Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Did I mention I am tired of eating rabbit?" Finan moaned as he skinned another rabbit for tonight's supper.

"Be more respectful, Truda was up early hunting those rabbits for us," Sihtric said.

"They're small I don't understand why it took her all day," he replied.

"Because they're fast," I said taking a deep swig from a water flask.

"Could have caught us a deer," he whined as he cut the rabbit's head off. I huffed and walked over to the horses giving them their evening feed, they nickered lowly and softly. My gaze travelled to Uhtred who sat on the hill overlooking Winchester. I heard footsteps approaching behind me, I turned and it was Osferth.

"Has he said a word to you?" he asked.

"No, he has been silent since we have left; it worries me," I said running a hand over my bead-littered braids.

"Have you tried approaching him?" he inquired.

"No, not when he's in that state. He just needs peace and some time with the gods," I said. It was my turn to patrol the perimeter of the camp, I left the men alone and began my circuit, with Winchester weak I'm sure it wouldn't be long till Danes started arriving to take it for themselves. My fingernails tapped against the horn on my waist my signal for if I was in trouble, but so far it had been quiet and I had no use for it. Just as I began my second lap I heard footsteps following me. I ducked behind a tree for a moment and the figure kept walking.

I pounced and grabbed them from behind and held my blade to his throat, "Truda it's me, it's Uhtreds son," he said. I lowered my blade and pushed him forward.

"Your father has warned you about sneaking up on me," I said pointing my blade at him. I kept walking with him in tow. "Did your father send you?"

"No, I just thought you would like some company," he said catching up to my side.

"I patrol alone, you know this. Besides, you just want to spend time with me don't you?" I asked keeping my eyes on the track.

"No," he said.

"You're a bad liar just like your father," I chuckled.

"It's the truth you can ask Finan when we return," he said quickly.

"I will," I replied, we stopped at the lake that was not far from camp. I cupped water in my hands and drank what I could before it ran from the gaps in my hands. I splashed water over the back of my neck and looked over at Uhtreds son. "What's on your mind?" I sat back on the bank.

"Do you think Uhtred is disappointed in me?" he asked.

"No, not at all. Your father has been through so much and you were taken from him at such a young age. He's just surprised you chose religion, so am I to be honest with you," I replied and helped him off the ground. The sun was going to sleep and we needed to head back to camp.

"Have a nice walk?" Finan asked grinning at us as we emerged.

"Yes, till I was followed," I said walking past him and unbuckling my sword belt, I glanced to Uhtred he was still sat in the same place. "Has he eaten?"

"No," Sihtric answered. I snatched my bowl off the stone where Finan had placed them and I walked to Uhtred, I placed my bowl in his lap.

"Eat," I snarled, and walked back down to Finan and Sihtric.

"Are you really going to starve just to prove a point?" Finan asked.

"Yes..." Uhtreds son interrupted me.

"She can share mine," he said. Finan and Sihtric sniggered to each other.

"It's fine," I said throwing my horn at Finan.

"Ouch! That hurt," he whined.

"Stop being a baby," I said wrapping my animal skin around my shoulders a bit more.

"You'll be weak tomorrow," Sihtric said.

"Doesn't matter, Uhtred needs to learn if he suffers there are consequences," I growled looking over to his still figure. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro