Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Aethelred has no right to that throne," I said.

"No, but he claims God told him it was his right," Aethelflaed said, we all looked at each other and chuckled.

"Is he mad?" Finan asked.

"Must be if God's talking to him," Sihtric said.

"You can mock him all you like but you won't be laughing when he has his sword at your throat," she said, we all fell silent.

"Not if I have my sword at his throat first," I replied. 

"You're brave but foolish," Athelflaed said. 

"So I've been told," I replied getting up and walking over to look out of the window. 

"We'll protect you, my lady," Uhtred said, the words sounded foreign on his tongue.  We all looked around at each other, that eve we were all gathered in the great hall the roaring fire kept us warm, two of Uhtreds men were stationed outside. Finan, Sihtric and I sat in front of the fire  I cleaned and sharpened my blade.

"We haven't had a fight in weeks," I said. 

"Missing some action are we?" Uhtred asked crouching behind us. I huffed and moved to the other side of Finan.

"Come on Truda," Uhtred said.

"I'd be more than happy for you to taste the steel of my knife right now so I'd stay away," I said getting up and walking outside relieving one of his men. I leant my head and boot against the wood of the gates, the horses neighed lowly so instead of keeping watch I joined my horse in the stable. He looked back at me and I stroked his velvet snout. "Who needs men," I kissed his snout.  A few moments later and I heard my name being called but I ignored the calls and kept silent, however, the footsteps came closer to my location. 

"I knew you'd be here," Uhtred said. 

"I need to find a new hiding place," I replied.

"You shouldn't have to hide from me," he said. 

"I'm not," I said and ran my hand down my horse's neck. 

"I am sorry for the silence but I needed space," Uhtred walked into the stable with me and sat across from me, resting his back against the wood. "I did not mean to neglect you," he leant forward and kissed me gently, he pulled back rested his forehead on mine and placed a hand on my cheek. "We have too much at stake for us to be at war." 

"You're right," I said placing my hand over his.

"Come here," Uhtred said and pulled me into his chest, I rested my head on his thumping heart and he ran his fingers over my braids, he kissed my head and squeezed me softly. He sighed. 

"What?" I asked. 

"You need to eat more, Finan has told me about you skipping meals. I need you to be strong especially in this fight," he said. 

"I know," I replied. 

"By the way things are sounding with Aethelred, he sounds mad. I am sure he will enjoy nothing more than taking our numbers down," he said. 

"Not if I end him first," I yawned. 

"That's if you get the chance," Uhtred said and kissed my head, "I am not having you get yourself into danger." It wasn't long till we both fell asleep in the stables with the horses. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro