22 - Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Even though I don't see him, Sully calls the next day and the day after that and we talk for about half an hour both times. He invites me to go out again Friday night—this time with Hartley and Nick, though I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, a double date sounds like fun. On the other hand, I'm not ready to share Sully with anyone just yet, including my best friend.

But getting to sleep in for the first time since arriving in New Orleans is a luxury. Running every morning in the god-awful humidity was no fun at all. Hartley took the news of me giving up our morning "death dash" much better than I'd anticipated. She didn't even complain. I manage to stay snuggled under the covers in the icy cold air conditioning until almost noon. When I finally roll out of bed, she has lunch waiting for me.

"Good afternoon, sleepy head." She smiles and hands over a plate. There's a wrapped tortilla on it, covered in chunky green sauce.

I wrinkle my nose. "What is this?"

"It's a bean burrito with avocado cream and peppers."

I exhale loudly.

"I'm so sorry we make you eat healthy here," she says.

"Are you having some too, or is this how you're planning to kill me?" I plop into a seat at the kitchen table, too hungry to complain.

"Very funny. I already ate with Mom and Jolie, who by the way, went grocery shopping." Hartley sinks into the chair across from me and props her elbows on the table. She plants her fists underneath her chin. "When you're done, I thought we could stop by Lady Bijou's. I called to make sure she'd be there and she is. Is it weird that I can't wait to start working?"

I shake my head and poke my fork into the swollen burrito. Steam rises from the center as I slide my mouth over the bite. "Of all of the jobs you could have ended up with, working with her sounds like the most fun," I say between chews.

Hartley gets this faraway dreamy look on her face and I know exactly what she's going to say. "Do you think she'll let us perform again?"

My stomach dips at the thought. I force down what's in my mouth. "God, I hope not. Once was enough."

"Oh, stop. You had fun and you know it." And I did have fun, but I just woke up and am not in the mood for an I told you so already.

A sudden thought occurs to me and I can barely contain my excitement. "When I was in the French Quarters with Sully, we went inside this little shop called Madame LaRue's House of Magic. The lady who works there said she'd read my cards. Do you mind if we stop by?"

"I know that place." Hartley shrugs one shoulder. "Sure why not. Having your tarot cards read is one of the things you have to do while you're here. It's on our to-do list."

I'm taken aback. "It is?"

Hartley throws me a mischievous grin. "It's been awhile since I've had my future predicted. I'm ready to find out what's in store for me. And I can't wait to find out what's in store for you!"

I take another bite and try to calm my accelerating heart. "Do you think it's real? The tarot cards, I mean? She did seem to know things."

"The old lady with cataracts?"

I nod.

"I think so," she says slowly. "She knew my dad died."

My eyes widen. "She did?"

"Yep. She 'saw' it in her cards." She uses air quotes.

Goosebumps work their way up my arms. "It's sort of creepy, don't you think?"

"You're not changing your mind, are you?"

"Absolutely not." I have too many questions. Namely, what's going to happen with my parents? If there's any way that lady can help me get through this nightmare—even if it's just by offering a different perspective—I'm ready to take it.

I just hope I can handle what she says.

"Darlings, you both look marvelous! Come in, come in." Lady Bijou kisses both of our cheeks as she ushers us through the back door. Two other drag queens are backstage applying makeup. They nod politely in our direction. "Gwen, your cheeks look amazing. I'm thrilled to see our little makeup lesson stuck."

My eyes shift down before returning to hers. "I used the samples you gave me. Thanks again for helping me."

She smiles, all sparkly white teeth and red lips. "But of course, darling. What are friends for?"

Bastian is wearing an ankle-length red dress, his blonde wig tumbling around his shoulders. All traces of the man I confided in only two days before have been completely wiped away. For some crazy reason, I feel shy. It surprises me because I felt more than comfortable with him the other night. I guess his stage persona takes some extra getting used to.

Lady Bijou watches me closely. Trying to dissect my expression, I think. "And how did your date with Mr. Sullivan Reed go? Dreamy, I hope?"

I nod, a prickly warmth rushing over my cheeks.

"That's good to hear." She turns to Hartley. "Why don't you two follow me into my office? I think we'll be more comfortable there."

We trail behind her down a long hallway, her black stilettos click-clacking against the hardwood floor. When we turn into a small room, she flips a switch. Several sconces along the walls come to life, emitting a golden glow. "Let's have a seat, shall we?"

Hartley and I sink into armchairs while Lady Bijou sits across from us, hands folded in front of her atop an enormous mahogany desk. There are black and white framed pictures on the walls, all glamorous women from another era. I recognize Marilyn Monroe, but the others I'm not familiar with.

Lady Bijou notices me staring. "Stunning, aren't they? I prefer to surround myself with beauty. But then, everyone's beautiful in their own special way." She gives me a knowing wink. "So, what brings you lovely ladies here today?"

"I, um, we—" Hartley shoots a narrowed glance in my direction and squirms. "Gwen said you were going to give us jobs. So that I could, uh, pay off my ... debt."

I've never seen her this uncomfortable before. It makes for a refreshing change.

Lady Bijou arches perfectly shaped eyebrows. "Well, now. That's not entirely true."

Hartley gives me an all-out scowl now. My eyes dart back and forth between her and the drag queen, wondering if I'd somehow misunderstood.

Lady Bijou laughs. "Gwen and I discussed you working here to pay off your debt. Not her. If I understand the story correctly—and I think I do—Gwen's done nothing wrong. You're the one nearly charged with destruction of property. Isn't that right?"

Hartley's speechless—for possibly the first time in her entire life. I bite back a laugh.

A bright pink color swamps her face. "Yes."

"Well, then." Lady Bijou lifts her chin, her heavily-outlined eyes gazing across the desk. "I don't believe I'll be putting Gwen to work then."

Hartley's thrusts out her lower lip. "But what will she do while I'm here? I can't leave her all alone!"

"Oh, you won't be leaving her alone. You'll be bringing her with you—as my guest." She smiles widely. "I've taken quite a liking to your friend from Ohio, and wouldn't mind getting to know her better myself. Does that sound fair?" Her gaze flips from me and then to Hartley.

Hartley doesn't make a sound, she only nods, her blue eyes extra wide.

"Very well. I'll pay for the windshield and then I'll see you both on Saturday," Lady Bijou says. "And Hartley?"

My best friend visibly swallows.

"If I were you, I wouldn't wear anything nice."

The dam I've been holding back bursts and I can't stop laughing.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro