8 - A hint of the Destiny

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Chloe knew she should be consequent. So, on Monday afternoon when she felt an irresistible urge to go to the same park, where she had had such a horrible meeting with Jerome a week earlier, she followed that impulse, even though she didn't understand it too much. Perhaps it was a hint of her subconscious. Or maybe... maybe... maybe it was a hint of the Destiny? That was what she thought seeing Jerome sitting on the same bench in the park.

"How did you know it was a letter from my mother?" She asked him frankly, as always. Without any greeting and courtesy small talk.

"She handed it to me." He answered the same way – directly and bluntly.

Chloe seemed to become speechless for the first time in her life. She stared at him stunned, unable to put together a single sentence.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I didn't mean to be so abrupt."

Chloe was still silent. Suddenly, she felt tears in her eyes and she felt panic as well. She didn't want to go to pieces in front of the just-a-messenger...

"Hey, don't cry..." he jumped up from the bench and pulled her closer embracing her tightly.

She should break away and leave standing tall. Instead, she cuddled up to him, and she couldn't stop a sob from her chest. She felt he was stroking her hair. She didn't object. It was so... soothing. Just as listening to his heartbeat.

"She needed to know how you would react to this letter. I was supposed to wait." He replied slowly, and the words melted in her head. They were as soothing as his stroking and his heartbeat. Like a message from her mom. "She was very touched when I told her that you'd left to read her letter in private."

"Wait! Do you want to tell me that you... know my mother?!" she was so surprised that she calmed down immediately.

She looked at him, not even paying attention to the fact that he was still holding her in his arms. Tears slowly dried on her cheeks. One thing was to give a letter to a messenger but sharing own emotions with him was something completely different! Who was her mom for Jerome?

"Uhm... Yes. I know her." He stuttered. "She works for my... uhm... my dad."

"She's here? In Paris?!" she asked emotionally. "Why didn't she call me? Why she's hiding from me?"

"You know, Chloe..." he smiled a little bit embarrassed. "I'm not sure for one hundred percent, but maybe she's ashamed she left you? Or maybe she's afraid that you'll reject her when you meet."

"She rejected me first!" Chloe exclaimed. She couldn't understand why he kept her mother's side.

"No, Chloe. She's probably never stopped regretting that she left and abandoned you."

"How do you know this?" She whispered, surprised.

"I guess only. I can read between the lines. I told you last time that I can observe people. And feel their emotions."

"But you're not Hawkmoth?" She remembered, winking to him.

"I told you once that I wasn't." He laughed.

"And what happened next? You know... When you told my mother that I left."

"I was sorry that I couldn't tell her anything more. But that was enough for her. And then..." he hesitated.

"What was next?" she spotted immediately.

He smiled embarrassed.

"Then she asked me to go to your party."

"So, she hired you to check me?"

"Not quite." He grinned. "I was supposed to be out of the way. Unnoticed. Just to watch you for her. But it didn't work out."

"Yeah, you messed it up." She smiled back.

"I really had to come to you. You see, Chloe. I felt sorry for you. Everyone was having fun at your party, only you were lonely there."

"I don't even like them." She confessed. "I invited them because Adrien had made me."

"But if they started to like you, you probably wouldn't mind?"

"I don't know..." she shrugged. "Maybe?"

"You know, Chloe?" he began, and she smiled do herself.

How many times he had started talking with those words "You know, Chloe..." just to tell her something important, a secret or something very, very personal...

"Yeah, I know." She murmured.

"You don't even know what I wanted to say!" he was surprised.

"I think I know. You wanted to say that I'm cool." She winked at him.

"Not quite, but it doesn't mean you're not cool!" He laughed. "I wanted to say that I was happy that your mother asked me to deliver you the letter."

"You know what? I am also happy that it was you." She replied, feeling that these words are coming from the bottom of her soul.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro