Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS
ii. ME AND MY HUSBAND
ALWAYS HAVE TO BE
PREPARED FOR ANYTHING!

IT WAS AROUND TWO O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING when Bruce had crawled into bed and Anastasia pretended to be asleep, but he knew her better than that. He placed a gentle kiss against the side of her head, wrapping an arm around her waist to keep her as close as possible. A soft sigh left Anastasia's lips, soaking in the warmth he provided. No words were exchanged at first, doing their best to enjoy the moment they had in each other's company. It was rare to find them in a bed together, considering Bruce came to bed late and she left early. But, sometimes, there would be a few hours they would spend together and they meant everything. However, the silence was broken when Bruce said, "I'm meeting Oswald Cobblepot in the morning."

Anastasia readjusted, facing Bruce as she tried to get a good look at his expression in the dark. But, they had 'black-out' curtains installed a few years back and those made it impossible to see anything. They were mostly for Bruce, considering he slept deep into the afternoon sometimes. "Why?" she asked softly, resting her head against his shoulder. He took in a sharp breath, shuffling around so that Anastasia was laying against his chest instead. She hummed, wrapping an arm around his waist. "Do you know what he wants?"

"I... I don't know, actually," he confessed, gently rubbing Anastasia's back. She gently ran a hand over his clothed chest, frowning when her fingers brushed against a bump underneath the cloth. He didn't stop her as she reached underneath his shirt, feeling the roughness of the bandages.

"What happened, Bruce?" Anastasia asked in surprise, sitting up as she felt the length of the bandage. She reached over to the nightstand, flicking on the light. Their small area was lit, but the rest of the room was settled in darkness. Anastasia lifted his shirt to get a closer look, seeing all the bruises that lined his skin as well.

"If you wanted to get my shirt off, you could have just asked, Ana," Bruce teased, running a gentle hand through her blonde hair. He tried to distract her, leaning forward to place a kiss against her cheek and then at her jaw. His hands began to trail lower.

But, Anastasia hadn't heard his words or registered his touches, staring at the wounds. It wasn't uncommon for Bruce to have bruises these days. His old scars were a reminder of that, but he always had an excuse for what had happened. She had learned that Bruce was extremely clumsy. The bandage covered his whole side and she didn't miss his sharp inhale when she gently pressed down. She frowned, dropping her hand as she looked at him. "Sorry... I didn't mean to hurt you."

He took her hand, bringing it to his lips to kiss her fingertips. "It's nothing, I promise. I hurt myself during tennis."

"That's what you get for playing tennis without me," she said, trying to count all the new injuries against his pale skin. A sigh left her lips as she lowered his shirt, trying to get settled again. But, she was careful to not press against anything that might hurt.

"Though, it wasn't the same without you," he chuckled, keeping the tone light as he reached across to turn the light off. It flooded the room in darkness once again. "You can get quite... competitive."

"I don't like to lose, Bruce," Anastasia mumbled, closing her eyes as she slowly wrapped her arms around him again. But this time, she kept her arm beneath the bandages. She wasn't too sure how badly he had been hurt, but she didn't want to make it worse.

It was quiet between the two of them as she listened to the beat of his heart. He continued to run a hand through her hair and Anastasia didn't want to admit how much she loved it. She had spent most of the evening angry at him, considering he was absent for so long and then shown up late. But, at the end of the day, she could never stay angry at him for long. She loved him too much. Her mind flickered back to what he was trying to tell her earlier ━━ Oswald Cobblepot. He had been at the party, she recalled. There was one of the staff at the door, keeping track of all guests and the list had been on her phone too. Though, the list hadn't been updated when Falcone showed up.

"Weren't you friends with Oswald?" she asked.

"I was... Our parents were friends, so we used to always be together. He may have been the first real friend I ever had," Bruce replied. "After his parents died, he was sent to a boarding school in England. It's been over twenty years since I haven't spoken to him. Alfred said he hasn't had the... best track record."

Anastasia hummed, wondering if Oswald only wanted to catch up or if he had ulterior motives. "Where are you meeting?"

"Cobblepot Park."

"Naturally," she shrugged. It may seem like she didn't trust Bruce with all the questions she was asking, but she only liked to know every detail so her mind wouldn't have room to imagine the worst case scenario. And, fortunately, Bruce never seemed to mind. "What time?"

"Six."

She frowned. "In the afternoon?"

"No, in the morning."

A groan left her lips, realizing it would be less than four hours till the meeting. "Why so early? You know, doctors recommend, at the very least, eight hours of sleep."

Bruce scoffed playfully. "When have you ever gotten eight hours of sleep?"

"Hey, I used to sleep for like... twelve hours straight when I was in high school," she defended herself, knowing that her sleeping schedule was just as bad as Bruce's. Sometimes, she would fall asleep in her office. But, she had a very comfortable couch there so she didn't mind. "Life was so much easier back then. But, then again, we were also broke and always on the brink of being evicted. But, at least, I slept like a queen."

"Well, you could always sleep in," Bruce mumbled softly, continuing to rub her lower back. "No one will say anything about you being late."

"Yeah, right, Bruce, that only works with you," she scoffed. "I always get an earful."

He hummed, mulling over her words. "They never mention anything when you're with me."

"No one wants to get on Bruce Wayne's bad side," she teased. Despite how annoyed Harvey had been that Bruce was late, he had still said next to nothing since he knew that Bruce could always pull away his funding for the campaign. She sighed, looking up at him despite the darkness. He may not have mentioned anything, but Anastasia knew exactly what day it was. "I want to come with you."

"To meet Oswald?"

"Yeah..."

He shook his head. "You don't need to."

"I don't want you to be alone, Bruce," Anastasia whispered, running her fingers against his jaw. She could feel the cuts against his skin underneath her fingers. Twenty years ago, Martha and Thomas Wayne had been murdered in a botched robbery which left Bruce an orphan. It was the anniversary and Anastasia knew this day was always hard on him. "Especially not today, you don't have to go at it alone."

"I'll be fine, Ana," he said. His tone had changed, sounding sterner than it had been before. "I'm not a little kid anymore. I don't need someone to hold my hand."

"Fine, you're right. But, we should still spend more time together," she countered, knowing better to mention his parents again. "And, if you take me with, I'd be there to protect you if things go sideways. Cobblepot Park isn't in the best part of Gotham."

"You'll protect me?" Bruce chuckled, almost as if he had an inside joke with himself.

Anastasia scoffed, offended as she hit his shoulder. It earned a wince from him, but he still didn't hide his amusement. "Hey, I got a bottle of pepper spray," she reminded him. It had been bought a few years ago, so she wasn't quite sure if it still worked. But, it was always there in her purse. "It'll help plenty."

"Fine, you can come," Bruce decided, placing a chaste kiss against her forehead. He took a deep breath and Anastasia made herself comfortable too, knowing they both needed to get some rest. "Then, we can probably get some breakfast before the press conference."

She smiled, nodding her head. "Sounds like a plan."

Morning came faster than either one of them would have liked. Anastasia had gotten up first, wanting Bruce to get an extra thirty minutes or so to sleep. She did her best to look presentable, knowing there would be cameras on them later on. She took a quick shower, blow drying her hair before she had pinned half of it up. She found a random blouse deep within her closet, green with flowers on it. If she was younger, she would have never been caught dead in a top that looked like it was made for a grandmother. But, she had grown used to a funky style and actually preferred it. She paired it with black slacks and orange flats that matched the flowers on her blouse.

Anastasia sat in front of the vanity, hearing the water turn off which meant Bruce was done with his shower. Her skin was pale and dry from the lack of sleep, making her apply a liberal amount of a skin cream her assistant had recommended. So far, it didn't show any signs of working but maybe she needed to give it another few weeks.

"You look beautiful," Bruce commented, coming out of the bathroom as he made his way to the closet. It was as if he knew exactly what she had been thinking from a simple glance.

Her eyes flickered to him. He was dressed only in his briefs, but that wasn't what caught her eye. He wasn't wearing his bandages anymore, causing her to notice the thick stitches against her side. It seemed to be healing nicely, thankfully. She stood slowly, walking toward him. "Bruce..." she mumbled softly, placing a gentle hand against his abdomen. He sighed, looking down at her. "What happened?"

"Tennis, remember?" He said, picking out a white shirt before shrugging it on. Anastasia frowned, watching him button it to hide his injuries from her. He ignored her, reaching for the rest of his clothing.

"They cut you open in tennis?" She scoffed, watching him with wide eyes as he dressed. "Bruce, please, don't lie to me. What happened to you?"

Bruce sighed, holding his suit jacket in his hands. "I didn't want to worry you, Ana, but... It happened before the event. I was at Wayne Tower, speaking to Lucius about this new tech he was developing. But... that's beside the point."

Anastasia listened intensely, watching his eyebrows furrow as he held one of her hands. She squeezed, urging him to continue. Her mind imagined a million different scenarios within a few seconds.

"I was on my way to the car, some asshole decided to be brave," Bruce shrugged, avoiding her gaze as Anastasia pieced it all together. His injuries made a lot more sense now, causing her to pout as she stared up at him. He chuckled, holding a red tint in his skin. "Honestly, it's just kind of embarrassing. That's why I didn't want to say anything."

"Oh, Brucie," she frowned, standing on her tiptoes to place a kiss against his lips. She knew Bruce didn't like that nickname, but he didn't comment on it. Anastasia held him in a tight embrace, closing her eyes. "I'm so glad you're okay... If... If anything happened to you, I... I don't know what I would do without you."

Bruce looked guilty at that, meeting her gaze as he caressed her cheek. "It looks worse than it is."

"Okay, just please, be careful next time," Anastasia whispered, moving back toward the vanity table. She picked up a red tube of lipstick, applying a light amount. Bruce put on his coat, moving onto his shoes. He didn't try to hide the pain he was in anymore, making her feel bad.

She opened one of the drawers in the vanity, looking over the necklaces she had. Her eyes flickered to a pearl necklace, something her father had gifted her many years ago. She debated whether she should wear it or not, considering her blouse was on the flashier side. She shrugged, deciding it didn't hurt and that people expected her to wear thousands of dollars in jewelry anyways. After all, her wedding ring had cost thousands upon thousands of dollars. She had gotten used to how heavy it was after five years. She held out the necklace, smiling at Bruce. "Hey, Bruce, can you help? I can't get this on with my nails."

"Yeah, of course," he said, walking over as he towered over her seated form. He took the necklace, staring at the pearls for a moment. She watched him in the mirror, waiting for him to put it on as she kept her hair lifted.

"You alright?"

"Yes..." he replied, unlocking the clasp before he put it around her neck. His fingers trailed against her back, resting on her shoulders as he smiled at her reflection. Bruce placed a kiss against her neck. "Are you ready for the day, Mrs. Wayne?"

She returned his smile. "Always."

They left shortly afterward. In the car, Anastasia had let her music drift through the speakers as she focused on replying to all the emails she had received during the night. Though, she couldn't help but remember the night Bruce had first gotten the new car. They had driven it down almost every street in Gotham as they sung every song they could think of. But, they had changed so much since then. She wouldn't be in the office until much later, considering she wasn't sure how long the press conference was going to take. Bruce parked the car and Anastasia made sure everything was hidden in the back seat, including her tote bag that had almost everything she needed. She decided to bring her smaller back, considering it looped around her anyways. The car looked out of place against the street they were in, especially parked next to a beat-up white car that had been in one-too-many accidents.

Anastasia shivered, feeling the autumn breeze nibble at their exposed skin. The end of the year was approaching quicker than she would have liked. She had always preferred the warmer seasons to the colder ones, considering snow was something she did her best to avoid. The trees around them had turned into shades of orange and red, threatening to fall to the ground any day now. She grumbled, hugging herself as she kept pace with Bruce. "I should have brought a jacket."

Bruce chuckled, shrugging off his jacket before he held it out. Anastasia protested, shaking her head that she didn't want his jacket since he was only wearing a dress shirt. He put it around her shoulders, giving her a smile. "You are more prone to getting sick," he reminded, "and... I told you so."

"Yeah, yeah," she mumbled, putting the coat on properly. It smelt heavily of his cologne, making her smile. It reached the middle of her thigh, looking too oversized on her small frame. But, it kept her warm and that was enough for Anastasia.

Her smile faded as she took in their surroundings, heading toward the entrance of the park. Graffiti marred the brick walls while garbage was everywhere except the trash cans. There was a man at the entrance, huddled near a barrel fire. The man coughed as they passed, giving them a dirty look. It made Anastasia shrink, holding Bruce's hand just a little bit tighter. They walked up the stairs that led into the park, moving slower when they noticed a man sleeping at the entrance. He shivered on the ground, laying next to a few empty bottles of beer. Behind him, there was a shopping cart filled to the brim with the most random items. Bruce sighed softly, pulling out a few bills from his pocket to put into the man's cup.

The man coughed heavily, looking up at them. "Thank you, God bless."

Bruce linked his arm with Anastasia, leading her deeper into the park. The conditions worsened, making both of them frown. She felt guilty, looking at the homeless scattered throughout the park. While they slept warm in a massive manor, these people were forced to survive on the streets. It wasn't the same, but Anastasia had experienced homelessness before her father had come into wealth. It was after her mother had died and her dad had stopped making rent, leading them to be evicted. They lived out of her father's car for almost a year before he had been able to get back on his feet, said he was waiting for some inheritance to come in. And, fortunately, it had because then it seemed her father had become a millionaire within a year.

"You know..." Anastasia started slowly, leaning against him as they walked through the park. Cobblepot Park used to be beautiful, she remembered. She spotted a woman in the distance, leaned against the wall as she trembled from the cold despite the thick jacket she wore. "I remember living like this at one point..." she mumbled, mostly to herself. "Worst year of my life, so far."

"You don't mention your childhood often," Bruce pointed out, surprised that Anastasia had mentioned something from her past. He didn't know much about her life before her father had created Lovejoy Corp. She never talked about it, other than mentions of her late mother here and there. Anastasia tried to keep her past hidden from Bruce, but she was sure he knew from the vast information he had at his disposal. Surely, he must have had a background check before they had gotten married.

"Well, everyone needs a tragic backstory, right?" She joked, shrugging her shoulders. When Bruce's face remained serious, she sighed heavily. She didn't want to complain about her childhood to Bruce, knowing he wouldn't understand. Yes, he had lost his parents when he was nine, but he never had to worry about a thing. When her mother had succumbed to her illness, they had nothing left. Her father got lucky, pulling them out of poverty and putting every ounce of his being into his business. It was the only reason she had the life she had or perhaps... she would have found herself on the streets still. "My childhood wasn't like yours, Bruce. It's nothing worth mentioning, other than a simple footnote."

Bruce didn't push her, thankfully. "Well, I want you to know I'm here if you ever want to talk about it."

She smiled at him. Pure luck was how she managed to get a man like Bruce Wayne as a husband. When she had first met him, he had been an overconfident flirt and made her roll her eyes every time he came around. But, somehow, along the way, she had started to look over to his cocky responses and constant flirts. But, she saw the real Bruce Wayne when her father died. He had been there for her at every turn, supporting her every step of the way. Without him, Lovejoy Corp would have gone under and perhaps, she would have too.

His phone buzzed, making him look down to read the text he had received. He scoffed, shaking his head. "Great, Oz is running late. Said to meet him by the statue."

Anastasia's red lips twitch upward. "Aw, now you know what it's like to be on the receiving end of that."

The statue was in the middle of the park ━━ the sculpture of one of the Cobblepots from the shoulders up on a marble podium. She frowned, staring at the nonsense spray painted onto it. The whole park was in disarray, considering there was no one to look after it after the Cobblepots had disappeared. It was filthy, Anastasia would admit. She didn't fault the people for having burning barrels set up all over the park, considering it must be freezing at night. But, it caused smoke to float in the air and it made it hard to breathe. There were shelters all over Gotham, but they were running at full capacity since Mayor Hill had nothing in effect to help them. Perhaps, she should bring up this issue to Harvey and he could add it to his list of duties he would fulfill as mayor. Her eyes fell on a man watching them in the distance, leaned against a lamppost as he smoked a cigarette. His pink mohawk stood out to Anastasia. He was dressed similarly to everyone else in the park: ripped jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies. It made Anastasia realize they were too overdressed. They might well have been saying, 'Hey, come rob us! We have plenty of money!' She looked away, trying her best to ignore the man.

"Bruce, can you try calling your friend?" Anastasia asked, moving closer to him. Her eyes flickered back to the man, watching him smoke his cigarette. His gaze was still on them. "I don't think we should stay here for too long."

He did as he was asked, watching the phone ring before it transferred him to voicemail. Bruce hung up, offering her a reassuring smile. He followed her gaze, looking in the direction of the man that was making ​​Anastasia nervous. "Don't worry," he teased. "You have your pepper spray, don't you? I'm going to need you to protect us."

"Bruce!" she hissed, narrowing her eyes as he only laughed. She hit his arm, shaking her head when she noticed that the man had disappeared. She let out a breath of relief. "You can't just announce that I have pepper spray. We lose the element of surprise."

"Really? Tell me, what's the best way to take down an assailant?" Bruce asked, bringing her close as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders. It was pleasant, considering he blocked out the brisk wind.

Anastasia hummed, shrugging her shoulders. "Kick them in the jewels?"

Bruce chuckled, shaking his head. "What if it's a woman?" She had never imagined herself being attacked by a woman, but it was a possibility. In  all honesty, she didn't have an answer. He held her hands, looking over her sharp red nails. "You could use these to your advantage."

She smiled. "Yeah, I can scratch their eyes out."

"If you can reach their eyes," Bruce teased, causing her to scoff as she elbowed him. He held her in a light chokehold, something she could easily push her way out of. "If you ever find yourself in a situation like this, remember to push against the thumbs rather than the arm as a whole. You'll have a better chance at escaping then."

She smiled as she looked up, shooting him a wink. "What if I don't want to escape?"

"You'll die within a minute," he said grimly, lowering his hands back to her waist.

"You're such a romantic, Bruce."

Footsteps approached them, making Anastasia look behind Bruce in hopes to see his friend, Oswald. But, it was the man that had been watching them. He held a pocket knife in his hands, giving her a smirk as he stopped about three feet away. Though Bruce was not looking, it seemed that he had sensed the man's approach.

"Jewelry. Wallet. Cash."

Bruce let go of Anastasia, turning around to face the man. He kept her behind him, forcing her to peek around him to watch the man. Bruce stood tall, much taller than the other man. His eyes narrowed, but his expression blank as he waited for the other man to make the first move.

"Or this," the man held out his knife, "goes through you."

Two men approached them from the sides, causing Anastasia to cling to Bruce. The one to their right wore a beanie while the one on their left had red hair, details that somehow stood out to the woman. Not like they truly mattered. They stood too close, smirking at them. Bruce spared the other men a glance, holding Anastasia close to him to keep her behind him. When they did nothing, the one with the beanie spoke. "Hey, you heard him!" he spat out. He gestured to the pearl necklace around Anastasia's neck. "I want that necklace. Take it off!"

She just stared. Her arm wrapped around Bruce's waist as she buried herself as deep into his back as she could go. Bruce spoke, regarding all three men that surrounded them. His hands clenched into fists, watching them through darkened eyes. "Walk away, now."

"Do you want me to stab you?" Pink Mohawk spat out, stepping closer to Bruce with the knife. Redhead did the same, keeping it trained on her husband. She could barely breathe with her eyes darting between the three men. "I will end you."

"Step back, I won't warn you again," Bruce gritted out, pushing Pink Mohawk back. It only made him angry as he glared, skin flushing red in rage. But, he still waited, looking at the man with the beanie.

"If you don't want to cooperate, I can shoot your pretty lady here," the one with the beanie stand, unholstering his handgun to aim it at her face. She gasped, shrinking back as she stared at the barrel. Even Bruce had stiffened, watching the man closely. He lowered the gun to point it at her neck, flicking the safety off the gun. "Give me that necklace, doll face."

"Okay, okay! Just, please, don't hurt us," Anastasia gasped, struggling to get the necklace off with her manicured nails. Her eyes stung with tears as she tried to unlock the clasp. But, her nails made it impossible to get a grip. Her vision blurred with unshed tears. She couldn't stop her hands from trembling, staring at the gun in her face. "I... I can't get it off."

"You stupid bit━━"

The man lunged forward to grab the necklace himself, but he was never able to touch Anastasia. Bruce had rushed forward, pushing the man's arm up. A bullet was fired into the air, causing her to flinch as she stumbled back. Bruce tightened his grip on the man's arm, grabbing the gun from his hands. In one fluid movement, he had kicked the man hard in the abdomen and unloaded the gun. He removed the new bullet in the chamber as well before tossing the gun across the yard. Anastasia's eyes were wide as she watched the man groan on the floor, cradling his abdomen before he proceeded to throw up his stomach's contents. Her hand reached inside her purse, finding the aforementioned pepper spray. The other two recovered from their shock quickly, rushing forward to attack Bruce and━━

"Gentlemen!" a voice ringed out, causing them all to look in the direction. She could only assume the man approaching them was Oswald Cobblepot. He had his arms outstretched, a wicked grin adorning his features. He was a thin man, wearing a white t-shirt, black jeans, and a black trenchcoat.

"Keep walking, alright?" Pink Mohawk said quietly, behaving as if they were all simply just talking. Bruce had joined Anastasia's side again, holding her close.

"Yeah, this don't concern you, asshole!" the Redhead spat out, holding a knife in Oswald's direction.

"You see... that's where you're mistaken," Oswald said, shrugging his shoulders as he began to approach. His eyes drifted to Bruce and Anastasia, giving them a smirk. "My old mate and I have some catching up to do..."

The man with the pink mohawk lunged forward, trying to slice Oswald open.

"...and you're ruining the moment!" Oswald shouted, punching the man hard into the ground before he could do any damage. Anastasia winced, watching crimson blood drip to the concrete below from Oswald's golden rings.

The other man charged at Bruce, but Anastasia raised her pepper spray and sprayed it into the man's face. He howled, stumbling back as he frantically rubbed his eyes. She looked at Bruce, smiling at him as she shrugged. Guess the pepper spray came in handy. She watched the man with the gun stand, stumbling for a moment before he rushed to hit the back of Bruce's head. She pointed behind him and Bruce effortlessly dodged the attack. He punched the man in the jaw, making him fall unconscious this time. Her eyes flickered to Oswald, watching him slam Pink Mohawk's face into the metal railing of the bench. He walked over, shooting her a wink before he looked down at the man on the ground. He was still panicked from the spray, covering his eyes. Oswald towered over him, bending down to punch him over and over again.

"I don't think you need to do that..." Anastasia whispered, watching him turn the man's skin blue and purple despite him already being incapacitated. Her words had gone over Oswald's head as blood splattered all over his clothing and skin. It made her sick, causing her to take a few steps back from them.

"This used to be a nice place," Oswald commented, going after Pink Mohawk who had been trying to slice Bruce open. With no success, of course. He ripped the man away from Bruce, knocking him to the ground. "Low lives like you don't belong here!"

It was punch after punch before Oswald lifted the man's head and slammed it into the podium of the statue. Bruce came to stand by Anastasia, watching Oswald with a frown. There was blood splattered on Bruce's shirt, but she didn't think it was his. She worried he may have opened some of his stitches. Though, if he had, he didn't shown any signs of discomfort.

"This is my park! Mine!" he shouted, watching as the three men scrambled to their feet and ran off. He chuckled, demeanor changing completely as he regarded Bruce and Anastasia. "Oh, hey, you two, how nice of you to come meet me."

Anastasia found it hard to focus with all the blood, watching him with wide eyes as he approached them. She looked up at Bruce, waiting for him to say something first. Perhaps, Bruce was trying to find a resemblance between the friend he knew and the man that Oswald had become.

"Woo! That was a right little scrap, eh?" he grinned, reaching forward to wipe away the stray tear on Anastasia's cheek. She flinched back, wrinkling her nose at him as he only chuckled. Next, he looked at Bruce and tsked. He licked his thumb, wiping away the blood splattered against Bruce's jaw. "Nothing kickstarts the system like a dash of adrenaline, right?"

"Coffee has the same effects, you know," Anastasia mumbled, watching the man circle around them. She was used to being scrutinized, but not like this.

He shrugged. "I bet that got your heart pumping like coffee never has."

"Sure..."

"Oz, you went too far," Bruce finally spoke, looking at the mayhem Oswald had caused alone. Though, the blood seemed to blend with the current state of the park already. Still, Bruce was right but the other man did not have a care in the world.

Oswald tsked, shrugging his shoulders. "Got the job done, didn't I, mate? You would have let them make away with your stuff and lives. Your wife's brains would have been scattered all over that statue."

Bruce didn't look amused with Oswald's joke.

"I... I had my pepper spray," Anastasia joked, earning a chuckle from Oswald as well. Her heart was still beating too fast and her hands trembled within the sleeves of Bruce's jacket. She wrapped Bruce's coat tighter around herself, feeling anxious to be around Oswald. Bruce's presence helped, but she surely would have had a heart attack if she was with Oswald alone. It was unnerving to look at him, considering he didn't do anything about the blood splattered against his skin and the red stains on his shirt.

"It's been what... two decades?" he asked Bruce, giving the man a smile.

Bruce crossed his arms. "And you know what, I haven't been mugged once that entire time."

Oswald laughed. "That wasn't why I brought you here, mate. Right now, I'm tryin' to recognize the little Bruce I used to run 'round this place with," he turned, looking around the park with a saddened expression. "Back when it wasn't, y'know... like this."

He walked away from them, still looking around. Perhaps, it was the first time he had been back since he had gotten back from London.

"This park... It used to mean something," Oswald muttered, shaking his head. "A place that was safe for kids, for families... People came from all over to visit."

Oswald wasn't wrong. Anastasia remembered walking her neighbor's dogs in the park for some extra cash, considering her old apartment complex was only a few blocks away. Gotham used to be different back then.

"Mum and dad, they put so much work in here," Oswald sighed, placing his hands on his hips. "Glad they never saw it like this."

"This place is a wreck," Bruce muttered, eyes scanning their surroundings. Most of the people had cleared out after the fight, afraid that they may be neck. "It's better off bulldozed."

Anastasia hit his arm, shaking her head. His comment was insensitive, considering how much the park meant to Oswald.

"This park still matters to me, Bruce," Oswald muttered, watching the other man with darkened eyes. The comment had ticked Oswald off, no doubt. "It's all my folks left behind."

"Of course," Anastasia said, nodding her head as she offered the man a warm smile. "It would be better to restore it than bulldoze it down. I'm sure that's what Bruce meant."

Oswald sighed heavily at her words, shaking his head. He reached into the pocket of his trenchcoat and the anxiety of earlier chewed through, making Anastasia think he was pulling out a gun for a moment. But, he pulled out a flash instead, taking a gulp of it. "This city... chews right through people," he said, taking a seat on a nearby bench. Bruce and Anastasia remained standing. "Mum... committed to Arkham. Dad ended it himself, he did."

Anastasia nodded her head, sighing softly. She felt pity for the man, knowing how hard life could be when you lose the ones you love. All three of them were orphans, actually. Though, she had lost her parents later in life while Bruce and Oswald had lost them at a young age. Perhaps, it was the curse of living in Gotham.

"My family's fortune... there's nothing left," Oswald muttered, taking another sip from his flask.

"I know," Bruce said, putting his hands into his pockets. "Alfred told me."

"It's funny, huh?" Oswald smirked, facing Bruce. "Same place that ground my family to dust... gave you a good life. Used to run in the same circles, we did. Hobnobbin' parties, around the world vacations, unlimited potential. Now all I've got is this park..."

Bruce sighed, nodding his head. "I'm sorry, Oz. No one should have to go through that."

"Thanks, Bruce, but we're not the only ones suffering," Oswald chuckled. "Y'know when I saw you at the party last night I thought... Bruce Wayne... hasn't changed a bit. He still has the fancy house, the expensive cars, tailored suits, the richest friends, a pretty wife, and a butler that dances to his every whim."

Oswald's tone could be described as bitter, something was rotting within his soul as he circled around them like a vulture looking for its next meal. Anastasia stood close to her husband as he kept a close eye on his old friend.

"But, maybe I was wrong," he said, breaking away from them to stand in front of the statue. "Shouldn't've been a surprise when I saw you with Carmine Falcone. Made himself right at home, that oily fuck. Wish I could've punched that grin into the back of his throat."

"Falcone wasn't invited," Anastasia countered, crossing her arms. If anything, she had the same opinion toward Falcone that Oswald did.

Bruce nodded. "I hope we never have to see him again."

"On that, we can agree in earnest," Oswald grinned, pleased with their words. He placed the empty flask on top of the podium. "Falcone's made a stack of cash and corpses a mile high ruining families like mine. All he needs is a little push and..." he knocked the flask down, causing it to clank against the ground. "It'll be a treat to watch him hit pavement."

"The police have arrested him so many times," Anastasia recalled, shaking her head. "He's always out within the next week. No conviction ever sticks."

Oswald smirked, shrugging as he looked at Anastasia. He smelt of hard liquor and blood, making her wrinkle her nose as he stood in front of her. He pointed a finger gun in her direction, pretending to pull the trigger. "It's why someone should end him, permanently."

"Oz..." Bruce warned.

"Sorry, mate," Oswald said, shrugging his shoulders. "This reunion got a lot more grim than I planned, but things are gonna be on the upswing soon though!"

"How so?"

"A revolution is knocking on Gotham's door!" he laughed, clapping his hands as he watched their confused faces. "And, I'm here to let it in."

A revolution?

"Which brings me to you two," Oswald said, pointing his fingers at them. "You see, you throw a rock in any direction, you break a window that either Wayne Enterprises or Lovejoy Corp owns. As the 'rich and powerful' go, you two top Gotham's list. A power couple, we love to see it but it doesn't exactly work out for what I have planned..."

Well... if Anastasia was being honest, Lovejoy Corp's parent company was Wayne Enterprises. So, technically, Bruce owned everything. Though, Anastasia and Bruce never signed a prenup when they had gotten married (despite all the protests from everyone who knew him). So, if anything was happen to him, it was likely she and Alfred would inherit everything. But, all that was besides the point.

"But when my revolution starts, we're going to smash windows and cross off names all the way down," Oswald smirked, tilting his head at them. "Like I said, it's not gonna be pretty... it's gonna be beautiful. And, I can't wait to get started."

Bruce narrowed his eyes. "Are you threatening us, Oz?"

Oswald let out a dry laugh. "Take it as you like."

Bruce had some great friends, she mused.

"I have got great affection for you, Bruce, I really do," Oswald said, walking toward them to place a hand on Bruce's shoulder. He squeezed, perhaps a bit too tight since there were bruises there underneath his shirt. But, Bruce didn't react. Oswald poked his finger into Bruce's chest. "Which is why I'm warning you..." he whispered. "When this whole thing starts... make sure you're on the right side."

Bruce pushed Oswald's hand off his shoulder, pretending he didn't notice the anger that flashed across his face. But, the anger had faded as quickly as it had come.

Oswald chuckled, starting to walk off deeper into the park. "Good seeing the Waynes," he started, waving goodbye, "but I've got some rocks to collect. Cheers."

They watched him leave, disappearing beyond the archways that led into a different section of the park.

"He used to be your friend?" Anastasia asked, looking up at Bruce with a raised brow.

Bruce sighed. "Yeah... He's changed, more than I could have imagined."

"Well, what a morning," Anastasia hummed, letting out a nervous laugh. She began walking toward the entrance of the park, Bruce stayed next to her. "We were almost killed and then, your crazy friend is going to start breaking our windows."

"I wouldn't worry too much about Oz," Bruce said, looking down at the blood that stained his sleeves. It would be impossible to get blood out of a white shirt, so it was a lost cause to keep it. "We should go home and change."

"No, it's okay," Anastasia said, giving him a smile. "I brought a spare shirt for you."

"You did?"

"Well... I always have spare clothes in case something happens," Anastasia confessed, shrugging her shoulders. "I expected coffee spills, not blood... But, either way, we have extra clothes."

"You didn't get hurt, right?" Bruce asked.

She shook her head. "No. Though, I am surprised that you can fight so well, Bruce. You've been taking lessons, huh?"

He smiled. "Something like that."

They were quiet for a moment, trying to enjoy the park. Anastasia couldn't help but notice the men that tried robbing them huddled in a corner, flushing water into the eyes of the man she had pepper sprayed. She wondered if the police would be showing up, considering a gunshot had gone off. But, she doubted it. She didn't realize how loud a gunshot was, considering it was nothing like what you saw in the movies. Oswald did go too far, but at least, they weren't hurt. Bruce already had too many injuries. She faced Bruce, letting out a sigh.

"Are you okay, Bruce?" She asked softly, taking his hand in her own. "I know that must not have been easy... It must have reminded you of... of... Well... you know..."

Bruce hummed. "Ana, I'm fine."

"Look, all I'm saying is... that I'm here if you want to talk about it," she added, staring up at him with a concerned expression. "You don't need to bottle it up. It's okay to be... sad."

"I'll keep that in mind."

Once they got to the car, Anastasia looked at Bruce with a playful smile. "Want me to drive?"

"Only if you promise not to scratch it," Bruce teased, tossing her the car keys. She grinned, unlocking the car for both of them as the doors slid upward.

Anastasia sat in the driver's seat, having to adjust the seat forward since Bruce had much longer legs than she did. She gestured to the tote bag in the back. It was strange to carry around two purses, but she wanted to make sure she had everything she could ever need. Her other bag, also, had her laptop in case she needed to get something done away from the house or office. Bruce reached in the back, holding her purse in her lap before he looked through it to find a crisp white dress shirt at the bottom. She had an extra blouse in there as well, but that was the extent of what she had in her purse. If they had taken her car, there was a house in her trunk.

He took off his shirt and Anastasia did her best to keep her eyes on the road, mumbling curses when she realized the morning traffic had shown up while they were at the park. Her phone had paired with the car, starting to play her music and show all the notifications she had on the screen in the middle of the car. Her calendar app opened, flashing at them. "Shoot, the press conference is starting soon."

"We still have time for breakfast," Bruce shrugged.

"No, we don't," Anastasia scoffed, putting in the directions for Arkham Asylum. "It'll take too long."

"Nothing wrong with being fashionably late," Bruce countered, reaching forward to change the directions to a nearby café. "We deserve it for the morning we've had."

Anastasia sighed. "Fine, but just this once."

I SAID FRIDAY, BUT IT'S MONDAY NOW. But, it's okay because better late than never! I liked this chapter! It was fun to write Ana and Bruce interacting because I already love them so much. For now, it is following the game quite closely and so does the next chapter. I want to add more AU scenes because I need to fluff out this book! If I only followed the game, it'll be a short book. Originally, I wanted this book to be on the shorter side, but I just fell in love with this book and I want to make it a decent length.

I haven't revealed much about Ana's past yet, but there's a lot going on! There's a lot of secrets hidden in the Lovejoy legacy and I am so excited to slowly start to reveal it! In chapter four, we'll learn quite a bit but not everything! Poor Ana has a lot of nonsense coming her way, hehe.

Also, Ana driving the Batmobile and not even knowing. 👀 It had me smiling like crazy LMAO.

AMARA.
[ PUBLISH DATE ━━ 04.18.2022 ]

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro