Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Chad's POV

I pick up Grace's suitcase and put it on the conveyer belt. Ever since she got pregnant I haven't let her lift anything that's heavy. I want her to relax and not stress over anything, but I can tell that she's going crazy that I won't let her do anything without me.

I thinks it's time that I let her go back to a few things that she loves like swimming and other things that I've been too distracted to notice that she enjoys.

Grace is looking at the door we just entered and I see our friends standing there, but they don't look happy.

I whisper in Grace's ear. "I don't think it's the time and place to talk to them. We'll find out what's wrong another time. I want to get out of here and see my father."

"Okay," she whispers.

The customer officer gives us the all clear and we make our way out of the private airfield.

A limo pulls in front of us. "Good afternoon, Mr and Mrs Kristofferson. Where do you want to go?" My driver Charles asks, politely.

"To Cedars Senai Hospital. My father's sick and I'm hoping that I'm not too late to say 'goodbye' to him." My phone goes off and I pull it out of my pocket and I see 'Mom' flash across the screen.

I hope Dad is still with us.

I put the phone on loudspeaker and answer the call.

Me: Hello, this is Chad Kristofferson.

Ever since I was a little kid my parents told me that I should answer the phone like that so people on the other end of the phone would know who they are talking to.

Mom: Are you on your way home, Chad?

Me: I'm already in LA. I'm on the way to the hospital. How's Dad?

Mom: He's been going in and out of consciousness for the last three hours. I thinks he's holding on until you get here.

Me: Tell him I'll be there soon.

Mom: I'll do that. See you soon, son.

She hangs up the phone.

I take Grace's hand as we climb into the car and make our way to the hospital.

At the hospital I see Mom waiting for us and my heart drops at the sight of her. Her brown hair is messy and the clothes she's wearing is wrinkled. She looks a mess. She looks at me as I step out of the car with my wife at my side. Mom ignores her and says. "Come on, son." She start speed walking through the hospital.

I pull Grace along with me and my hands tighten around her wrist as I move quickly. She nearly trips over her feet a couple time, but I don't stop as I continue to pull her along to stay close to my mother.

"Chad, you're hurting me." She says. I drop her hand and she looks at her wrist that has red hand marks on it from how tight I was holding on.

I look away from her beautiful face as guilt starts to set in from hurting her. "I'm sorry." I turn back towards my mother who walks through a set of doors and I follow her to my father's room.

Mom looks at me as I reach the door. "Chad, you're father loves you. I want you to know that before you see him. Also, he might not respond, but know he can hear every word you're going to say to him. I'll let you have some privacy. I'm going to the waiting room." She walks away from the room.

Taking a deep breath I pull the handle down on the door and enter the room. I see my father lying on the bed and his eyes are closed. His skin is pale. I touch his hand before dragging the seat close to the bed and sitting.

I look at my father and say. "Hey, Dad. I'm here. I have some news that I want to share with you, but I can't do that without my wife." The heart machine that Dad's hooked up to goes off and I know that he's listening to me even if he can't reply to me.

Dad's hand twitches in mine and I lean forward. "Please, open your eyes, Dad." His eyes remain closed and my heart clenches as I watch the man I've always admired sick in this bed.

After a couple of minutes the door opens and I see Mom walk into the room. She places her hand on my shoulder. "You should have chosen this family over the one you're creating. Did you know you're father would be disappointed in your actions. He always said 'Family is important.' What he meant was that your father and I were important and that you were supposed to be there when we needed you."

Looking at her I say. "That's not what he meant Mom. He was talking about my brother, sister and I starting our own family. He would rather us be with the ones we love and creating a life of our without you being a crutch to us."

She slaps me hard across the face. "Get out. I don't want to see you for the rest of time you're father is alive."

I don't say anything to Mom as I walk out the door and head in the direction of the waiting room.

Tears fall down my face as I walk into the waiting room where my wife is. The first thing I smell is the vanilla perfume she wears. I don't say anything as I purposely walk pass her.

I don't want her to see me like this. She doesn't need to stress over the things I'm going through with my family.

"Chad," her angelic voice says and I shake my head at her as I continue to walk away from her.

I just need a couple minutes on my own and then I'll go back to her.

I head out the hospital entrance and sit down on a table and look out at the trees that's around the hospital grounds.

Someone sits next to me and I look over at the person and see that it's Joy. She doesn't look happy as she looks at me. "I have something to tell you and I hope after I say it you will do something about it."

I frown at her. "What are you talking about?"

She crosses her arms. "So, you don't know that you're wife isn't waiting for you in the hospital after you left without saying a word."

How long have I been out here?

I look at the time and see that I've been out here for five hours and I haven't moved from this spot.

No wonder she's not here.

Turning towards her I ask. "Where's my wife? Is she at home?"

She shakes her head. "No, after you didn't talk to her she packed her stuff and moved to my hotel where she could give you space."

She wouldn't do that to me.

I pull my phone out of pocket and I call my wife. When she doesn't answer the phone I turn towards Joy. "Can you take me to her? She's not answering the phone."

She looks at me. "She might be asleep. When I left her she wasn't feeling so good."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro