29| Have a Drink on Me

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The airport was packed with people moving in every direction, a chaotic symphony of movement and noise. Ray leaned against Sam's black Impala, hands tucked in the pockets of his leather jacket, eyes scanning the crowd for Andrew. He tapped his foot impatiently, lost in thought. His mind kept circling back to the same issue: the band. James. The future. The damn new guitarist.

When Andrew finally emerged, tall and effortless in his own rock-star way, Ray straightened up, offering a quick grin. "Took you long enough."

Andrew rolled his eyes as he tossed his duffel bag into the backseat. "New York traffic, man, so many people arrived today."

"Right," Ray muttered, sliding into the driver's seat.

As they drove through the city streets, the conversation shifted, naturally, to what always consumed Ray these days—Purple Rain. Andrew wasted no time getting to the point, the hum of the engine providing a steady background to his voice.

"So, we're meeting Elena tonight," Andrew said casually, looking out the window as if he was commenting on the weather. "I think you'll like her."

Ray's grip on the steering wheel tightened. "It's not about liking her," he said, his tone edged with frustration. "It's about replacing James. We don't just... throw someone in his spot."

Andrew sighed, shifting in his seat. "Ray, James is in rehab. No one's saying we're kicking him out of the band. But we have to move forward. The label's breathing down our necks, and the tour's coming up. Elena is good she could be what we need to keep things on track."

Ray's jaw clenched. "Loyalty matters, Andrew. James is family. I don't know if I can do this."

Andrew turned to look at him, his voice dropping. "You think I want to replace him? I don't. But we have a responsibility to the band and the fans. And James would want us to keep going, you know that."

Ray's silence filled the car. He knew Andrew was right. Hell, he knew the band couldn't afford to stall any longer. But the thought of bringing someone new into the tight-knit circle that was Purple Rain felt like a betrayal. Especially to James.

"I'll give her a shot," Ray said finally, his voice low. "But don't expect me to be all sunshine and rainbows about it."

Andrew chuckled, the tension breaking slightly. "No one's asking for that. Just keep an open mind."

Ray smirked, though his mind was still heavy with the decision looming ahead. "No promises."

The conversation drifted to lighter topics as they made their way through the city, but Ray's thoughts remained stubbornly fixated on the night ahead. He wasn't sure if he was ready for this. The band was his life, and the idea of any change especially one as significant as a new guitarist chewed at him.

As they pulled into the driveway, Andrew slapped him on the shoulder. "It'll be fine, man. We'll have a couple of drinks tonight, check out Elena, and see where it goes. No pressure."

Ray didn't answer. He climbed out of the car, nodding toward the house. "Come on. Let's grab a bite before we head out."

They stepped inside, the familiar scent of home calming Ray's nerves just a little. But as the night approached, he couldn't shake the nagging feeling that tonight was going to change everything. And not just for the band.

Later that night the bar buzzed with energy, a mixture of low conversation and the thrum of music spilling from the speakers overhead. Neon lights flickered against the wooden walls, casting everyone in hues of pink and blue. Ray, Andrew, Sam, and Molly slid into a large booth near the back, where they had a decent view of the small stage where Elena would soon perform.

Ray leaned back in his seat, one arm draped casually over the back of the booth, but his eyes kept darting toward the stage. He wasn't sure if it was nerves or annoyance, but something was eating at him. The idea of a stranger taking over James's spot still didn't sit right with him.

Sam nudged him with her shoulder, breaking through his thoughts. "You're awfully quiet tonight," she teased, her voice light but her eyes searching. She could always tell when something was bothering him.

Ray smirked, shaking his head. "Just thinking."

"Thinking or brooding?" Sam countered, raising an eyebrow. "There's a difference."

Andrew laughed from across the table, taking a swig of his beer. "Brooding is his natural state, Sam. It's part of his charm."

Ray shot him a mock glare, but even he had to chuckle. Sam smiled, leaning in closer to him, her hand resting on his knee beneath the table. Her presence always had a way of grounding him, pulling him out of his own head.

"Come on, relax a little," she whispered, her breath warm against his ear. "We're here to have a good time."

Ray nodded, squeezing her hand in response, but the tension in his chest didn't ease. He glanced around the bar Molly was chatting with Andrew, who seemed unusually interested in everything she had to say. Ray noticed the way Andrew's eyes lingered on her, the casual way his hand would brush against hers as he spoke.

"Should we be worried about those two?" Ray asked quietly, nodding toward them.

Sam followed his gaze and laughed softly. "Oh, definitely. But in the best way."

Ray shook his head with a grin. "Guess we'll have to keep an eye on them."

Before Sam could respond, a group of fans approached their table, shy smiles on their faces. One of them, a young woman wearing a Purple Rain T-shirt, nervously held out her phone. "Raymond? Andrew? Could we...could we get a picture? We're huge fans."

Ray plastered on a polite smile. He was used to this by now, but it always felt a little surreal. "Sure, no problem."

Andrew slid out of the booth first, wrapping an arm around the fan as Ray followed suit. Sam watched from her seat, a small, amused smile playing on her lips as Raymond posed for a few pictures, signing autographs on napkins.

As the fans walked away, Ray sank back into his seat with a tired sigh. "Never gets old, does it?"

Sam laughed, shaking her head. "You love it. Admit it."

"I like the music," Ray corrected, "the rest of it...not so much."

Andrew smirked, reaching for his beer. "You say that, but you'd miss it if it were gone."

Before Ray could respond, the lights dimmed, and a hush fell over the crowd. The small stage at the front of the bar was suddenly bathed in soft, golden light. Sam's hand found Ray's again under the table, giving it a reassuring squeeze. He took a deep breath, knowing the moment had come.

Andrew leaned forward, excitement flickering in his eyes. "Here we go."

A woman stepped onto the stage, guitar slung over her shoulder. Elena. Ray's eyes narrowed as he studied her, his mind already building a wall of skepticism. She was dressed simply in black jeans and a loose tank top, her long dark hair pulled back in a messy bun. She didn't look like a rock star, not the way James did with his flamboyant, larger-than-life personality. But there was something about her the quiet confidence in her stance that piqued Ray's curiosity despite himself.

"She's good," Andrew murmured, more to himself than anyone else.

Ray didn't respond. He wasn't ready to pass judgment yet. He'd seen too many people come and go, too many promises of talent that never lived up to the hype. But something in the way Andrew was watching her told Ray that maybe this would be different.

Elena strummed her guitar, the first few notes hanging in the air like a promise. The crowd quieted even further, all eyes on her. Ray felt Sam shift beside him, her hand tightening around his. He turned to her, and she smiled softly as if sensing his internal struggle.

"Give her a chance," she whispered, her voice barely audible over the music.

Ray sighed, nodding. "I will."

The moment Elena began playing, the atmosphere in the bar shifted. It wasn't loud or flashy there were no explosive riffs or dramatic flourishes just simple, clean chords that rang out with a quiet intensity. Ray could feel the vibration of the music humming through the soles of his boots, creeping up his legs, and settling somewhere deep in his chest.

Elena's fingers moved across the strings effortlessly, her guitar an extension of her body, as though she wasn't even thinking about it. Her voice was low and sultry, the kind of voice that caught you off guard with its warmth and depth. It wasn't polished or perfect, but it was raw, like she was singing more to herself than to the audience. That vulnerability hooked Ray in immediately, despite his earlier reluctance to even give her a chance.

Next to him, Sam was still, her eyes fixed on the stage, her expression soft with admiration. Ray could feel the change in her without even looking at her directly. She was relaxed, drawn in, and he couldn't blame her.

Elena's song picked up, the tempo rising as she dove into the chorus. The crowd swayed, heads nodding in time with the beat, and Ray found his foot tapping almost involuntarily. He hated to admit it, but there was something magnetic about her. Even the skeptical part of him, the part that had been so fiercely loyal to James, was starting to crack. It wasn't that Elena was better than James she was just different. In a way that maybe the band needed.

"You okay?" Sam's voice was soft in his ear, cutting through his thoughts.

Ray nodded, his eyes still glued to the stage. "She's... good."

Sam chuckled, leaning in closer. "That's all I get? Good?"

Ray shot her a look, his lips curling into a reluctant smile. "Alright, fine. She's more than good."

Andrew, sitting across from them, grinned, clearly enjoying the fact that Ray was finally warming up to the idea. "Told you, man. She's got something."

Ray leaned back, folding his arms across his chest. "Yeah, yeah. Let's see if she can handle more than one song."

Sam laughed, giving his knee a playful squeeze. "Always making them work for it, huh?"

Ray didn't respond, but the corner of his mouth twitched. He couldn't help it. Elena's second song began this time faster, more upbeat. Her fingers flew over the strings, and the crowd was now fully invested, cheering between verses, clapping along. Ray felt himself getting pulled into the energy, despite his usual distaste for change. There was something about her that just fit.

He turned to Andrew, giving him a short nod. "Alright. I'll admit, she's got potential."

Andrew looked smug, downing the rest of his beer. "Knew you come around."

Elena's set came to a close with a haunting final note, the last chord ringing in the air long after her fingers had left the strings. The crowd erupted in applause, and Elena gave a small, almost shy smile before stepping off the stage. She didn't bask in the attention like James used to, didn't make a show of herself. That modesty somehow made her all the more captivating.

As Elena walked toward the bar, Ray stood up, his hand sliding off the back of the booth. "I'm gonna go say hi."

Sam raised her eyebrows, clearly surprised by his sudden enthusiasm, but didn't stop him. "Go easy on her, okay?"

Ray smirked. "What? You think I'm gonna scare her off?"

"Not exactly," Sam said, though there was a teasing glint in her eye. "But maybe don't give her the 'James was irreplaceable' speech just yet."

Ray shook his head, but there was no bite in his words. "I'm not that bad."

Sam smiled, her eyes following him as he made his way through the crowd, which parted slightly to let him pass. She leaned back into the booth, sipping her drink, watching as Ray exchanged a few words with Elena at the bar. The two of them seemed to hit it off easily enough Ray was his usual cool, composed self, but Sam could see the tension starting to fade from his shoulders.

Andrew slid back into the booth next to her, watching the same scene unfold. "Think he's sold on her?"

Sam shrugged, though the satisfied look on her face said it all. "I think she might just be the change he needs."

Back at the bar, Ray extended his hand to Elena. "You were great tonight."

Elena, a little flushed from the performance, shook his hand, her grip firm. "Thanks. It means a lot coming from you."

Ray paused, studying her for a moment before he spoke. "Look, I'm not gonna lie James was... well, he was a big part of the band. But I like what I saw tonight. You've got something different. Maybe something we need."

Elena nodded, her expression unreadable. "I'm not here to replace him. Just to bring what I can."

Ray respected that answer more than he expected to. "We'll be in touch. Andrew will send you the details about the official audition."

Elena smiled, and there was a quiet confidence in her eyes that Ray couldn't ignore. "Looking forward to it."

As Ray made his way back to the booth, he could feel the tension lifting from his chest. It wasn't all gone not yet but it was a start. Sam was right. Maybe it was time for a change, and maybe Elena was the one to bring it.

The night air was cool and crisp as Sam and Ray stepped out of the bar, leaving behind the buzz of the crowd and the lingering echoes of Elena's performance. The streetlights cast a soft glow over the sidewalk, and the distant hum of New York's never-ending nightlife seemed muted, almost peaceful compared to the energy inside.

Ray slipped his arm around Sam's waist, pulling her close as they walked back toward their car. The warmth of his touch seeped through her, grounding her in the quiet after the chaos. Sam leaned into him, her head resting against his shoulder, feeling the tension of the night begin to dissolve.

"That wasn't so bad," Ray muttered, his voice low and rough as they walked.

Sam chuckled softly, glancing up at him. "Not bad? I'd say you actually enjoyed yourself."

Raymond made a noncommittal sound, but there was a hint of a smile tugging at his lips. "Maybe. The music helped." He glanced back toward the bar, where the lights still flickered through the windows. "Elena's good. I hate to admit it, but she might actually be what the band needs."

"She definitely has talent," Sam agreed, rubbing her thumb gently across the back of his hand. "But that's not what I'm talking about."

Ray raised an eyebrow, looking down at her. "What do you mean?"

"You," Sam said, her smile widening. "You were having fun tonight. Dancing, talking to fans, and being social for once. It was nice to see you like that."

Ray rolled his eyes but didn't argue. "I guess I did have a decent time," he admitted, his voice softer now, almost contemplative. "It's been a while since we've had a night like this."

"A long while," Sam echoed, her thoughts drifting back to how much had changed in such a short span of time. "I've missed it. Missed us being normal."

They reached the car, and Ray paused, turning to face her fully. His hands found their way to her hips, pulling her closer, and Sam instinctively looped her arm around his neck. There was something vulnerable in the way he held her, something unspoken in the quiet between them.

"We'll find our normal again," Ray said, his voice low, his forehead pressing gently against hers. "I know things have been very off lately. With everything that's happened. But we'll get there."

Sam closed her eyes, breathing in the familiar scent of him—leather and cologne mixed with a faint hint of smoke from the bar. His words were comforting, but she couldn't shake the gnawing feeling in her chest. "It just feels like everything's changing so fast. With your band, with my family, I'm not sure how to keep up."

Ray's grip on her tightened slightly. "You don't have to keep up with anything. We're figuring one day at a time."

Sam opened her eyes, meeting his gaze, and for a moment, she saw past the cool, calm exterior he always wore. There was a flicker of vulnerability there, too an unspoken fear that he was feeling just as overwhelmed as she was. But Ray never let it show, never let the cracks break. He always held it together, for both of them.

"I know," Sam whispered, her voice catching in her throat. "It's just... I don't want to lose you in all this."

Ray cupped her face in his hands, his thumb brushing lightly over her cheek. "You're not gonna lose me, Love. Not now, not ever."

His words were steady, certain, but the weight of everything the pressure of the band, the looming presence of her family's secrets, the guilt still clinging to her over Scott pressed down on her shoulders, making it harder to breathe. She leaned into him, seeking the safety he always gave her.

"I love you," she murmured, the words slipping out like a quiet confession.

Ray smiled, the edges of his expression softening as he pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I love you too."

They stood like that for a moment, wrapped in each other's warmth, the cool breeze brushing against their skin. For the first time in what felt like weeks, Sam felt a sense of calm settling in her chest. Andrew joined them interrupting the calmness.

"We are going to fancy dinner tomorrow night!" he announced with a wide smile on his face.

"You and 'fancy' don't mix well," Ray joked, unlocking the car.

"I need to keep up with her," Andrew said, earning a laugh from Sam.

"Then fancy dinner it is," Sam said, looking at Andrew.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro