4 - The Sound of the door.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Quarantine sucks people so read this chapter for a change. I will try to update quicker now.
Enjoy!
--------------------------
The sound of the door opening pulled me out of my thoughts. I saw Tyler barging through the old classroom, clearly out of breath. He glanced at me for a split second, but instantly directed his gaze on his best friend.

"You good?" He asked is the softest voice I ever seen a guy use. Austin nodded, all the while keeping his gaze lowered.

"What happened?" The next question was directed to me. "He was explaining to me how he doesn't need my help in the history project and between his rant I noticed how his breath is getting uneven. And thinking it was an onset of panic attack I dragged him here to ease up a bit."

An awkward silence followed my answer. After a moment or two Ben cleared his throat, "Um... Guys you don't need to worry about me. This isn't my first rodeo. I will just have to go ahead and take some rest in the nurse's office. I will be fine in an hour or so."

"Okay then..." I picked up my bag "..... Tyler text me Ben's number so I can inform him of the field day of the project. See you later boys." With that I turned and made my way out of the old class room.

I purposely didn't address Austin in case my presence was somehow a trigger for that almost panic attack. My after lunch period in PE and I tend to skip its theory lessons once in a while since some of the content is already taught to us in AP Bio. And for once hate doing anything related to academics twice.

Sitting on the stairs leading to the fields, I rethink my approach for Ben's case. I know for sure that this case is different than any other I have ever taken. Also that I can't deal with Ben in the normal way I do, my conscious won't let me. Deep down there is this gut feeling which is telling me that something's wrong. Something is really very wrong. But I am determined to find out. From now one thing is final Austin is going to be my personal mission. I have never done something like this before but what's the harm in that?

---x---

So it has been a whole day after the unfortunate incident with Austin and the only acknowledgement I have given is a smile whenever we crossed each other in the corridors. Other than that I have kept my distance. I was still going to follow my initial plan and try to not overwhelm him.

But now it's a little over 24 hours and I am determined to finally talk to him. Tyler have texted me his number the same day of the incident. And I am going to use it now.

The number was typed in the correct place and was meticulously checked by me at least thrice but I can't seem to find the correct words to still remain less-overwhelming.

At last I settled on a very pathetic greeting.

[ Okay so the italics are what Alex texted and the bold are Ben's reply.]

>> Hi! This is Alexina Cooper.

Delivered- 6:40 PM

There I sent it. It's done now. I think for I while I should keep things usual. Right now it was very tempting to text him a 'Sorry wrong number' but I will not do that. And before I could give into the temptation, I locked my phone and kept it on my nightstand.

"Alex it's your turn to cook today. I am not picking up a single plate." My mothers voice floated in our other wise silent household.

Oops! I totally forgot it was my night to cook. I sprung out of my bed and rushed downstairs. Because its an un-written rule of universe, "When your mother calls, you go."

Cooking dinner while dancing and then having a FaceTime dinner with dad made me forget about all the text I sent a few hours ago. When the light bulb went off in my mind I dashed upstairs to check my phone.

Opening my door I stood still for a second catching my breath and looking for my phone in the semi dark room. And there was my baby at the night stand. It vibrated when I picked it up indicating I did get something. It just have to be something of my liking.

And you know what there was one.

-- Hey! Alex. I sorry for today's fiasco ~Ben

Delivered 7:30

I glanced at my watch will told me he sent the text about. 2 hours ago. Shit! I am late. If you don't know me let me tell you I hate it  when I answer texts late. In my language it's translate to disrespecting someone.

I quickly worded a apology.

-- I am so sorry. I didn't mean to leave you hanging like that. And about this afternoon's events it was out of your control and thus no need to apologize. You didn't do it purposely.

Delivered 9:33

Seen 9:33

Man he saw the text as soon as I sent it. And from the little bubbles coming alive I know he is typing a reply to me. Dammit now I feel even more guilty for replying 2 hours late.

-- No problem I understand you must be busy.

-- And about this afternoon. Even though it was out my control I caused you trouble. And that's what I apologized for.

Delivered 9:35

Seen 9:35

I am tried of this exchange of sorry , I don't mind them but I think I have hit my limit for today. I don't have a very good appetite for them but I am way better than Riley.

Choosing my words with caution I texted him back

<--- Okay let's stop this blame game and discuss the project.

Delivered 9:38

Seen 9:40

His reply came in the form a gif, and I couldn't help but smile giddily to my self. The smile stuck with my lips throughout our conversation and was still there when I was dozed off with my phone lying on my stomach.

Next morning I was weirdly positive for me. I haven't felt this optimistic in a while. I felt its effect in my daily routine as well. I finished almost everything quicker. Time didn't flew, it was crawling. Crawling at the pace of a turtle. Just as peaceful as him and just as calm. 

I looked out of the window the sun hasn't risen yet and here I was bringing with both extra energy and time. Since I had so much time on hand ,I thought a morning walk should be a great way to spend time. It took me less than 10 min to trade my pajamas for a some athletic wear and rush down with my headphones blaring music at the loudest volume I could bare.

I have been a good mile away from my house when I felt someone's eyes on me again. I turned around the few rays of the rising sun helping me see better.

A shadow was all I could see of my supposed "stalker". It felt like if this person was literally following me then this may as well be the best chance I get on catching them. I safely tucked my phone in my back pocket , hooked my headphones on around my neck and tightened my hold on my pocket knife and made my way towards the wall behind which my target was taking cover.

Hope the gods are on my side.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro