Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I bathed not far from camp, Osferth was my lookout for any prying eyes, he sat with his back to me he always respected my privacy. My ribs began to show through my flesh, I had refused a few meals the past few days. "Do you ever miss your home?" he asked.

"Yes," I nodded washing water over the tattoos on my wrist, "but we've been here for so long it feels like a second home here."

"I can understand that," he said, I walked closer to the bank pulling my clothes back on.

"Thank you, you're a very good lookout," I smiled.

"So I've been told," he said as we made it to camp.

"You smell better," Finan said.

"You don't perhaps you should bathe too," I said.

"You insult me," Finan whined. We suddenly heard hoofbeats coming into camp, Osferth threw me my blade and we all stood ready but as the figure emerged it was one of Aethelflaeds ladies in waiting. I lowered my blade, and Uhtred ran down from his same spot.

"Is Aethelflaed okay?" he panicked.

"She is but she needs you to help her take Winchester back from Aethelred," she said.

"Of course she does," I said and walked over to the horses tacking them up. The men rushed towards me and one by one I gave them the reins to their horses. We galloped as fast as we could, Uhtreds son fell behind so I doubled back and steered his horse towards the others, we closed ground quickly. By Midday we arrived at Aethelflaeds home. Uhtred and I dismounted the still moving horses, as soon as she emerged she hugged Uhtred immediately.

"How can we help you?" I growled and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Please come in, we'll discuss it in the great hall," Aethelflaed replied. We all walked in and sat down.

"As soon as my father died Aethelred abandoned me here, it's been unguarded and vulnerable, I need you to help keep this place and Winchester safe," she said.

"What if we don't want to?" I asked, Uhtred snapped around to me.

"Truda, give it a chance," he said.

"You know that's the first thing you have said to me all week!" I yelled raising my arms up.

"Go cool off outside," Finan said pushing me out of the door, Sihtric following me. We walked the grounds, my gaze trained on the ground.

"We need to be united, we cannot let cracks appear," he said. I remained silent and kept walking. "Here, I stole you this," he said handing me an apple.

"Thanks," I said and peeled the skin off the apple as we walked, we did multiple laps till Finan came out to get us.

"Are you cooled off now?" he asked.

"Yes," I nodded. I took a deep breath and we all walked into the hall. Everyone's eyes turned to me. I threw myself down and put my feet on the table. Uhtred scowled at me.

"At least she's here," Finan said.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro