50 • Dukh ke ab din beetat naahi! •

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Visiting Ambika's place for the second time was much more awkward than the first. It confused Bhairav to find a new man with Anahita. His doubts vanished when Abhaiveer introduced himself as Anahita's husband. Bhairav took him to the living room, asking Ambika to get tea and snacks.

"There is no need for that." Abhay interrupted immediately, - "We are here for some serious reasons." He looked at Anahita, who was perfectly still. Almost zombie-like.

The ladies sat in Ambika's room. Her daughter played with some toys on the cot.

"You don't want juice?"

Anahita slowly shook her head. Ambika frowned, leaning towards her. She held her younger sister's chin, - "Mother and Father didn't invite me to your wedding. But I want to know, are you happy?"

Anahita exhaled and looked at her sister with tears in her eyes, - "Didi." She leaped, embracing her sister as tightly as she could. After all, to her, it was now only her sister who was left of her family.

"Mother is no more." She cried, burying her face in her sister's shoulder.

"What?" Ambika exclaimed in a small voice.

She held her hands and forcefully parted her. Pain and disbelief covered her face as she looked at Anahita.

"How?"

Anahita drew in a breath and bawled as she narrated everything. The news knocked Ambika off.

"That Leela, you sure?"

Anahita closed her eyes tightly and nodded. She told her about the poison bottle she had found in the room.

Ambika looked away, gripping her sister's shoulder tightly, - "Don't break, my sister." She spoke in a wavering tone. Anahita let out a sob and took her sister into a bone-crushing embrace once again. This time, both the sister cried.

"Stay strong! We will get her punished. God will punish her." Ambika consoled her younger sibling even though she was broken as well. Anahita closed her eyes, shutting them tightly, and felt her elder sister's fingers caress the back of her head. It was assuring and comforting. Yet nothing can get their mother back.

Ambika insisted Anahita and Abhay to stay longer. Abhay couldn't help but let his wife stay. Bhairav shifted to the guest room. Ambika's mother-in-law accommodated the child with her.

"Anahita, did mother want this marriage of yours? Your marriage would have been the last fortunate thing she experienced."

The words, spoken casually, affected Anahita. She felt a fresh stab in her chest.

"Mother didn't get to see my wedding."

"What?" Ambika gasped, probing to her side with her elbow, and blinked at her sister. The women lay together on the double bed in her room.

Anahita turned to the other side, facing the green-painted wall, and tugged her hands under her cheek.

"Abhaiveer is a gem of a man. He is a perfect and caring husband and more so, a trustworthy and supportive friend, but—he wasn't Mother's choice." She spoke in a low voice, barely audible to Ambika.

Anahita shuddered at the thought of being married to Daamodar. A warm and gentle touch of her sister's hand calmed her. She relaxed her muscles, swiftly wiped her tears in one go, and turned on her back.

"Didi, let's reminisce about wonderful memories of our childhood. With mother." She forced a shaky smile.

Anahita thought this will be a distraction for the sisters. They shared some bitter-sweet memories, but when the conversation steered towards Nausheen, she felt a heaviness in her chest.

"Nausheen must have come to your wedding. She is such a teaser. Must have made you blush and embarrassed you." Ambika smiled to herself.

Anahita stared blankly at the bland ceiling. Her breathing was getting unsteady. Her sister's words were a painful reminder of the last time she had met Asif. Talked to him, felt his touch, and the last time she was in his arms.

"It would have thrilled mother to see me married." She commented randomly. Ambika's smile dropped.

Iravati wasn't very close to her daughters. She was mostly there to reprimand them rather than guide them. She never tried to crack ice between them. The ayahs took care of them when they were toddlers and as teens; they were mostly on their own. Yet, Anahita couldn't move on from the thought of her. She was her mother; their blood. And the way her life ended broke her heart even more.

"They murdered her and us, I, can't do anything. I am so—" Anahita covered her face. Tears threatened to fall. Ambika shifted closer, placing her arm around her little sister, and pulled her closer.

"Hey, we decided to talk only about wonderful memories. Right?" Ambika caressed her arm.

Anahita nodded, moving her hands away.

"I was anxious about you, actually. When mother had come searching for you, I panicked as well. Though I tried to be brave—that reminds me, where were you?"

Anahita froze. Why was Ambika reeling back to those memories?

She took a deep breath and tossed to the other side, - "That was long ago, and it does not matter anymore. Please, Didi, I do not wish to talk about it." She pressed her head against the pillow. Ambika hovered next to her for a second before falling on her back.

"Remember our meeting. It took a heated turn. Though I was angry with you and wanted you to experience my pain. But I regretted thinking that way."

Anahita gulped and shut her eyes.

"Asif was with you, right? Such a polite gentleman. He was so quiet and reserved even as a child; just like you. I wonder where he is now?"- She shifted, placing a hand on her sister's arm, - "You must be knowing. Has he married?"

"Didi, please, my head is hurting." Anahita struggled to control her tears.

"My jaan."- Ambika leaned against her, placing her cheek against hers, - "I am so happy, Thank God, you didn't get to the cross-road where I had been. You didn't get to make the toughest decision."

Anahita pressed her palm against her mouth. The painful memories and pang of separation were piercing her once again. She was already dealing with her mother's death. Anahita didn't want to be reminded of these agonizing feelings.

Ambika wrapped an arm around her body. Anahita tightly shut her eyes, letting tears stream down her cheeks.

"Learning from you that Abhaiveer is a gentleman gives me an immense relief." She stopped speaking as she felt her sister shake. Hurriedly, Anahita wiped her tears and turned to face her sister. She pressed her lips into a tight smile, forcing herself to not blink much.

Perfect distraction.

"You know, Abhay told me great stories about his childhood. You won't believe he is passionately patriotic. Once, he even bunked school, taking some cash and, with ambitions to join the freedom struggle. In college, he took part in many movements as well. He idolizes Bapu and has his portrait as well." Anahita felt energy rush through her otherwise dull body.

"Really? Tell me more." Ambika's eyes shone.

The sister lay cuddled together, like old times. Ambika listened with great interest to the stories Anahita narrated of her husband. She was immensely relieved about the distraction.

The next day, Abhaiveer sent the driver with the car to pick her up. Ambika was a little disappointed, but Anahita understood his work commitment.

Upon her return to the Singhaniya mansion, her mother-in-law hurled at her.

She took her in a bear hug and cried in the embrace. Manyata consoled her, running her palm over her face and assuring her she will be the mother figure in her life. Anahita was grateful, but she didn't feel emotional.

Dhani was a crying mess. She wanted to be there with her friend, but she couldn't, as she was ordered not to. Anahita didn't cry with Dhani. She felt devoid of emotions. There was nothing that could be done now. That didn't mean her mother meant nothing to her or she wasn't hurt. She was just burned out.

On their way to her chamber, Anahita noticed a young gardener sneaking behind them. He and Dhani shared a look. In a hushed tone and urgent gesture, Dhani ushered him. He motioned if she was fine and she nodded. Anahita observed them. When her friend's gaze met hers, she looked away. Dhani fumbled as she climbed up the stairs.

In the evening, Abhaiveer came from work. Anahita was on the balcony, sitting on the garden chair and sipping her mother's favorite Darjeeling tea. Dhani had kept biscuits and morning newspaper on the round glass table.

Abhaiveer removed his hat and coat. As he hung his coat on the hanger, looking around, and listening to a tardy melody from the balcony. His gaze caught a pale yellow chiffon dupatta fluttering in the gentle wind.

Dukh ke dukh ke ab din beetat naahi

Dukh ke ab din beetat naahi

Sukh ke din the ek swapan thaa

Ab din beetat naahi more

- (Devdas 1935)

He walked out and found Anahita sitting next to the parapet. Her back faced him. She casually sipped her tea, and the gramophone played the music.

Abhaiveer smiled, unbuttoning the cuffs of his long sleeve, and strolled towards her.

"Ah! Devdas, 1935."- He exclaimed, folding his sleeves upwards. Anahita looked up and leaned to place her cup but he raised his palm.

"K.L Sehgal. Legend."- He huffed, sitting on the chair next to her.

"Tea?" Anahita held the handle of the sky-blue bone-china teapot. Abhay nodded.

He sighed, grasping the handle of the chair, and stared at the sky. His head moved to the gentle music. 

Na main kisi kaa naa koyi meraa

Na main kisi kaa naa koyi meraa

Chhaaya chaaron aur andheraa

Chhaaya chaaron aur andheraa

"Brings back so many childhood memories. You triggered nostalgia." He commented, watching her add sugar cube into his tea.

Anahita smiled lightly, - "I wasn't even born."

Abhay chuckled, - "Thank you for reminding me. You made me conscious again."

Anahita handed him the cup, - "I didn't intend to."

"I know."- He graciously took it from her, - "I was around 12." He added. As he smiled to himself, he took a small sip, - "I wanted to watch the film badly, but my father had beaten me for secretly watching it. He said people from decent families should have nothing to do with the vulgar film industry."

Anahita tugged away wild strands from her face, and relaxed in her chair, - "Mother thought the same. But, she enjoyed music and films."- She looked at Abhay, - "in secret, of course."

Abhaiveer and Anahita shared a grin.

Ab kachhu soojhat naahi

More ab din beetat naahi

Dukh ke dukh ke dukh ke.

"But there are so many melodious songs. Why are you listening to these depressing ones?"

Anahita took a deep sigh, - "This was my mother's favorite. Besides, Devdas is my favorite film."

"I prefer 1935 one," Abhay responded promptly.

Anahita chuckled slightly, - "Everyone likes Devdas from their own era."

Abhay nodded, he leaned by his arm towards her, - "After work, I went to the police station. Mr. Agarwal has done nothing. And police considered the doctor's written words and closed the case as a suicide."- He fell back, placing his hand on his forehead, - "Now that the last rites are done, there is nothing more that can be done."

Anahita didn't reply, but she took in everything he said. She knew why Prathuman hurriedly performed everything, to get rid of any suspicious proof. She continued having her tea silently with Abhaiveer.

But there must be some way; a legal way.

Contrary to what Leela wanted, things were going downhill for her. Prathuman blamed everything on her. She had dared to counter him, stating he might have messed up the measures. He boiled up and thundered at her, kicking her out of his study.

"My wife is dead. My daughters lost their mother. And everything was your blunder. Your idea, your measurements. What did you lose, Leela? And your audacity that you are blaming me? Why would I want to kill her? I wanted her to survive with me."

Leela pleaded with him to forgive her impudence and reluctantly accepted a mistake she had not done.

"If you kick me out, where will I go? Your children. Our sons. They are your heir, you can't..."

"I very well can." He replied menacingly, - "But I won't. You and the kids shall stay, but I will have nothing to do with you all."- He pointed a finger at her puffed up and sobbing face, - "especially you."

Leela was afraid and appalled. Next few days, she tried to get back into his life again. But there was a permanent dent in their relationship. Prathuman would rebuke her, often on the verge of physically assaulting her. Slowly, she withdrew from him, as she didn't want him to raise a hand on her. It will not only ruin her reputation amongst the servants but also emotionally damage her sons. Still, she was hopeful he would reconcile with her- with time. Anyway, she lost the very things she had been plotting for. 

So, my sweeties? How was the Chapter? Things are going to brighten up for our Anahita, don't worry. Also, Vakil Sahab is making a re-entry 

Drop your thoughts in the comments, please, and Don't forget to vote, you all. :*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro