[ 13 ] the search for serenity

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS
xiii. THE SEARCH FOR SERENITY
❝NOTHING LASTS FOREVER.❞

ALFRED PENNYWORTH GREETED THEM AS THEY WALKED THROUGH THE DOORS, beaming as he held the door open to welcome them into the warmth of the manor. Anastasia returned the smile, welcoming the greeting as Alfred embraced her. He was gentle, holding her close as he stroked her hair. He was careful not to knock over the oxygen cart, holding the tank that was provided to them by the hospital. It had been terrifying at first for Anastasia, but she quickly realized that it wasn't as daunting as it looked. She could handle a month of being on oxygen, then she only needed it when she slept. After three months, she should be able to abandon it completely if everything healed on track.

"Happy to see you home safely, my Lady," Alfred said, pulling away from the embrace. A small smile remained on his features. It was always sweet to see how much Alfred cared. He took a step back, regarding both her and Bruce. "You gave us all a fright."

"Glad to be home," Anastasia said, looking around the manor for a brief moment. She pulled on the small cart, moving deeper into the hall. It wasn't too heavy, but she could see herself getting tired of it rather quickly. Bruce held her arm, allowing her to lean on him if she needed help. She stifled a yawn, looking back at both Alfred and Bruce. The hospital hadn't released them till late as they got all the paperwork ready. It was nearly nine o'clock and they had suggested for her to stay another night, but she would rather sleep in her own bed.

"Shall I serve dinner?" Alfred asked, following close behind. "I've made your favorite, Lady Anastasia. Lasagna, your mother's recipe tonight. And, for dessert, strawberry cake. I have also bought pints of your favorite ice cream if you're craving something colder."

Anastasia gave an apologetic smile. "I'm not hungry, Alfred. But, thank you."

"Well, alright, you can always eat them tomorrow," Alfred said, nodding his head as the smile remained. He didn't seem upset at Anastasia's refusal to eat, but she felt nausea after all the medication at the hospital. She could tell she was still feeling the effects of the painkillers, but they were starting to wear off. "Do let me know if there's anything either of you need. I'll leave you two to rest."

"Thank you, Alfred," Bruce said softly, nodding his head at the older man. It seemed their relationship had improved over the last week. Anastasia recalled how they argued with one another the last time she had seen them together, knowing Bruce had been upset at Alfred for hiding the truth about his parents.

The stairs were daunting, making Anastasia wonder if they had grown twice in size. Bruce offered to carry her up the stairs, but she had refused. She didn't want to rely on him too much, knowing he wouldn't always be there to carry her up and down the staircase. So, they slowly went up the grand staircase. One step at a time, taking a break every fifth step. Anastasia could feel her arm cramp at how often she lifted the oxygen tank. Bruce walked alongside, making sure she wouldn't lose her balance. He held his hands out, guiding her. Eventually, they had made it to the top and Anastasia smiled in triumph.

"Beat the stairs," She chuckled, heading toward their bedroom. "Feel like I've run a marathon."

Bruce shook his head, trying to hide his amusement. "You are too stubborn for your own good."

He opened their bedroom doors, turning the light on. It was cold in the room, making her frown. Everything looked untouched. Anastasia could see the makeup she used for the debate still out. Her slippers were still on her side of the bed, one of them still upside down since she had taken them off in such a hurry to put her heels on. She could still see the other dresses that had been worthy contenders for the debate that still were laid out on her chair. She faced Bruce, but he didn't say anything as he moved toward the curtains to pull them back. The moon and stars stared back at them, but he kept the balcony doors shut to keep out the cold.

He looked back at her, giving her a small smile. "Do you need anything?"

Anastasia shook her head, clasping her hands together. But, then she was reminded of the fact that she hasn't washed her hair since the debate. The nurses had given her a shower at the hospital after she had woken up, thankfully. They had taught her how to shower without irritating her wounds, but she quickly realized how much it hurt to raise her arms and how the slightest bump meant sharp pains. "I think I want to wash my hair."

"We shouldn't get your wounds wet, Ana," Bruce said softly, shaking his head.

She huffed, placing a hand against her hip. "I haven't washed my hair in almost a week, Bruce. I'll be fine, I'll wrap up the bandages if I need to."

Bruce smiled, nodding his head since he knew there was no changing Anastasia's mind. "Alright, just hang tight, darling. I'll go grab some wrap from the kitchen."

Anastasia watched him leave, allowing her to have a few moments to herself. Bruce hadn't left her side at the hospital and when he wasn't there, the nurses were hovering over her to run their tests. It felt peaceful to have even a few moments. A sigh left her lips, heading to the vanity table. She began to put everything away, wanting to tidy up the room. Next, she hung her dresses back up in the closet. Finally, she placed her slippers in the built-in display in the closet. She couldn't help but think back to the night of the debate, remembering how slowly she had gotten ready. She should have stayed in bed that day. It had easily been the worst day of her life.

She walked toward the bathroom, facing her reflection in the bright lights. The nasal cannula dried the skin around her nose, making her sniffle. The doctor said she needed to get used to it, but all she wanted to do was take it out. Anastasia messed with it, turning off the tank before slowly taking the tube out of her nose. For a moment, she didn't dare breathe. Until she took a slow breath and then slowly exhaled. There was an ache deep within her chest, but it wasn't unbearable. Great, so now she knew she wouldn't instantly die if she accidently pulled it out. Having to focus on taking slow breaths wasn't the most comfortable feeling. It made Anastasia regret every time she took breathing for granted. Next, she focused on unbuttoning her top. Her wounds were still wrapped and she didn't touch them, deciding it would be best to wrap them more before she took a shower. Then later, she'd replace them completely with fresh ones.

"Hey, I have the wrap."

Anastasia jumped, facing Bruce who stood in the hall that connected the bedroom to their bathroom. She frowned, lowering her hand from her chest. "Don't sneak up like that, Bruce. Almost gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry," Bruce said softly, giving her a smile as he approached. He helped her take the top off, making her take a sharp breath as the cold spread goosebumps across her skin. Bruce came up behind her, urging her to lift her arms enough for him to wrap the thin plastic wrap around her abdomen to make sure the bandages were covered completely. He was extremely gentle, careful not to bump into her wounds. She watched him through her lashes, noticing how focused his gaze was. "There," he mumbled, meeting her eyes. "It should keep the water from touching your wounds, but we should still be careful."

"Oh, I can shower on my own, Bruce," Anastasia said, brushing off his request to help. It already felt so strange to have Bruce by her side all day, considering he was always too busy.

"Are... Are you sure?" He asked. His tone was gentle, on the edge of concern without trying to seem overbearing. "I can help if you need it."

Anastasia chewed on the inside of her cheek, watching him as she thought about it. She knew she wouldn't be able to lift her arms high enough to wash her hair without causing her side to hurt. So, she giggled as she smiled. "Alright, fine, I do need help washing my hair," She agreed, urging him to follow her toward the walk-in shower. She undressed completely, taking Bruce's hand to keep her balance. He turned on the shower first, keeping the pressure on low as they waited the few moments it took for the water to heat. "At least, showering with you is a lot less awkward than with the two nurses. I think I was blushing the whole time."

Bruce smiled, sparing her a glance as his hand tested the water to make sure it was the right temperature. It had happened when he had left briefly to collect Anastasia a change of clothes, having to leave for an hour or so. It had taken a lot of coaxing to get him to leave since he blatantly refused to leave her side.

With Bruce's help, she took a step inside. Anastasia shivered despite how hot the water was, feeling her skin burn as it chased away the cold.

Bruce stayed outside the shower, rolling up his sleeves as he reached for the detachable showerhead. It caused the water to switch from the overhead rainfall to the showerhead. She watched him carefully, allowing him to completely soak her hair. Fortunately, the wrap worked since she couldn't feel a drop of water against her abdomen. Once he was satisfied, he placed the showerhead back and took her favorite shampoo. He squeezed a decent amount into the palm of his hands before he began to massage it into her scalp. As always, he was gentle as he made sure not to tangle her hair. Anastasia closed her eyes, letting out a content sigh.

"Deep breaths, relax your shoulders," Bruce whispered softly, making her smile as she kept her eyes closed. His hands had drifted to the nape of her neck, massaging the muscles to take away the tension that had been building up over the past few weeks. "Don't want to overwork your lungs."

"Have I told you how much I love you, Bruce?" Anastasia said, sparing him a glance back as she smiled at him. She didn't miss the playful smile that appeared on his lips as he met her gaze.

He shrugged his shoulders, moving forward to place a gentle kiss against the crook of her neck. "Not nearly enough."

"Well," she said slowly, turning around to face him. From the spray of the showerhead, most of his shirt had gotten wet but he didn't seem to mind as he smiled at her. She leaned forward, placing a chaste kiss against his lips. "I love you, Bruce."

He smiled, taking the showerhead again to rinse out the soap from her hair. It made her close her eyes as the soap ran over her skin. His voice was quiet, barely audible over the sound of the water. She couldn't help but hear the sadness that lingered in his tone. "Not as much as I love you, Ana."

After they had conditioned her hair and finished washing up, Bruce had grabbed a pink towel to wrap around Anastasia's shivering form. The shower had helped tremendously, making Anastasia feel a lot more comfortable. But, she felt out of breath. He helped her out of the shower, brushing her hair as she continued to dry herself off. She felt a little dizzy, leaning against the counter as Bruce turned the oxygen tank back on. Gently, he placed the nasal cannula back into her nose. She took a few deep breaths, feeling relieved at the oxygen that entered her lungs. Her hands shook, something Bruce noticed as he helped her put on a loose silk robe. Though, he didn't tie it yet since she still needed to get her wounds redressed.

She took a deep breath, allowing him to lead her into the bedroom where he helped her take a seat at the vanity. She forced a smile to her lips, looking up at him. "I didn't die, so great news."

"It'll take some time to get used to," Bruce said, taking her hands in his own. He gave them a light squeeze, lifting one of them to place a kiss against it. He kneeled in front of her. "Alright, we're almost done. Just need to redress the wounds, okay?"

Anastasia nodded, watching him grab a pair of scissors from one of the vanity's drawers. He worked slowly, cutting open the wrapping before he attempted to cut open the bandages. He was quiet as he worked, cleaning the wounds before applying a medicinal paste against them. Her nose wrinkled, facing the heavy stitches and the mostly healed burns left behind as reminders of the debate.

"Those are going to leave such ugly scars," she mumbled quietly, letting out a heavy sigh.

Bruce gave her a small smile, meeting her eyes. "You're beautiful, always."

Anastasia sighed inwardly, not knowing what to say to him. Of course Bruce would tell her she was still beautiful. He was her husband. But, Anastasia wasn't sure how she felt about the scars yet. Perhaps, they would look cool and make her seem tough. But, they were wicked reminders of what had happened at the debate. It made her feel sick, starting to remember more and more of the night. It was strange, considering she was sure she would have forgotten everything that had happened since her memory issues seemed to be worsening. But, she remembered everything.

"You're healing nicely," Bruce said, bringing her out of her thoughts as he examined the wounds. She frowned, giving them a second glance. There was minimal redness around her stitches, fortunately. "No signs of infection."

"That's good," Anastasia mumbled quietly, focusing on taking slow breaths as she looked away from him.

He had begun to rewrap her wounds using fresh bandages, making sure they weren't too tight. Anastasia stared at her reflection instead. She looked so... tired. Despite the week she had been spent mostly asleep, her dark circles looked the worst they ever had. Her face seemed as if it had sunk and it may be due to the fact she had lost some weight. It was all the medication that the doctors had given her, making her feel better yet worse both at the same time. She hoped she would heal fast, wanting to get back to "normal" as soon as possible. But, so much had changed after the debate, she was sure Gotham would never look at her the same either. They already hated Bruce, considering his name was slandered more and more everyday in the media. More allegations against his family were arising from the shadows and after that video of Esther Cobblepot, everyone had their proof. She wanted to bring it up to Bruce, ask him how he was doing. But, she didn't want to upset him. It was often that Bruce shut out his feelings and hid his true self from the world. It would be no different this time.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Anastasia replied, meeting Bruce's concerned gaze as he tied up the robe. They were finally done and Anastasia could feel the exhaustion from the long day start to set in. He had a hand on her knee, giving it a small squeeze. She brushed off his concern, placing a hand on top of his. "I'm just tired, Bruce. I want to sleep."

"You don't want to have dinner?"

Anastasia frowned, shaking her head. "No, I'm not very hungry."

His expression mirrored her own. "Ana, you need to eat something to keep up your energy," he said softly, giving her knee another squeeze. "You haven't eaten all day and you can't take your medication without food. Doctor's orders."

She smiled. "Bruce, I'll be fine."

"It's going to upset your stomach if you take the medication without food," Bruce said, more sternly this time. It made her smile widen, making her shrug her shoulders.

"Okay, fine," She said, tilting her head. "I'll eat something. But, nothing too heavy?"

"I'll grab you something from the kitchen. I'm sure Alfred can come up with something light." Bruce nodded, standing to his feet. He placed a hand on her cheek, leaning down to place a kiss against her forehead.

Then, he left the room.

Anastasia hummed, tapping her foot against the ground. She couldn't help her thoughts from wandering as she remembered the day of the debate. She had met up with Doctor Franklin at Franklin Crematorium, someone who supposedly was very close to both Thomas Wayne and William Lovejoy. He had done both of their autopsies and he had done her mother's, claiming she had died from surgery complications that Thomas Wayne carried out. She had found encrypted files on his computer which she had emailed herself while Doctor Franklin had stepped out. Then, mysteriously, he stabbed himself close to death. His daughter, Olivia Franklin, had called the police and she had been taken in for questioning.

Fortunately, she had come across Harvey who had led her to where Bruce and Carmine Falcone were having a chat. He had said questionable things, saying her father had died in a hit ordered by him. But, it wasn't the truth. Anastasia knew, deep down, that Falcone had nothing to do with her father's death. Even if she couldn't remember, she could tell that Falcone was lying. But, she would never learn the truth from him since Sergeant Renee Montoya had come in and shot him. But, her actions had not been her own since she had been drugged by (most likely) someone in the Children of Arkham. She vaguely remembered seeing Vicki Vale at the police station, but Bruce had dismissed all her questions. After that, Anastasia had gone to work and attempted to unlock the files. She had enlisted the help of Eric Sato in I.T. and somehow, by pure coincidence or the will of the Universe, his father Masashi Sato had been involved. She remembered promising Eric and Laura that she would meet them after the debate, but that hadn't happened since she had landed in the hospital. The debate, itself, was an event that she wanted to forget, but it still flashed before her eyes whenever she closed her eyes.

Her eyes flickered to Bruce's phone that he had left on the vanity table. Since her phone had been broken at the debate, she decided to use his. She opened up the phone app. Fortunately, she still had the sticky note with Eric's number that he had given her. She dialed it, listening to it ring for a few moments. But, it went straight to voicemail. She tried a few more times, but each time, it would ring and then go to voicemail. She huffed, letting out a heavy sigh. It had been almost a week and she hoped the files had been unlocked by now, wanting to know all the secrets that it held. However, it seemed as if Eric wasn't replying. Though, it was quite late at night so she didn't question it too much.

Bruce's phone buzzed in her hand, making her look down at the message that popped up from Lucius. She couldn't help but open his messages out of curiosity. She found some from herself, Harvey, Alfred, Lucius and a handful of others. Bruce wasn't a big texter, apparently. The only person he regularly texted was herself (and she barely ever got a response from him) and Alfred. Most of Alfred's recent messages were him asking Bruce for updates on her condition, making her smile. But then, she noticed that he had messages that he shared with Selina Kyle ━━ Harvey's girlfriend (if she could even call her that). There were only a few. The oldest one was from the night of the debate.

BRUCE.
I need to talk to you. Urgently.

Selina's reply had been almost instantaneous.

SELINA.
Stacked Deck. 6PM.
No capes.

Anastasia frowned. She remembered that night. They had been coaching Harvey for the debate until Selina had gotten a text and she had left abruptly. Why were Bruce and Selina meeting in bars? She wondered what they had talked about. And, what Selina meant by 'No capes'. Was it some kind of code she didn't understand? She knew that Bruce and Alfred spoke in codes too. They always assumed she didn't notice, but it was too obvious that their words always had a double meaning when she was around. That was the end of their conversation that night, probably since they had continued it at the Stacked Deck. The most recent text was from two days ago caused anger to flare within Anastasia.

SELINA.
Thanks for letting me crash at
the manor for a few days.
Don't be surprised if you find a
few of your wife's jewelry missing.

Bruce hadn't replied to the message. But, it still made her upset that Selina had stayed in her home while she was at the hospital. And, if she had stolen jewelry from her, then she must have been in her bedroom. She looked around the room, feeling a sense of dread. But, she tried not to overthink it. Perhaps, it was nothing. She could have needed a place to crash, especially since she was new to Gotham. Something could have happened. After all, Selina had mentioned that her job was dangerous and that her clients weren't ones to cross. But, she wondered why Bruce hadn't brought it up to her. But, she decided it would be best to trust Bruce.

Since Bruce wasn't back yet, she decided to dial Laura's number. She wanted to know how things were going down at the office and perhaps, Laura had more information about the files.

Laura picked up on the first ring. "Mr. Wayne? Hello, how can I help?" Laura asked. Her voice sounded tired, maybe Anastasia had woken her up and it made her feel guilty. Perhaps, this all could have waited till the morning. Laura spoke again when Anastasia had stayed silent. "Hello?"

"Laura, hey, it's me, Ana," she said softly, leaning back in the chair. It had been a while since she had seen Laura, but Bruce had told her that she visited often when she was in the hospital. Apparently, Laura came every morning and brought breakfast for Bruce. Laura Moretti was too sweet, caring more than anyone else would. "How are you?"

"I'm okay! I got home a little bit ago and just finished dinner," Laura replied. She could hear her moving around dishes in the background. "How are you, though? I visited you in the hospital, but Mr. Wayne said they had you on heavy medication."

"Oh, yeah," Anastasia mumbled, letting out a heavy sigh. "I'm fine, just got released from the hospital tonight. It feels good to be in my own bedroom."

Laura chuckled. "I bet. Nothing beats being at home, wrapped up in your blankets with your favorite snacks while watching reruns of your favorite show."

Anastasia smiled, nodding her head. She wished she had more days like that where she could do nothing but enjoy her time and rest. "That sounds like a perfect way to spend a day."

"I am sorry about what happened at the debate," Laura said softly, causing a soft sigh to leave Anastasia's lips. "Eric and I were waiting at the office, wondering where you were. Then, we saw the news."

Anastasia gulped, clearing her throat as she tried not to think about what the media was saying about the debate. Gotham was in flames, considering the Children of Arkham wreaked havoc wherever they went. She hoped Harvey was doing everything he could to find them. "Have you spoken to Eric? About the files?"

"I haven't spoken to him since the night of the debate," Laura confessed, making Anastasia frown. "I met with him that night and we looked over some of the files. It's some... scary shit. We didn't dare look through it any further. So, we decided to wait for you till we found out what happened. Eric took the laptop home. All the files are on it."

"I tried to call him, but it went straight to voicemail."

Laura hummed. "I think he's sick. He hasn't been at work since the night of the debate. I checked with his manager, Jacinda."

"I thought the files were on my computer too?" Anastasia asked, crossing her arms slightly as she could feel herself slowly start to feel anxious. She trusted Eric, of course. But, it was strange that he had been M.I.A. for almost a week. She hoped he was okay, not knowing what he was sick with. As the colder season approached, more people were prone to getting sick.

"I tried checking your computer, but they didn't have the files," Laura replied. "I think all the files were copied onto his laptop so he could keep decrypting it without having to be in your office."

"Oh, I see," Anastasia mumbled, biting her lip as she tried to think of what they could do. It was important that they look through the file, try to find out more of what had killed her father and what had happened to the Lovejoy Hotel. Not only that, but that file held secrets about what had happened at Arkham Asylum. And after what had happened at the debate, she was sure that the files had more clues. "So, Eric's out sick?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Do we have his address?" Anastasia asked. "We could pick up his laptop, or just look at the files there at his apartment with him."

"We don't have his address yet," Laura said, "but I can get it. I'm sure it's in the database at work. With your administrative access, we can see all the information about everything and everyone at Wayne Enterprises."

"Okay, perfect," Anastasia said, nodding to herself. "We can visit him tomorrow."

A small sigh was heard on the other end of the line. "Shouldn't you be resting? I can go alone."

"No, I'll come with you just in case," Anastasia countered, knowing she couldn't rest till she had the files back with her. She needed them to learn the truth. She looked out the bedroom door, not seeing a sign of Bruce yet. "So, tomorrow? Around six in the afternoon?"

"Okay," Laura agreed, "I'll dig up his address at work."

"Everything's fine down at the office?"

"Yeah, it's been okay," Laura mumbled. Anastasia could almost see the woman shrug her shoulders, swaying back and forth on the balls of her feet. "Regina has been helping out in your and Bruce's absence."

"Okay, good," Anastasia hummed, grateful that Regina was able to step in and help out the girls at work. The workload could become daunting when she wasn't there, considering most of it fell on her to complete. She frowned, hearing footsteps outside the door. "I have to go, Laura. I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you then."

Anastasia hung up, placing the phone down in time to see Bruce walk into the room with a small ceramic bowl in his hands. She gave him a smile, nodding at him as he approached.

"Who were you talking to?" Bruce asked as he looked at his phone, making her frown at the fact that he immediately knew she had used it. He handed her the bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and strawberries on top. It was all chopped up into manageable pieces, but even then, Anastasia was unsure if she would be able to finish it all. But, thankfully, Alfred had prepared something light.

"Laura," Anastasia cleared her throat, taking the bowl from him as she walked toward the bed. She dragged the oxygen tank next to the bed, making sure it wasn't in the way where she would accidentally trip over it. She took a seat, getting under the blankets. "It was just about work, nothing else."

He nodded, watching her as he picked up his phone. For a moment, he looked through it but didn't say anything as he put it on the charger. "You don't need to worry about that, Ana. Just focus on resting up. Work can wait."

"Yeah," Anastasia nodded, taking a spoonful of the oatmeal. It tasted bland if she was being honest, but it didn't overwhelm her tastebuds either fortunately. "She said everything is going great, thankfully."

Bruce hummed, sparing a glance in her direction. He seemed preoccupied, rapidly texting someone on his phone. She could only assume it was Lucius, considering he had been the one to text Bruce before she had made her calls. She wished she had her own phone, making her realize how reliant she was to it. It seemed as if Bruce had read her thoughts. "I'll get you a new phone by this morning," he said, giving her a warm smile. "I know how addicted you are to that thing."

Anastasia scoffed, taking another spoonful of the oatmeal. She enjoyed the blueberries the most, grateful that they were more sweet than sour. "I wouldn't go that far."

Bruce hummed in response, shooting her a wink before he gave her a smile. She never realized how rehearsed Bruce's actions were, making her see cracks in his facade. He tried to play the role of carefree billionaire turned loving husband, but there was always something underneath. His mask started to crack more and more as the pressure on him continued. She only wished he would allow her to help him.

She cleared her throat, drawing Bruce's attention away from the phone (even if it was only for a moment). "Bruce, I wanted to ask you something."

He continued to text, but he nodded to show that he was listening. "Anything, Anastasia."

For a moment, she played with the fruit in her bowl as she tried to build the courage to ask him the question she wanted answered. She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep if she allowed it to linger in the back of her head. Taking a deep breath, Anastasia mustered up the courage as she stared at him. "Why did you meet up with Selina Kyle at the Stacked Deck?" She asked, chewing the inside of her cheek. "And, why did she stay at the manor?"

Bruce paused. It caused a certain tension to enter the room as she continued to watch him. The blue light from the phone illuminated his features, unwavering as not a single emotion expressed on his features. "It happened the night of the debate," Bruce sighed, turning off his phone as he faced her. "Do you remember when Selina mentioned her job at the café? About how the documents she needed for her clients were stolen during a mugging?"

Anastasia thought back to the 'double date' at the café, remembering the unpleasant words that Selina had to say about her client. She recalled that Selina had called her clients aggressive when they didn't get what they wanted. "Yeah," Anastasia mumbled, nodding her head. "I remember that."

"Well, through my contacts, I was able to find out that Selina's client was actually Penguin," Bruce mumbled, careful saying the man's name as if not to upset Anastasia. She frowned, being reminded of the hatred she felt for Oswald Cobblepot and what he had done. "I met up with her to tell her about Penguin and how her life might be in danger. Of course, she didn't believe me. After the debate, someone broke into her apartment."

"Oh, my God," Anastasia whispered, shaking her head as she looked away from Bruce. Selina had seen enough terror in Gotham for someone who had only been there for such a short amount of time. It reminded her that Gotham was a dangerous place and she was lucky to be in the safety of the manor.

"Selina was able to fight them off," Bruce continued, placing his hands into the pockets of his dress pants. He still hadn't changed into a pair of pajamas, making him look as if he was dressed to go to a business meeting. "But, she was afraid to stay at her apartment. Since Harvey was in the hospital, she didn't know who else to call except me. I told her she could stay in the manor until she felt safe enough to return home. As for the jewelry comment, I checked and she didn't actually take anything."

Anastasia suddenly felt guilty for going through Bruce's messages, knowing she should have trusted him from the start. She sighed heavily, leaving the spoon in the half-eaten bowl of oatmeal as she set it on the side table. "I'm sorry that I went through your messages," she confessed, silently reminding herself that they weren't teenagers and that Bruce wasn't an "on-and-off" boyfriend. He was her husband and they had vowed to be together till death do them part. "I suppose I took the messages out of context. My mind must have thought that 'no capes' was some kind of code for... something else."

Bruce laughed, shaking his head. It made Anastasia's skin burn as she flushed red, scoffing as she looked away from him. "Ana, it's fine, really," he said. "I'm glad you asked me instead of keeping it bottled up. I'd rather you talk to me if you're ever having any doubts because I'd be more than happy to remind you how much I love only you."

She sighed, shaking her head. "As always, you are perfect, Bruce."

He gave her a smile, telling her to finish her oatmeal despite her complaints. While she reluctantly finished her food, Bruce prepped her medication for the night. She watched with a frown as he pulled out eight different medications from the paper bag that the pharmacist had handed them, reading the directions for all of them. It had taken him a few minutes, allowing her to finish the bowl of oatmeal. He held out a small plastic cup full of medication. She counted six different pills, assuming the remaining two were only meant to be taken in the morning. Still, six pills were more than what she wanted to take. But, she was on heavy antibiotics and she welcomed the painkillers since she was starting to feel all the pain. She took them with a glass of water, disgusted each time at the bitter taste. As she prepared for bed, Bruce had taken a quick shower and gotten dressed for bed. He wandered to his side of the bed, getting underneath the blankets as he turned off the main lights with the remote at his side. The only light came from the small lamps on their respective bedside tables.

She adjusted the oxygen tube, wondering how she'd be able to sleep with it when she moved around a lot. She tugged on the nasal cannula, wincing as it brushed against the dry skin around her nose. It wasn't something she would get used to, unfortunately. "It was difficult to breathe without this," Anastasia confessed, resting her hand on top of the mini oxygen tank. It couldn't weigh more than ten pounds or so. "Do you think I'll die if this falls out?"

Bruce chuckled at her question, watching her from the corner of his eyes. "No, you won't."

"How do you know though?" She asked, giving him a pointed look. "What if I move around in my sleep and it falls out? Then, I'll choke to death."

"I'll keep watch. Don't worry, darling," Bruce reassured, taking a seat on the bed to face her completely.

"What if you fall asleep?" Anastasia asked quietly, messing around with the tube as she twirled it around her finger. It was surprisingly malleable enough but each twist blocked the oxygen, so she let it go and messed with the strings of her robe instead.

"I won't fall asleep, Ana," Bruce said. "I promise."

Anastasia sighed, shaking her head. "I don't want you to stay up all night."

"You act as if I don't stay up most nights," Bruce teased, pushing her guilt away as he placed a gentle hand against her cheek to make her look up at him. His eyes were soft, watching her with adoration. It made a small smile appear on her lips. "It'll be fine, Ana. It's your first night home, so it's a little scary. But, the nurses gave me the rundown and I have a checklist to refer to. I'll set an alarm for around three a.m. since we need to replace the oxygen tank."

Her nose wrinkled at the thought of having to have up so early. She could feel her chest start to ache, especially where her ribs had cracked from the impact of the bullet. It was what caused the most discomfort whenever she moved. And, she could tell the painkillers were wearing off fast. "That sounds terrible."

"You don't need to be awake," Bruce reassured. "I can do it myself. It'll only take a minute or two."

"No, I can do it," Anastasia countered, refusing to allow Bruce to do everything on his own. It was her injury, she could deal with it. "I don't want to bother you with that."

Bruce frowned, proving her with some comfort as his thumb stroked her cheekbone. "Hey, it's my turn to take care of you," he said. "It's never a bother to me, Ana. You are never a bother to me."

Anastasia sighed. She couldn't help but think of all the times that Bruce had been so distant over the past two years or so, something had come in between their marriage. It was something she still wasn't aware of, but she could see it on her husband's face whenever his mind wandered off. "Fine," Anastasia said, trying to keep the mood on the lighter side. "But, I bet you that I will wake up."

Bruce smiled. "We'll see."

Anastasia, in fact, slept soundly due to the sleeping pills that her doctor had prescribed. Bruce, on the other hand, couldn't sleep. His mind wouldn't allow him to rest as his thoughts fired back and forth. He had been stressed about what Lucius had told him earlier about how the Children of Arkham had been able to hack into Wayne Tech's signal. They piggybacked off the GCPD's signal, allowing them access to every communication that happened with the police force if it involved Wayne Tech. The GCPD had been warned, telling them to get rid of all their Wayne Tech since it may be compromised. Fortunately, Lucius had found a way to block them out of the system he used as Batman before they could find out his identity. It was too close of a call.

And, it was too close of a call to having his wife find out his connection to Selina Kyle. He wished he had deleted the messages between him and Selina sooner since it was a liability and it was something that linked him to Batman. It wouldn't take someone, especially Anastasia, long to connect Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle to Batman and Catwoman. He hadn't spoken to Selina in a few days, but he remembered she had told him her plans to leave Gotham before things got too messy. He wasn't sure if she had left or not yet. Not did he blame her for wanting to leave, considering the chaos the Children of Arkham were creating. Even with Harvey in office, there wasn't much being done at the moment to stop them.

And then, more recently, there had been a string of animal attacks that had taken more than eighteen lives in the past two days. There was still no evidence of the animal other than what a few eye-witness accounts were saying. Batman had looked into it, but he had always been too late to stop the attack. It was beginning to take a toll on Bruce, making the weight of his shoulders seem heavier and heavier. He couldn't escape it, either as Bruce Wayne or Batman. He was being attacked on all fronts.

The revelations of his father and the legacy he left behind were something that horrified Gotham and Bruce, making all the memories he had of his father twist into distorted versions. But, it was something he could live with since he knew that he was nothing like his father. However, the toll of his failure as Batman cost people their lives. He was unable to stop the mayhem occurring in Gotham, considering it got worse and worse each day. He had been absent over the past week or so, remaining in the hospital with his wife. But, Gotham needed Batman. He couldn't let more innocent lives be taken at the expense of his selfish desire to be with his wife.

Bruce turned off the alarm before it could ring, sitting up in bed as he stifled a yawn. He got out of bed, heading downstairs into the parlor where they had a few filled oxygen tanks set up. New ones would be delivered every other day and the used tanks would be taken away to be refilled. Luckily, Alfred had already set up the system before Bruce could ask. He took the full one upstairs, being quiet enough to not wake Anastasia. He changed out the oxygen tank for a full one, listening to the few incoherent words that left Anastasia's lips. The timer was set for another eight hours when it would need to be changed again. After a month, Anastasia wouldn't need to rely on them so heavily. Still, Bruce worried for her recovery since something as the common cold could land her back in the hospital. His fear was what caused him to stay away. So, he watched her all night to make sure she wouldn't stop breathing out of nowhere.

He was half asleep some time half past four o'clock in the morning when soft whimpers echoed in the otherwise quiet bedroom. A yawn left Bruce's lips as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, looking around the room to pinpoint the sound. It took him a few moments before he realized they were coming from his wife. He turned on his lamp, illuminating them in a warm glow. Anastasia was laid close to him, eyebrows scrunched together with her eyes squeezed shut. Her hands gripped the sheets, turned white from the sheer strength. Her cheeks were tearstained from crying in her sleep. It caused panic to spread through Bruce as he immediately bolted into action.

"Hey, Ana," Bruce said softly, shaking his wife to wake her from the nightmare. It took a few tries till he met her green eyes that seemed darker in the dim light. A soft gasp left her lips as she sat up with his help, looking around the room with wide eyes. He rubbed her back, waiting for her to realize where she was.

Her eyes found him, immediately pulling him into an embrace as she tried to catch her breath. She trembled in his arms and Bruce tried his best to calm her down. "Bruce... I..." She stammered. "I can't breathe."

"It's okay," he reassured, causing her to go silent as she stayed in his embrace. He ran his hand up and down her back, listening to her cry softly. "You're safe, Ana. I promise. I'm here."

"No, Bruce, it hurts," Anastasia whimpered, making him frown. He slowly pulled away, watching her clutch at her abdomen and her side. She tried to breathe, watching him with unshed tears. The doctor had said that the pain was inevitable once the medication wore off, considering how much damage had been done. She had taken the medication the doctor had prescribed and normally, Bruce would have given her another pill. But, they needed to follow the strict guideline set out by the doctor.

"Do you think you pulled open your stitches?" He asked softly, helping her undo the robe to take a closer look at her wounds. They weren't undone, fortunately. Other than some redness, there wasn't much evidence of her pain on the outside. "Anastasia, what hurts?"

"I think my ribs," She mumbled softly, closing her eyes as she leaned against the headboard. She looked pale, sick. It made Bruce frown, placing a hand against her forehead to make sure she wasn't running a fever. She felt hot to the touch.

"Stay here, okay?" Bruce said softly, helping her lay back down. "I have something stronger that'll help you sleep. I'll be right back."

He headed out of the room, making his way down to the Batcave. It was cold downstairs, making him shiver as he headed toward the refrigerators set up. He opened it, finding one of the morphine solutions that he could give Anastasia. Usually, Alfred was the one to administer the medicine to him on nights where he took too much of a beating. It was rare, but sometimes the goons would get the upper hand. He rushed back upstairs, gasping when he ran into Alfred.

"Is everything okay, Master Bruce?" Alfred asked. "I can hear Anastasia crying from my bedroom."

"She's in pain," Bruce said, holding out the pain medication for Alfred to see.

Alfred hummed, reading the label. He readjusted his glasses, doing his best to see in the dark. "Are you sure? This is something used for... Batman."

"Give her a dose she won't come back from."

Bruce gulped, hearing his father's words echo in his mind. He still could not forget what his father had done to Esther Cobblepot. Everything good he knew about his father had been tarnished. He was nothing more than a crook, someone who committed horrible crimes to put himself on top. But, Thomas Wayne was still his father.

"I'll give her a smaller dose," Bruce reassured Alfred, pushing his thoughts to the side. "It'll take her pain away and bring down her fever. It's just this once."

Alfred nodded, trusting Bruce's judgment. "Alright, do let me know if you need my help. I will be downstairs. I'll... I'll prepare some tea for the two of you."

"The medication might put Anastasia to sleep," Bruce warned, not wanting Alfred to go through the hassle of preparing them some tea. He could tell that the older man was tired as well.

Alfred only offered him a warm smile. "Well, I'll make some tea for you, Bruce. You need it."

Bruce nodded, heading back into the room. His wife trembled, holding her side. Bruce quietly undid her robe, pulling it back to reveal her bandages. He checked her bandages again, peeking at her wounds to make sure there wasn't any blood. None of the stitches had been opened, fortunately. But, he understood she still felt pain considering all the damage the bullets and chest tube had left behind. As the doctor said, ripping everything out had caused the most damage. Anastasia was suffering because of the extra damage she had caused. It made him feel guilty, wishing he had never left her side that day. If he had been there, he would have been able to stop her before her hallucinations got worse. But, there wasn't anything he could do about the past. He could help her now, and he would do everything in his power to make sure she recovered.

Anastasia shivered, being exposed to the cold air. But, the cold would help bring down her fever. Her sobs had calmed, but she still sniffled here and there. She held his hand, looking up at him. "I can't..." She mumbled, shaking her head. "Bruce... It hurts..."

"I know, darling. I'll make the pain go away, just a moment," Bruce said softly, wiping a small area on her thigh where it would be best for the injection. The morphine solution needed to be injected into a muscle for it to take the proper effect. She winced at the coolness, but stayed silent other than that. Bruce took the injection, pulling some of the morphine into the tube. He placed the needle right above her thigh, making sure the needle would hit the muscle. He injected her with the morphine, watching how she stilled for a moment. "Are you doing okay?"

She didn't answer. A soft sigh left her lips as she relaxed. The morphine worked instantaneously, Bruce knew. It was something he used many times out in the field when he couldn't tend to his injuries right away. He placed a small bandaid on top of the injection site, not wanting to risk even the slightest chance of an infection. He tied her robe, making sure it wasn't too tight to bother the injuries. Next, he checked the oxygen tank again. It still had about seven hours till it would need to be replaced again. Once he was sure that everything was in order, he laid back down with his wife and held her close. He stroked her hair, whispering sweet words to help her fully fall asleep. It didn't take long for her breaths to steady and for her eyes to close.

Bruce knew it was a risk to give her the morphine solution, considering all the medication she was on. But, he reminded himself he was doing this for Anastasia's sake. It was the only way she would get better. He would explain everything to her when she started to feel better. Perhaps, it was time to tell her about Batman too. Bruce was starting to get tired of the lies, but he was afraid to bring her into that part of her life. It was too dangerous. Anastasia wouldn't be able to handle it, especially when their regular lives were so difficult to deal with on their own. As he continued to gently rub her back, he couldn't help but fall asleep as well.

Alfred had entered the room a couple minutes later with fresh tea and biscuits. A small smile fell upon his lips when he saw both Bruce and Anastasia asleep. So, he turned off the lights and left with the tea. He didn't want to interrupt anyone's sleep and he knew how rare it was for Bruce to get proper sleep. And, so, for the first time in a long time, all the residents of Wayne manor had slept soundly in their own beds. But as always, Gotham would make sure that serenity doesn't last forever.

I GOT THIS CHAPTER OUT MUCH SOONER THAN I EXPECTED, but I feel kind of ehhhh about it if I am being honest. It reads kind of awkward I feel like, mostly because I feel like I don't write romance that well. But, also because I know that Ana and Bruce are both lying to each other so it creates this tense situation. But, I tried my best to make it sound okay! I suppose Ana and Bruce feeling awkward is okay because their relationship definitely going to go downhill before it goes uphill in the couple of chapters. I also added a mini Bruce's POV at the end since it kind of fit the vibes! We can see what both of them are thinking!

I feel like this chapter definitely could have been shorter since I was supposed to have Ana and Laura's team-up in this chapter too. But, that's the next chapter now! It is fully written, but I need to go back and rewrite it since it's just dialogue right now. And, I might change up some things still! So, we'll see when it gets published!

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! I tried to give fluff, but I feel like it's just thinly veiled angst. Still, it's a chapter! I am super excited for the next chapter since it'll be more action! We'll get to see Batman too at the end of the next chapter hehe! I'm excited to write more of Laura because I truly do love her a lot. She's the best. And, we'll see more of Eric! I love him. It reminds me that I. need to write more chapters for Identity Crisis and post my two remaining Bruce Wayne fics that feature Elide and Aditi (two new OCs)! I think I've only mentioned them on Instagram, but I'm not too sure!

AMARA.
[ PUBLISH DATE ━━ 08.08.2022 ]

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro