7. he can keep his tongue

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER SEVEN

VISERYS slept peacefully for what felt like the first time in centuries until he was shook awake, his eye opening with a grumble until he saw his niece, Daemerys looking at him with sympathy and worry.

"What is it, child? Is someone dead?", he wheezed out and she rolled her eyes at his dramatics.

"No, Uncle. I need to speak with you".

"And it could not wait until morning".

"I'm afraid not", she spoke with a frown and he straightened up at that. Turning a bit more despite his pain to look at her — clasping her hand in his.

"Tell me, child. What plagues that intelligent mind of yours?".

"War is coming. I feel it, hear it, see it. The voices have been speaking to me".

Viserys knew lightly on her visions, he had begun his research into why she was gifted with such talent but could not find an answer. "What do they say?".

Daemerys thought back to what Aemond had told her, that she need to propose something and when he left she heard it —

One son must fall for the dragons to dance.

She did not like that one bit.

"Nothing good. I need to do something, anything. So I've got a proposal, your Grace".

Viserys watched her carefully, hearing her out despite his tiredness, "What is it?".

"I'll marry... Aemond. I know I'm nothing but a bastard but I just want to keep the peace. If me and Aemond marry—", she stopped to catch her breath from her rambling. "—peace will be among us".

"Is this what your truly want, my girl?", he asked sincerely. Not wanting her to make such rash decisions based on mere whispers in her head.

"I don't want anything. I have never wanted a single thing. This is my duty, so my brothers and sisters can live in peace. Vaemond wishes for the Queen's support as well as Otto's. If I marry Aemond they could not allow the cost of turning Luke down because they're my family", Daemerys looked to their conjoined hands. "The things we do for love".

"As you wish, child", his eyes grew heavy and she let them, knowing she had won. She'd propose it to Aemond when Vaemond makes his point and everything will be fine — or so she hoped.

However, what she didn't know was that her mother had already been here begging him to stand by her.

─────

Daemerys descended down the steps to the throne room, her family already situated on the right side of the hall as the the Velaryon and Targaryen family situated on the left side.

She could practically feel her eyes in her brain when she rolled her eyes at Otto Hightower, the Kings Hand sitting on the Iron Throne — looking rather pleased with himself.

As she walked past, she glared at Vaemond — the man looked at her with disgust but her face looked scarier in that moment that he decided to look away.

"Mother", she greeted as kissed her cheek, holding her swollen belly for a moment with a smile before Lucerys tackled her into a hug — the mother-daughter duo laughing at the boys eagerness to see his sister.

"Hello to you too", Daemerys smiled at the boy and ruffled his hair, nodding to Jace who smiled at her. Daemon walked forward and kissed her cheek before patting her cheek and looking towards Vaemond with a scowl.

The young woman turned to look around the room, her sisters resided with Rhaenys who stood in the middle of the hall — undecided but didn't show any emotion to the situation at hand.

She turned when she felt eyes on her, seeing the Queen and her children staring at her — rolling her eyes again she looked away from them with a huff.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds", Otto started and Daemerys looked down — she missed that old man, hoping he'd come home soon to teach her more about history. "We gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters".

"Yes, bet you love that you slimy cunt", Daemerys mumbled, causing Jace to snicker quietly and her parents hide their smiles.

"The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon".

Vaemond stepped forward, not without casting a glance towards Rhaenyra with a smug look.

Daemerys glared at him then yet her face also looked bored. She'd had enough already and they hadn't even started yet.

Stepping to the front, Vaemond begun, "My Queen. My Lord Hand. The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies. House Velaryon has rules the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing they were to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name. I have spent my life on Driftmark defending my brothers seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins".

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon", Rhaenyra defended not looking at the man. "If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant it's rightful heir. No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition—".

"You will have chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra", Alicent cut the woman off. "Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard".

Daemerys raised her eyebrows at that, courtesy. ha. She'd give her the courtesy of removing her eldest sons head from his neck if he stared at her breasts for another second.

Vaemond turned to Rhaenyra looking smug, "What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess? I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognise it".

"Shall we test that theory, Ser Vaemond?", Daemerys spat, turning her head to look at him with fury in her eyes — sick of this man treating her mother less than the Princess she is.

"You'd do well to hold your tongue, Daemerys", Alicent scolded despite Aemonds amused face.

Rhaenyra took her daughters hand to calm her, silently telling her it was fine.

"This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours", Vaemond continued before looking at Lucerys who looked back, pale. "My Queen, my Lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor... the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides".

"Thank you, Ser Vaemond", Otto nodded and the man stepped back into his side of the room. "Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon".

Daemerys patted Rhaenyra's hand twice before letting it go, the woman stepping forward dejected but determined. "If I am to grace this farce with some answer. I will start by reminding the court that nearly twenty years ago, in this very—".

Rhaenyra was cut off as the doors swung open, revealing the King Viserys in all his fragile glory. Her surprised face made Daemerys turn to the doors — she huffed a smile at the man, not believing her eyes.

"King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm", the Kingsguard spoke loudly as the man himself stepped down towards them, half his face covered in a golden mask, crown on top of his hairless head and cane hitting the floor with every small step he took.

Daemerys smirked so evilly that people would mistake her for a villain, she turned to face Alicent who turned when she felt eyes on her — her blood boiling at the smugness on the bastards face.

Just as he reached Lucerys he stumbled forward a bit, luckily Daemerys had been standing there and rushed forward to catch him just in time — the man heaving heavy breaths, "Oh, I've got you", she balanced him straight and he looked at her gratefully, making her smile.

He continued walking forward, back hunched over and brushed away any guards who'd try and interfere every time he stopped to take a breath. Daemerys wondered just behind him until he reached Rhaenyra who cried tears of joy and astonishment.

As he reached the stairs of his throne, Otto now standing at the bottom of it, he looked to be in thought. "I will sit the throne, today", he turned his head to Otto, the man bowing his head in respect before joining his daughter.

Daemerys stood right behind him, ignoring Alicent's burning gaze. Viserys heaved himself up every step, groaning each time, continuing to brush of the guard trying to help him.

The crown slipped off his head, making him stop, the clatter sending silence through the room. Daemerys shoved past the guard trying to stop her getting to him and picked it up. Viserys turned to face who had grabbed it and smiled when he saw his niece who didn't give him a single pitiful look — he was grateful for that.

"Get up. You will not fall today", she told him strongly, everyone in the room hearing her. Rhaenyra smiled then, knowing how intimidating she could be.

Viserys nodded, getting up from his head on the cane in his hand, Daemerys holding her arm out for him to grab to help him up the last steps — he did so willingly and the pair together ascended the steps until he practically threw himself into his throne.

"Your Grace", she smiled as she placed the crown on top of his head, the man smiling a little in return — trying to capture any breaths he could.

"Thank you, my girl", Daemerys bowed before lifting the bottom of her dress and walked gracefully down the steps — silently patting herself on the back for doing a good deed.

Aemond watched her with nothing but admiration — he was not close with his father but the way she just helped him despite him shoving everyone else away made him almost smile.

Daemon squeezed her hand in thanks when she reached her family again, standing next to him and Rhaenyra as Lucerys stood beside his mother and Jace behind Daemerys.

"I must... admit... my confusion", Viserys begun, looking at them all. "I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession. The only one present... who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys's wishes is the Princess Rhaenys".

They all turned to the women then, "Indeed, Your Grace", she stepped forward then — both sides of the family worried for what she would say as her words would finalise one's outcome only.

"It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his trueborn son... Lucerys Velaryon. His mind never changed. Nor did my support of him", Daemerys cast a look to the boy who looked a lot let pale now with a small smile on her face. "As a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her sons Jace and Luke to Lord Corlys's granddaughters, Baela and Rhaena. A proposal to which I heartily agree".

Daemerys chuckled under her hand at the sight of Vaemond's furious face and Alicent's dejected one — Aemond who had been watching felt his lips twitch at her amusement of the situation. However, at the mention of marriage, Viserys couldn't help but slip a look to Daemerys with a small smile of his own.

"Well... the matter is settled. Again. I hereby reaffirm Prince Lucerys of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lord of the Tides".

At that, Rhaenys walked away satisfied. Viserys turned to Daemerys who had been watching Lucerys with a proud look, "Daemerys", her head snapped towards him, everyone now looking at her.

"Yes, Your Grace?", she asked.

"I believe you had a proposal of your own?", Daemerys blinked at him. Oh no he didnt. Yes. Yes he did.

"I- um. Yes I did", she stumbled over her words with a nervous laugh, her parents watching with confused expressions.

Viserys raised a hand to the front and she gulped quietly before moving past her mother to stand in front of the throne — her heart beating so loud she could swear everyone in the room could hear it.

"My proposal was that—", she looked to Aemond for a second before looking back at her uncle, "Well, I um want to keep peace between our houses, you see".

Viserys smiled at her words, "How do you propose we do this, the God's know I've been trying for years".

"I—", she glanced back at her mother who watched confused but encouraged her to speak her mind nonetheless so she turned back to the King with determination. "I wish for your support in a marriage, Your Grace".

A few gasps were heard, Heleana clapping despite not knowing who the wedding was for. Aemond and her brothers watched amused and her parents watched confused.

"A marriage between myself and Prince Aemond, Your Grace".

If people weren't surprised then. They were now.

"No! Absolutely not!", Alicent screeched and turned to the woman with wide eyes. However, Daemon chuckled from behind Daemerys, he was surprised but she was definitely his daughter.

"Silence, Alicent", Viserys mumbled and the Queen stepped back with fury.

Aemond stared wide eyed at the young woman, his heart thumping as he did not think that this was coming at all — his idea of her pulling a proposal was something on the lines of killing someone but he'd take this, he'd marry her, of course he would.

"Aemond", he was called. The prince looked away from her and towards his father, "What do you think of this, proposal?".

Otto turned to the King in shock, "She is a bastard, Your Grace, you cannot be agreeing upon this".

"Do be quiet, Otto, or I'll remove your tongue", Daemerys hissed, the man looking at her eyes wide.

Viserys glared down, "Daemerys was legitimised in front of many when Daemon brought her here as a babe. She is as much a Targaryen as I am. She is my blood. The next person to call my niece a bastard will have their tongues removed".

Daemerys smiled at him with a soft gaze, silently thanking him. "Now, I believe I asked my son a question", she looked to Aemond then, for the first time since she spoke her proposal. He looked at her softly, she thought he would be mad, yell out a no and spit in her direction but he did not. What he did shocked her.

"I accept Daemerys proposal, father", he spoke loudly before casting her one last look and walking back to stand next to his brother. Her eyes went wide and lips twitched when Alicent looked like she was about to burst.

"Very well, I'll be the first to decree the betrothal of Daemerys—", he looked at her silently, not knowing what to call her.

"Just Daemerys", she whispered to him.

"—Daemerys and Aemond Targaryen. May they have a blessed union".

Cheers entered the hall, the woman turning after thanking her uncle to face her parents who looked nothing short of amused. Rhaenyra hugged her with a chuckle before Daemon pinched her cheeks. Jace and Luke weren't happy though she knew it was because they were protective of her but congratulated her nonetheless.

"You break the law—", a voice seethed. The families looking to see Vaemond stepping forward, glaring at Daemerys and Rhaenyra. "and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir. Yet you dare tell me... who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon".

Daemerys looked down at that, eyes fuming.

"No. I will not allow it".

"Allow it? Do not forget yourself, Vaemond".

Vaemond turned and pointed at Lucerys, anger in his tone and face, "That is no true Velaryon, and certainly no nephew of mine".

Rhaenyra turned to her son quickly, demanding he go to his chambers before turning back to the mad man, "You have said enough".

"Lucerys is my true-born grandson. And you... are no more than the second son of Driftmark", Viserys spoke calmly, unlike Daemerys who looked like she was about to blow a fuse.

"You... may run your house as you see fit... but you will not decide the future of mine. My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations besides", Vaemond turned to Lucerys who was now beside Daemerys as she moved closer him and spat, "And gods be damned... I will not see it ended on the account of this—", he stopped short, the word on the tip of his tongue.

Daemerys and Daemons stared him down, "Say it", Daemon egged on.

"Go on", his daughter finished. Discreetly taking her fathers sword from his waist and hiding it in the ruffles of her dress.

Silence consumed them as they awaited for words to be spoken, "Her children and this half-wit...", Vaemond continued staring at Rhaenyra as he addressed her sons as well as addressing Daemerys, "are bastards!", he yelled. Gasps were made and Viserys sat forward in his seat but he wasn't finished.

Daemerys looked at him angrily, how dare he? Blood rushed to her ears as her grip on her fathers sword tightened, knuckles turning white.

"And she is...", he then turned to Viserys as he spoke of Rhaenyra, not noticing Daemerys shuffle across the room. "a whore".

Viserys stood from his throne, blade in his hand as he heaved, "I... will have your tongue for that".

Gasps and cries were made when Vaemonds head came clean off, his tongue being the only remaining part of it. Blood coated Daemerys dress and face as she was the one to cut his head off. She looked from the man's dead body on the floor, his blood covering her shoes up to her uncle with fire in her eyes, "He can keep his tongue. It'd ought to teach him some manners. Apologies for the mess, Your Grace".

Alicent covered her children in shock, but Aemond looked from the body on the floor to his betrothed with admiration, Aegon watching with a laugh.

"Disarm her!", Otto yelled.

Daemon stepped forward and took his sword from his daughters hand, "No need", he wiped the blood from the sword onto her dress and she was covered in it anyway.

Daemerys face was nothing but a cold look, void of anything. She often got like that when she killed someone. She'd just go quiet. Daemon touched her cheek, wiping some blood away making her snap out of her daydream to see her father smiling down at her. "It's okay, sweet girl", he grabbed her hand and pulled her along to where her brothers were standing.

In an instant, Jace grabbed a hold of her and used his cloak to wipe the blood from her face, Lucerys doing his best to keep it out of her hair.

Viserys began groaning and slumped into his seat, Alicent running towards him, "Someone get the Maester".

"Father?", Rhaenyra called once her shock of what just happened wore off.

Daemerys zoned out after that, seeing nothing but her family pulling her away from the room and into her chambers where her mother was making her a bath to get rid of the blood as they were having supper with the rest of the family that evening — her brothers and father waited in her room, giving her privacy, but wanted to make sure she was alright.

The only thought on her mind was that she was going to marry Aemond, and she didn't know how to feel about that.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro