[ 10 ] only love can hurt like this

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS
x. ONLY LOVE CAN HURT LIKE THIS
IF I DIE TONIGHT, JUST KNOW THAT I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU.

IT WAS QUIET IN THE MANOR when Anastasia had gotten home, being greeted by ghosts as she walked past the portrait of Thomas and Martha Wayne. Her cheeks were tearstained, repeating her last moments with Harvey Dent, as she searched for either Alfred or Bruce. She found neither of them, so she opted to lay in bed and cry until it was time to prepare for the debate. It had been too long of a day, having all the events play out like a broken record in her mind.

Her hands still trembled, but she clenched them into fists as she walked into her closet. It didn't take her long to find a dress she liked and one she hadn't worn in a few years. Though, she was sure the tabloids would have a field day with her repeating outfits. She had taken another shower, blown dry her hair, and gotten dressed. Her eyes were swollen when she looked into the mirror, making her sigh. She brushed her hair before pinning it back into a loose bun, everything was kept in place with a few well-placed bobby pins.

Anastasia didn't want to go to the debate. Instead, she wanted to hide under the covers and sleep for the next month or so. She didn't want to see Harvey so soon after what had happened, knowing it would only hurt. But, she also knew how bad it would look if she wasn't there to support him. At least, Bruce would be there too.

She reached for her phone, hoping to see a message from her husband who she hadn't seen in about nine hours. Her screen was filled with messages from her assistant, Laura, who had located the documents for the original hotel. Both Laura and Eric were still at the office, going over the documents and organizing everything the files had revealed thus far. Anastasia knew that, after the debate, she would have to go meet up with them and go over the documents.

Anastasia left shortly after, still no sign of Alfred which was odd. However, his car was still parked so he must have been in the manor somewhere. Perhaps, he had been avoiding her. She didn't blame him.

The debate was being held at the Wayne Memorial Auditorium. She remembered Bruce mentioning there used to be a theater at the exact location. The Waynes had inhabited the theater often, renting out the whole place to watch Bruce's favorite movies. It was something that Bruce occasionally did for her now, renting out whole theaters, concerts, and plays. Now, he was rarely around. She was lucky to catch a glimpse of him. But, she still considered herself lucky that Bruce was still around. He couldn't say the same about his parents. Her eyes flickered to a nearby alley that had been dubbed Crime Alley. It was where Bruce's parents had been gunned down by a man named Joe Chill. Bruce had never been the one to tell her about that. She had learned it from Alfred.

Anastasia parked her car on the street, noticing all the police cars that littered the streets. Red and blue lights filled her vision, chasing away the darkness of the night. The blockade had stopped traffic from miles, but she had been let through when they saw who she was. She got out, eyeing the nearby officers as she locked the car. It was understandable for the debate to have some protection, but this seemed excessive.

"Evening, Mrs. Wayne," one of the officers said, giving her a nod. He gestured for her to go up the stairs that led into the auditorium. "It'd be best if you went inside right away. It's only a safety precaution, but no one should be outside for too long."

She nodded. "Thank you, Officer."

Anastasia headed inside, forcing a smile for the paparazzi and the news outlets as they snapped away. The bright lights of their cameras caused her head to hurt, but she was mostly used to them. She expected to see Bruce somewhere in the crowd of guests, but he was nowhere to be seen. She hoped he was in the back rooms with Harvey. Anastasia didn't like how dependent she was on Bruce, but she didn't want to go through the night without him.

"Mrs. Wayne?"

She did not need to look back to know the voice belonged to Vicki Vale. Putting on a warm smile, Anastasia turned to face the other woman. "Miss Vale, hello."

"Hey, uh..." Vicki began awkwardly, shifting back and forth as she twirled the pen that she held in her hands. She wore dark dress pants and a red blouse, something that complimented her features. Her hair was pinned back, another pen resting behind her ear as it kept some hair in place. "I wanted to apologize for my behavior at the precinct. I just..." A heavy sigh left her lips as she shrugged her shoulders. "I just wanted to release the story before anyone else and I got carried away. I'm sorry for baselessly accusing you and Bruce."

Anastasia shrugged her shoulders, waving a hand dismissively. If she was being honest, she did not care about any more negative press about them. "It's quite alright, Miss Vale," she reassured, nodding her head. "I understand the ambition and I respect what you do. Investigative journalism isn't easy."

"I just want the truth to be out there," Vicki said, nodding her head. "And, I'd rather not get demoted to tabloid news again, you know? I rather enjoy the investigative journalism angle."

"It does seem like a fun job," Anastasia added, agreeing with Vicki. And stressful, she couldn't help but think. Trying to uncover her past felt like an investigation too and she was close to quitting. It was too painful to uncover the truth. She didn't want it, craving the veil of ignorance when she remembered how simple life was a mere week ago. She felt as if the stress was chipping away at her sanity, especially with her hallucinations.

"Well, you probably have things to do," Vicki said, taking a step back. She dug into her pocket, pulling out her business card. She held it out for Anastasia to take. "But, hey, let's get a coffee sometime? We can talk about everything going on with the Lovejoys. It'll give you a chance to tell your side of the story."

Anastasia took the business card, looking it over before putting it into her purse. Wayne Enterprises had a P.R. team that took care of situations like this and they had always warned them not to talk to any media outlets without their permission. However, they weren't doing the greatest job at the moment. Anastasia was willing to turn to Vicki for help if things got any worse. She nodded, giving the brunette a smile. "I'll think about it, Miss Vale."

"It's the least I can do."

Anastasia walked off, walking up the stage where a few police officers stood. GCPD was crawling all over the auditorium, standing at every entrance. They let her through, allowing her access to the backroom where Harvey and his team were. A few makeup artists crowded around him, powdering his face and making sure he looked presentable. His eyes lit up when he spotted her at the entrance, standing up from his seat. His makeup team stepped back, allowing him to approach Anastasia. He smiled, letting out a relieved sigh.

"I'm so glad you came, Ana," Harvey whispered, keeping a respective distance between the two. He fiddled with his hands, struggling to meet her eyes. "I... I wasn't sure if you were going to come... after what happened..."

She nodded slowly, glancing around to see if Bruce was around. However, she had not spotted him yet and she could feel the dread start to burden her. "I couldn't miss the debate," she mumbled, briefly meeting his gaze. "It would look bad, especially for the polls. We need all the votes we can get if we want to beat Hill."

"So," Harvey said slowly, "you're only here as a sponsor?"

Anastasia bit the inside of her cheek, breathing out through her nose. "Harvey," she whispered, shaking her head. "Please, don't do this now."

"I don't want to lose your friendship," he continued, keeping his eyes on her face.

"Well, you should have thought about that before you kissed me," Anastasia pointed out, giving him a glare as she met his gaze. It was strange to see his eyes so soft. She knew Harvey cared about her, but it wasn't in the way she wanted or needed from him.

Harvey looked around, making sure no one was listening to their conversation. He took her by the arm, dragging her into a deserted corner to speak in hushed tones. "Ana, I fucked up. I get it," he sighed, shaking his head. "I really care about you, I do. You mean the world to me."

"Harvey..."

"I don't know when it happened. I never meant for this to happen," Harvey continued, towering over her as he looked down. She couldn't find the strength to look up at him. "Ana, I..."

"Please, stop," she said, meeting his eyes as she tried her best to not let her emotions get the better of her. She blinked, trying to make sure her tears wouldn't make an appearance. She didn't want to hear this now, especially after everything that had happened. Perhaps, tomorrow she would be more willing to deal with Harvey. But, not tonight when all she wanted to do was go home and sleep.

"Please... Just let me finish," Harvey said, nodding his head as he quickly became aware of her discomfort. He took a step back, creating more space between them. "I realize that you don't feel the same way and I do respect that. I should have never kissed you like that. It was disrespectful to you. And, to Bruce."

She listened, feeling her nerves start to calm. It was reassuring to hear Harvey begin to apologize, making her wonder if they could salvage their friendship. But, there would need to be a lot of boundaries if she ever wanted to trust Harvey again.

"I should have known better than to question your marriage," Harvey sighed, stealing a glance at his team who had been quietly watching them from the corner of their eyes. "I hope we can still be friends because I do care about you a lot, Ana. And, I want to say that I'm very sorry."

"Harvey, you've put me in such a difficult situation," Anastasia pointed out, crossing her arms as she dug her nails into her own forearms to give her some distraction from the situation. "You were one of my closest friends and you betrayed that. What am I even supposed to do here? Pretend like it never happened?"

He nodded hesitantly. "Perhaps, that would be easiest for everyone? It was just a stupid mistake, Ana. I promise I'll never do anything like that again."

Anastasia sighed, nodding her head. She didn't want to deal with the drama anymore. "Fine, we'll just act like it never happened," she mumbled, feeling as if she was betraying Bruce. But, perhaps, it would be better to not tell him. After all, nothing happened. And, telling him would only make him upset and it'll lead to an argument. She didn't think Bruce would be angry at her, but she could never be so sure. "I have enough stress to deal with already."

Harvey smiled, nodding at her. "Thank you, Ana."

It was quiet for a moment until Anastasia spoke again. She looked around, peeking outside the door to catch a glimpse of her husband. "Where's Bruce? He isn't here yet?"

"Oh..." Harvey began, clearing his throat as he looked in the direction that Anastasia was searching. He shifted awkwardly, shrugging his shoulders. "I told him to not come to the debate."

Anastasia frowned, abandoning her search as she looked up at Harvey. "Why would you do that?"

"Look, Ana, I know how it looks, but my advisors thought it was best if Bruce kept his distance," Harvey began, clasping his hands together. "Bruce's reputation is terrible at the moment. He's not Gotham's Prince anymore, considering everyone thinks his money is dirty. He's been tied together with Falcone and that kind of negative press is not something we can afford right now."

"But, none of that is true, Harvey," Anastasia said softly, shaking her head. "You and I know that Bruce is nothing like his parents. He's a good man. He's only ever helped Gotham."

"I can't be his friend in the public eye anymore," Harvey explained, holding his breath as he expected Anastasia to overreact. "I can't have him ruin the momentum I have with the public right now. I need their support if we want me to be the next mayor of Gotham."

"And, you've told all of this to Bruce?"

"I did."

Anastasia let out a heavy sigh as she closed her eyes, biting the inside of her cheek. "After everything we've done for you, Harvey? This is how you treat us?"

"You can stay! I... I would prefer it if you stayed! Your reputation is still stellar," Harvey reassured, giving her a smile. "It's just... Bruce... Well, you know what everyone thinks of the Waynes."

Anastasia narrowed her eyes, shaking her head. "I am a Wayne, Harvey. I have been for the past five years. Anything you do to Bruce, you do to me. So, if you hurt him, you hurt me. And, I will hurt you back."

"Ana, please don't go," Harvey said, taking her hand to prevent her from leaving. She ripped her hand out of his grasp, ignoring the looks they received from the crew. Everyone seemed to be on edge, feeling the tension that stayed in the air. "The cameras have already seen you here and well, it'll be embarrassing if you disappear before the debate."

"Are you serious?" Anastasia spat out, scoffing as she shook her head. Even now, all Harvey cared about was what the public thought about him.

"Look, I spoke to Bruce already and he understands. He said he is okay with it, so why aren't you?" Harvey asked, stern with his tone. "This is only about getting me into the Mayor's seat and Hill out. Bruce understands that. It isn't personal, Ana. You know I care about both you and Bruce."

"Fine, whatever," Anatasia muttered, crossing her arms. "Just go get ready for the debate. Do your best to win. This is a discussion for another day."

Anastasia walked off, leaving Harvey alone to prepare. The security guards had warned her to stay close and not wander off, but she wasn't too worried with all the police outside. She found a quiet spot next to the curtains, watching people set up the podiums and doing sound checks. She could see how filled the seats were as everyone patiently waited for the debate to start. Anatasia took a seat on one of the storage boxes, relieved to have the pressure off her aching feet. She pulled out her phone from her purse, dialing Bruce's number. She half expected him to not pick up, but he surprised her by picking up on the first ring.

"Bruce?"

"Ana, hey," Bruce breathed out. She could tell he was in his car, but she wasn't sure where he was driving to. "Are you at the debate?"

"I am," Anastasia said, smiling at a few crew members as they walked by. "I heard about what Harvey did━━"

"You need to leave, now," Bruce interrupted, making her frown.

"What?" She asked. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Please don't question me, Ana. I just need you to leave," Bruce continued, speaking in sharp tones. "There's going to be an attack and I need you safe."

"Bruce, you're being ridiculous," Anastasia retorted, letting out a heavy sigh. She spotted both Harvey and Hill making their way toward the stage, allowing the crew to place mics onto them. "There's police everywhere. No one is getting in to do anything. I wouldn't worry."

"I don't care about the police." Bruce's tone was harsh, interrupting. It only worked to make Anastasia even more upset. "I need you to go home, please."

"The debate is starting, Bruce. I can't just go home," Anastasia scoffed, watching as the main lights began to dim and the stage lights turned on. She stood at the edge of the stage, behind the curtain. She was hidden from view, but she could see everything on stage and the crowd. "Where are you?"

"I'm close."

"You should come to the debate," Anastasia said. "Maybe then you'll see how the whole GCPD is here."

"Ana, I am not trying to argue━━"

"Yes, you are, Bruce!" Anastasia scoffed, lowering her tone to make sure no one on stage could hear her conversation with Bruce. The debate would start any minute. "I've had such a long day and you couldn't even bother to show up here. Or at least, give me a warning that you weren't going to be here! We're supposed to be partners, Bruce, but it feels... It feels like I have been going at all this alone."

"You're not alone, Ana," he said softly. "I'm here. I'm with you."

"That's not true, Bruce," Anastasia whispered, sniffling as she shook her head. She paced back and forth, grateful no one was around to see her emotions on full display. Everyone else scattered throughout, getting last minute preparations done. "I just... I just feel so alone, Bruce. I wish you were here."

"Ana, listen to me━━"

"No, you listen to me," she snapped, feeling her anger spike when she realized her words had gone over Bruce's head again. "I am so sick of you leaving me in the dark all the time. Do you think I don't notice how distant you've been? All the lies you've been telling me?"

"Ana━━"

"Every word that leaves your mouth is a lie!" Anastasia continued, clenching her hands into fists. "It's like I don't even know who you are anymore, Bruce."

"Ana, this isn't the time━━"

"When is it ever the right time with you?" She huffed, shaking her head. Her words caused Bruce to quiet down. Both of them didn't say a word, allowing the silence to settle.

Anastasia couldn't hear the car anymore, making her think that he had arrived where he needed to go. A part of her hoped that Bruce had come to the auditorium for the debate, but she doubted it. She wasn't sure what agreement that Bruce and Harvey had come to, but once again, she had been left in the dark. Her scrambling thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a scuffle and loud booms echoing. No one on stage had seemed to notice, but Anastasia could still hear them. In the backrooms, it was only the reporters and the candidates' teams. She frowned, noticing several people running out of the room. With a few steps closer, she could hear shouting.

"What's going on?" Bruce asked on the phone, hearing the same noises come through the speakers. "Ana?"

"I don't know," Anastasia whispered, turning the corner to peek into the room where all the shouting was coming from. A soft gasp left her lips as her eyes immediately landed on the bloody pile of bodies that laid in the corner of the room. It was the same police officers she had spoken to earlier, shot dead as their cloudy eyes stared numbly back. "Oh, my God, Bruce," she whispered softly, spotting armed men dressed in black and red with masks as they waved their guns around. "They're... They're dead. They're all dead!"

"Ana, you need to listen to me," Bruce immediately said, keeping his tone calm as she tried to catch her breath. She quickly backed away, not wanting to be spotted by the men as she tried to make her way to the front again. The back of the stage was dimly lit, making it hard for her to see as she stumbled around and followed the main stage lights that led to the front. She flinched every time the flashlight on the mens' guns swayed over her, but they had not spotted her yet. "Where are you?"

"Backstage," she whispered, trying to walk slowly so her heels wouldn't give away her position. She could see some of the men break off from the main group as they began to search for stranglers. She couldn't move, struggling to figure out what was the best next step. "What should I do, Bruce?"

"Hide," he answered. "Just stay out of sight. No matter what happens, you stay hidden, Ana. I need you safe."

Anastasia ducked behind the storage crates, trying to catch her breath as she kept the phone to her ear. Her hands trembled as she struggled to hold the phone, clinging to Bruce's voice on the other end. He reminded her to stay calm and that she would be fine if she remained hidden. I'll be there soon, he kept reminding her. But, she couldn't focus as she listened to the heavy footsteps approach. Anastasia squeezed her eyes shut, feeling a few rouge tears stream down her cheeks. "Bruce, if something happens," she whispered, "Just know that I will always love you. And, I'm sorry."

"Ana, nothing is going to happen," Bruce reassured, but even she could hear the crack in his voice. The both of them knew it was a possibility she may not survive the night. "I promise, I'll keep you safe. Just stay where you are, I'm coming."

She flinched, watching the man turn the corner as he pointed his gun at her head. She couldn't process Bruce's words anymore, staring at the barrel of the gun.

"Give me the phone," he said slowly. "Or I'll shoot."

She held up the phone, feeling her throat tighten as the man ripped it out of her hands. He crushed it effortlessly. Her eyes flickered to the state, watching as more men approached Harvey and Hill. There were gunmen everywhere, located at every corner. She was pulled up, being dragged toward the stage before pushed next to Harvey. The light illuminated her, making her flinch as she covered her eyes. Harvey immediately helped her, holding her close.

"So sorry, ladies and gents. As you might have guessed, there's been a change to tonight's program," a man said, wearing a metal penguin mask as he walked in front of the camera with armed thugs behind him. "First order of business," he said, raising his gun before shooting, "firing the moderator!"

Anastasia flinched, watching the man drop dead as the bullet buried itself deep within his head. Screams echoed throughout the auditorium as everyone tried to get to safety. She could only watch as the blood underneath the man, slowly creeping toward their feet. Her wide eyes met Harvey's.

"We need a new moderator!" Penguin shouted, looking around until his eyes landed on Anastasia. He chuckled, walking toward her as he twirled his handgun. "You'll do just fine, love."

"Get away from us!" Harvey snapped, getting in the middle of Penguin and Anastasia. He did not flinch at the barrel of the gun against his chest.

"Harvey, don't," Anastasia warned, pulling him back by his arm as she faced Penguin. She knew it was better to play Penguin's game since it meant they were more likely to survive.

"A budding romance, huh?" Penguin teased, tilting his head at Harvey. He looked to the cameras that were broadcasting everything to Gotham. "Fine, since I'm feeling nice. You can play the role of Dent's understudy."

He backed off, facing his men. There were other hostages on stage, being forced to kneel as guns remained aimed at their heads. Vicki Vale was dragged out by a tall man with dark blue skin, holding the woman by the neck as he threw her in front of Penguin.

He faced the cameras. "On the left, hard of heart, soft in gut, our down and dirty incumbent, Mayor Hill!" Penguin introduced, pointing his gun at Hill. "He'll be supported by Miss Vicki Vale with the Gotham Gazette!"

"What are we going to do, Harvey?" Anastasia whispered, clinging onto him as he stood behind the podium.

"Whatever happens, just stay behind me, okay?" He said softly, meeting her eyes. "I won't let them do anything to you, I promise."

"And on the right, always smiling to your face, our despicable DA, Harvey Dent! He's supported by Gotham's Princess, Anastasia Lovejoy-Wayne!"

"Look, Penguin," Harvey began, clenching his jaw. "We'll play your game. But, let all these innocent people go."

Penguin only laughed at the request, shaking his head. He addressed the crowd. "Alright, then! Questions, let's ask questions! Dent first!"

One of the reporters hesitantly stood, holding out a small tape recorder. "Uh... Mr. Dent... the subject on everyone's mind is the new Wayne Mental Health Facility..."

Harvey cleared his throat, sparing Anastasia a brief glance before he looked at the crowd and cameras again. "It's a much needed state-of-the-art mental health care hospital that will offer treatment for the most unfortunate of Gotham's citizens. With a sizable donation from the Waynes, the hospital is well on its way to being up and running by the end of next year."

"I told you I want the truth!" Penguin shouted, clearly irritated with Harvey's answer. His hands tightened on his handgun, shaking his head. "I don't want any of that startle on-message rubbish!"

"We had a d-deal," Mayor Hill began, causing everyone to turn in his direction. Anastasia could see the beads of sweat that covered the older man's skin as his hands dug into the wood of the podium. "I gave you what you wanted! Why are you still doing━━"

Penguin stomped over to him before he lifted his gun and hit Hill hard in the face. His nose began to bleed as he clutched in, gasping as he watched Penguin with wide eyes. "Save it for the opening statement, pillock!"

He began to circle around them. It made Anastasia feel on edge, trying her best to stare forward whenever Penguin got too close.

"Rule one! Talk when I say talk. Shut your gob when I say shut your gob. Easy, right?" Penguin began. "Rule two! Scratching, biting, kicking each other in the nads are all encouraged. Rule three! Always, always tell the truth. Even if it hurts. It'll hurt worse if you don't."

His mannerisms were familiar. It made Anastasia frown as she studied him, watching the way he waved his hands and chuckled. He loved the attention on him, thriving off the cameras and the people that cowered in fear. She could almost see his eyes on the other side of the mask, glinting with mischief.

Penguin gestured to the massive flatscreen display overhead. "Now, a word from our sponsor!"

The displays sparked to life. A masked figure showed on the television, speaking in a scrambled voice as they addressed all of them. "My downtrodden brothers and sisters of Gotham!" they began. "You have nothing to fear. We are the Children of Arkham."

The voice echoed throughout the auditorium, sending chills down Anastasia's spine as she spared Harvey a glance. His face had gone pale, uncomfortable as he gulped. She stood close, trying to take deep breaths to keep herself calm. It took everything in her not to look down at the dead body at their feet.

"We are here to end the masquerade and expose the corruption at the root in your city," the masked villain continued. "For too long, men like your esteemed mayor have profited from the pain of innocents. Look into the hearts of these spineless creatures, elected to lead."

Anastasia watched as Penguin held a gun to Vicki's head, forcing her to approach Hill with a syringe filled with a dark blue liquid. She injected it into his neck, watching as he shuddered. Penguin walked toward her and Harvey, holding out a similar syringe. His gun aimed at the two of them.

"If you would do the honors, Mrs. Wayne."

She hesitated, taking the syringe as she looked over it. The same injection that had been given to Sergeant Renee Montoya and it had caused her to murder Carmine Falcone in cold blood. She took a deep breath, fixating the needle over one of the veins in Harvey's neck. Her hand trembled as her breaths came out shaky.

"It's okay, Ana," Harvey reassured, nodding his head.

She nodded back, steadying her hand as she pushed the needle into his skin. She was gentle, injecting the liquid into his bloodstream. Harvey grunted, gripping the podium as he bared his teeth. He shook his head, trying to stay in control. His lips had turned a pale blue and the veins stood out against his pale skin.

"Candidates, take off your masks!" The figure on the screen continued to speak, chuckling darkly as they watched the effect take over both Harvey and Hill. "Show Gotham your true selves! Tell them what you really think about the city you pretend to love."

"First off, we should incinerate the poor!" Hill gritted out, narrowing his eyes as he stared into the cameras. His words caused gasps to echo throughout the crowd, but Anastasia stared at him numbly. His eyes were glazed over as the drug took its effect. "Lazy degenerates waiting for handouts because they can't be bothered to get a damn job."

"Dent?" Penguin added. "Do you have anything to say?"

"You really want to hear what I think?" Harvey began slowly, speaking in a deeper tone than he usually did. He faced Penguin, not addressing the cameras. Anastasia glanced toward Vicki, still being forced to stand beside Hill. Her face showed all signs of fear, but her eyes remained calm as she regarded the situation.

"Well?"

"Gotham is flawed, sure," Harvey muttered, clenching his jaw. "What city isn't? Its flaws are what makes it beautiful. The flaws are what drive me. I want to smooth over the cracks and make the city beautiful. It's not too late to save this city! To take it back from the corrupt politicians!"

"And what about the corrupt elite?" Penguin asked. For a moment, his eyes drifted to Anastasia. "The men and women whose fortunes are built on corpses? People like your friend, Bruce Wayne, and his wife. You're as bad as he is! Happy to look away from what you don't want to see."

"That's not true," Anastasia snapped, glaring at him. She knew exactly who it was underneath the mask. Oswald Cobblepot couldn't hide.

"Did I say you could speak?" He shouted, getting into her face. The metal of his mask touched her skin, but she did not flinch as she narrowed her eyes instead. For a brief moment, all the lights in the auditorium flickered. But, no one seemed to notice except for her.

Harvey pushed against Penguin, staying in between him and Anastasia. "You stay the fuck back."

"Tell us, Mr. Dent, how deep does your corruption run?" Penguin asked, chuckling as he aimed the gun at Dent instead. "What is your relation to this woman? Is she just the wife of your greatest friend? Or something more? What are you hiding?"

Harvey gulped, digging his nails into the podium as he tried to bite his tongue. "Ana is... Ana is one of my closest friends," he started off slowly. "She laughs at all my stupid jokes. She supports me in everything I do. She has always been there if I needed someone to talk to. I feel as if I don't need to wear a mask around her. I can be myself. And, somewhere along the way, I fell in love. I knew it was wrong, but I still love her more than anything."

Anastasia stared at him, feeling the tears stream down her face as the spotlight shined on the two of them. She cared about Harvey, yes. But, it wasn't love. Harvey deserved better. He deserved to love someone who was able to love him back. She could only hope that Bruce wasn't watching the debate, knowing it would hurt him too. It was a situation she didn't want to be a part of, but she had no choice.

It seemed as if Harvey had realized the words that were coming out of his mouth, staring at the wide eyes of the crowd. "But, it means nothing! I will never let my personal feelings come in the way of my dedication to Gotham!"

Penguin laughed. "See that, Gotham! Can you truly trust a man so willing to steal his best friend's wife? Imagine what he would do to Gotham? His closest friends can't trust him. Can we?"

"Yes, they can," Harvey gritted out, glaring at Penguin. "You can spin this however you'd like, but I love Gotham. I will always protect Gotham."

"And what about the money running your campaign?" Penguin pressed, tilting his head. "Is your dedication worth it if it comes from the darkest depths of Gotham?"

"W-What?"

Harvey's response only made Penguin chuckle as he took a step back. He spoke to someone hidden in the shadows. "Roll the tape!"

The displays flickered, switching to a video of a dimly lit hospital room. There were three men in the room and a woman strapped to a bed. Two of the men were easily recognizable, Thomas Wayne and Mayor Hamilton Hill. The last man was an orderly, standing to the side as he watched. The woman struggled against the restraints, pleading to be let go. Thomas Wayne's deep voice filled the auditorium as everyone silently watched the old tape.

"Subject nine... Esther Cobblepot..." Thomas began, holding up a clipboard as he approached the woman. "You have been declared criminally insane and committed to Arkham indefinitely as a ward of the state."

They all watched as Esther Cobblepot pleaded for her life, reminding Thomas Wayne that their children were close friends. She screamed how she was willing to sell him the land he wanted to build Wayne Tower. But, the three men only laughed.

A smirk was present on Thomas Wayne's lips as he looked at the orderly. "Give her a dose she won't come back from."

Hill looked visibly uncomfortable, gasping for air as he noticed all the eyes that watched him. He kept his head low as he shook, trembling in his spot. The whole crowd was in a state of shock, as was Anastasia to see such a display of wickedness. She had never expected to see such a thing about Thomas Wayne, especially not after how much Bruce doted on his late parents. But, Thomas Wayne had Esther Cobblepot lose her mind for land. It was his fault that Oswald had lost his wealth and spent most of his life fighting. She spared a glance in Penguin's direction, noticing how silent he had gone as he watched the tape.

The tape cut out, showing the masked figure from before. "Now you know! Now you will see!"

Before anyone could truly react to the tape, the auditorium doors were slammed open as the GCPD rushed inside. Their guns were drawn, shouting at everyone to get down. The Children of Arkham raised their machine guns and began to fire into the crowd. Gunfire echoed throughout the hall, louder than the screams of the people as they ran away from the carnage. Bodies began to pile as people were gunned down and trampled in the panic. Penguin tried to regain control, but he fell backward when Batman and Catwoman dropped from the rafters above. Batman slowly stood tall, jaw clenched as he approached Penguin.

"Batman!" Penguin exclaimed, jumping to his feet as he chuckled nervously. He immediately grabbed onto Vicki, using her as a shield as he pushed the gun into the back of her neck. "You certainly know how to make an entrance!"

Anastasia and Harvey clung together, watching as three of the Children of Arkham surrounded the two of them. They were unable to move, being kept on stage as the other hostages got away. She sighed a breath of relief, seeing that most of the crowd had escaped. But, there were too many casualties that could have been prevented. Lives that didn't need to be lost. The GCPD was slowly gaining control as they shot down Penguin's men. With Batman's help, Vicki had been able to escape Penguin's grasp. It left him defenseless. However, Batman wasn't able to reach Penguin when the large blue-skinned man tackled him to the ground and landed punch after punch. Catwoman tried her best to help him, but her attention was drawn by more Children of Arkham.

Harvey kept his arm extended, keeping Anastasia behind him as he faced the three men. "It's over," he said, narrowing his eyes. "Surrender to the GCPD."

"Shut up," one of the men spat out, raising his gun. However, they didn't shoot as they awaited orders from Penguin.

Penguin, on the other hand, was preoccupied by tormenting Hill. His gun aimed at the older man's head as he shouted at him for what he did to Esther Cobblepot. Hill pleaded for his life, on the verge of tears, as he repeatedly reminded how it was Thomas Wayne who destroyed Gotham. "I gave you everything I had!" Hill shouted, backing into the podium as he cowered from Penguin's gun. "I took out Thomas Wayne! I had him killed! Please, I know I've made mistakes but I have repented!"

"We have to help him," Anastasia whispered, looking up at Harvey. He held her hand, keeping her close. He spared her a glance back, conflicted on what he should do. "Penguin's going to kill him!"

Penguin was moments away from pulling the trigger. But, at the last moment, Harvey had rushed forward to help. The Children of Arkham tried to help, but avoided the spray of bullets in fear of hitting Penguin. Harvey wrestled Penguin for the gun, but he was knocked back. He fell to the ground, hitting his head against the ground. A groan left his lips as he clutched his head.

Anastasia rushed forward, ignoring the shouts of the gunmen. She kneeled beside Harvey, assessing his injuries. Blood dripped from where Penguin had hit him, Anastasia did her best to wipe it away with her sleeves. She tried to help Harvey, but the drug still affected him. He shook his head, taking in shaky breaths. Still, she held him close as she tried to get him to wake up. She knew they would be next. Anastasia looked up, watching as Penguin aimed his gun at Mayor Hill and fired four times.

Hill was shot twice in the chest and then twice in the head, making him drop to the ground as Penguin laughed. His blood was sprayed all over the podium, making Anastasia look away as she focused on Harvey. Penguin clapped his hands, turning to look at Anastasia as she held onto Harvey. He was barely conscious, watching with half-lidded eyes.

"Harvey, get up!" Anastasia pleaded, shaking him. However, Harvey did not respond as she cried softly. "Come on, please!"

Penguin approached, clicking his tongue as he shook his head. He reached down, grabbing her by the hair as he pulled her away from Harvey. She tried to pull away from his grasp, but he had a tight hold. Penguin forced her to stand, tilting his head. "Didn't I tell you that you'd regret not joining us, love?"

Anastasia was forced to face him, trying her best to ignore his sharp nails that raked against his scalp. Chaos ensued around them. Gunfire from the GCPD and the Children of Arkahm. Screams from the remaining hostages as they tried their best to get to safety. Harvey was knocked down, struggling to get up as he swayed with every step. Death lingered in the auditorium, their ghosts trapped within the walls. Batman continued to fight. And, so did Catwoman as they tried to protect one another. It was just her and Penguin. She could see his cold eyes behind the glass of the mask. His hatred burned through. Perhaps, not for her. But, his hatred for the Waynes was something that kept striking her. She could feel it deep in her heart as she stared at him.

"Please," She began slowly, taking a deep breath to control her overwhelming emotions. She didn't want to cry. Not in front of him, knowing it would only fuel his entertainment. "You don't have to do this, Oswald."

"Oh, but I do," Penguin said, holding her close. She could smell his cologne that mixed with the strong scent of liquor. "Perhaps, consider this payback? Bruce's family took everything from me. And, now, I'll take everything from him. An eye for an eye, after all."

"Bruce didn't take anything from you," Anastasia reminded, shaking her head. It had not been Bruce who had ruined Oswald's life. It had been Thomas Wayne.

"Maybe not, but I'm taking back everything I lost," Penguin whispered, shrugging his shoulders. "I'll start with you, Anastasia. Then, I'll take Bruce's company. His money, his house, his life. It all should have been mine."

She heard the gunshots before she felt them, causing her ears to ring. She blinked. Once, then twice, before she found the courage to look down at the red that began to stain the whites of her dress. No one talked about how much it burned when a bullet ripped through your skin, through the veins, and finally, settled deep within your organs. She wasn't sure if the bullet had gone through her or made a home within her abdomen. After all, she couldn't feel anything as numbness from the shock took over. She stumbled back as Penguin let go of her, allowing her to press her hands against her newfound wounds as blood seeped through the cracks of her fingers.

"You got blood on my suit," Penguin muttered bitterly, shaking his head as he clicked his tongue. He pushed her back, causing her to lose her footing as she hit the ground. "Goodbye, love. It was a jolly time knowing you! Can't wait to see the look on dear old Bruce's face at the funeral!"

He disappeared from view, leaving Anastasia to gasp for air as she stared up at the stage lights. They swayed, flickering in and out. She couldn't help her mind from drifting. Her vision was filled with memories of the past, some she recognized others she couldn't. Her mother's contagious smile, her father's love of cooking, Bruce's warm embraces, Alfred's fatherly advices, Laura's unwavering support, and Harvey's lame jokes that always made her laugh. It was said that your life flashes before your eyes when death approaches.

Anastasia didn't know how much time had passed. It felt like hours, but it could realistically have only been a few moments when she heard footsteps approaching. Batman rushed over, falling to his knees as he scooped her into his arms. She gasped, feeling the pain deep within her abdomen. The pain was making its presence known, making her cry as she stared up at Batman. She clung onto him, trying to get her eyes to focus. His mask was broken, showing off one of his blue eyes. His eyes... They looked so familiar.

"You've lost too much blood, stay still," Batman ordered, voice cracking as he tried to find the wounds somewhere behind the blood-drenched dress. He used one of his batarangs to cut open the dress to assess her wounds, trying to figure out how to help her.

Her breaths were slow, each one painful and she could only assume one of the bullets had hit her lung. Everything sounded so far away. She could barely register what Batman was doing as she stared numbly at him. She could hear more gunshots going off, causing a soft whimper to leave her lips. She hoped Harvey was okay, wondering if Penguin had shot him too. She hissed, feeling his hands on her abdomen. It hurt whenever his gloved hands brushed against the wounds.

"Bruce..." She whispered slowly, eyes wandering as she tried to catch a glimpse of him in the crowd. He said he was coming. He was close by, it was what he had told her. She hoped he hadn't been caught in the gunfire. Anastasia couldn't live without him, especially if something had happened to him because of her.

For a moment, Batman looked at her. He was inches away from her face, allowing her to see his tear-stained cheeks. He took her hand, giving it a tight squeeze. "I'm here. Just hold on, Ana."

A faint chuckle left her lips as she closed her eyes, unable to find the strength to keep them open. "It's a good thing you were never very punctual. Or else you would have been killed too."

"Don't move," Batman said softly. It was as if the commotion around them no longer existed. He only cared about saving Anastasia's life. "I need to stop the bleeding."

"If I die tonight, will you tell him that I love him?" Anastasia whispered, placing a gentle hand on top of his gloved one.

Batman frowned, continuing to work. She could feel the numbness start to begin as her clothing became soaked with blood. It pooled underneath her, dripping onto the stage as he worked.

Anastasia slowly opened her eyes, unable to see Batman anymore. No, instead, it was Bruce that was kneeled beside her. His eyes wide as he held onto her. The black and white suit he wore was drenched in blood, but she still recognized it from their wedding day. She slowly reached forward, placing a bloodstained hand against his cheek. She smiled weakly. "I love you, Bruce."

"He knows you love him," Batman reassured, making her frown as her vision flickered between the Dark Knight and her husband. She couldn't focus, staring at his lips as she tried to figure out what he was saying. "Now let me help you."

Anastasia frowned, shaking her head as she tried to get her mind to focus. "...Batman?"

"This is going to hurt, I'm sorry," he whispered, hovering his gloved hand over the bullet wounds as the tips of his fingers glowed a bright red.

Before she could say another word, a hot burning sensation replaced the numbness. She screamed, clinging onto him as her nails dug into his suit. He cauterized the wounds, making sure she wouldn't bleed out. He held her close, whispering words she could not hear as she drifted in and out of consciousness. Finally, he stopped as he looked over the wounds to make sure they weren't bleeding anymore. Anastasia couldn't find the energy to scream, barely making a sound as she sobbed. But, she could hear screaming that didn't belong to her, causing Batman to look up too.

She didn't register the soft kiss he placed against her forehead as she closed her eyes. Gently, he laid her down before he rushed off to help Catwoman. She was only a few feet away, fighting off the Children of Arkham that approached. But, Anastasia's attention was caught by Harvey's pained screams. She slowly looked in his direction, watching as Penguin slammed a spotlight into the side of his face. The smell of burning flesh filled the air, making her softly say Harvey's name as his screams echoed in her mind. Penguin ran off while Harvey sobbed, clutching the side of his face. It was the last thing she saw before the darkness completely closed in. But, her eyes were still open as she watched all the lights flicker rapidly before disappearing.

No one surrounded her. She was alone as she gasped for air. Dark vines surrounded her, starting to entangle with her limbs as they kept her in place. Spores lingered in the air, floating around as they filled the auditorium. Her eyes tried to make sense of the darkness, flinching when red lightning flashed across the skies. Red illuminated the stage for a moment, light coming from the overheard massive glass windows. But then, the darkness settled again. She could hear footsteps approaching, but she didn't have the strength to turn her head to look. The last thing she heard before exhaustion took over was a click of a tongue before the person spoke.

"Anastasia, I hoped we would be seeing each other under better circumstances."

I SPENT THE WHOLE DAY WORKING ON THIS CHAPTER, finishing it at around midnight and then I went to bed. So, I haven't edited this too closely and I don't think I want to. It is over 8000 words when the rough draft of this chapter was only 3500. So, I added a lot in the second and third draft. A lot happened in this chapter, but also not a lot happened. I knew the debate was going to be hard to write and it really was. I still don't like this chapter, but I decided to just publish it and keep going!

I think we got a good mix of all the characters in this chapter, but it was focused mostly on Anastasia. I think the next chapter should still be from Bruce's point of view, but I'm not completely sure. I'll see! I think Eric and Laura will be making an appearance too, but everything is up in the air because I am not too sure what we're going to do. But, this chapter is the end of episode two in the Telltale series. Now, we'll be going more into Anastasia's plotline since I think this is the best place to put it. I will start to weave it slowly into the Telltale plot and hopefully everything works out.

I really enjoy writing Batman and Ana's scenes! They are so much fun and I can't wait to write more. I do adore Harvey and Ana, so there will most likely be a spin-off for them. But, it takes place in an AU so it won't connect back to this book 100%. I have another Bruce Wayne book coming out based on the Arkham games. Other than that, no news! I plan on reviving my Marvel series soon too, so expect a lot of updates for those books! I want to release all my drafts one day. I have like 90 drafts, so we'll see. Because I might not even have time to work on all those books. But, it'll be fun!

Anyways, I hope the next chapter will be out soon! But, I am not too sure since I don't have much of anything planned. So, I need to wait for ideas to hit first then I can get to writing! But, it's already July and this year is going by so fast! I want to get out another chapter this month, but we'll see how things go!

AMARA.
[ PUBLISH DATE ━━ 07.01.2022 ]

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro