12. I'm Not Sorry

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It's going to be a long day. My head feels as if it has been split in half. I mean it always has been but this time it is different because I can feel the presence of the voices yet I hear nothing from them. Besides the blistering headache, I keep remembering memories that I wanted to forget. Bad memories that should be buried. The images come vividly and flash like lightning as I whisper "no" a million times until it stops.

I want to blame this on the God of Death, I want to believe this is his doing. I did lamely threaten him. He probably got upset but I can't help feeling that Grimm would not be upset over something like that. When I did threaten him he had this look in his eyes...Admiration? Respect? 

It sounds completely ridiculous but that's what I saw. I think.

I lean back into the bench as I wait for Death himself to take me to my first appointment as acting Grim Reaper. It sounds clinical and morbid but I don't know what else to call whatever it is we are doing. I reach for my handbag taking out my medication but my gaze lingers on a loose thread from the white cloth wrapped around my ha-

Crack.

"No, no, no..."

Blood.

I squeeze my eyes trying to ignore the memory except it plays.

I am back in my freshman year in high school, sitting down on a yellow plastic chair and my hand is moving up and down. I am scribbling in my notebook and each line is long and dark. Quick and sharp. They are all talking and I can't make them stop talking. I pull for my headphones when someone slams their hand against my desk, I look up to see Nancy Pennington's icy stare.

"Give it back." She grits out.

My eyebrows furrow, "I don't know what you are talking about." I resume back to untangling the wire from my headphones.

"I know you took it, give me back my bracelet." She smacks my desk again.

This time I look at her carefully, the classroom has become quiet but a humming noise is making its way to my head. Her gaze is narrowed, I don't know why she thinks I stole her bracelet when I don't even talk to anyone. No one talks to me.

I insert my headphones into my ears, "I didn't take your bracelet." She yanks my headphones from my ears and throws them onto the floor stomping on them like a five-year-old. I watch her.

This is nothing new. I like to think I am invisible sometimes but some people notice me and when they do, bad things happen. Either to me or them.

She looks at me with disgust, "If you don't give me back my bracelet by the end of the day I will call the cops on you." She begins to walk away but looks over her shoulder, "I am sure they would love to have the psychopath who got away with murder."

My chair screeches as I get up, "What did you just say?"

I have never spoken to Nancy. I don't know what makes her think I stole her bracelet.

"Apart from being a thief, you are also a psychopath who killed their mother." Everyone gasps.

I don't know how she found my mother but I did not kill her. Everyone is whispering to one another and looking at me weirdly, looking at me as if I was a monster. Did they believe her? Of course, they did. Heat spreads around my neck. I want to cry and run away until I look at Nancy who is smirking, taking pleasure at my humiliation.

I hated this feeling, hurt and embarrassment. I wanted to get rid of it. Hurt manipulates itself into anger, my eyes roam around the room and they land on the window sill where a row of books sit with two large pieces of chess pose as bookends. My legs move to the window sill grabbing the chess queen bookend and feeling its heavy weight on my palm.

The humming noise is getting louder but I push farther back.

Nancy has her back turned, I call her out and she was still smiling. Pure rage burns brighter than a fire, "Are you going to give me back my bracelet?" She asks.

"No, I am going to give you something else." My hand grips the bookend twisting the angle to the sharpest edge as I struck her nose. Her hands fly to her nose, blood and tears running down her face.

"Are you crazy!" She screams.

Checkmate.

She wasn't smiling anymore and I liked that more than anything. Everyone rushed towards Nancy trying to help her while others stared at me, even with their stares I felt nothing. I didn't feel sorry for breaking Nancy Pennington's nose the same way she didn't feel sorry for what she said.

I say we are even.

A sharp pain shoots inside my head and the humming noise becomes the voices, I am breaking. I am breaking down and everyone looks at me like I am insane. Things become worse. A lot worse.

I am pulled back to reality when my eyes flicker to a pair of black polished shoes and slowly make their way up to the familiar face. The Devil has arrived. My hand pulls back placing my medication behind me.

"What were you thinking about?" Grimm's eyes glittered mischievously.

I blink a couple of times before answering and get up from the bench standing in front of him.

I choose to ignore his question, "You are late."

"Ah, yes well I had to take care of something first but we should get going before we start running late." He turned his body slightly as we began to walk together, "I do hope you were thinking about me. You had the faintest smile." He said.

I shook my head, "I wasn't smiling. I was remembering a bad memory so I couldn't have smiled." My fingers play with a loose thread. I shouldn't have told him anything.

"What did you remember?" Grimm asks.

I shot him a side glance to see if I heard him right because why would the God of Death want to know about my memory.

"This isn't supposed to be about me, you are supposed to open your heart to me," I replied.

He moves closer to me, "Come on, raven. Indulge me."

The thin thread barely felt rolled between fingers deciding whether I should speak the truth to someone for once or get away with a lie. But this was nice, someone wanted to listen to me and they were waiting for me to say something and unexpectedly it was the God of Death who wanted to hear me.

I stop my tracks as Grimm turns to face me fully, I place my hands into the pockets of my coat.

"I was remembering the time I broke a girl's nose," I said a bit quickly.

He raises his brows slightly, "Ah. Did she deserve it? You don't have to lie to me, you can speak as truthfully as you want."

Honesty feels like a luxury sometimes.

"I could have done something less...bloody."

Grimm's mouth twitches, "So you still would have taken action."

My feet turn to continue walking to where the hell we are going. I didn't know what to say to him, Nancy was a horrible person not only to me but to so many others. I only did what everyone wanted to do. Was it a bit extreme? Yes. Did she deserve it? Yes. I found out a year later after the incident Nancy got a nose job and never accuse anyone of stealing anything again.

I also heard it was one of her friends who stole her bracelet. She purposely blamed me, she thought I was an easy target. She was lucky I transferred schools.

As we got nearer to the end of the street, I saw Hans standing next to a black sleek car.

My brows furrow, "Where are we going? And what exactly am I going to be doing?" I ask.

Hans opens the backseat car door for me. My eyes land on the four white shopping bags with golden lettering on the front. Then it clicks, he was running late because he went on a shopping spree.

However, I am mistaken.

"How fast can you change?" Grimm asks.

Feeling a little annoyed, I answer, "What's wrong with my clothes?" I am wearing a gray shirt with black jeans and a black coat on top. It's simple and safe.

"We have to put on a show first before we can reach the soul. The clothes are part of the act and I need you to pretend to be my lover." He said nonchalantly.

My whole face scrunches up. This is now the second time Death has pretended to be my lover. I massage my temples as Grimm opens the car door wider, nodding to get inside the car.

"Why do I have to be your lover? Why can't I be your friend?" I say as I climb inside the car.

Grimm nods to Hans' as he moves to start the car and turns to look at me, "Because it wouldn't make sense for us to be friends for what we are going to do."

I place my hand on the car door before he can close it, "You still haven't explained what we are going to do."

"I will explain it to you once you are done getting ready." He pulls his wrist out checking his watch, "Great. We are running late." And he slams the door in my face.

He is infuriating.

I pull my bag to take some aspirin when I notice my other medication is missing. Dammit. I must have left at the bench. I would have to go to the pharmacy when I get back and who knows how long this is going to take.

A/N : I think it's been two months and I am truly sorry for not uploading, there were just so many things happening but I am back. I am definitely finishing this story. Enjoy. Thank you for 1.54k reads! Don't forget to vote!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro