Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Jack was sitting between Mark and Suzy at the dinner table, quietly eating tiny bites of food. He didn't pay attention to the conversations happening around him, nor did he make any move to join them. His mind was empty, replaced with numbness. He looked at the faces around him, trying to embed them in his memory. Mark caught his eye and flashed a smile. Jack forced one back.

"So. Jack." Mark's mom said, getting his attention. "What do you do? What's your job?"

Jack carefully put his fork down, clearing his throat. "I'm actually Mark's intern at the LAPD."

"Do you do any work outside of your internship? I know it doesn't exactly pay well." The table fell silent at this question.

"Well, I... deal with computers and security for my father's business when I'm not interning."

"Sounds interesting."

"Not really. It's a really important job, though, and it pays well."

"That's a very good way to stay close with family, as well."

"It is. We are. My father and I, I mean."

"Have you met his father, Mark?"

Mark nodded. "I have. He's a very kind man."

Danny let out a snort. "That's hard to believe. The last time I saw him, he was threatening someone's like. Then again, that was three years ago."

"What do you do, Danny?" Mark's mom asked him.

"Oh, Arin and I do international work for the same company Jack works for. Our last job was in Europe, and that's where we've been the past three years."

"Oh, wow, that's a long time."

Arin shook his head. "It didn't exactly feel like that. When we weren't doing our jobs, we were touring with our band."

"That sounds wonderful. Did you have a good time?"

"Oh, it was amazing. I hope we can do it again sometime."

The table was mostly filled with light conversation for the rest of the meal. Suzy helped Mark's mom clean up, then everyone went to the rooms they were staying in. Mark led Jack downstairs to the basement, where Mark's old room had been. Jack looked around at the bland room, with white walls and white bedsheets.

"Not much of a room." Jack commented, smiling slightly.

Mark chuckled. "Yeah. My mom repainted it and changed the sheets when I moved out."

Jack walked over to the bed and sat down on it. "So. This is where you grew up."

Mark nodded, sitting next to him. "Yeah. How does being here make you feel?"

Jack looked at him. "...loved."

Mark cupped his face in his hands. "That's because you are." He kissed him for a long moment. Mark slowly pulled away, a smile on his lips. "Thank you for being here with me."

"Of course. Anything for you." Jack let out a yawn. "And now, bedtime. C'mon, let's get changed."

They changed into pajamas, then laid down next to each other in bed. Jack yawned again, closing his eyes.

Mark lightly kissed his hair. "You're safe here. With me. I'll do whatever it takes to protect you."

"I know." Jack whispered. "Thank you."

"There's no need to thank me. It's what any decent fiancé should do."

Jack looked in Mark's eyes for a moment before kissing him, slowly and lightly. "I love you."

Mark smiled. "I love you, too."

They both fell asleep.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro