Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Mark, Arin, Suzy, and Danny eventually made their way back to the hotel, defeated. They decided to go to bed early in an attempt to lessen their jetlag. Mark couldn't sleep- instead, he tossed and turned in his cold, empty bed, missing Jack's presence more and more.

So he was wide awake as he heard the door to his hotel room open. He shot up in bed, jumping out quickly and grabbing his pistol from the nightstand drawer. He slowly made his way from the bedroom area, aiming his pistol at the intruder.

Jack reached up and grabbed the pistol from his hands. "Nice try, detective." He threw the pistol away.

Mark stared. "Jack? How the hell did you get in here?"

Jack growled. "How many fucking times do I have to tell you to stop calling me that." He turned on the main light, and Mark took in his dark eyes- the man in front of him was Anti, not Jack.

Mark narrowed his eyes. "What do you want? What are you doing here?"

Anti rolled his eyes, sitting in one of the armchairs nearby. "Calm down. Your precious Jack is fine. He's asleep in his own mind. I sometimes like to take over when he falls asleep. It's fun, and he never knows." He winked at Mark.

Mark crossed his arms. "Answer my questions."

Anti sighed, standing up. "Fine. Let's start at the beginning." He pushed Mark down to sit in the armchair. "Stay." He stood in front of Mark, tapping his foot against the carpet. "I'm about to say something surprising. I don't resent you. I don't hate you. I really have nothing against you."

Mark stared at him, confused. "Then... why are you pushing Jack away from me?"

"Because you're like him."

"...shouldn't that make us more compatible?"

"That's not what I mean." Anti looked at him seriously. "You really haven't noticed?"

"Noticed what?"

Anti sat in the chair next to him. "Jack created me in his mind during one of the roughest parts of his life. He lost you, the love of his life. Ryan began abusing him. Pressure kept building on him as the months passed. He was supposed to be the Don of the mafia, a job he didn't want at all."

"And... how does this tie to me?"

"Think about it. You lost your father shortly after high school. You lost your girlfriend, someone you truly loved. You gained and lost another lover in less than a month. Hell, you work in a police department and witness death, misery, and everything you could ever imagine."

Mark stared. "Are you saying... I have another personality?"

Anti clapped his hands. "Ding ding ding! Give the man a prize!"

Mark stood up quickly. "No, I can't. I've never even noticed."

"Oh, I have." Anti smirked. "When you're faced with the prospect of death or crime, your eyes change. Like how Jack's does when I begin to take control. You have another part of yourself, you've just never noticed."

"And that's the whole reason why you're pushing Jack away from me?"

"I'm already dangerous enough for Jack. I push him closer and closer to madness with each passing day. If you were with him, now, while you don't even know what's going on in your mind..." Anti took a deep breath. "You might not believe me, but I do care about Jack. Maybe in my own, twisted way, but I do. I can't let him have any more stressors around him than he already does. It'll drive him crazy."

Mark took a deep breath. "Fine. Okay. I... I'll stay away from him."

Anti froze. "Shit. Jack's waking up." He was silent, his eyes wide. "Jack, calm down. This isn't Mark."

Mark raised an eyebrow. "What? It is me-"

Anti quickly tackled Mark, pushing him to the ground. He stood, pressing his foot against Mark's throat. He glared down at Mark. "Bring him out."

Suddenly, Mark felt different. He knew he was in his body, but he couldn't control himself. His sight was unblinking, and he couldn't look around.

"Shit." Mark thought.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro