Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

As Javier sat on the park bench waiting he felt like a kid on Christmas morning.  He twisted his phone in his hands and his left foot bounced up and down in a nervous excited way.

When Jessica had agreed to meet up with him he had been so over the moon with happiness it took everything not to scream into the phone in excitement.

The weather hadn't cleared up much so the picnic he had originally hoped for would now be lunch in one of her favorite restaurants after the day he planned for her.  First they were going to have breakfast.

His face lit up when he saw her walking towards him.  Her hands were buried in her sweater pockets as she came and stood in front of him.

"Hi. " she said

All he could think was how much he missed her smile.  He could just sit there drinking her all in.

"Are you alright? " she asked when he didn't respond.

"Yeah,  I just can't believe you're here.  I missed you. "

He noticed she only smiled at him but for now that was enough.

"So how have you been?" he asked her as they walked along side each other.

"I've been OK I guess.  Bored now that I'm not at the gallery. "

"You miss it there? " he asked

"How could I not.  How are things there? "

"Um... I don't know. " he said

"What do you mean?"

He avoided her eyes as he replied.

"I lost the gallery." he told her

It still left a sad taste in his mouth but he knew he couldn't live his life according to a will,  especially if that meant loosing Jessica.  He would tell her that though.  He didn't want her feeling guilty.

"That means you didn't choose... Her." Jessica said quietly as she stopped to look at him.

"How could I?" he replied looking into her eyes.

He saw her gaze waver then she looked away.

"Don't do this because of me." she told him quietly.

"I'm doing this for me too.  I'm alright with this." he told her

"Are you really?" she asked searching his eyes.

"I will be. Let's go have breakfast."

As they sat across from each other in the quiet cafe,  their knees touch causing each of them to hold their breaths before glancing up at each other. Javier couldn't help the smile when he looked up and caught her staring.

"How's the bagel?" he asked

"It's perfect.  It's homemade which makes it even better. And the creme cheese taste different than the ones in the store."

"So good then?" he asked teasingly

He smiled when she blushed and ducked her head.  He used his thumb to wipe away the creme at the corner of her mouth before licking his finger.  When her eyes widened and she blushed he chuckled and went back to his own meal.

Javier basically was planning to plan as they go. He had a few things in mind that they had to do today but the day for him just meant spending time with her.

"What do you feel like doing?" he asked her as they left the café

"I don't know." she replied

"Anything at all. What haven't you done since you've lived in the city that you've always wanted to do?" he asked her.

"Um... Visit the statue of liberty,  visit stores in Manhattan, take pictures with random cartoon characters on the road." she replied looking at him uncertainly.

He held out his hand waiting for her to take it. When she finally did he wrapped his fingers around her's and led her back to where he had parked his car.

"What are we doing?" she asked smiling over at him.

"We're going to be tourists for the day." he replied

Her laughter was like music to his ears as they drove down the busy highway. The excited look on her face was contagious and he found himself feeling relaxed. He had never really allowed himself to enjoy the simple things in life so he was looking forward to the day with her.

From start to finish it was a great trip. The boat ride was Javier's favorite part because it gave him an excuse to put his arms around Jessica to keep her warm. They had managed to get tickets for the crown,  it was an awesome experience. Being up high gave them a liberating feeling. Their tour of The Immigration Centre on Ellis Island  was a truly moving and thought provoking experience which neither of them could ever forget.

"That was amazing! " Jessica exclaimed as they took yet another picture.

"And we're not done yet." Javier told her.

"In case I forget to tell you this later.  I had a really great time today."

When she reached up and brushed a light kiss against his cheek his throat closed over with emotions.

The day was all smiles and laughter,  they ran into m&m chocolate characters and even Silvester and Tweety. They took pictures, had stuffed pretzels for lunch as they roamed the city streets having fun and enjoying each others company. If their was another word for beyond amazing that would be the word for their day.

As evening approached Javier brought Jessica to a Manhattan bookstore where he bought her the second editions of her favorite fairy tales.  He saw her eyeing a shelf with Harlequin books so he threw a couple of those in the basket too all the while ignoring her protest.

A wine shop was their last stop where he got an exclusive bottle that would be the perfect touch to end their evening.

Javier let Jessica sleep as he drove back to his house.  Her even breathing soothed him as he drove. Pulling into the driveway he lightly tapped her hand and she woke up and looked around. He saw her tense up but he reached over and gave her hand a light squeeze.

He led her around to his backyard and she stood with tears glistening in her eyes when she saw they tent he had set up with a portable heater and a lantern hanging in the middle.  Pillows were scattered around.

"This is perfect." she whispered emotionally

"I'd do anything for you." he told her with so much emotions in his words.

"I'm scared to trust you again." she confessed.

"And it kills me that it's all my fault. I'm so sorry baby,  my whole being aches just knowing I've hurt you. I will never ever intentionally hurt you ever again ever.  I will put you first in all that I do,  everywhere I go I will carry you even in my spirit. I'm so much better with you in my life. You've shown me that I don't have to be scared to love myself.  Loving myself was the only way I could truly love you. Please, I'm begging you, start over with me,  I'm totally and completely yours." he told her tears now forming in his own eyes.

"I want to try. One day at a time." she told him.

"That's all I'm asking for." he said as he took her hand and lead her to the tenth where they spent the night reading until he drove her home.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro