11| Southern Swamps

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Link ducked to the side as Luce's fist swung towards him, her paw missing his head by a breadth's hair. He quickly threw a right hook at her, but she danced out of the way, skidding to a stop. She waited for Link to make a move with her arms raised in a defensive position. He hesitated but decided to take the risk. Link advanced, lashing out with the Master Sword. Even if it struck her, it wouldn't cut due to its blade being wrapped in cloth.

Luce's eyes flashed blue as an ethereal bone flared into existence in her paws, which collided with the sword's blade. Link shoved against Luce's Bone Club, expecting her to try and sweep her legs under his to topple him. He didn't expect her to suddenly fall back, causing Link to stumble. As he did, Luce's leg came up, kicking the sword from Link's grasp.

The Lucario smiled confidently upon seeing Link's look of shock. She then lashed out herself, grabbing hold of Link's arm and quickly twisting it so it was bent at an awkward angle. Link bit his tongue to stifle a hiss of pain. He knew he couldn't move, because if he did, Luce could easily break his arm. His shoulders slouched in defeat.

"Fine, I yield," he admitted.

Luce let him go, dispelling her Bone Club as she did so. When Link was properly back on his feet, Luce crossed her arms and gave him a stern look, one of a disappointed mother facing her child. She sharply barked, raising an eyebrow as she did so.

"I attacked instead of defended," Link responded. Luce tilted her head, and Link continued. "And I made it too easy for the foe to grab me." She nodded. "Ya can't really blame me for bein' rusty, though," Link said. "It's been a week or somethin' since we were last able to train, and—" Luce barked again, cutting Link off. He sighed. "Fine, there's no excuses."

Despite his loss, it felt amazing to Link to be training with Luce again. It was part of their daily routine, and it was a part that he thoroughly enjoyed. It was a shame that they had an audience now.

Impressive, Resa commented. I must admit that I underestimated your skills.

"Even though I lost?" Link huffed. "Hey, I'll take the compliment if it is one."

You and Wisdom are more experienced with combat than I had first thought, which will make things much easier should we encounter any trouble, Resa said as she looked over to where Zelda was training with Fira.

Fira formed orbs of psychic energy in his paws, which he tossed into the air at varying heights and speeds like impromptu clay Pidove. Zelda stood nearby with her bow, taking aim and swiftly firing at the flying orbs. When her arrows struck them, they would explode in a splash of magenta light.

"Okay, why is she actually good at that?" Link muttered, surprised. The thought of how many Pokémon she possibly had brought down with a bow turned his stomach, but he had to admit she knew how to use it. But would she be willing to raise that bow to a person if she had to?

Once Zelda had run out of arrows, Fira flicked out his paw. All of the arrows rose into the air where they gathered back into a bundle, which then flew right into Zelda's quiver.

Very impressive, Wisdom, Resa praised.

Zelda's eyes widened, her cheeks gaining a light blush. "Really? Th-thank you very much, Overseer. I've heard I'm decent at shooting, but to receive praise from someone like you is just..." She smiled sheepishly. "Thank you again." The smile lasted for but a moment, being replaced with her usual no-nonsense expression. "Is it all right if I start another round? Or are we going to break camp soon?"

It would be best if we were on our way. Resa flourished out the map before her. I was examining the map, and it appears that we are close to the border of the Faron Province.

"You can read Hylian?" Link asked.

Yes. She looked up at Link. My spirit was versed in all of Hyrule's languages in life, so I can read and understand nearly everything anyone says. Although... I am clueless about 'slang.' She turned her attention back to the map. I've been fortunate to mostly understand what Courage has said thus far.

"Hey, same goes for you!" Link barked, clenching his fists. "You talk like you've read every one of those word books in Hyrule."

"Word books?" Zelda frowned. "Do you mean dictionaries?"

Link had to think for a moment. "Yeah. Those," he then said.

Resa eyed him from her peripherie. Anyways, we are currently here. She tapped one of her sashes near the center of the Faron Province. The temple supposedly lies just above the border of the Deku Kingdom. It seems to be about a day's time in travel, so we should be able to reach it by nightfall.

There was a reason why Link tended to avoid the southernmost parts of Faron. Besides there being more guards with the Deku Kingdom border being so close by, almost the entirety of that section consisted of a large swamp that extended out from the Deku Kingdom itself. This swamp would have to be traversed during night, as it had fallen when the group reached the outskirts.

The swamp was as foreboding as Link had envisioned it. A thick drove of trees rose up from the water, accompanied by patches of reedy grass that had their roots submerged; fog stretched out in all directions, creating a thin veil that misted the surface of the water. The moonlight occasionally peeked through the treetops, and when it did, it threw odd patterns of pale light across the water's murky surface. Wild Yanma and Cutiefly occasionally buzzed past Link's head as the lonely calls of Hoothoot and Noctowl echoed in the distance, creating the only outside auras he could sense.

"This is disgusting..." Zelda groaned. Link looked to see that she had stepped into a hole, her boot sunk nearly knee-deep into the muddy water. "Why couldn't we just stay on the trail?" Though he didn't say anything, Fira seemed to be in agreement as he backed up, his nose wrinkling.

"'Cause there's less of a chance of us runnin' into a patrol," Link answered, watching Zelda wrench her foot back into more shallow waters. "Patrols obviously have their routes goin' ways that can walked through easier."

The temple also does not have any trails that aren't close to populated areas leading to it, so it would have been inevitable that we had to do this, Resa added.

Zelda huffed audibly, muttering angrily to herself about it being more preferable to walk through Tauros waste than this. Hearing that, Link couldn't help but laugh.

"Welcome to the great outdoors!" he said with a grin. "Get used to it, 'cause this ain't the woods around Hateno."

"How are you so used to it, then?" Zelda asked.

The smile left Link's face. "I've spent more of my life outside than in a house. And I like it this way," he answered plainly. While Zelda's irritated expression slackened, her eyes remained narrowed.

"How much longer until we get to the temple?" she then asked Resa. "You said we could reach it by nightfall."

And that is what I said, she answered. We could reach it by nightfall. 'Could' is not a guarantee. As for our progress, we should be reaching the Deku Kingdom border soon. If we can see it, then we can follow it east and we'll eventually reach the temple.

Zelda frowned in displeasure. "How you know if we've reached the border?" At that moment, Link noticed something. He held out his arm to stop her, and she bumped into him. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"I think I found your border." He pointed off into the distance ahead of them."See those trees?" He was focused on a larger duo that were particularly close together. "They're marked with green and orange. Those are the colors of the Deku, right?"

He watched as Zelda squinted. It took her a minute to spot what Link was talking about. "I believe so..."

They are, Resa confirmed. Wisdom, please take out the compass.

Link stopped her. "No need for that." He turned his gaze skywards, taking note of the moon's position. "The moon has passed its high point, so now it's headin' west. That means we go in the opposite direction."

All right. Let us make our way east, but we should keep the border in our sights so we don't stray, Resa said. Link's eyebrows rose. Resa had actually stolen the words right out of his mouth, albeit they were worded more eloquently.

Zelda hesitated. "Wait a moment. If that really is the border, then shouldn't there be watchtowers? Or at least some sort of border patrol?"

"The Deku could be in the treetops for all we know. They're pretty good at blendin' in with nature." Link said. He opened his mind to Aura, focusing in on the trees. He thought he could detect something, and his thoughts were confirmed by Luce. "There's somethin' there," he said. If it were Deku, then they had picked bad spots to watch from. Hiding in marked trees was akin to being out in the open.

That doesn't necessarily change things, but I suppose it's even more of a reason to not go any closer, Resa said. We've wasted enough time. Wisdom, Courage, we're going. She headed off into the fog without another word, Link and Luce following right behind her while Zelda and Fira struggled to keep pace.

They continued further into the swamp, the moon steadily setting behind them. Link and Luce continued to keep their senses heightened at Resa's request so nothing would take them by surprise. Link didn't argue, as he would have done the same.

After more time of sloshing through the water and shoving aside reeds, Zelda broke the relative silence. "Okay, I really hate to ask this, but how much longer until we reach the temple? It's surely been hours." She looked down at her feet. "And my boots are absolutely soaked," she mumbled quietly.

I'm sure we don't have much farther to go, Resa said. Is there anything we should be concerned about, Courage?

"I... don't think so," Link answered, unsure. He'd just picked up on a quite powerful aura somewhere off to their right, closer to the border. "There's somethin', but it could just be a big Pokémon. They give off more energy, so it's a stronger aura." He glanced at Luce for confirmation about the accuracy of what he said, and she nodded in agreement.

"I-I don't like that. Let's just keep going," Zelda said, trepidation cracking her voice. Why was she scared? Just because a Pokémon happened to be near the border didn't mean it wasn't wild.

Then the aura moved—closer to them. Link merely thought it was naturally shifting. Still, the aura continued to approach, slowly and steadily. Luce's aura sensors rose, her fur beginning to bristle. Link instantly knew something was wrong when she did that, and he knew it for himself when a crackle of hostility flickered through the aura. Water sloshed close by; a massive shape obscured by darkness moved about in the trees.

"What is that?" Zelda squeaked. Fira protectively moved in front of her.

Link tensed. "We should go—"A series of dark lines streaked out from the shadow, one heading straight at him. His breath hitched, and he was barely able to move away as it stabbed down into the water where he'd just been standing. Colored blue-green in the moonlight, Link could see that it was a vine.

Let me go, you fiend! Resa's cry reached Link's mind, and he looked up in time to see her almost entirely enwrapped by the vines and being pulled into the darkness from whence they came.

"Overseer!" Zelda cried, the cry escalating into a scream when a vine wrapped around her waist, dragging her forwards. She tore at it with her nails, plant fibers shredding but not releasing. Fira howled angrily and ripped his stick from his tail. Fire ignited on its end in a burst of stark orange before it was plunged into the vine. The smell of burning plants filled the air, and a deep groan issued from the trees.

More vines lashed out at Link, but Luce jumped in front of him, allowing the vines to snag her legs and arms. Link's heart dropped, and he slashed at them with the Master Sword. Zelda's and Fira's cries were deaf in his ears. All that mattered was freeing Luce. Vines were severed, and he almost thought she would get free. But then something seized his other arm, winding up it and pulling him face-first into the water.

Surprising coldness rushed over Link's body as he was forcibly submerged. He struggled, trying to slice at the dark streak ensnaring him. More of the vines snaked around his limbs, forcing the sword from his grip and pinning his arms to his sides, further restricting his movement. He still fought, thrashing and writhing as much as he could. That just made them tighten their grip and hold him underwater.

The remainder of Link's air was quickly wrung out of him, and he choked and gagged as black water and muck began to fill his mouth. But no matter how much he tried, he couldn't get his nose or mouth above water to take a vital breath. His lungs began to burn, and with it came the fear that he was going to drown.

Begrudgingly, he forced himself to go limp. This seemed to satisfy whatever held him, because he was hoisted from the water. Link immediately started retching, spitting up water and most of whatever else he'd taken in. His eyes stung fiercely, and he could barely see. But he could see one last vine reaching out.

It stopped inches from his face. Link wished he could shrink back, as it was way too close for comfort. But then the vine flicked to the side, and in its path trailed a powdery substance. Link realized what it was all too late as the moment he took in another breath, he began to feel lightheaded, and his eyelids grew heavy. Sleep Powder. This was something he couldn't fight, and within moments he gave in to it, his head drooping forwards and his mind sinking into murky darkness.

Link awoke in a familiar-looking place but with a different style. A small room with walls and floors made of wood, its only door an opening that was covered by a thick substance that could only be spider webbing, and an overwhelming sense of dinginess... He groaned. Why did he agree to do this if it just resulted in him ending up in another jail cell?

He sat up, glad to only find minimal aches in his joints. It definitely beat having a near-concussion. In the cell across from him, he could barely make out the still-unconscious form of Zelda, lying on her side and facing away from the door.

Closing his eyes, Link reached out and was relieved when he sensed Luce's presence. She as well as Zelda, Fira, and Resa were somewhere in the immediate vicinity, though Link couldn't see them when he tried to look out through the larger gaps in the webbing.

Link, is Zelda okay?

He tensed. He'd only heard that voice once before, when its speaker looked ready to claw his eyes out.

Tell me now! Is she okay? Fira snapped, his voice somehow more deadly serious.

Looks like it. She's still out cold though, Link answered the Braxien.

Fira sighed with relief. Thank Hylia. I don't know what I would have done otherwise... After that, he regained his usual silence.

"Good chat..." Link muttered under his breath.

He didn't know how long he had been sitting there before Zelda finally stirred. She slowly sat up and looked around, confused. Link heard her curse under her breath. She then noticed him in the cell across from hers. "Link? Are you okay?" she asked.

He raised an eyebrow. "Yeah. Why are you botherin' to ask?"

She rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "Instincts," she sighed.

"Whatever." He leaned his head back against the wall. "Fira was askin' about ya. Sounded 'bout ready to go on a rampage when he did."

"Well, that's his duty. Even when I've told him he doesn't have to worry so much, he just says it was what he was raised to do." She paused, then continued more quietly, "And yes, he pretty much was, even though I wanted a friend more than a bodyguard."

His 'duty?' Until now, Link had barely given Zelda's background a second thought. He knew Hateno had some rich families. Was Zelda from one of them? He scoffed inwardly. It made even more sense if she was. Her not having been in the wild a lot, having Fira as a guard, hunting Pokémon for sport, and that gold necklace of hers, it pointed towards a cushy lifestyle.

For a moment, Link wished he hadn't made that agreement with her. If what he thought was correct, there was yet another reason why they would disagree. But he didn't find himself getting as irritated as he thought he would be, and for one reason: what Zelda said about Fira.

"I didn't think you really care about him that much," he said.

Zelda looked shocked. "Of course I do! I got both of us into all this, so I need to look out for him as much as he does for me." Link didn't know how to feel about that. She sounded... sincere. "I care about him as much as you do Luce," she continued. "I just express it differently, you know, like you could expect other people to." Her tone had bite here, though it wasn't enough to be overtly rude or mocking.

Link frowned. It wasn't his fault that he hadn't seen many other people having such strong bonds with their Pokémon. "Yeah, makes sense..." he muttered. A Pokémon swearing their life to a person was a big thing, and yet Zelda didn't appear to be taking advantage of that loyalty. Link had to respect that.

That was not particularly pleasant... Resa groaned. I never knew Sleep Powder could affect something like me. It's like it reached my very spirit.

"Are you okay, Overseer?" Zelda asked, concerned.

Somewhat. My blade was nicked when that brutish Tangrowth slammed me against a tree branch, but I am fine.

If Resa wasn't feeling okay now, then she certainly wouldn't after this. "Resa, I lost the Master Sword," Link admitted.

You what?

"I was gettin' the life strangled outta me by that Tangrowth, so the sword wasn't the most important thing to me right then!" Link returned her vitriol in a hiss.

Yes, yes, that makes sense... Link could tell that she was fuming, but she was somehow able to keep it under control. Stop it. You need to learn what is more important here... She muttered this last part under her breath, and Link couldn't tell who it was meant for. Well, that may be the most fortunate thing to have happened. It's one less way for the Deku to identify us, she then said more loudly. Thank Hylia you can sense auras, because without that, finding the sword would be near-impossible.

"If it's even out there," Link scoffed.

"It could be," Zelda tried to reassure. "Let's just hope that it's out there and that we'll find it."

I suppose we'll have to... Resa sighed.

Time passed, and Link began to grow bored. He was almost relieved when something new occurred. Unknown auras flickered on the edges of his senses, at least three from what he could detect. They soon grew close enough that Link could sense that there were eight of them. None of them were particularly strong auras, but there were enough of them to put him on edge.

"There's a group heading our way," he said. He might as well let Zelda and Resa know.

Her eyes widened. "Are they Deku?" she asked.

Link shrugged. "I can't tell that with auras. The energy isn't too powerful, but there's eight of them, so take that as ya will."

Then at the end of the hall on Link's right, the creaking of a door sounded. Accompanying the rush of auras were odd sounds, almost like squeaking but mixed with chirping. Link vaguely recognized it as the language of the Deku.

They likely will question us about what we were doing, Resa said. I advise we be vague about our intentions. We should say we were looking for the Temple of Farore, as it's also close to the border.

"Why should we lie? Maybe we could convince them to help us," Zelda said. "If we explain who we are and what we're trying to do, they might take it into consideration. A protected kingdom wouldn't want to see their protector fall."

Link rolled his eyes. "You get that from one of your myth books?" he scoffed.

"Well, yes, since the previous Holders never had much trouble recruiting help whenever their disputes grew continent-wide," she admitted. "And if we do that, we might not have to hurt them."

I appreciate your optimism, but if word of you two has spread to here, then you affirming it would seal our fates, Resa said.

"Then wouldn't they have handed us over to Hyrule Border Guard instead of bringing us here if they know?" Zelda asked.

"She's not saying to take any risks either way!" Link hissed.

By then, a group of three Deku came into view. They resembled plants, with wooden bodies, leaves covering their heads and slightly draping down over their wide, pupiless yellow eyes, and spout-like mouths. With them were five Tangela, which stood at the Deku's height. Both the Deku and the Tangela had stripes of red marking their leaves or vines, giving Link the impression it was supposed to be for some type of rank recognition or something similar.

"The captain of the Deku Border Guard wants to speak to all of you," one of the Deku squeaked to the Hylians. "The northeast border Tangrowth said you especially had given her trouble," her words were directed at Link, "so you had better come quietly, or else."

"Or else what?" Link sneered, ignoring Zelda's rebuking scowl from his peripheries and Resa's warning to stand down. He couldn't care less about the treaty. These things were barely even half his height, he could send one flying without even trying!

The main guard squinted. "We could hand you over to the Hyrule Border Guard right now. Our captain is kind enough to hear you all out, so I advise you accept his kindness." That shut Link up, which satisfied the guards.

One of the Tangela stepped forwards, slashing away the webbing with a burning vine. It moved inside, forcing Link to back against the wall. The lead guard then ordered Link to hold his arms out in front of him with his wrists put together. He did so reluctantly, already knowing what they were doing. The Tangela then extended a vine which proceeded to wrap tightly around his wrists.

Link was brought out into the hall, where a now-bound Zelda joined him a moment later. Luce, Fira, and Resa were brought out last, and Link's blood instantly began to boil when he saw that the Tangela had Luce muzzled as well as bound.

Zelda saw Link's expression, and she put a stop to what he was going to say next with a sharp nudge to the arm. "I know how you feel, but don't say anything," she whispered sternly. "Just... leave the talking to me and Resa. Please, Link."

Link scowled and almost protested, but he ultimately kept his mouth shut. As much as he didn't want to acknowledge it, they were at a disadvantage. And he might as well let her carry out her little fairytale expectations, see where they got her. "Fine. Talk away."

No, neither of you will speak, Resa said. I didn't anticipate something like this happening, and due to my oversight, it's my consequence to bear. If either of you are addressed, you must agree with whatever I say.

Link just huffed, resigned to his role of silence, but Zelda looked as if she wanted to refuse. She then gritted her teeth and gave in, agreeing quietly.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro