35. The missing Neko-chan

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Do you have any plans for this weekend?"

"This weekend...? Um, kind of, yeah." he replied, smiling apologetically.

"Oh?" she was on the verge of giving up now.

It wasn't Taehyung's fault that he rejected her. He wasn't obliged to say yes to everything she asks for. He certainly had the right to say no and it was completely normal, yet, Natsuki felt like crying.

"I'm sorry," Taehyung still apologized, trying to make her feel better.

So, that was it?

"No, no, it's alright. I was just bored at home, so thought we might hang out somewhere, no worries if you already have plans!" she just laughed it off, turning away to look outside.

"Oh, look! The clouds are clearing up now. I should get going, mom must be worried about me." she briefly spared him a glance and a half smile before muttering a bye and ran off outside.

"H-hey," Taehyung was stunned and tried to call her back but she never turned back.

"It's still raining a little..." his voice faded out in the pitter-patter of the rain but she was already out of his sight.

Meanwhile, Natsuki didn't know why she was running away, that also in the rain like that.

It was the second time and she couldn't take it anymore. Why was this happening with her? She knew that Taehyung wasn't a very expressive person but for him to be this confusing? She had never expected it.

"Fumiya-kun, I'm so going to kill you once I see you- this was your plan?" she mumbled as she approached the familiar streets, passed the little hill as she could now see her house. Her feet gradually slowed down.

Poor Fumiya!

"Mom, I'm home." she yelled and went straight to her room.

"Oh, god! Suki, you made a mess here. Why is there water everywhere?" her mother complained, looking at the wet shoes and damp living room floor.

Natsuki didn't listen to her at all though! So, in the end, her mother just shook her head and began to clean up the mess.

•~•~•

"What do you mean?!" Fumiya exclaimed, slamming his hand on the table.

"I'm not going to do anything now." Natsuki said nonchalantly.

"Again," he rolled his eyes, "what do you mean?"

"I don't think he likes me, Fumiya-kun, there's no way!" she sighed, silently eating the last bits of food left in her plate.

"But, Suki-chan, I don't think he meant it like-"

"What could he have meant then? Getting rejected twice is obvious enough." she shook her head, sighing once again.

Fumiya clicked his tongue, in disbelief, "did you actually confess what you felt about him?" he narrowed his eyes on her.

"Um, well," she had no words.

"See!! If you don't tell him, how would he know?" Fumiya smirked, feeling like he had won a challenge or something.

"Oh, whatever! He still rejected my offer-"

And they kept on bickering until it was time for them to go for their next class.

Days passed painfully slow as Natsuki saw less and less of Taehyung who always seemed to be studying or helping out teachers. What was he? A superman?

She realised how hard it was for her to not just forget about everything and go back to Taehyung and talk about random things like she always did without hesitation. She couldn't do it in the end. Not now.

She was embarrassed, of course! She might look all jolly and fun but she had a sensitive side to her as well.

The weekend rolled around just like that. She found herself sprawled out on her bed, sighing, as she stared at the boring ceiling.

Then suddenly, there was an incoming call on her mobile phone and she flinched, sitting up in a flash!

"Hello, Suki-chan?" the voice called out as soon as she put the phone around her ear.

"Fumiya-kun, why did you call?" she plopped down on the bed again, swinging her legs by the side of the bed.

"Are you free?"

"Right now?"

"Yes,"

"I am. Why do you ask?" she sat up again, now interested in what Fumiya had to say.

"I was wondering if you could help me search for Neko-chan-"

"What?! Neko-chan is missing?!" at this point, she stood up, worried for Fumiya's pet cat.

"Um, kind of...? Leave all of that, just help me. I think she went towards the park but she also likes the hills so I'm gonna go look for her at the shrine. Can you go to the park?" he said in a hurry.

"Oh, okay. I'll be there as soon a possible, don't worry."

After he hung up the call, she quickly grabbed a cardigan and went out, not even caring about her hair flying around.

When it came to animals, Natsuki had a soft spot for them.

She ran straight towards the park, where they all used to meet up while still looking around on her way for Neko-chan.

"Where can she be?" honestly, Natsuki had no idea where to look for her.

"Maybe somewhere cozy?" she muttered to herself while walking inside the park.

"Hey, you're here." suddenly, a voice interrupted her focused brain and she looked up.

"...what are you doing here, Yukio?"

Him again? No way on the earth was she expecting him, out of all people, to be there! Oh no, she hadn't even done her hair before going out!

"Oh, I'm just helping Fumiya-kun." he said with a smile and continued to look around the bushes.

"Oh?" so, he has time for helping Fumiya but not for a small chat with her? Was he really avoiding her?

"Are you doing the same too?" he asked after a while.

"Yes," she just answered bluntly and started walking around, calling for the cat.

To Natsuki, the silence never felt this awkward and strange between them. She wanted to talk to him but couldn't find the words.

What could she say anyway? That she was mad at him because he'd been ignoring her? Or that she didn't like it when he avoided her like that? And that she wanted things to go back to normal like before?

It was tough.

They continued to work in silence after that when Natsuki's mobile went off. It caught Taehyung's attention too.

"Hello," she started.

"Oh? Alright, we'll be there." and she hung up.

"Yukio, we are to go towards the lake." she turned to him, catching him by surprise.

"There's a lake around here..?" he asked, baffled.

"It's a bit far, we can't go on foot, we'll have to take our bikes."

•~•~•

"Fumiya-kun said that he is around here somewhere, why hasn't he showed up yet?" Natsuki wondered, staring at the calm lake water.

"Maybe he found Neko-chan already?" Taehyung approached her, standing close by her side.

Natsuki visibly stiffened, contemplating how to step away from him without making it obvious.

She was still mad at him for acting like nothing had happened and yet, here he was, all calm and collected! Which reminded her...

"Hey, Yukio, didn't you have plans for the weekend? Why are you helping Fumiya-kun right now?" her eyes were wide with sudden realization which almost made him laugh.

"Am I helping him? It's the other way around." he laughed, looking at her as she made a confused face.

"Eh?" she questioned, unable to understand the meaning behind his words.

"Natsuki, do you like fish?" he suddenly asked, changing the topic.

"Um, yes," she answered nonetheless.

"Do you know, cats like fish as well. We should catch some from the lake to lure Neko-chan out!"

The silence was loud.

After a while of thinking and staring, Natsuki finally spoke up, "are you saying that I'm a cat? Or that you've gone insane? What are you even saying?"

"No, you don't get it. Let's just catch some fish okay? Trust me, it's gonna work."

"We don't have the equipment though!?" Natsuki followed him as he started walking.

"Come on! Who's been living here for years, you or me? That uncle there gives the equipments for rent, doesn't he?" he pointed at the little hut, a few steps away from the lake.

"Oh, right." she smiled, embarrassed.

"Silly," he mumbled under his breath as they walked ahead.

The sun wasn't too strong. Just enough to give them a serotonin boost. The trees were calm, not enough wind to give the leaves their favorite flutter but they still seemed lively, basking in the sun.

Once they had the equipments, they returned to the lake.

The lake itself was a really calm place. Various trees surrounded it, casting a beautiful shade on the water surface. As the water moved, the shadows fluttered too. It was serene, to say the least.

"Are you really sure..?" Natsuki asked once again as Taehyung sat down on a big rock.

"I am, now come on!" he gestured her to sit down beside him.

"There?" she pointed at the cramped space beside him on the rock.

"Where else?" he just looked at her.

"Okay," she had no words anymore.

"It's a bit scary, sit close to me, so you don't fall down."

She just hummed, confused out of her mind. Just what was he trying to doing?!

"Now, let's fish!!" he sounded so enthusiastic, in no way did he sound like he was helping his friend find his lost cat.

"Yukio, you're acting strange today," she stared at the water and the fishing line roaming around the water surface.

"Strange? How so?" he didn't look at her either, both of them were just staring at the water, waiting for the fish to take the bait.

"Okay, first of all, you haven't answered my question yet. Did you have plans for the weekends or not?" now, she looked at him.

"I did," he answered shortly, without any delay.

"Eh? Then, what are you doing here?" she pestered more.

"Suki-chan," he then turned to her, "I'm attending those plans right now."

"What?!"

"Suki, you-"

"Wait, shit! No, Neko-chan!!" a meowing sound was heard, following by Fumiya's loud yell. It interrupted Taehyung's words.

"Huh?! Neko-chan?!" Natsuki got up, surprised as the cat walked towards her.

Meanwhile, Taehyung facepalmed himself.

Fumiya had one job!

"Oh, did you find her already? It's a relief-" Natsuki was just as clueless as a rock.

"O-oh, yeah," Fumiya laughed awkwardly, trying to play it off, "yeah, I found her. Now I'll go and take her to the vet to see if she has any injuries while she was missing, okay? I'll leave you guys al- I mean, I'm taking your bike, Natsuki-chan. I need to get there as soon as possible."

"What the heck are you- hey, Fumiya-kun!" before Natsuki could say something he was gone with her bike and Neko-chan.

"What the heck did just happen?" she silently turned around to look at Taehyung.

■□■□
A sudden stop- lol
Vote and comment! <3

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro