Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Within the first morn of us staying with Aetheflaed we were fighting off Saxon soldiers sent by Aethelred. He had heard of our arrival. Uhtred and I fought close, soldier after soldier advanced, a few of the men began to tire. I split off from Uhtred and pushed Finan out of the way but not without injury, a blade travelled all the way through my side. I decapitated the soldier and hauled his blade from my side and continued to fight. Like a pack of wolves, we advanced on the remaining men, a few tried to fight but we cut them down like the common dogs they were. We stood and watched them leave.

Finan and Sihtric dragged me into the hall, Uhtred was already there, he cleared the table for me knocking the bowls and fruit everywhere. I gave Finan a nod, he took my bloodied blade and took it to the hearth before I could see him plunge it into the flames Uhtred stood in front of me. "I had warned you not to split off from me," he said and kissed my hand as he clasped it.

"I know," I replied.

"Keep your eyes on me," he said, Finan cut the cloth from my side and pressed the burning blade on to it cauterising my wound. I grunted and gripped Uhtreds hand, he cradled my head and kissed it.

"What happened?" Aethelflaed asked rushing toward me.

"Leave me alone!" I growled, her face dropped. Finan took her to one side and explained everything. I swung my feet off the table and tried to sit up, and held my head in my hands.

"Easy," Uhtred said and rubbed his hand up and down my back. I stepped down onto the seat and fell. I whacked my head against the floor, Sihtric tried to help me off the floor but I swatted his hand away from me.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yes, leave me," I said.

"Sit," Uhtred said.

"Stop fussing," I said and pushed Uhtred away. "I've had worse, and we should be  focusing on our next move," I leant against a beam.

"She's right," Aethelflaed said and sat down, "after losing so many men he will attack again and will try to remove me from Mercia."

"We shan't let him," Finan said taking a seat with Uhtred.

"With what is left of your forces combined with ours, you're far stronger and better protected, " Uhtred reminded her. 

"He will not get through those gates," I said and winced at every breath.  "Aethelred will know his place." I walked over to the table and rested my hands on Uhtreds shoulders. 

"Anyway, next time he attacks we will be ready for him," Finan said and took a sip of water from his cup. 

"We have never been caught off guard before..." Sihtric began but Uhtred cut him off sharply. 

"And it won't happen again." We all nodded amongst each other. 

"Not on our watch," Finan said raising his mug into the air. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro