49 • The Beginning of Anahita Devi •

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"I want mother to wake up and see me happily married, Dhani." Anahita expressed as she searched her wardrobe for something red to wear. She took extra effort to please her mother by dressing the way she wanted her daughter to. Bright red organza saree with delicate gold wire work and heavy border, paired with a brocade off-shoulder blouse. Iravati couldn't be there at her wedding, but Prathuman handed all the jewelry her mother had set aside to give her.

"Arey, Annie. You are going to a hospital. This isn't—" Dhani stifled her giggles with her palm.

Anahita lightly rolled her eyes with a smile, - "My mother is going to wake up, I am positive about it." Her wordings came out in quick succession. Turning back to the mirror, she wore the intricate gold necklace that rested against her collarbone. And, tiny stone encrusted and pearl neck-piece that hung till her breast.

Dhani watched with wide eyes as her friend selected matching earrings. Zeroing down on a round medium stud.

"Paint my nails, Dhani." Anahita stuck out her hand, - "Bright red."

Dhani had forgotten this lively glint in her friend's eyes. It seemed like ages since her vacant eyes were emoting something. Anahita was visiting her mother for the first time in ten months. She sensed perhaps now, that her mother will wake up. To make sure she does, Anahita also wore her mother's favorite perfume. This was strange because Iravati was the last person she thought it would enthuse her to meet.

Since marriage, Anahita never wore sindoor, but this time she filled her hair-parting with a generous amount of vermillion to please her mother.

Abhaiveer waited in the driveway for their driver to get the car. He checked his custom-made pocket watch, a gift from his Pratibha. Click! He closed the watch and heard anklets jingling wildly behind him. He turned around and was dumbfounded.

Slowly, he removed his sunglasses and gaped at Anahita, who hopped down the stairs.

"What is wrong with her?" He mouthed.

He checked his simple, placid shirt and trousers, then glanced at his wife again.

"Abhay, how do I look?" She chimed, adjusting the pallu on her wrist.

He gulped, - "Now, how do I tell her nicely?"

"Maaji complimented me a lot. Finally, something about me impressed her." Anahita beamed, checking the pleats of her saree.

"Um, dear, we are going to a—are you—" He placed his palm against his forehead. Annoyed, she slapped his hand away.

"I am fine, Abhay. It is just that—I have a happy feeling about this. Like the end of my mother's misery." She eyed his lips, twisting into a smile under his chevron mustache.

"Very well. You are looking beautiful. Your mother will be happiest to see you this way." He gave his arm to her. Anahita looped her hand with his and together they walked down the remaining stairs to the car that awaited them.

Initially, Anahita was confused by the wards. But Iravati was a high-profile patient, a peon led them to the correct area. As they reached closer, a shrill wail echoed in her ears. Abhay felt Anahita stiffen beside him. Snappily, he grabbed her hand. The coldness of her skin made him goose-bumpy.

Anahita's heart dropped, and she felt tremors as she leaned on Abhaiveer for support. He grasped her hand tighter. Amongst the many private wards, the one where Iravati was, had two men arguing at the door, and Leela sitting on one bench. Her screeching wails resonated in the hallway, attracting curious glances, sympathy-filled eyes, and some hushed voices.

"Ten months, Prathuman, we kept her for that long with limited medical equipment and knowledge. That in itself is a big thing."

Anahita's eyes stung with tears, her heart beating in her ears. The sinking feeling of despair filled her chest.

"Vikram, you are not only the best doctor here but also my good friend. I expected you to not mess this up and pay special attention to her." Prathuman was still at Dr. Vikram's throat, clenching the collars of his coat in a firm grip.

"Prathuman, we are good friends, so, only then I'm letting you misbehave like this." He yanked his hands away.

"There is only so much we could have done. The poison dose was too high. She had consumed to die." Vikram's tone was a little raised. The on-looker's gaze of sympathy intensified on them.

Anahita clenched her fist. The two men got Abhaiveer distracted, and so it was easy for her to slip her hand from his hold. She filled her lungs with a deep breath and marched towards Leela's wailing figure. The woman had just looked up, and a hard slap across her face welcomed her.

The smack rang in the corridor, overlapping the men's bellowing. Abhaiveer's jaw dropped. Dumbfounded, Prathuman and Dr. Vikram looked on.

"You s**t, you murdered my mother. You cruel and selfish b***h." Anahita dragged her up from the seat by her hair. Leela screeched as she tried to move her hand from the low-bun resting against her nape.

"Anahita!" Prathuman roared, - "What are you doing?"

This angered her further, and she grabbed her stepmother's throat, - "Do you not fear God, do you not fear karma? I will make sure you get your karma, you conniving woman." She raised her hand for another slap when someone grabbed her hand.

"Anahita, Anahita."

Anahita covered her face with both her palms and continued to sob. Until she felt a comforting touch on her shoulder. Her body froze. A figure sat next to her. Slowly, she moved her hands away and turned her head.

"A—Asif."

"What happened, my dear?"

"Thank God, you came. I needed you so badly and I was missing you. We get to meet in my dreams, but you abandoned me here as well."- She cried.

"I was having sleepless nights without you. I cried so much, called out to you, but you didn't come." She added.

Asif placed a hand on her cheek, wiping her tears with his thumb. Anahita closed her eyes, taking in his comforting touch. Her body relaxed, and a gentle warmth filled her chest.

"My love. Never think I abandoned you. I cannot. For with Anahita, Asif lives."- He patted her head, - "Be strong."

"Why did you leave me, Asif? Why did we part? Mother is dead. What was the point of giving ourselves the agony of separation?" Anahita wept, resting her head against his shoulder. Asif held her hand in a gentle grip.

"You were the shadow of your mother; it is time for that shadow to come out. Anahita, you must not fall weak. The killers of your mother, they must be punished."

Anahita nodded firmly.–"Yes!"

"I am always there with you, Anahita."- He pushed aside her hair from her face and looked deeply into her eyes, - "I love you, Anahita, with my heart and my soul."

Anahita held his arm, staring into his kind eyes, - "I love you too. My life without you is empty. Please never leave me. You are my comfort; you are the one keeping me sane."

Asif nodded, - "Same here."

She felt her body ache, especially her head. Anahita flickered her eyes open and realized she was on one of the hospital beds. Her brain still spun, but she could make out what happened.

Nothing!

There was only a lingering feeling of his heartening presence, that soothed her aching heart.

Anahita clenched the white sheet of the single bed and tilted her head up. Abhaiveer peered at her, looking maddening and worried. Prathuman was there too. He peeked from behind his son-in-law. Looking at her father, Anahita felt her blood boil again.

How dare he? He conspired with his wife and killed her mother. She slammed her fist against the flimsy mattress, brushing her hand against the cold steel. In front of her father, Anahita felt helpless once again. How can she curse him? How can she shout her heart out at him?

"Abhay, please ask him to leave." Her voice cracked, but she tried to steady herself. Abhaiveer took a moment to understand. Only a death stare from her made him tell off Prathuman. Mr. Agarwal was shocked. He looked with concern at his daughter. But Anahita refused to spare a glance at him.

In her heart, she assumed her father was also dead.

After Prathuman walked out, Abhaiveer dragged a wooden chair and sat next to her. They were in a private ward. Anahita was relieved for the privacy. He reached out for her hand, observing her expressions. Then he placed his hand over hers in a tender grip.

"I know it is hard for you. The doctor said you fainted out of shock. Everything will be fine." He patted her knuckles. Anahita gulped, but the pain in her throat made the process difficult. She felt a sting of hot tears at the back of her eyelids, but she kept her eyes closed. Abhay's finger brushed against her cheek as he wiped her tear.

Precap:

Jaane wo kaise log the jinake pyaar ko pyaar mila

Hamane to jab kaliyaan maangi, kaanton ka haar mila

Annie!

I know I shouldn't have written to you. And posted the bhaijaan's letter without his consent. But I had to.

Bhaijaan is very stubborn, you know him. He doesn't listen to anyone. We are his well-wishers, and we want the best for him. But for now, we are desperate to keep him alive.

Your soul sister

Nausheen

My Dearest Anahita,

I loved you and I will always love you till my last breath. You are and will be the only woman in my life. But I needn't be the only man or love in your life. Your happiness, my dear, is of utmost importance to me. Our separation might not keep me alive, but I want you to live on, for with you our love lives on.

Yours,

Asif Rahman Khan

Asif was standing a few feet from her. Dressed in pure white; spotless. There was a radiance on his face, but there was something. She frowned and hurried to him, as fast as the sand beneath her feet would let her.

Coming close to him, she stopped and gasped covering her mouth with both her hands.

"Hey, Bhagwan! Asif, what happened to you." She was terrified. With trembling hands, he reached out to her.

"Anahita!" He beckoned her. Anahita's heart dropped. When she touched his hand, it was cold. Wide-eyed she darted her gaze up. His blue eyes glossed with tears.

"For God's sake, tell me, Asif." She shook him. He said nothing, just kept admiring her. Anahita's breathing fastened, and so did her heart rate. She blinked at him. Her racing heart caused discomfort in her chest but she overlooked that.

"Asif!" She raised her voice.

"I love you—Anahita."

"Asif, that is not the answer."

He repeated himself. Anahita was stunned. She leaped and embraced him. He doesn't hug her back.

"I love you. Anahita."

Adhura hoke bhi

Hai ishq mera kaamil

Tere bina guzara

Ae dil hai mushkil

Precap is so lengthy, that it reads like a promo *Laughs* 

Anyway, my sweeties. Another blow for Anahita, what next? Drop your thoughts in the comments, please, you guys. Don't forget to vote and comment.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro