21 - Head Over Heels

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The rest of our date is a blur.

Throughout the tour of the centuries-old French Quarters, past brightly-painted buildings and cobblestone streets, entertained by stories of heartbroken Southern debutantes, sugarcane slave rebellions, black magic priestesses, and unrequited love, all I can think about is our first kiss and how I hope and pray it's not the last. With our fingers tangled together, Sully and I sneak peeks at one another, our eyes locking briefly before darting away.

It's absolute bliss.

When he walks me to the door at the end of the night, he kisses me again—and somehow it's sweeter, slower and more meaningful than the last. I want to tell him how I feel, how spending time with him makes my heart dance, but the words catch in my throat.

Sully grins down at me. "I'll call you tomorrow, okay?" he says before stepping down the stairs.

I watch as he slides into the driver's seat, waving once before pulling away, and only turn around after he's parked in his driveway.

I'm about to open the front door, the taste of Sully still on my lips, when Hartley's voice catches my attention. It's strained. I stop and listen, pressing my ear to the mesh screen.

"I'm fine! I've already told you that a million and one times," she yells at someone I can't see. "I don't want to talk about it anymore."

"Hartley—" It's her mom. "I'm worried about you. And no matter what you think, I have every right to ask. You're my daughter."

"But you always ask and I always tell you the same thing. You sound like a broken record!"

"I thought this would help." Penny's words are tense, as if she's fighting back emotion. "I thought having her here would make things easier for you. Your doctor says—"

"I don't care what my stupid doctor says!" Hartley interrupts. "Things are easier for me. Everything's good, I wish you'd just accept that. Please stop making mountains out of mole hills."

It's Jolie's turn next. "We're just trying to understand. We love you very much and want to make sure you're okay. You can't fault us for that."

Hartley releases a drawn out sigh of resignation. After a long pause, her voice is softer than before. "I don't fault you for that. I just wish you'd believe me."

"Oh, honey." Her mom sniffle. "We're trying. But you need to meet us halfway. There is nothing in this world more important to me than you. You're my entire life."

"Everything is under control. I promise."

The blanket of night swallows me as I debate my next move. I've never heard Penny sound this desperate before. Not even after her husband passed away. Something buzzes near my ear. I swat at a mosquito then slowly push open the door. The hinges creak out a warning.

Three faces turn toward me, eyes wide with surprise. "I'm sorry. Am I interrupting?" My voice is quieter than usual.

"Gwen!" The back of Hartley's hand swipes across her cheek, and three giant steps later, she's engulfing me in a hug. "How was your date? I want to hear everything!"

From the confines of her squeeze, I glance over Hartley's shoulder just in time to catch Penny and Jolie exchange a look. My best friend steps back, her face beaming. "Well? How'd it go?"

My gaze drops to the floor as anxiety churns in my stomach. "It was good."

"I'm glad you had fun." Penny walks over and drops a kiss on the top of my head. "Sully's a nice boy. I've always liked him."

Our eyes meet and I smile. "I like him, too."

Penny smiles back but it feels more sad than happy. "I'm going to bed. I'll leave you girls be." She hugs me and turns to Hartley. "We'll continue this conversation later," she says, pulling her daughter in for an embrace.

When Penny and Jolie disappear into their bedroom, Hartley's shoulders finally relax. She rolls her eyes. "I didn't think they'd ever leave." She drags me to the couch and plops onto a plump cushion. "Tell me all about your date. And don't you dare leave anything out!"

I sit down next to her and glance at the closed bedroom door. "What was that all about?"

She tucks her legs up under her. "What?"

I lean closer so they don't hear. "I heard you guys fighting."

"Oh, that." Hartley waves her hand, dismissing their conversation. "It was nothing."

"It didn't sound like nothing."

I've seen this look before and know her patience is wearing thin. She exhales loudly. "It was nothing. Just my mom overreacting."

"Did she find out about what happened to Nick's car?"

Her eyes shoot open wide. "No! Would you lower your voice?"

I swallow hard, afraid to ask my next question. "Does she not want me here?"

"It's nothing like that, I swear." Her gaze moves to her mom's bedroom and then back to me. "She gets really weird on the days I go to my doctor. I think it stirs up bad feelings from when my dad died. If anyone needs therapy, it's her. Can we just forget about this? I want to know what happened on your date. Did Sully—" She stops abruptly and stares. "Wait a minute. What happened to your face?" She cups my chin in her hand and slowly turns me to the side.

I know exactly what she's talking about but decide to play dumb. "What do you mean?"

Hartley inspects me closely, switching the angle of my profile. "Don't give me that bullshit. You know exactly what I mean."

I bite back a grin.

"Gwen?" she says. "Where did you get cheekbones? They were not there this afternoon!"

A giggle escapes my lips. "Do you like it? I'm wearing makeup."

Her jaw drops. "But how? You don't know how to apply makeup!"

"I had some help," I admit, leaning back into the cushion.

Hartley fixes me with a look. "Who?"

"Bastian."

"Bastian?" A slow recognition slides over her face. "You mean, Lady Bijou?"

I nod. "Yep."

"You went to Lady Bijou's without me?"

"I had to, I was desperate! Do you like it?" I ask again, turning my face from side to side.

She takes her time inspecting me. "You look amazing. I can't believe he gave you cheekbones."

"He didn't give me cheekbones. They've always been there. I just didn't know how to accentuate them. But now I do," I answer haughtily.

"Well, la dee da. So what? You think you're the shit now?" She flashes a devilish grin.

I flip a lock of hair over my shoulder. "Not 'the shit' exactly. But I do know one thing."

Her eyebrows arch. "What's that?"

"I don't have to go on your crazy Death Dashes anymore. We can sleep in like every other teenager enjoying summer break."

Hartley shoves my shoulder playfully. "What? You're bailing on me now?"

I kick off my Converse and bring my knees to my chest. "The only reason we've been running is so I could lose my chipmunk cheeks. But now that I know how to contour, I don't need to kill myself anymore. Bastian says I'm perfect just the way I am."

"But you don't listen when I tell you that?" She laughs. "I suppose you're right. Congratulations, Gwen. You just conquered one of your summer goals! Now we focus on the next."

I try not to smile. "You mean, my first kiss?"

"Yes, your first kiss!" she exclaims, bouncing up onto her knees.

I purse my lips and stare off into the distance, pretending to wrack my brain. When I turn back to her, the corner of my mouth tilts up. "Mission accomplished."

Her jaw drops for a second time. "Are you shittin' me? Sully kissed you?"

"Twice."

"Oh my God." I think she might be in shock. "Did he use his tongue?"

"Duh!" I let out a huff. "Of course he used his tongue."

"And did you ... you know. Want to throw up? Because I know you, Gwen, and you do not have a strong stomach."

"No, I didn't throw up!" I dissolve into a fit of giggles and can't talk again until I've calmed down. "I really liked it."

"I don't believe this." Hartley shakes her head. "You knocked out both of your summer goals in the same day. You're like a freakin' superhero goddess or something."

I'm physically unable to wipe the grin from my face. "And that's not all I did," I tell her.

"What do you mean? Don't tell me you lost your virginity, too!"

Gross. "Get your mind out of the gutter."

"Then, what?"

"I found you a job."

Hartley lunges toward me, her hands grasping my shoulders. "You what?"

I let out a laugh. "I said, I found you a job."

"Oh my God! Where? Doing what?"

"Calm down, you freak!" I push her away. "Bastian said he'll cover the bill for the windshield and then you can work it off."

"Holy shit! I don't believe this." She throws herself against the cushions and stretches her skinny legs over mine. "I get to work at Lady Bijou's. This is the most fantastic day of my life!"

"He wants you to call him. And the sooner the better. I do not want your mom to find out about what happened and send me home."

"Gwen ..." Hartley sits upright, her expression unusually solemn. "I can't thank you enough for this."

I shrug, unnerved by her sudden change in demeanor. "No big deal."

"Yes, it is." She leans closer and fixes her eyes on mine. "You went out of your way to help me."

I break away from her gaze. "You'd have done the same thing for me."

Hartley looks down and her lower lip quivers slightly. If I blinked, I would have missed it. "I love you," she finally says. I can't see her expression but I can feel it. "And the last thing I ever want to do is hurt you. You know that, right?"

The air around us thickens. I hesitate before responding. "How would you hurt me?"

Silence stretches between us, and when she finally looks up, her brows are furrowed. "I never want to."

There's that feeling again. Like there's more going on beneath the surface, far beyond where I'm able to see. I can't put my finger on it, but it's there. Waiting. Watching. "Is everything alright?"

Hartley gives me a strange smile. "Everything's fine."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro