wasn't quick enough, or if it didn't work and she couldn't make it behind cover quickly enough, she could die.

"What are you doing?" Katara hissed.

Qian raised her bow. "I could probably do some damage before he regains his senses."

"Qian!"

But Qian stood her ground. She squinted, measuring the distance. If she could hit him in the third eye... That's how he was able to make all of these explosions. What would happen if she hit him there?

Combustion Man was on his feet again. Qian breathed out, imagining that she was shooting her arrow down a tunnel, only wide enough to open up to the man's eyes on the other side.

I will do this.

Qian inhaled, steadied herself, and let the arrow fly.

Several things happened at once.

Sparks began to emit from the assassin's third eye, just before Qian's arrow buried itself right within it. The sparks grew in size and intensity, turning into small explosions erupting from the man's head. He bellowed and tried to rip the arrow out, but it was futile: a large explosion rocked the landing and sent it falling to the misty chasm below. The light blinded Qian, and the collapsed the air with dust.

Qian raised an arm over her eyes. Slowly, she peered over the skin and peered through the dust. Combustion Man was no more. They'd done it. She'd done it.

A smile spread across Qian's lips.

It was over.

Qian raised her head, and a flicker of movement caught her eye. She glanced toward it and inhaled sharply, spotting a red-clad figure scramble up a hold on the ledge.

Zuko.

He was alive.

Qian watched as Zuko struggled to his feet. The others appeared from behind the pillar and, for a moment, they all stared at each other. Qian gestured for him to join them and, after some hesitation, both parties nodded.

They did have a lot to talk about, after all.

It took some time for Zuko to climb down to where their group was gathered. The entire time they were waiting, Qian relayed to the others what Zuko had told her. She didn't have a chance to register their reactions, for almost at exactly the same time she finished, Zuko was approaching them.

Qian offered him a smile, which he tentatively returned.

"I can't believe I'm saying this... but thanks Zuko," Aang said.

"Hey, and what about me?" Sokka protested. "I did the boomerang thing."

Qian elbowed him. "And I hit him in the eye with my arrow. We could argue about this all day."

Zuko stopped before them. "Listen, I know I didn't explain myself very well yesterday. I've been through a lot in the past few years, and it's been hard. But I'm realizing that I had to go through all those things to learn the truth: I thought I had lost my honour, and that somehow my father could return it to me. But I know now that no one can give you your honour. It's something you earn for yourself, by choosing to do what's right." He met them all in the eyes. "All I want now is to play my part in ending this war. And I know my destiny is to help you restore balance to the world."

Zuko turned to Toph and bowed. "I'm sorry for what I did to you; it was an accident. Fire can be dangerous and wild. So as a firebender, I need to be more careful and control my bending so I don't hurt people unintentionally."

Qian swallowed. She only recalled all too well how easy it was for fire to consume and burn everything in its path.

Aang's eyes had widened, a realisation blooming within them. "I think you are supposed to be my firebending teacher," he said quietly. "When I first tried to learn firebending, I burned Katara. And after that, I never wanted to firebend again. But now I know you understand how easy it is to hurt the people you love..." He bowed. "I'd like you to teach me.

Zuko blinked, but smiled warmly, like a fire crackling merrily in a fireplace. He too bowed to Aang.

"Thank you. I'm so happy you've accepted me into your group."

Aang raised a hand. "Not so fast. I still have to ask my friends if it's ok with them." He glanced back at Toph. "Toph, you're the one that Zuko burned. What do you think?"

Toph was quiet for a moment, but then shrugged. "Go ahead and let him join. It'll give me plenty of time to get back at him for burning my feet." She punched her fist into her hand.

"Qian?"

Qian snorted. "I think you already know my answer. Us few firebenders on your side gotta stick together." She winked at Zuko.

"Sokka?"

Sokka spread his hands. "Hey, all I want is to defeat The Fire Lord. If you think this is the way to do it, then I'm all for it."

"Katara?"

Katara folded her arms and frowned.

Aang's voice was softer when he addressed her. Zuko paled when attention was brought to the waterbender, and a bead of sweat rolled down his face. Qian pressed her hands to her chest and looked at each party, hardly daring to breathe.

Katara closed her eyes. "I'll go along with whatever you think is right," she ground out.

Qian breathed out, the tension slipping from her body.

Zuko looked like he'd had new life born inside of him. "I won't let you down, I promise!"

The others wandered off, but Qian made her way toward him. She beamed. "Well, well. Looks like we have a firebender in our midst now."

"Two, actually."

Qian bit her lip. She cast her eyes to the ground. She hadn't exactly classified herself a firebender for several years now. It was a part of her she'd shoved into a dark hole, locked, and then thrown away the key. She never thought she would firebend again.

"I – I don't know, Zuko. I'm happy with my bow, and my knives. They're good enough. I don't need to firebend."

"But I could teach you."

Qian gasped. She locked eyes with the Fire Prince, startled to realise he was utterly serious.

"You can't," she stammered. "You have to teach Aang. He takes priority."

"Who said I can't teach you at the same time?" 

"I -" Qian frowned. Put like that... the case did seem quite logical. 

Zuko spread his arms. "The choice is yours, of course, but the offer is there."

Qian flushed. She held her free palm in front of her and stared, imagining flames flickering there. She imagined herself in control, and for the first time, understanding her power. She imagined Zuko guiding her through the motions, with her every step of the way.

I wouldn't be alone.

When she next met his eyes, she couldn't help but smile despite her pounding heart and queasy stomach.

"I accept your offer."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro