9 - Mom

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Chloe never felt so nervous, like on Friday afternoon. Today she was to meet her mother. She didn't fully understand Jerome's participation in the whole story, but she felt, he had helped in arranging the meeting. It still seemed strange to her that mother chose a messenger to find a way back to her. Chloe had tried to ask Jerome for details several times, but he never answered.

She left the explanation of this riddle for later. Now she had to face her own demons. Because in a moment she was supposed to meet her mother. After years. And in secret from daddy. That was the condition imposed by her mother.

"I'm not sure if it's a good idea..." she muttered to Jerome, wiping her sweaty palms in her blouse.

"You know that your mother said the exact same thing minutes ago?" he smiled. "Let's go. It will be fine."

"How do you know that?" she asked in whisper.

"I have a good feeling. Just smile, it's not a dentist visit." He whispered and touched her cheek.

Chloe lost her sense of time and reality for a moment. She gazed on his dark blue eyes and actually... Actually... Actually, she wouldn't mind if he...

"Come on... I'll lead you there." he smiled and took her hand.

She followed him stunned. What had happened a moment ago? And why did she like it so much? She even forgot her nervousness. Only when he opened the door for her and she saw her mother, the fear of the meeting returned.

Mom was standing by the window. She was wearing an elegant costume – very classic: a black envelope skirt, a white blouse, a fitted jacket. Pure perfection. Her hair was tied up in a bun. Eyes fixed on Chloe – full of tension and expectation.

Chloe felt that Jerome was letting her hand go. As if he wanted to leave her alone with her mother. Instinctively, she squeezed his hand tighter and looked at him pleadingly to stay. He smiled warmly at her and held her hand for a moment.

"It will be fine, remember?" He whispered and winked to her.

Then he left.

Chloe stayed at the door, unable to take a step toward her mother who also stayed by the window completely motionless. They stared at each other and... were silent.

"You're even prettier than in the pictures..." mom finally whispered.

How quiet had to be in this room if Chloe could hear these words, standing so far away from her?

"You've seen my photos?" she finally stuttered.

"You are, after all, the most important teenager in Paris." Audrey explained mildly. "You've appeared on television very often."

"Have you been here in the city all this time?" Chloe asked coldly, feeling a growing rage.

She had had her mother at her fingertips for all these years? Mother, who did nothing to meet her daughter?! It was her fault that Chloe had grown up to be a person who didn't know how to love! Or how to trust anyone!

Mom just nodded.

"Have you ever wanted to meet me at least once?" Chloe drawled, feeling that typhoon of rage would soon find an escape.

"I couldn't..." she stuttered, and a tear ran down her cheek.

"You were ashamed!" Chloe said without mercy.

"Yes... But that's not..." Audrey hesitated and shook her head.

"What then?!" Her daughter demanded more and more aggressively.

"I wasn't allowed!" mom shouted in despair.

"What?" all anger escaped from Chloe straight away. It wasn't the first time since her birthday party when her bad emotions disappeared in a second.

"That was the price for the freedom." mom whispered and burst into tears.

Chloe stood undecided at the door. Something in her heart woke up and started pushing her to go to her mother, just to hug her. And that Something drowned out the remnants of this rage accumulated over the years, so well hidden under the guise of being a "happy daddy's girl", and recently awakened by the unexpected appearance of her mother in her life. And by Jerome.

She took the first step reluctantly, and then the second one. And then it was easy. She ran to her mother and embraced her. And mom hugged her and let Chloe comfort her.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro