5 Days Until

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The dress was the tightest I could physically fit in.

"I can't breathe in this thing."

"It's supposed to be like that."

I took a deep breath, as though that would make the dress any looser. Rob had gotten me into the miss, and he was unlikely to get me out of it. T was the one who'd get me out, and she was running out of time.

I grunted. The dress was a gorgeous blue. I looked like a goddess in it, but I didn't care looking like a goddess. I cared about being able to breathe and move freely.

"What do you think?"

I looked in the mirror, completely silent. It was pretty, I had to give the man peering over my shoulder that. He was tall, lean, like if you sculpted a man out of putty and then stretched it out.

"It's beautiful. Thank you."

He nodded, picking up shoes. The heels had to be about three inches tall. He'd started with much taller heels before we discovered three inches were the tallest heels, I could walk in.

"Are you sure I can't wear sneakers? You can't see my feet anyway."

"What if you pick up the skirt to go upstairs?"

"Then I'm actually able to walk."

"You're going to wear these. The night has to go off without a hitch."

"Yeah, I know."

"You'll be fabulous."
"Thank you, Javiert."

"Of course, Ms. Alam."

I ran my fingers over the fabric. It was rough, like glitter. It probably was glitter.

"Now I have to get out of this, don't I?"

Javiert nodded solemnly. I let him unzip me, while he scuttled out of the room. I changed back into my clothes, relishing my sneakers. I wouldn't have them for the whole weekend, despite protests.

"Can I come back in?"

"Yeah."

He came back with a thick, white binder. I watched him carefully.

"We need to discuss hair."

I nodded. "Just so it's out of my face."

Javiert nodded.

"Practical, aren't you?"

"I try to be."

He nodded, flipping through his binder. He skipped the whole first section.

"Buns. Let me know which ones you like."

I flipped through the images, scanning the images of women showing off their hair. I pointed to an image. Braids flowed into a bun, which hung, barely touching the woman's neck.

Number 47, please. Javiert nodded. "I'll mark it down."

I ran my hands along my thighs. "Can I go home?"

"Mr. McQuillan should be finished soon."

I waited for five minutes, with Javiert buzzing around the room, like a fly that hadn't meant to fly through an open window.

When Rob came out, I stood up, grabbing my bag. My life had become so consumed with his engagement ceremony that I had to do homework at odd times of the day.

I missed the days when I got to sleep in enough time to meet the recommended time for my age.

"How are you?"

"Fine."

Rob nodded. We walked out of the building. I couldn't get over the nervousness that had gripped me when I rescued T. It felt like I was on a mission every time I passed through the lobby.

"Sonnet," Rob took a deep breath. That wasn't a good sign for me. "I'm in love with you."

I'd already known that. This wasn't some revelation. I didn't say anything. What was there to say? I'm in love with a girl who I wanted to save me from Rob.

He ran his fingers through his hair. There was more. Of course, there was more. There was always more. I didn't want there to be more.

"I love you."

He hadn't just said that. He hadn't just said that.

He was looking at me expectantly.

"Thank you?"

That wasn't what he wanted me to say. I couldn't bring myself to lie, not about this. I couldn't close my eyes and pretend he was Tyena. I didn't have it in me.

"You don't have to say it back. I know it's really quick. I've only known you for a couple of months."

"Rob, I'm flattered. I really am."

"I've heard that line before."

"I'm not in love with you, Rob."

He looked at his feet.

"I should've seen that coming."

You really should've. I bit my lip. I couldn't say that. I wasn't a cruel person, at least not out loud.

"It's not that you don't deserve it. I just—I'm not the one, Rob."

He walked quicker. I didn't bother to keep up with him. About 20 steps ahead of me, he stopped. I hesitantly caught up with him.

"I've made a mess of this, haven't I?"

"You had so much handed to you so fast. It'd take a special person not to go too far."

"I was supposed to be special."

I looked at him. He'd bought it. He'd eaten it right up. I guess he hadn't had it drilled into him that he wasn't special, none of us were.

"We believe what we want to."

"I believed you loved me."

"I'm sorry." I wasn't. I really wasn't. I don't know why it came out. I'd tried to be so careful. I didn't know what I could've done differently without risking my whole life.

Rob walked in silence. I didn't know what would happen now that I'd told him the truth. He wouldn't be able to stop the engagement. Would he try to? Or would he proceed as though nothing had changed?

He seemed genuinely upset. He wouldn't forget it. I wouldn't be that lucky.

Why couldn't everything have stayed the same until T came to get me? Why did he have to tell me he loved me? Why couldn't he save it?

I looked at my hands. Ifine Manor was in front of us soon enough.

Rob turned at the door, leaving me to stand at the base of the stairs. Chase looked up from his book.

"Is everything okay?"

I started up the stairs. "I don't know."

I ran to my room and slammed the door. I'd screwed everything up. I needed T. T would come. She had to.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro