Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Aasmaan ko zameen, ye zaroori nahi

Jaa mile... jaa mile

Ishq saccha wahi

Jisko milti nahi manzilein... manzilein

Anahita couldn't directly call her elder sister, Ambika, as they didn't have any telephone connection. Their neighbor and a family friend had one, so she telephones them for getting to know of Aryaman.

Anahita checked the grandfather clock in the living room of the Khans and excused herself. At this time, Ambika would wait at the friend's house.

"Hello! Didi, how is Aryaman?"

Ambika sounded weary, but she spoke in a lighter tone, - "He is fine, Choti. Missing you badly. And he caught a little cold, but he is fine."

"Oh!" Anahita clenched the receiver tighter, - "Is he serious?" Her voice barely came out.

"I can understand, being a mother you feel might feel stressed. But don't worry. Here, talk to him."

Anahita drew in a deep breath. A second later,

- "Ma—ma."

"Aryaman, beta. How are you? Are you troubling Maasi?"

"No!" Came the prompt reply in his baby voice, - "Goo Boi."

Anahita chuckled, - "I know my child is the best baby in the entire world. Mother is coming soon." She cheered the kid, and clapping followed her statement. Then Ambika took over.

"He is a smart boy. He will go far." She complimented and giggled.

"Didi, Abhay said we will come by the day after tomorrow. Early morning flight." Anahita informed.

"Yes, dear. Abhaiveer's business should be a top priority. Everything is perfectly under control here. The kids are having a fun time." Ambika said in a kind and understanding tone.

"Thank you, Didi."

After Anahita had kept the telephone, - "Why didn't you bring your son with you?" Nausheen chirped to her.

Anahita thought of an excuse, but before she could reply, her friend continued, - "The twins would have loved his company and Aryan would have much fun here as well."

"Hmm."

Anahita was spared from saying anything more as Asif came to them, - "Girls." He showed them a bag that had a scrumptious food aroma floating out.

"Anahita, I insist please have lunch with us and invite your husband, too. Where is he?" Asif said.

Anahita gulped.

"Don't worry, this is from a pure veg restaurant. I checked everything."

"Abhay doesn't mind. He is not very religious."

"Yes, but we are all having this today," Asif replied.

In truth, Anahita didn't know where Abhaiveer was. Perhaps he would have eaten lunch, or not. But she can't let Asif know this. He will be worried about her.

"Actually, Abhay said he would have lunch with his business partner. I will eat in the hotel mess." Anahita hurriedly answered. Nausheen held her shoulders and requested. Asif was quiet.

"Tell her, Bhaijaan."

"Nausheen, let her decide. Don't force her or make her uncomfortable." He replied. Anahita expected this from him. This attitude of his, that once melted her heart, did even now, but there was a pang of pain as well.

Nausheen sighed, rolling her eyes, - "Typical Bhaijaan. And what about the food you got?"

Asif looked away from Anahita, and back at his sister, - "We will eat it. I am not being nice to her to impose my wishes on her. I got food for her. That was my decision, and whatever she decides will be hers."

Anahita and Asif once again kept strong eye contact.

"You are a loony." Nausheen retorted at him.

Why are you so nice, Asif? You don't deserve to rot like this, disintegrate like this, - Anahita thought.

"I will have lunch with you all." She replied out loud. Nausheen was excited and engulfed her friend in a tight embrace from the side. Asif nodded at Anahita and she smiled a little.

After lunch, everyone gathered in the living room. They introduced Anahita to three of Asif's half-sisters and their children. Soon, the chatters and giggles of the women resonated in the entire hall, making it lively. Kids played amongst them, their ayahs looking over. Meanwhile, servants walked in carrying trays with deserts and sherbets.

Nausheen was busy with her sisters. Husna kept glaring at Anahita.

Asif was the only man present. After he selected his cup of the desert, he got busy with his nephew. Anahita sat silently beside Nausheen. Occasionally glancing across the room at Asif. Once their gaze met, they would only leisurely look away.

Anahita selected a rose sherbet and sat back. A moment later, a ringing sound grabbed everyone's attached. Asif tapped his spoon at the rim of his glass of Nimbu sherbet and called out.

"Everyone gathers here, as I would like to announce something." His fleeting gaze lingered on Anahita a little longer before darting away.

"I have decided to go to England and get treated there."

Anahita gulped her drink but managed to not choke on it.

"What?' Badi Ammi gasped. She stiffened as though holding herself from premature celebrations.

Asif nodded, straightening in his chair, - "Yes, I have written to my family there. Apart from treatment for my disease, I will treat my addiction as well."

Anahita held her breath, looking keenly at him. She was sure everyone had the same reaction.

"I have decided to give my life another chance." Asif smiled at Anahita. Reflexively, she smiled too, but quickly fixed her expression.

"Great, brother. Now, Ammi, we should start looking for a suitable bride for him." One of his elder sisters gushed. Husna shifted in her place and eagerly opened her mouth to add her statement, but Asif spoke first.

"I am giving my life another chance to live, but I won't marry. Instead, I will dedicate my life to helping others and strengthening my relationship with God." He sounded serious. Clearly, this disappointed the ladies of the house.

"What will happen to Husna, then?" One concerned sister asked. She held Husna's shoulder.

"Yes, brother. Think of Husna. She has thrown her life for you. Now, no one wants to marry her."

Husna sniffed, wiping her tears.

"I can understand."

Anahita knew this was Asif's kind way of saying- it was her decision. She shouldn't expect him to give up his decision just for her sake.

Asif always believed that each person was responsible for their own decisions and should be ready for the consequence or reap the reward. That is why he always thoroughly planned all his decisions. Anahita recollected with sadness, how much planning they had done for getting married and discussed their potential married life.

"My cousin Harry Owen in England reverted to Islam four years ago. And changed his name to Hariz Owen. In his recent letter, he mentioned he is looking for a bride, and he wants a religious Muslim girl. I can suggest Husna's name to him. If Husna and her father have no objection. Harry is willing to come to India for his bride search."

Anahita thought this was perfect. Husna might not get a husband in India considering how fragile a woman's reputation is in society, and how weak a man's ego is.

Badi Ammi placed a gentle hand on Husna. She lowered her head, - "If this is Asif's final decision then—whatever father decides, I will go with it."

Anahita didn't like her, especially after her insult to Iravati, but she could connect with the pain in Husna's voice. Anahita looked at Asif. He was relieved. He glanced at her and raised his eyebrow, asking for validation from her. She smiled and gave him a nod.

Nausheen had said before, how Asif took up most cases from the poor section. Those who can't afford lawyers and advocates. He also got his friends to help them, even paying their fees. Asif took up other cases as well. Anahita was proud of all this and felt full pride knowing how his track record as a barrister was flawless.

Later in the night, in their hotel room, Anahita sat in front of the mirror. She hummed a pleasant song as she applied moisturizer to her hands. 

Dil-e-nadaan tujhe hua kya hai 

Aakhir iss dard ki dava kya hai

When she looked at her reflection, she caught Abhaiveer staring at her.

"What?" She frowned at him.

"Nothing." He looked back into the newspaper.

Anahita smiled, - "Don't stare so much Mr. Singhaniya, lest you fall in love with me." She joked and laughed. But abruptly stopped, as her eyes met his glare.

"Anahita, I don't like such jokes. It is insulting to me." He said sternly. She gulped and nodded.

Abhaiveer's expressions softened. He added two ice cubes into his glass of wine and looked at her again, - "I was wondering what happened that made you smile so much?"

Anahita got up from her seat and walked to him, - "All my worries are going to end, Abhay." She sat beside him on the bed and narrated the incident from the entire day.

"That is wonderful. I am happy for you. As your friend, I was worried about how depressed you were."

Anahita sighed, - "Yes. Now, knowing he will be safe and happy, I can live in peace."

Abhaiveer patted her shoulders and suggested she sleep.

Anahita was most relaxed knowing Nausheen took responsibility to make sure Asif doesn't smoke, till he goes to England for treatment and rehab.

Anahita found herself in the hallway of the Khan Haveli, the place she had met Asif for the first time after his return from England. She was in the same clothes.

"Asif." She called him gleefully. Anahita pushed away the crepe curtains that blew on her as she made her way towards the entrance.

"Asif, why do you trouble me so much?" She whined, pouting her lips.

"Anahita." She heard him call her in a meek voice. The hair on the back of her neck stood up. She turned around and found him coming toward her. He wore pure white and his face was radiant. With his youthful look back, he had no support of a walking stick as he glided towards her.

Anahita ran to him and engulfed him in a tight cuddle. He threw his arms around her, pulling her closer to him.

"Oh, Asif, I love you and I am so happy for you." She confessed, pressing her face in the crook of his neck.

"I love you too, my dearest Anahita." He held her face and kissed her forehead. Anahita closed her eyes, a feeling of eternal bliss seeping into her.

"Anahita." He held her hand and guided her towards the stairs, - "I loved you, I love you and I will always love you forever and beyond."- He led her up the stairs. She kept smiling lovingly at him, but his smile dropped.

Why wasn't he smiling?- Anahita felt her heartbeat picking up.

"You are everything to me, Anahita. Every breath of mine is for you, for our love. I wanted to give you all the heavens and stars, but—I am sorry, I couldn't."

"Asif, what are you saying?"- Anahita held his hand tighter, - "Why are you scaring me?" Her voice shook, but her tone raised.

"I am sorry, Anahita, this is the furthest I can walk with you." His eyes filled with tears.

Anahita shook her head, - "Everything is going to be alright, Asif. Don't be scared. You are going to be treated and—you are—going to live." Her tears betrayed her. She pressed her trembling lips, looking into his eyes.

"I am sorry, Anahita."

She noticed his fingers slipping from her grip as he climbed, but she was rooted on the spot. Her legs weren't supportive, she couldn't move. This paralysis scared her.

"Asif." She desperately tried to cling to his hand, but he kept moving away.

"I love you—"

"No, no, no, no, no—" Petrified, she watched a blinding white light engulfed him. And then, he was gone and there was nothing but darkness.

"Asif!"

Will Asif survive? The next chapter, the last chapter will open the suspense.

*Please no spoilers in the comments*

Also, Dil-e-naadan, the song they were listening to right after their confession

Please drop your thoughts in the comments, and don't forget to vote *Hugs and Kisses*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro