Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Seokjin's POV

When I arrive home after a long day that granted me the meeting of two mates, I begin and finish my entire routine of showering and doing my skincare before changing into nightclothes without a single thought crossing my mind other than them.

Hoseok and Y/N.

It was hard to focus on my new tasks when I couldn't have either of them by my side even though I knew them to be so near, or when my most vivid memory of one was of her crying and sobbing with heartbreak, of her trembling body fitting so perfectly in my arms.

Oh, what I wouldn't give to hug her again, without all the tears. But I know that this morning was hard for her, with its intense load of anxieties that could only grow with the years that kept her away from our other mates.

Hoseok and I couldn't possibly blame her for breaking down in front of us. I rather feel like it was a good thing that it happened right away, to free her from some of that pain.

And we did end on a positive note, a good thing considering that it was our first meeting, but I wish we could've stayed by her side anyway.

Hoseok and I struggled parting ways after exiting her office, especially after all that we'd heard and seen, but we knew that we couldn't stay with her on our first day at our new job, not without causing some sort of misunderstanding.

The supervisors had been quick to send us a message telling us which department had been more likely to suit us, and we had to make our way there right away to talk with the managers so they could help us settle down and learn more about the tasks under their responsibility and what they were all about.

I ended up in translations, surprisingly.

I've always had an ease with languages, but never had a chance to prove myself until now. My previous jobs all refused to make use of my talent by fear that I wouldn't be good enough, so it's nice to be given that trust for once.

I later learned from Hoseok himself, during lunchtime in the fancy cafeteria, that he'd been sent to the sales department, and he too seemed pretty happy about that.

It showed us that they took our comfort and preferences very seriously, and that means a lot to me, especially as a hybrid. My answers to the test's questions were all respected, even when it came to my environment and how I wish people would interact with me.

No touching my wings or standing behind me without making a noise, those were my more obvious requests, and everyone so far has made sure to let me know that they were near me when I couldn't see them, or made extra steps to avoid walking into one of my slightly outstretched wings whenever I'd stand and stretch after spending hours at a desk.

Everyone has been respectful, no judging eyes on my form, nor did I hear anything that left a bad taste in my mouth, which had become the norms at my previous jobs, to a point that I'd given up on being treated normally. Not being the only hybrid to work there was also a good feeling.

BeyondGold truly is the haven that we were promised, and that my mate is behind it makes me incredibly proud. She's slowly changing the world to make it a better place for people like me, and now I can help too.

I gaze around the dark and empty living room, no energy left in me to stand and turn on the light when silence so softly caresses my mind after the busy day I just had, and my eyes fall to the soulmark on my palm.

It clearly wasn't a dream since it didn't disappear from my skin, and it is the most beautiful mark I have ever seen in my life. No other could look as pretty to me as this one does.

I let a finger trail softly over each flowers, and then stop it over the paler one.

As if only a tenth of the healing was accomplished today, it hasn't gone any darker since our moment in Y/N's office, and it makes me wonder if her bond will go back to normal only after she's met everyone else again.

Like it represents the state of her own soul, incomplete and slightly erased, because isn't that what she had to do to protect the others? She had to remove herself from the picture, from everyone's life.

It's hard to believe that so much pain had to happen while I wasn't part of their life yet, that they had time to love each other, and then hurt each other before I could meet any of them.

I don't like that, don't like that I couldn't prevent anything, as if the younger version of me would've known what to do.

Would I have followed her at the time if I'd noticed that something was wrong?

Or would I have stayed back with the others to comfort them in her absence?

My eagle form does allow me a freedom that most hybrids do not get to experience, and while not quite legal for me to fly anywhere in my animal form, I don't doubt that I would've broken every rules for her.

And yet, I could not do that.

Life decided to isolate her, and then... that part of her life is dark, covered in smoke and flaws and spiderwebs, not to be seen by anyone else but her. What happened to her after she was taken away?

Why did things fall apart the way they did? I have so many questions, and so few answers.

I sigh before deciding to move forward with registering my mark so that I can let the others know about her, just like Hoseok and I promised her we would.

I'm feeling a bit nervous, obviously, there are so far at least four soulmates who I haven't met yet, but I'm also determined to get in contact with them, for her sake as well as for mine.

We didn't think about exchanging our phone numbers before parting ways so I cannot message or call Y/N to let her know about how it went, but I'm sure I could request to meet her if I ask my manager.

The next time we meet, we're going to have to make sure we can contact each other more easily before leaving again because this is quite unnerving, it's hard to be left on my own like this when I already miss the two of them.

I sigh before grabbing my phone from my seat beside me. Complaining won't serve me for now, so it's best to do what I can for tonight and leave the rest to tomorrow.

"Well... here goes nothing. Let's see how this soul registry works".

Your POV

When San stops the vehicle in front of the mansion, the sky has already turned a dark blue, forcing the street lights to compensate and share their brightness with the world to allow sight to human eyes again.

It's quiet and... eerie, in a way, but there's also a calmness to this scene that helps my nerves to fall at ease.

We both step out of the car, then make our way across the lawn to reach the front door that I unlock with the spare key, one of the two that came with the lock. Those in charge of the renovations will have to give it back once everything's over, but that doesn't worry me.

It's not like there's anything to steal anyway, not yet, and San will probably change the lock again once it's time to move in.

I take a deep breath as I feel his warmth from behind me, and I push the door open before turning on the light switch to my right, after which the rooms come to view at the same time.

Dust raises a little when I make a step inside, and I cough with a hand before my mouth to keep myself from inhaling more, my other hand waving in front of my face to get the particles away.

I leave space for San to get inside so he can close the door, and I look around me with a ball of worry and discomfort in my stomach.

This place is just as big as I remember, and its emptiness can only increase the impression that at least a hundred people could easily fit in the main area alone, though I never saw it happen.

If I think about it, my parents were never really ones to invite anyone over. I never met any of their friends, nor did it ever cross my mind that they might be without.

The subject seemed to bother them, so I learned to drop it at a young age. It's rather a peculiar thing to remember, but I guess we were always a strange family to the neighbourhood. It's no wonder that I couldn't make friends.

I walk further inside until I reach the intersection that connects the two wings with the main hallway, then stop again to glance in both directions, memories filling my mind of my carefree younger self as I explored the building like it was some sort of castle filled with secrets.

I was so eager to find all of them back then. Until my mother deemed that behaviour unworthy of someone my age, and I was forced into silent elegance, such as to keep others away from my person.

I hum softly, remembering the many closed doors that seemed to come with curses of old whenever I'd lay a hand on the cold surface to push them open in the middle of the night, something that used to bring me peace.

My family never used any of the accessible facilities in the building, which makes me wonder why they bought this building to begin with. I don't see a point in buying such an expensive manor if you're going to use only a quarter of its space.

I know for a fact - as I have walked in there way too many times to observe the moon's reflection onto the surface of the dirty water - that there is an inside pool in the left wing, with huge glass panels that make up a good portion of the dome ceiling to allow the light to fall like a shower of stars.

It's the only room in the entire mansion that I know of to have such a special ceiling. It's probably my most favourite place to be, even though I don't feel particularly drawn to the water itself.

There is an outdated theater that was also never used other than for my nightly escapades right besides the pool room, and another unused room that could maybe make a... gaming room or something.

An arcade, Jungkook would probably love that.

I don't really know how they were adjusted throughout the years though, as a few families apparently lived here after my disappearance, but I heard from the contractors that the rooms weren't so bad, though that didn't matter much as I requested that everything gets taken out to start anew anyway.

As for the right side of the building, I know that there is a wing of bedrooms that were left mostly empty for the entire time that we lived here. I believe they were live-in quarters for the staffs that used to work for the previous families of older mentalities, much like maids and butlers.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of them were hybrids, and I can only hope that they were treated properly during their stay between these walls.

I walk further inside the silent building slowly, eyes surveying one room at a time and seeing the progress that was made with pleased nods of the head. So far, everything seems to be going well.

The flooring has yet to be installed, but I'm sure that it will be done soon. There are boxes in the sunroom for what I assume will be the kitchen cabinetry, and there's even the protected island's quartz counter that was pushed against the wall for when its time comes.

My hope is that everything will look so different from the past, that my brain won't be able to realize that it's the same space at all. I admit that this is a bit ridiculous, but seeing this place empty so far does the trick, just as I'd wanted.

I might remember the layout of the mansion well, but the resemblance ends there.

The living room won't be at the same place, the kitchen's layout will look different, and the dining table will be in the sunroom, just because I like that there are many windows surrounding it instead of the dark corner that encouraged my parents' bad moods.

The gardens outside already look a lot better than when I was a kid, but I have plans to make them look even better and cozy so that I can spend some time outside to read with the smells of flowers and herbs around to soothe my soul.

I do wonder what it would feel like to see my soulmates in their animal forms run around the lawn, between the trees and flowers that cover the surface of grass like sprinkles of magic, as if their sole mission is to offer warmth in someplace already dead.

I wonder if Jungkook and Taehyung would have fun hiding from each other and playing like their kind is meant to do while I gaze at the scene with a book on my lap. I certainly would like that.

I find the staircase to my right, and I pause where I am as I see right at the top of the last stair my old bedroom. I don't have many good memories about it, other than the fact that this is where I would store my most cherished treasures.

It was never meant to be safe for me, unlike the forgotten rooms of the mansion that used to silently hug my crying form when the moon would rise high in the sky and I was in need of comfort.

I still remember as if it happened yesterday, the day when my father randomly came in drunk and pulled me out of bed and against the wall before kicking his anger into my bones.

It's still a mystery to me how I managed to hide my wounds from the guys the next day.

It's a mystery how I could hide anything from them at all. I almost wish I hadn't remained so silent about the abuse, if only I'd spoken up about what my parents had done to me. I wonder what would've happened then.

I sigh, knowing it futile to think about such a thing, then forcefully drag my eyes away from the door up the stairs and to the bathroom that is in the middle of being completed. The flooring is done, and except for the shower, everything seems to be in function.

Honestly... I doubt the second floor will serve much.

The ballroom was a closed access from the very beginning, just like the pool, and besides another live-in quarter and where my parents used to sleep, there's not much to see.

Of course, my parents owned the biggest bedroom of the building, which was closer to the ballroom, but I never really went there as they didn't like to see me in that area.

Maybe they hid things that I wasn't meant to see? I'll most likely never know.

I just know that I will not take over the master bedroom.

I'll instead take one of the rooms on the main floor, in the unused wing. There are many bedrooms there, so I can take the one that offers me the prettiest outside view, and I already have an idea of which one it is.

I turn right into the large hallway and make my way to the room furthest at the end, which I know to be bigger than the others. It used to be a piano room, and the instrument settled over the platform by the windowed half that protruded out into the gardens.

Rose bushes and fruit trees would sit beneath the floor-to-ceiling windows, and the sun would shine down on those who would play the instrument, giving them a magical shine as their fingers would bring to life endless songs to bring healing.

That's the only good thing my older brother used to bring into my life - music.

But then he suddenly stopped caring about it, and our budding relationship as brother and sister broke as fast as he'd closed the door for the last time.

I push the same door open, then let my gaze wander across the large room.

It's empty, just like everywhere else, and now that I'm bigger, the room also feels smaller. It's going to be perfect though, I don't need much space to be comfortable.

I already have in mind to place my bed where the piano used to be, with thick curtains that will fall from the ceiling over every windows to give me intimacy, though it's not like anyone could look in from the outside.

The gigantic backyard was made so not even my neighbours can see anything, and enough trees cover the area so that no one from the main garden can see into this room unless they stand right in front of the windows.

Hopefully I can make the large room look cozy so I can relax more easily. The penthouse doesn't really allow me that much back in the city, I find that it's too... cold. Not enough nature around.

Here will be different though. I'll have flowers inside, plants to add warmth and colour. Paintings on the walls to bring life into the space, anything to make sure it doesn't end up like before due to my parents' neglect.

"Where do you want your bedroom to be, San?" I ask the dog hybrid who has followed me in silence from the very beginning, and he makes a soft sound as he comes to stand besides me where we both gaze at the garden together.

"I might settle upstairs, I like how quiet it is. There's a library up there, so I'd like the room beside it. Are you going to hire live-in staff to help you care for your property? It will get dusty quickly if you don't have a few people here to clean the mansion regularly".

I scrunch my nose a little at his comment, although I know that he's right.

This mansion is too big for me to clean on my own. I had to give up back then since it was too much work for one person, but I don't like the idea of having people live here for the sole reason of cleaning behind me.

"You would need a gardener as well, and a chef, unless you want me to manage the kitchen here as well".

"A chef would be... a bit much, San. I can cook too. A gardener might indeed be necessary with the gardens and inside plants that I have in mind, but it won't be before we've settled in properly".

We fall silent again, content to simply bask in the emptiness that surrounds us. It somehow feels easy on the mind, with no distractions to weight on our senses.

"I'll see about the live-in staffs, but I don't feel comfortable about it, San. I don't like that, it feels like I'd be just as bad as those who abuse of their workers. What kind of person does that make me if I hire maids?" I finally admit after a moment of reflection, and the rottweiler turns to stare at me with eyes that let me know he's not pleased with what I just said.

"Y/N. People would cry of happiness if they only could manage to get hired by you. You are not like your parents, not like Hae-in, you are someone who respects beings and boundaries alike. You make those who are unworthy feel like they are precious and worth loving. That's what you did for me, so I would know what I'm talking about.

"Giving people a roof over their head, a comfortable bed to sleep on, food to eat, proper breaks and a freedom that goes with a salary proportionate to how hard they work will not make you into someone who abuses of your workers, but into someone who offers a life worth living. I wish you would stop being so scared of being someone you cannot be".

I purse my lips bashfully as he speaks those words with confidence, my ears turning hot as embarrassment fills my chest.

What am I supposed to say to that?

I clear my throat before looking away from him.

"I guess... I guess we could see to it that we hire a few staffs to take care of the mansion, then. Can I let you take care of that? You're a better judge of character than I am, I fear that I would let the wrong people inside, and that's far from what I need as I start over in my hometown".

Not the least surprised that he managed to convince me, but still happy to see that it was easier to convince me than he expected, he nods his head with a spark in his eyes, a tiny smile tugging at his lips and making me smile back.

It really isn't so bad to have someone by my side like this. San keeps me from getting overwhelmed by choices that aren't always the best for me, but that feel the safest for my heart.

I don't want to imagine what would've happened had I been without him from the day I was taken by the mafia leader.

I think it's safe to say that I might not be alive today if it weren't for him.

"Let's go see the inside pool, I want to see what state it's in, not to forget the theater room. I don't really know what to make of it just yet" I let out so we can change onto another topic that I can handle better, and he nods before following me closely again.

"I don't believe the pool was used often by the previous families either. It might be a good idea to have it inspected by professionals before we use it. The theater may be equipped with the latest technology to offer a real cinema experience, but do you even like movies?".

"I'm not sure. I never was allowed to watch movies when I was young, and it's not like I have any free time to do so when I'm working so much today. But it might be interesting to give it a try".

With that said, we keep walking around the mansion for a bit longer, just to have an idea of what to do with each rooms, and he does share some insights about what he thinks would be better, seeing as he has more experience than I do about such big spaces.

Hae-in's house was gigantic as well.

It was even bigger than here, and there were so many repeats of the same rooms that I came to wonder what was even the point. It's not something I want to see happening here, but I am expecting for some rooms to remain unused once more.

I wonder if Hoseok and Seokjin would agree to move in with me if I were to ask them. It would make the mansion.. less empty and more alive.

They could choose one of the many rooms next to mine, and we could rest easy knowing that we're near one another. I purse my lips as I think it over, my heart and mind both begging for me to ask them even though we just met.

I guess I could always ask them later, there's no harm in that. Then they can refuse and settle the matter for once so I don't remain with wishful thinking in my little lonely corner.

But who knows... they could also agree, and that would make me incredibly happy.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro