Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I have a moment of anxiety as I open the door of my office before my shoulders melt upon seeing that it's empty.

Thank goodness that San managed to take them away from here before I was done with the tour, though I did take my time for that exact purpose.

One of the hybrid secretaries working by my office soon enters the room behind us after a knock to bring in the tea that I had requested, and I can tell from the cups alone that San was the one who prepared them for us before leaving.

She settles everything onto the coffee table, then bows elegantly before leaving again, and I once more marvel that he always manages to get everything that I need ready despite his mountain of tasks under his responsibility.

"Have a seat, father. I'm sure you didn't pretend to be a loving and doting father just for good old time, so let me hear it before I send you off".

He doesn't reply, instead taking a seat on the couch that just yesterday supported my soulmates, and the contrast that the sight brings me in emotions is almost laughable.

What a week to have everything happen almost all at the same time.

The fact that he took from me a reunion with my four soulmates is not something I can forgive easily, and I might just be tempted to have him thrown into one of the outside garbage containers before the truck comes by for its weekly clean up.

My father grabs the cup, then breathes in the smell of the tea before grimacing, his mask completely falling off since he doesn't need to perform anymore. I knew it was only a matter of time.

"This smells just like the kind of thing a hybrid would make. These creatures roam the halls like they own the place, I can't believe that you're hiring hundreds of them and letting them treat you so... friendly".

Yeah, there it is, the father that I remember.

"How awful, isn't it? Treating living beings with worth instead of walking all over them, I'm sure you have no idea what that feels like". I hum lightly as I grab the other cup of tea to take a sip, the taste just as delightful as always.

It calms my nerves, just like I needed. Another reason to thank San.

A cup against the marble floor and liquid gets everywhere as the porcelain breaks into little shards, an old sight that brings back memories to the surface, not that I'd ever forget them.

I remain where I am, unfazed, and I can only thank my life with Hae-in for that, because I learned to truly fear someone only when I saw that man angry and bursting at the seams.

What father is doing is nothing more than a baby tantrum.

"You haven't changed" he spits out, and I chuckle in response.

"I would say the same to you, father, you're still the same as always. How's mother and my older brother? I'm sure they haven't changed either, does she cope well without me to cater to her every needs? Or has his soulmate been forced to take my place?".

He stands up in one swift movement, coffee table the only thing right now that keeps him from jumping on me with a fist at my face, but I raise one hand to stop him, after which I point at the few cameras in the office.

A simple security measure, San had said, because one never knows what goes on in unstable people's heads.

"I would ask you to sit down and keep your hands to yourself, sir" I say coldly as I stare at him through my lashes, cup still to my lips so I can take another small sip.

"You're in my territory here, so I would think twice before causing a scene. You wouldn't like being thrown out of here by a bunny, would you? There's a very strong one here that works for me, and he'll be here in less than a minute if I call for him".

I can see the way his muscles twitch as he fights against what seems to be a deeply rooted habit to my person, and it somehow disgusts me even more today than it used to in the past.

So many years of not seeing me, and he still wants to throw me at his feet as soon as he hears something that displeases him.

"Now, tell me. Why are you here?" I ask him calmly after setting my tea back on the table, ready to call this meeting over so I can get to my soulmates. The old man breathes out loudly before sitting down, and I inwardly sigh in relief.

I guess even the devil can listen to the rules sometimes.

He sits proudly before me, shoulders squared up, and I would think he'd have something interesting to say for once, but I'm proven wrong when he parts his dry lips to say something that I've heard all too often.

"As your father, I come requesting an allowance. You make a lot of money now, so I'm sure you can afford to help us monetarily. It's only fair after we raised you up to be such a successful daughter".

I laugh in his face, a belly laughter that comes from the heart, unseeing the way that his face falls in anger as I let amusement wash over me at the ridiculousness of his words.

As my father, he comes requesting an allowance? This is the most hilarious thing he's ever said, and it takes me far too long to stop laughing.

My nerves take this opportunity to seep out of me all the while also spreading further over my skin and into my bones, forcing me into a laughter that shakes through me without end, to the point that my stomach eventually hurts, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"How dare you laugh at me! Don't you know that you wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for your mother and I?!" he shouts as he raises to his feet once more, and I chuckle a little longer before wiping a tear from my eye, deep breaths to calm myself as best as I can.

"No, you're right. I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for you, I would most likely be living a very happy life with my soulmates right now".

I rub my chest as I think it over, eyes purposefully ignoring the insult that washes over his face at the mention of my soulmates, does he still hate hearing about them? How pitiful.

"Let's see... if we consider that the first sixteen years of my life weren't so bad, I could give you an amount to thank you for not ruining me too early. As for sixteen and older... well, I think I've done enough already. Send me your bank account and I'll transfer some money, but that'll be all. Don't expect a monthly allowance because you don't deserve it".

I raise a finger to keep him quiet when he opens his mouth to complain, and I lean forward as he glares at me.

"Let's set some things straight, father".

I keep my glare on his form, and I only continue when I see him whither under the intensity of my anger.

"You abandoned me. If I hadn't been so lucky in my business abilities, Hae-in would've made me a whore and I'd still be sucking strangers off today to pay for your bad decisions. I don't owe you shit, I survived on my own.

"You gave me hell, and the only reason why I'm standing above you today is because I got stronger instead of dying. Write your bank account and then get out of here before I get you dragged out by the hair, for old time's sake".

I push a notepad and a pen in front of him, then sit back on the couch to stare at him with what I hope is a bored look, and not an overwhelmed one.

I don't want him to know that underneath my skin, my bones are shaking with fear, my nerves jumping with every moves that he makes, as if I'm still in need of having to defend myself from his sudden attacks.

He looks like he's trying to search in his brain for anything to say against me, but he comes short and ultimately complies with an angry huff before writing down his information.

Then he's back on his feet and storming out of my office with more insults on his tongue about how I'm a terrible daughter and all that.

It's rather strange, how he's somehow forgetting that he and mother deemed me unworthy of being their daughter in the past, and now they're trying to use that to their advantage, as if I would simply go along to their every wishes.

I hold my trembling hand to my lap before standing up to close the door properly, a nod of the head to reassure the burly hybrid posted nearby for security that I'm fine before he tries to call for San.

Then I crumble to the floor, body trembling as I let the moment finally wash over me.

Yoongi's POV

I'm working at the mansion, just like usual, when suddenly, a fancy vehicle parks in front of the lawn, followed by another one before a group of men walk out, a few of them looking dejected while others look tensed.

Hearing the team's confusion has me dropping what I'm doing to see from closer what's going on, and when I notice Namjoon among the group that begins to walk closer to the building, I blink momentarily before quickly stepping out of sight to groom my ears, hair and tail.

Am I dirty? Do I have dust on the face? Why is he here? Are the others our soulmates? What's going on? They didn't say anything about coming here today in yesterday night's conversation.

"Can I help you lot?" my supervisor asks the group as he swings his tool over his shoulder in a threatening way - or so he thinks - his words directed mostly at the humans.

It seems this wasn't part of today's schedule, and a tall hybrid I've never seen before steps forward with an intimidating look to him that forces the man who always treats me badly into submission, something that makes me quirk an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Why, yes. You can help me by leaving for the day. Choi Y/N, the mansion's owner, and my boss, requests the space for today. Here is proof of who I am, as well as her contacts, which I believe you must know by heart seeing as you keep calling everyday trying to request more money for a job already well-paid".

An awkward cough and a few men start moving uncomfortably.

It makes me curious of who this guy is, I've never seen a hybrid with so much power over humans before, it's... fascinating to see.

But wait... Choi Y/N?

"Oh. Uh" another clear of the throat. "Of course, we'll be on our way, right now. Get your things and get out of here, guys! We're done for today!".

I watch as everyone runs around to grab their belongings, everything pushed aside as cleanly as possible before they're out and in their vehicles while I remain where I am, unsure of what I should be doing right now.

Do I leave too? Do I stay?

"Yoongi" a familiar deep voice speaks up from the doorway, and I turn around to find Namjoon smiling warmly at me as he walks over, a hand raising to my shoulder before he stops himself, most likely not knowing if he can touch me or not.

I don't make a move, not knowing myself what it is that I want, but otherwise still happy to see him here. I didn't think we'd meet again so soon after yesterday.

"Namjoon, what's going on?" I ask him as I tilt my head to have a look at the others who are standing still and staring at me in silence, the few ears and wings that I notice twitching under my gaze before I bring it back to Namjoon.

"Right, I'm... not sure myself, actually. We went to BeyondGold earlier this morning to meet up with Hoseok and Seokjin so we could see Y/N, but we ended up having to leave before we could see her, something about how she had to deal with a sudden emergency.

"San, her assistant, the one who just dealt with your boss, lead us back here in the meantime so I think the reunion will happen here instead" he answers with a small unsure shrug, to which the one named San nods before taking in our group with sharp eyes.

"That's right. I trust you're all her soulmates? The seven of you?".

A few of us nod their head, and I shyly show my soulmark to prove that I'm not a random stranger when his gaze ends on me, the only face he hadn't seen yet.

He quickly inspects it, then hums before looking around us to find that the flooring has been partially installed, starting with the kitchen.

I was tasked with preparing the cabinetry when they suddenly got here, so all I had time to do was move a few boxes into the other room to arrange them in their desired spaces.

"Since we're all here, let's talk. About Y/N and what happened during the time she was gone".

Namjoon, who's now by my side, tenses immediately at those words, head snapping in his direction, and every scents surrounding me turn sharper.

It's hard to make out what their scents are right now with all the dust in the air, but most of them smell like flowers and plants, as if I'm currently standing in the middle of a garden.

"Do you know what happened to her, San?" one of the humans asks softly, and my ears flutter softly under the pleasant sound even though the question is filled with vulnerability.

The dog hybrid nods somberly, then leads us further into the mansion as if he knows his way around perfectly, and he stops us in the sunroom before sitting on one of the boxes laying around, motioning for us to do the same.

I don't really know what to do with myself as I stand behind the group that all sit down around him, and one of the other humans notices me, a smile on his lips before he pats the free space left on his box.

Suddenly shy, I make small steps in his direction, then sit down next to him, close enough that our hips are touching, something that sends a pinch of warmth to my erratic heart, a butterfly flapping its wings around it and bumping against every ribs in its panic.

"I'm Hoseok" he murmurs, knowing that I have yet to know who is who other than Namjoon, and I nod at him once, my tail a bit hesitant before it settles at the base of his lower back.

His scent... chamomile, it fluffs up at the touch, and the happy pink that grows on his cheeks makes me feel better in an instant. We both bring our gaze back to San, only to notice everyone smiling at us - other than San, that is.

That has me ducking my head quickly, and the other man to my left, another hybrid, chuckles softly. His stripped tail pokes my side, and I suddenly remember yesterday's chat. Taehyung is a tiger, isn't he?

"Namjoon, Jungkook, Taehyung and Jimin".

The room falls quiet once San speaks up again, and I look around to see those who reacted to the names. There's the blond human with the soft voice, who I assume to be Jimin, and then the panther, which would be Jungkook.

With the bird who I know is named Seokjin and Hoseok by my side, we're three outsiders to what's about to be told. I'm glad that I'm not the only one to not be part of that past of theirs.

We wait for him to say anything, clearly he has a story to tell, but he simply looks down at his feet, his posture bent slightly forward with his arms resting over his knees.

He breathes in deeply, the sound almost painful, as if he's forcing air to flow into his lungs when they'd rather remain empty.

"I still remember the day when she rejected you as if it happened this morning. She didn't admit it, couldn't bear to show her weakness to anyone, but I know how much she cried in her sleep. It was hard to hear, even for me at the time".

We all frown as a heavy darkness circles us at those words, and Namjoon looks up at the hybrid with endless questions in his eyes, their postures similar.

"Aren't you Y/N's assistant? Why were you around her when it happened so long ago? Who are you to her, exactly?".

Taehyung and Jungkook both look at San with a different glow in their eyes, now. They look dangerous, the dark light in their orbs telling me that they're already guessing a part of the truth, and they're not pleased about it.

San sighs, looks up at the four of them, then at Hoseok, Seokjin and I. He doesn't look happy about what he's going to say, and I feel my body lock up before Hoseok eases my nerves by leaning closer to me.

"I was present on the day that we broke into her house. We were looking for her parents, they owed us a lot of money and we knew that they were avoiding us on purpose. So we went there in person, only, we found Y/N instead. The leader asked me to throw her in his van, and I did".

Jungkook is up on his feet and throwing his fist at San's face so quickly that it's all a blur even to my eyes, but no one stops him even as he grabs the front of his shirt to raise him in front of his face, nostrils flaring and eyes turning black.

The sudden muskiness of his scent is testament enough that he's on the verge of shifting to rip him to shred if given one more reason, and I briefly find myself wondering if I'm going to have to wash blood off the new flooring on top of everything else.

"You kidnapped her? You're the one who took her from us? Who forced her into rejecting us?".

His voice is low, a drawl almost, but San seems to not mind the anger, accepting of it even, as if he knows that he deserves it.

"I was following the orders, but that doesn't diminish what I've done, I know that. You all have to understand the world she was pulled into, and that even though she left, it doesn't mean that its hold on her has disappeared".

Jungkook hesitates, but he keeps his hold on him firm as he growls out one word.

"Speak".

"She was pulled into the criminal underworld, organized crime network, also commonly known as the mafia".

Namjoon appears horrified as he straightens up on his box, but it looks like it's more towards himself, like he's mad at himself for never having thought of that possibility before.

"Hae-in is a mafia leader, and Korea is his turf. He doesn't overlook one city but the country itself. He commands his associates with a snap of his fingers, and no one dares to deny him anything, nor do they defy him as it would be at the cost of their family's lives. That's who her parents stole from, who forced her into that fate of hers, the one who kept me on a leash from the moment I was born".

Jungkook drops him and staggers back until Namjoon pulls him close, arms closing around his waist before his legs give way under his weight.

None of us are faring any better, honestly. One of my soulmates was kidnapped by the mafia? Not only that, but by the top leader? How did she even survive that kind of world?

"She was lucky to be a genius in business matters. Sincerely. That most likely saved her life, because when Hae-in can't get the parents, he gets the children, and most often, they become whores, boys and girls alike. But not her, he had much more to gain by making use of her rare skills".

I feel Hoseok's body shake a little, his eyes round and wide with shock, fear, sadness, a look that I can find on every men in the room. I can't tell what I look like, but I imagine I'm a mix of everyone.

As for San... guilt. It's pure guilt that I see and feel dripping from him, and his scent confirms that much. He deeply regrets everything that happened, and how he had a part in making that happen.

"What happened was both a gift and a curse. Hae-in liked her from the very beginning, called her special, a miracle. He allowed her to disobey him up to a certain limit, he'd laugh when she'd insult him, hell, he even gave me to her when I asked to remain by her side, but do you know why he accepted so easily?".

"Because he considers Y/N as his own property" Namjoon speaks up right away, his voice sharp and cold, his eyes inexpressive, yet there's also a world of anger hiding behind the darkness of them.

San nods, eyes meeting Namjoon's with a similar vibe to them. Like they speak the same language, and maybe they do.

Namjoon did say that there's not much they didn't try to find her again. How far did they go that they still were left with nothing but dying dreams?

"Exactly. He didn't care because even if he gives me to her, in a way, it still means that I'm his. Hae-in doesn't just like Y/N, he desires her, lusts after her. He freed her, but kept a shackle on her ankles by helping her to build BeyondGold.

"What he gave her may seem like freedom, but he's simply waiting and counting his steps. How to get her back without breaking her too badly. How to break her mind so she accepts to be his without breaking her spirit".

I clench my fists so tightly that I can feel my nails digging in my skin, but I can't help it. What this man is saying right now is that she's still in danger. That Seokjin's intuition was right after all.

"Did he ever hurt her?".

Taehyung's the one who spoke this time, but something about his voice gives me the shivers, and I don't find the courage to glance at him. As if I'd see a flash of my own death if I did.

"No. Not him, but the others... they sure tried to get their hands on her" he spits that out with disgust, it's starting to become obvious to everyone that he never wanted to be part of that world, it seemed to be as much a prison to him as it was to Y/N.

"I kept an eye on her, kept their dirty hands away as much as I could. It took a while, but the men finally grew to know that no one touches her without dying by my hands, so that kept her safe. Hae-in wouldn't have allowed anyone to touch her either, so his obsession also served to protect her during those long years".

Seokjin's wings fluff up with disgust, a darkness found in his eyes as well, just like everyone else. At this point, this meeting might turn into 'how to murder a mafia boss'.

"Is it safe to leave her alone, then?" he asks San, and the latter nods without hesitation.

"Yes, absolutely. I made her hire people that I trust with my life, people who were born into that world but learned to despise it just like me. She doesn't know, but I made them sign a contract stating that they must protect her with their life, all of them. No one will touch her while she's in the building".

Bodies relax slightly, and I observe San under a new light.

"You could've left her to her fate, but you've taken measures to keep her safe even though you have nothing to gain from doing so".

His gaze falls on me, slightly surprised, like he wasn't expecting anyone to point that out.

"A world without Y/N might as well be a world without the sun. She is special. She gives my life meaning and worth despite the hell that I pushed her into. She trusts me, and I want to be worthy of that trust. If I ever fail her... I will never be able to forgive myself. I would rather give my life for her".

The air turns thick with the strength of his promise, and Jungkook's anger melts from his face as he glances at San warily.

"Do you like her?".

Another nod. "I adore her, but not in the way you're inquiring about. I don't love her romantically, but she is the fire that keeps my soul alive. As long as she's safe and well, that's all I need. I have no interest in getting in your way".

The panther relaxes, and he turns to Namjoon for a hug that he needs more than he can speak with words.

The human that soothed me yesterday wraps both arms tightly around him after tucking him against his chest, a sight that makes me long for that kind of love too, to be the receiver of it, to offer it.

At the silence that now grows in the gigantic mansion, San grabs his phone to look at the time, then frowns before pressing on the screen a few times, and then he's bringing it to his ear.

It rings for a while, but then the other side answers and San's concerns flare to the surface, visible to us all.

"Y/N? Are you alright?".

Hoseok can't help himself when he grabs my hand for comfort and I squeeze it back, needing the comfort myself. I've never seen her, and yet her safety already holds priority in my entire being.

"I'll be on my way. I'll let them know to never allow him inside ever again, so don't worry. You won't be seeing him again, not any of them".

He nods his head a few times, then ends the call before glancing at our group, as if trying to determine what to say. I'm sure he can see the worry that gnaws at our minds because of his words, so he just sighs before shaking his head.

"She's fine. More or less. It was her father, that's who got in your way and why she asked me to take you away from there. She seems quite shaken, but she's ready to meet you. You can stay here, I'll go get her and we'll be back as fast as possible".

He stands to leave, but stops when one of us follows him with a power to him that washes over me with tremendous weight.

"Let me come with you" Namjoon demands, and we all turn our head to stare at him as Jungkook slowly pushes himself into Taehyung's arms. He looks... broken, on a soul deep level.

"I don't think-"

"Let me come with you, San. It's not a request, it's an order" Namjoon insists coldly, and the dog hybrid frowns, unsure.

It shows that being talked to like this brings back bad memories, but he ultimately nods his head before reaching the entrance with quick feet, knowing that it'll be easier to grant him his request than to fight against it.

Namjoon turns to me, walks over, then gives me a small smile before rubbing a gentle hand between my two ears, his other hand soft as it kneads into Hoseok's shoulder reassuringly.

I didn't know that I'd crave their touch until I first felt it from Hoseok, but the line that keeps me from turning overwhelmed is still incredibly thin, so I appreciate that he doesn't do more than brushing his fingers into my light strands of hair.

"Stay with them, please. Until we figure out what to do to keep everyone safe, I'd rather have everyone stay together until we're back".

I nod obediently, and he casts one last glance at Taehyung and Seokjin before leaving after San who's already standing in the entrance, as if he just now entrusted our safety in their hands.

And... I know that I don't look really intimidating, but I'm a white wolf, for fuck's sake. Do I need to rip a face off a body to convince people that I can be dangerous too?

I purse my lips, purposefully ignoring the small chuckle that leaves Seokjin as he sees my expression change.

"How cute" he murmurs to himself, though I hear his words quite clearly due to my good hearing, and the bite to my tongue does nothing to keep the blush that crawls up my skin.

Damn it... I'll show them how scary I can be one day, I really will.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro