15 | UNDONE

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

w/n: spilled boatload tears writing this dunno why I've such a weak heart. want to have a good cry? take it in word by word. ]

LAURA

However bad I wanted to tell Eddie all the information I had collected that day and even though it was tickling the tip of my tongue to let it all out, anyone could sense the tension in the room. It was so thick that I could slice it with a knife because that was how rigidly Eddie stood against the counter.

'Something I need to know?'

He was struggling with his words. He tapped his fingers against the counters as he asked me the question that nagged him. 'Where is our relationship going, Laura?'

That's it. No endearments, just a plain upfront question that he expected me to answer. Tossing the magazine on his mess of a coffee table, I folded my arms like in an interrogation. I knew this was coming and I was prepared.

'Let's see,' I said. 'We've been on twenty-two dates in the past six months and you've given me eight gifts inclusive of the badge of excellence you won at that bar pool game down the street. I have given you nine out of which, the packet of gum I bought you, you oh-so-generously donated to the dumpster and just eleven days ago, I discovered about Venom, your parasitic body-mate who I found and is currently in Queens. Three days from now is our six month anniversary which as a matter of fact I know you don't remember because it doesn't matter and now, I'm questioning why I've been looking forward to it! You tell me now, Edward, where is our relationship heading?'

By the time I was done with my little rant, I was up from the couch and throwing my hands to showcase my utter stupidity. My chest was heaving and my teeth grounding together audibly. Eddie was still as a rock, his fingers kneading into each other. This was a thoughtful gesture, knowing his mind was racing with what he'd do next.

'I didn't know,' he cleared his throat, 'I mean, I wasn't paying too much attention. And you . . . shit, I'm such a prick.'

'Why did you ask so suddenly?' I whispered with curiosity. It came all too abruptly. Just before, Anne had left the apartment and dropped her news about the wedding. Then, Eddie drops his insecure question about our relationship.

'Anne's moving outside of New York after the wedding,' he confessed in a heavy voice. 'And I felt like I had nobody, Laura. And I didn't know where I was going with this because she moved on so fast. I want to be sure of where I was with you so that I can be better,' he quickly added. 'For you.'

'You're confused?' I tried. With a dejected heart, I asked him. 'Do you want some space? To reflect?'

'I don't know. Jesus, I didn't know why I asked in the first place.'

'No, Eddie,' I coerced moving to him by hopping over the couch to get to him. His hands were braced against the counter, his head hanging low in shame. Placing a warm hand over his, I clutched it lightly. His warmth was so welcoming, I went against the thought of going for hug knowing not to take advantage.

'It's okay to feel alone. Losing Venom has taken a toll on you and I understand it's very hard. You got all these things coming at you and you're bound to be confused and I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Just,' I took a tremored breath, 'you're not alone. You have me and if you want some space to think things over, I'll gladly give it to you. Not because I want to but because it's the right thing to do.'

Eddie didn't speak for a long time and expected him not to. He was processing my words, word by word and hopefully he came to the right decision. And whatever it was, I had to accept it. However bad the outcome was.

'Okay,' he murmured. 'I'll take a breather, cool off. Yeah.'

My heart sunk to my stomach. My innards coiled and recoiled with an odd nervousness as I fought to hold in my tears, my hands inevitably trembling. Sin went silent in my head knowing it was best to give me some space as well. Tit for tat.

I struggled to hold my emotions intact as I took in a shaky breath and retracted my hand to catch the escaping tear. 'Great. Good, I'll just - um. Go.'

'Where?' He asked quietly, his eyes set on the wetness that had anchored at the back of my hands as I set them on the counter beside him. So I had not entirely thought this through. Drifting apart which meant that I'd have to move somewhere else for a while.

'A motel, maybe? I dunno. I'll find someplace safe.'

He shook his head and started off. 'You don't have liquid cash - '

'What matters is you, Ed. I'll figure something out.'

The manuscript. Tell him about Venom.

I thanked Sin in my head. Before I forgot, I fetched the crushed piece of paperwork in my pocket and straightened it out. I had already circled Keith's pixelated face on the image and underlined the photographer's name. 

'Queens. Keith's around there and you've got to get him before SHIELD or the Avengers do. They might eliminate both of them if Fury finds out about this.'

'Okay.' He said monotonously, still craning his neck to the counter. 'I'll have a look.'

All my senses forced me to stay put. I didn't want to leave him even for a little while. I wanted to be with him, help him solve this problem and find Venom for him. I wanted so much more but it had ultimately boiled down to this. 

Most of all, I wanted to scream it at his face. I wanted to tell him how much I loved him. How much I wanted him to hold me back and kiss me one last time. I couldn't hold back when I leaned forward to press a soft kiss over his temple, letting it linger longer than necessary. My hands his hair tightly, not willing to let go.

I muttered in the lowest of voices. So low there was no chance Eddie could've heard it. It was like a micro signal, imperceivable to the human ear. My breaths were raspy as I said it. 'I love you. Too much to say goodbye.'

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro