16 | REVERT

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

EDDIE

That's when I knew I'd taken the wrong decision. To let her walk away on me with some bullshit excuse on taking a break.

Why would I want to reconsider a relationship with the best thing that had happened to me after Venom? What sort of stupid fuck screws up on the woman he couldn't help but love?

It had taken all my willpower to agree to the arrangement. I'd seen the tears on her face and yet I said yes. Laura sobbing? Even the devil couldn't make her cry. She was solid as foundation and headstrong in what she wanted, accepted the hits that came at her. If she did cry, she wouldn't do it in front of me. Laura lost her job and yes, she cried but it was because it was the most humane thing to do. I let her off the hook for that.

It could've been minutes, hours or minutes that felt like hours but I did not move from the kitchen. I couldn't. I walked around the kitchenette, wracking my head over my impulses and just wanting another voice to back me up. At times like this, Venom was missed, that bastard.

Pulling at my hair, I wondered about where she could be at ten in the night. The poor thing didn't even money on her, just her scooter which I didn't even know if she were in the right mind to drive. She said she'd rent out a place in a motel. A fucking motel filled with filth incomparable to my apartment? Laura would go nuts. Of course, she wouldn't have gone there. Maybe May's for sure.

The spare keys she left on the counter stared right back at me. My bike keys was a few meters away, dangling right beside my door and glinting me, coercing me to take it.

Just one drive. I could.

'What matters is you, Ed. I'll figure something out.'

I convinced myself with it. Laura will figure something out. She was predictable. She wasn't reckless and arrogant like me. She was accommodating, she'd know what to do. She was willing to give me space and give me time to think. She took care of others, she will be okay. What would Venom say to this?

Okay, what the actual fuck, you piece of earth shit? You let her go, you fucking loser.

Laura was driving me crazy. That was the end of it. It'd not even been minutes since our officially space-giving-episode and I was already losing my mind.

Losing my mind over why she agreed to this. About why she didn't stubbornly hold onto me instead of walking out that door. All the while I wondered if it were impossible for her to love me. Like actually love me even with the short span of time we'd been together. 

'Three days from now is our six month anniversary which as a matter of fact I know you don't remember because it doesn't matter . . .  '

It mattered the most, of course, it did. What drove me wild was the fact that she kept count of our dates despite the chaos around her, the 'badge of excellence' which I gentlemanly forgot about. Three days from now. 

Technically. two days from now since the clock had struck twelve. 

- ♣ -

- Laura - 

When I reached my old place (I would've exorcized myself before I stepped foot into a motel), what I didn't expect to see was my roomie sucking another girl's face off at our doorstep. Her eyes widened when she saw me with a dumbfounded expression, holding the mystery girl an arm's distance away.

'Sharp, the fuck are you doing here?' She asked. I remained silent, shifting my weight from leg to leg and eyeing the other girl.

May caught on and pressed a chaste kiss on the girl's cheek, holding her wrists. 'I'll see you tomorrow at ten.'

The girl giggled softly and nodded, waving at her and me before leaving down the hallway. May narrowed her gaze at me right after, crossing her arms suspiciously. 'It's one in the night, what do you want?'

'Can I please crash here for a few days?' I murmured softly, hard to get any words out of my dead throat. May assessed my stance cautiously and the slight tears that pricked the edge of my eyes.

'Holy shit, dude. Did Brock dump you?'

Her words made me splutter into tears, my words coming out as a blubber of sentences. 'I could really - use an h-hug! '

My fists swirled against my eyes to wash the tears away when I felt warm hands coil around me. I sniffled into her shoulder and she sighed. 'This is a new shirt, bitch. You owe me.'

I sadly chuckled as I would my arms around her waist. 'Thank you. I'll give you the green top that you liked.'

She 'woo'ed under her breath and let me go. Running a hand through her ravenous blonde swirls, she said sternly. 'I'm not a hardhearted asshole, Sharp. A friend in need is a friend indeed. Let me tell you something, I knew that greasy bitch was up to something the first time I saw him. I hated you for taking the wrong decision. Now that you realized your mistake, we're good. He was never normal for you with that shitty motorcycle, so you better get your ass inside, eat what I give and hit the sack. Got it?'

I nodded in understanding. 'Got it.'

She muttered under her breath as she jingled the keys into the keyhole. 'Jesus, girls like you really wear your heart on your sleeves.'

'It's the sad truth that I ain't gonna deny.'

As soon as the door was thrown open, May quite literally pushed me to the kitchen bar and plopped me on a stool. She was like a tornado as she whizzed around the kitchen fixing me a mega-sized sandwich with the boat-load of leftovers from whatever she'd cooked yesterday. The smell of parmesan and chicken broiled my heartbroken senses, my stomach rumbling with delight.

Could God be a woman?

I laughed silently at Sin's comment. 'May's a chef downtown. She cooks up real fatty food.'

'Who you talking to?' May asked with her back to me.

'My conscience.' I answered back simply.

'Crazy fuck,' she muttered and I stifled a chuckle. May's mumbling was hilarious. 'Love drives you nuts, now I get it. It's what killed Juliet, fucking love. See, that's why I don't do love. I have sex, that's the end of the line.'

Let's stay here forever, Laura. We'll get our bellies full every day.

I shushed him when the ravenous mountain of food looked over at me from the table. My jaw dropped at the sight of waffle cut fries and what looked like chicken parm falling out of the slices of bread with a thick slather of mayo and secret spicy sauce. 

'I only cook that much for the ones I love,' she said in a hard voice when she saw my flabbergasted appearance. 'So you better lick the plate clean.'

'I'll gain pounds! My job depends on my fitness,' I mumbled. Sin growled at me for the comment and my hand shot out on their own accord to grab the fork and spoon. May shook her head.

'Okay, Malibu Barbie,' she rolled her bright eyes. 'Don't fuck with me about food. What did I tell you? Eat what I give and sleep, remember?'

I sighed in defeat. 'Aye aye, captain.'

I practically sniffed my food off the plate with Sin's large appetite fixed. I could feel Sin bowing as May patted my head with a good night, strictly ordering me to go to bed. I washed up for the night, slipping into the covers and letting sleep engulf me.

I tried reverting my thoughts, convinced that the break was for the better good. I'll find a temporary job, send out a few application; enough to keep me busy for a week.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro