10| A Tenuous Agreement

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Zelda and Fira were already there when Link and Luce entered the Deku Tree's clearing. They were standing by the Master Sword's pedestal, waiting.

Zelda's torn and tattered dress had been replaced. She now wore a long-sleeved light tan tunic cinched at the waist with a thin leather belt, dark brown leggings, and high leather boots along with fingerless gloves that matched Link's. The humble color scheme was interrupted by her gold necklace, which while tucked into the neckline of the tunic, was still visible. She regarded Link with a slight nod of acknowledgement before turning back to Resa, who was tightly holding the Master Sword in her sashes.

Good morning, Holder of Courage, Resa greeted Link. He muttered back a small "Hey," unsure of how to respond. Although she seemed to bristle, Resa accepted the response and continued speaking. I summoned you both here to discuss our course of action. The second phase of our plan is to alert the four other Overseers.

"More Aegislash?" Link asked.

"They aren't," Zelda answered before Resa could. "You might know them as the Swords of Justice: Virizion, Cobalion, Terrakion, and Keldeo." Link didn't know, but he wasn't about to admit that out loud. "But that's all I know about them. What exactly they do is a mystery to me... Are they also bound by Courage?" Zelda asked Resa.

No, but they were blessed with powers by Hylia herself to assist us. They've been sealed away in four of Hyrule's oldest temples.

"That sounds like the story of the Six Sages," Zelda remarked, her eyes wide with intrigue. "They were protectors of temples and assisted an ancient Holder of Courage and Wisdom in their fight against that time's Holder of Power."

"But this ain't that story," Link said with purposeful bite in his tone.

Yet they serve a similar role. The other Overseers are to seal away Power within their spirits, an ability Hylia gifted them. With that in mind, like we did with Courage, we can separate Power from its host and fracture it. Once that occurs, we can confine it to each of the Overseers. Afterwards, they will reseal themselves back in the temples, where they are to be never opened again.

"Won't the demon take over the Overseers then?" Zelda asked.

The Triforce of Power will already be sealed, which will nullify its power. We hope that splitting it four ways will further weaken the demon's remaining traces, and as long as the Overseers are aware of and fight the demon's influence, nothing malevolent should be able to take effect.

Link scoffed. "So this plan isn't even guaranteed to work."

It is all that the original Overseers could think to do, Resa said. Sealing Power within their spirits will permanently bind it to them unless they choose to set it free. It is similar to how the Triforce of Courage is forever bound to the Holder of Courage's spirit, except the goddess Farore had created the binding herself so it cannot be undone. Link felt she was directing this last statement at him.

"Figures," he muttered.

But we must make our way to the four temples where the Overseers are. They lay in four of Hyrule's provinces: Faron, Lanayru, Necluda, and on the border of Eldin and what I believe you call Ikana. When my spirit had a mortal form, Ikana was part of the Gerudo Kingdom. Resa's body turned from side-to-side a little, like she was miming the action of someone shaking their head. Anyways, we're here in Akkala now, so the closest temple would be the Wetlands Temple in Faron. It's only one province over, but it's on the south border. I recall that the Deku can be quite vicious when crossed...

"So we could run into some border guards from the Deku Kingdom?" Link said plainly before shrugging. "At least they're not too much of a threat." He grinned at that, loudly cracking his knuckles. Zelda winced at the sound.

"If you touch any Deku, we'll be in even more trouble than we are now," she said sternly. "Any unprovoked attacks could threaten the Hyrule-Deku Treaty. We're supposed to protect them, not harm them."

"Fancy paper doesn't matter when you have a weapon pointed at your face," Link said.

Be silent, Courage! Resa hissed. But a treaty? I was unaware of such an agreement. This may make things a tad easier. What are the details of this treaty, Wisdom?

"I... don't really know all of the details," Zelda said. "I just heard about it from my father once. It came about when we allied with the Deku Kingdom, and it included a vow of nonaggression unless there's an explainable cause. But we're wanted now, which I think would be enough cause. If the Deku know King Daemos wants us, then we could face more opposition."

Resa dipped down as if she were nodding. Then we must make haste. I would have liked to depart in a few days, but it's clear time is not on our side. She turned to Zelda. And are you versed in any forms of self-defense, Wisdom?

"Give me a bow, and I'll be fine," she said.

Then we will leave today! Resa declared.

Zelda nodded respectfully, but Link could see she was trying to hide a giddy little smile. He almost scoffed aloud again. She still didn't get it. She was going to in for a rude awakening when things inevitably went bad.

—~*~—

When Zelda told Link and Resa that she had informed the Kokiri of their departure, he expected a few of them to show up to bid them farewell. After all, they seemed so interested in him and Zelda previously. However, he didn't expect the whole lot of them to come and see them off.

Two dozen Kokiri had amassed near the glade's entrance, all looking some degree of excited or hopeful. Some were whispering, but the rest were respectfully quiet, as if waiting for something to happen.

"I-I feel like we should say something..." Zelda whispered to Link.

"Then say something!" Link whispered back harshly. He wasn't about to do it, he was uncomfortable enough as it was.

"I take back what I said previously. You're so ungrateful!" Zelda hissed. She looked out at the crowd of little faces and loudly announced, "Thank you very much for helping us, everybody! We will do our best to save King Daemos and this kingdom." Her thanks delighted the Kokiri, and they began cheering. A sick feeling coiled in Link's gut when she said that. How could she sound so confident? Zelda's face lit up with joy, which sickened him further.

You shouldn't look so pessimistic, Courage. Link turned his gaze away from the Kokiri to the shrouded entryway of the glade, where he could just make out the glinting blade that was Resa's body. She had already gone ahead and hid herself before the Kokiri had gathered. Link suspected she had still wanted to keep her identity as a secret.

"That's easy for ya to say..." Link muttered under his breath. Luce's sensitive ears picked up on his words, and she gave him a reassuring smile. He tried to fake a grin, but he was sure Luce still picked up on his glowering aura.

By then the Kokiri had calmed down, emitting the usual tranquility that would have seemed alien in normal Hylian children. Then from their ranks stepped Saria. In her arms she held an eye-catching scabbard, dark blue in color and patterned with swirling gold designs.

"As a last parting gift, this is the scabbard for the Master Sword," she said, offering it to Link. "It's been in my care for as long as I can remember. Such a great weapon deserves to be housed in a fitting sheath."

So it's another way for us to be identified in the future. Great. Link took the scabbard regardless, as he had nothing to carry the sword in previously.

Saria stepped away and bowed deeply. "Farewell, Link and Zelda. It was a pleasure and honor to meet the two of you."

"Of course! And it was a pleasure to meet you, as well," Zelda said warmly, bowing back. "Thank you so much for your hospitality and for supplying us for our journey. The bow you gave me is truly beautiful." The finely-carved bow Saria had gifted Zelda before the gathering was slung behind her back along with a quiver of hand-carved arrows. When Link had first seen the weapon, he had to admit he was impressed with its craftsmanship.

"Yeah, thanks. The new clothes were... thoughtful, too," Link said. Although he tried to mask his true inflection with dismissiveness, Link was grateful. Saria seemed to pick up on it and gave him a small smile.

"You're very welcome," she said.

"Well, I suppose we're off!" Zelda said. "Goodbye, Saria." She nudged Link with her elbow and left the glade. Fira trailed a bit behind her, giving the Kokiri a small, short wave before following after Zelda. Link and Luce were the last to leave. Link gave Saria a short nod of respect. Then he vanished into the hanging curtain of ivy.

—~*~—

Link never knew how much he appreciated the open sky. With the time spent in Hyrule Castle's depths along with the shaded Kokiri Glade, he had almost forgotten what a clear sky looked like. But now that he was standing on a path that cut through the Akkala Province's few open fields, he could stare at it all he wanted.

Courage, focus! Resa's voice snapped at him. Link's expression automatically twisted into a scowl as he came back to reality. Couldn't he just enjoy being free again for a few moments? Or as free as he could be in these circumstances, that was.

"What exactly are we focusin' on?" he objected. "We're going to Faron, right? All we need to do is follow this path there since there aren't too many around here."

This doesn't mean we can afford to slack or let our guard down. If I can recall, the both of you are likely wanted, you especially, Courage.

"Eh, ya learn to live with it," Link said with a shrug.

"I don't know how you can," Zelda said, tugging on the fletching of one of the arrows in her quiver. "I hate the idea of having to skulk about in the shadows all of the time."

Link didn't even bother asking what "skulk" meant, just assuming it was some other way of saying "sneak." "Then you'll have to get used to it now. We'll have to go into a town or city at some point or other to get more supplies, and like Resa said, we're wanted."

Unfortunately I will have to agree with Courage, said Resa. However, I do not condone thievery. I'm sure we can find a way to obtain more supplies without having to steal it.

"So ya want us to buy things. With what rupees?" Link scoffed. His Fairy Pouch had been emptied out by one of Daemos' women when Link had been captured, which infuriated him when he discovered this. The two-hundred (questionably) hard-earned rupees he'd had stashed in there were completely gone. Not that two-hundred would have been able to sustain a group of five for very long, two weeks at the most if they were fickle.

That is... Resa trailed off. She stayed quiet for a surprising amount of time before admitting, Fine. I don't know. For now we should just focus on the task at hand and cross that bridge when we come to it.

"I don't think we should wait. Look, we're in Akkala right now. The closest town to here would be Farosh Town, and that works out. It's hidden, barely gets any attention since Floria Town is bigger. It's almost perfect."

"Wait, I don't understand what you're getting at," Zelda said, stopping so she could look at him.

"I'm sayin' that like it or not, ya gotta learn the ways of the thief if ya wanna make it as a fugitive," Link said. "And I'm kind enough to try and teach ya some of my tricks. I am the Illusion after all. I didn't get my title for no reason."

"There has to be some other way," Zelda said. "Can't we just forage for food ourselves? My father and I used to hunt for sport quite a bit, so I think I'm quite capable of..." She trailed off when she saw the disgust on Link's face.

"You'll have to stop right there," Link growled.

"I was saying this for me and Fira," Zelda said sternly. "I'm sorry that our dietary choices offend you as well as how we spent our spare time, but we've always had an overabundance of wild Furret and Staravia in the areas around Hateno Village. If anything, we're helping things by hunting them."

Link felt truly sick to his stomach hearing that. "Then ya can do that kind of disgustin' thing when you're back at Hateno," he took a threatening step towards Zelda, "but while you're stuck with me, if one of your arrows even touches a Pokémon—"

"What will you do?" Zelda interjected. "I'm not afraid of you, and I know you wouldn't dare harm me."

"Wanna bet?" Link said with a sneer.

Zelda balled her fists. "Unlike most people, I won't wait to be hit first."

"So I guess you're not such a 'good girl' after all," Link said. Zelda took a short but sharp breath, her eyes alight with fury. Then before anyone could react, her fist flew out and sharply struck Link in the jaw.

Everything seemed to fall silent for a moment. It was as if time had stopped, but the jolting pain from Zelda's surprisingly strong blow proved that otherwise. Link was the one to break the silence. Amidst the negativity swirling about in him, a familiar feeling of warmth arose out of it, setting fire to his blood and left hand.

"Oh, that's it!" He lunged forwards, only for his muscles to abruptly lock up. Fira was glaring at him with glowing purple eyes and a raised paw that was surrounded in the same ethereal glow.

You will not touch her, a smooth yet dangerous voice spoke slowly, Fira's eyes narrowing at the same time Link heard it. He swiftly pushed out with his paw, shoving Link back a little ways before releasing him from the psychic hold. Link stumbled but was caught by Luce.

Thank you for stopping him, because that is quite enough! Resa declared. She put herself between the two Holders. I could tell you both were about to exert Courage's and Wisdom's powers, and that is unacceptable. You will need to learn to control yourselves!

Link scowled. How in Din's name was he supposed to control something he barely had a grasp on, let alone something he didn't know he had until a week or so ago?

The powers granted to the both of you, when not kept in check, will flare and ebb with your emotions, Resa explained. You will both have to find a way to manage yourselves until you learn to control these powers.

"I believe I can manage myself quite well," Zelda said primly. "It's him that I'm worried about."

Link let out an incredulous laugh. "Says the woman who just punched me!" he exclaimed, rubbing his aching jaw. "Seems like ya have issues yourself, so don't pin it all on me."

"I... I won't even respond to that..!" Zelda hissed through gritted teeth, looking away.

Stop it! Resa demanded. It is plain to see that the two of you will disagree on most things. Even if none of us know it at the moment, there is always another avenue to overcoming an issue. So to end things right here and now, we will not be hunting any Pokémon, she turned to Link, and we will not be stealing anything! Is that clear?

"Yes. I'm sorry, Overseer," Zelda apologized curtly. She aimed a short, harsh glare at Link that clearly said "apologize!" Like Link was going to listen to her.

"Are ya jokin'? I'm not agreein' with a thing either of you sa—!" Luce grabbed Link harshly by the arm, trying to pull him away from the group. Her strength won out over his, and she succeeded in dragging him off into the trees.

Once they were obscured by the brush, Luce allowed Link to yank his arm from her grasp. "What're you doing?" he demanded. Luce growled and took hold of Link's shoulders, gripping them tightly. She stared him straight in the eyes, the fierceness in them being all he needed to not look away. Once she knew she had his attention, she relaxed her gaze and took a deep breath, holding it for a few seconds before letting it out. She then repeated this action several more times.

At first Link was confused about what she was doing, giving her a look. She briefly stopped, intensifying her gaze on him, before continuing. Link then understood. He forced himself to close his eyes and take deep breaths in line with Luce's. In and out, in and out... As he did so, the heat from both the fury and the other force slowly dissipated, dwindling down to embers before the latter vanished altogether. Only then did Luce remove her paws from Link's shoulders.

"Thanks, Luce," Link sighed as he reopened his eyes. She gave him a soft smile and nodded.

But as the warmth of Farore's essence left Link's veins, a faint feeling of dizziness overtook him. It wasn't too noticeable, though it was enough to make him blink a few times to stabilize his vision. The haze cleared, and he noticed that Luce was looking at him with concern.

"I'm fine. I dunno what that was..." Link forced his expression into a reassuring one, but it didn't stop concern of his own from brewing. He barely had a grasp on what the Triforce of Courage did, but he had a feeling that what he felt wasn't supposed to happen. Was this something he would have to deal with as well?

Luce's bark caught his attention again, and he was faced with a stern Lucario. She pointed at him, then back out of the trees to where the others were. Another sharp bark left her.

Now you want me to apologize? Link thought, incredulously raising an eyebrow, his mouth gaping a little in surprise. "I know I said I'd be more cooperative, but Zelda..." He let out a frustrated sigh. "She just pisses me off so much! I've never met someone more irritatin' than her! Well, besides Iigo, but at least I don't mind him being around when he is!"

Luce quirked an eyebrow herself, chuckling a little and shaking her head. Link didn't know what she thought was so funny.

"But fine. I'll... I'll think about apologizin'," Link huffed, bristling. Luce's eyes narrowed, one step from a death glare. "I'll really consider it!" Link then said. Luce was honestly terrifying when she gave anyone that look. Luce sighed, deciding that was as close to agreeing with her Link would get.

Upon joining up with the rest of the group, Link was given icy stares from everyone therin. He unflinchingly met each one of them, wanting to match them but knowing that he shouldn't try to stir up any more animosity for his own sake.

Link took a deep breath. "Alright. I'm... I'm sorry for what I said, Zelda, Resa. I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again." There was more he wanted to say, but it wasn't what one would call "nice," so he just bit his tongue and kept his mouth shut.

Apology accepted, Resa said thankfully. However, Zelda's response wasn't as favorable.

"I don't believe that for one second," she huffed. "When you apologize, look the person in the eye. If you do that, then I'll think you're sincere."

Link was about to protest further. But then he stopped himself, sighing. "I'm sorry for what I said."

"Thank you. Was that so hard?" Zelda raised an eyebrow.

"Yes!" Link exclaimed with equal parts sarcasm and sincerity.

Zelda smirked a little. "I'm sure it was." Her expression then softened. "And I apologize for what I said before. I should have been able to pick up on your attitude towards Pokémon considering earlier context clues." The softness gave way to firm irritation. "But I won't apologize for hitting you. To put it bluntly, you were being an ass, and I can only put up with asses for so long."

Link's eyes narrowed in indignation as he could still feel the searing remnants of Zelda's strike, but he managed to not say anything.

I'm just relieved that this was resolved, Resa sighed. But I will admit aloud that this worries me.

"What, that we have different opinions?" Link scoffed.

No, Resa said icily. Obviously people share different ideals and beliefs, so believing the opposite would simply be idiotic. It has just been unheard of for Holders of Courage and Wisdom to clash so brazenly.

"Good to know we're so special," Link said with a smirk.

Resa glared at him. Perhaps under different circumstances I would agree. But unfortunately, we cannot afford to have this occur in the future. We're meant to cooperate, not fight, especially you two. If the guard is already after us, then teamwork between the two of you could determine whether or not we're captured or not.

Link suppressed a shudder. Although he wouldn't admit it, being in that dungeon had been horrible. And he had a feeling he would be due for more "punishments" at Ganondorf's hand if he were brought back there.

"If that's the case, then so be it," Zelda sighed. She turned to Link, holding out her hand. "Let's make an agreement. We work together and try not to fight, or we can at least just tolerate each other. Then as soon as this is all over, we'll part ways and never see each other again. Does that sound good?"

Link looked at her hand, scowling. "Fine." He took her hand, and he was surprised at how firm and calloused it felt despite the rest of her appearance. "Agreement accepted," he said, shaking her hand.

Zelda took her hand back. "Thank you," she said, smiling at Link. His eyebrows rose when he noticed the quick hint of smugness her smile bore before it vanished into normal satisfaction. Link hid another smirk. Hylia, Zelda pissed him off to no end, but he had to admire her guts.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro