2. Butterflies

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Mason
It had been years since I thought about lizard man and it was to the point that I thought maybe it was all just a silly dream. However, standing in a room alone with him brought it all back. He sat at a desk. The sun was so bright that it created the background around us to be a blur. A pen scribbled on blank paper. Wait no. It was just his blurred signature for a contract. Bold letters showed the company name and date.

TSAC

Eleven years ago he established the same company that claimed to have a past relationship with the mutants. But how? There could not have been an outbreak because it would have been all over the news (like it was now). There had to be a mistake. Focusing on the blurred words, the words began to shift and wiggle, until an explosion of paper was ripped and the room darkened. I quickly sat up and rubbed my eyes while taking a sip of water. I began to lie back down just until a flash of light illuminated the room. Blinking, I look at the time-four AM.

It could have been Dad. Being a cop, he sometimes got called in during weird hours. Especially since the first outbreak of mutants was a week ago and it had messed with everyone's schedules. I tried not to think of Grandma as I lay back down in bed.

"Come. Come. Come."

The soothing voice invaded my thoughts and without another thought, I was already out of bed. The door to my bed opened and there I stood in my pajamas and Reese looking the exact same.

"Come. Come. Come."

Again. The front door creaked open as we ran down the stairs. The voice was overpowering my thoughts that anything rational was pushed aside. I needed to touch it. I needed to know. I needed to follow.

"Come. Come. Come."

Somehow, we knew where to go. The moon's light shined on us, but the ball of light was brighter, magically, and more enticing. The light would wait as we bounced and trampled through the forest. Whether it was rocks, trees or bushes nothing was too big of an obstacle. It soon became a game of who was faster. Us or the light. The closer we got the more the wind would blow, stinging our smiling cheeks and warming our outstretched fingers. Then it would stop and the cycle would repeat.

I felt alive and free even with the small cuts and grimy stained feet. I could sense Reese felt the same beside me. Up ahead a small clearing appeared and there the light spoke once more.

"Stop."

We stumbled to a stop and for once I could hear everything around us instead of just the hum of the light. Crickets chirped and the rush of a river sat in the distance. Even an owl hooted every so often. We were not in bed anymore.

I turned to Reese to speak, but the glow of the light began to dim over her pale face. There the ball looked as if it was fading in and out of reality. Reese stood mesmerized and began to reach out.

"Touch."

My fingers itched to move.

"Touch!"

My arm moved upwards.

"TOUCH!"

Our fingers gazed over the warm ball and my stomach fluttered with happiness. There I could feel the security and everything felt like it would be fine until I couldn't. I struggled to pull away, but my fingers were attached. The tips of my fingers began to freeze as the light became dark. It seeped into my body and goosebumps ran from my toes to my arms. My teeth chattered as the air suddenly dropped in temperature. The idea of feeling watched only stirred my racing heart matched the racing wings of a fluttering bird and the crushed leaves of a spooked animal. Glowing eyes appeared everywhere I looked and my throat squeezed tightly. Pain shot in my lower back as my knees hit the ground. My free hand clawed at everything, from my neck to my feet.

Her eyes met mine in a silent scream for help. Me gasping for air and her mouth open, eyes wide in fear. "Reese." My body became numb, and I swallowed another breath of air before collapsing on the grass. The last thing I recall was Reese doing the same.

A gorgeous orange butterfly fluttered across the sky before landing on my lap. It was just the tiny insect and me. The two of us were nestled against a tree and just across the way was a small farmhouse. The small butterfly had a small torn wing but nonetheless had been able to flutter with the gentle breeze that blew the leaves. The sun was just beginning to rise over the trees, and I knew mother would call me to come inside for breakfast.

The small insect walked across my hand before flapping its wings at me. With a smile, I reached my finger out to touch its wing.

"It's time to go, Mason."

My mother was there. It was just the two of us that man the small farm. Her black rings under her eyes would make her appear older than she was, but her smooth arms and warm embrace made up for it. She bent down and picked me, the small butterfly flying away when she did.

"What about my new friend? Maybe it wants to join us for breakfast too, mommy."

"She already is, don't you see?"

The three of us were seated around the table, and there sat a beautiful girl with orange butterfly wings. She smiled at me before turning to look at my mother; a teapot was cradled in her hands. "Tea?"

"You're too kind, Overseer."

Her warm brown eyes shifted to mine, and she looked at my empty tea cup. "Tea?"

My small hands held the teacup up to the Overseer. "Yes, please!"

"What lovely manners for such a well-behaved boy!" she praised as she poured the hot tea into my cup. To top it off, she slid a cookie my way with a smile. The small girl turned her attention back to my mother. "Don't you wish they could always stay this innocent? No tantrums, no back talking, just innocence."

My mother sighed with dreaminess in her eyes momentarily. "Would be nice, but they gotta grow up someday. They have to see the world for what it truly is. Yet, I'd do anything to have the eyes of a child once more." My mother ruffled my hair as she took the empty tea cups to the kitchen sink. The dishes hit the sink just as my hands gripped the swing string. The girl and my mother stood off to the side of the tree as I looked out at the house once more.

"It's always a pain to think you understand someone, especially someone you raised, just to see them become the thing you feared the most. Then you are left to question everything you have done that might have caused it or even what could have stopped it."

"You speak as if that has come true for you."

The swing flew high into the air, and for a moment, I felt like I was flying. My body was off the seat, and the leaves were just inches from my face. The clouds did not look that far away either. Like if I reached out and touched them, they would graze my hand for sure. From there, I would be able to mold each and every one of them to my perfect image.

"I believe it to be true. Your son, however, is a special one. I hope he remains that way."

The swing came to a stop, and for the first time, I truly see her for what she is. Powerful. The girl came over and lifted me from the swing to hold me in her arms. Her freckled face was so close to mine as I questioned, "Special?"

This caused the girl to laugh. My small hands held onto her shoulders as I frowned at her waiting. "Yes, little creature. You are special to me just like all the animals in the woods. From the smallest worker ant to the great grizzly bear, they play an important part just as you play a necessary part for me."

I tilted my head up at her as she placed me down next to the tree. My mother wrapped me at her side. "And what is that?"

"To save us." Her soft hand caressed my cheek before she stood to her full height. Her face appeared slightly older and wiser than she did just before. "There is a bad man out there. I need you to stop him before he hurts anyone else."

I shivered as I looked at my mother, but she was gone. The peaceful scenery disappeared, and glowing eyes seemed to be watching from the edge of the woods. My attention quickly snapped back to the girl. Her eyes were a growing black abyss, and suddenly I felt even smaller than before.

"You have to save us, Mason."

Blood pooled around her stomach area and down her legs. Droplets ticked each time they landed in the puddle like rain hitting the roof. The moon glowed over her head, and her wings expanded with rips and tears throughout the membrane. The teeth of various animals shined as they stalked ever closer to me; each step made it even harder to breathe. Her skin peeling and sagging from her limbs as she reached out to me.

"We need you to save us."

A snake struck my outstretched leg, and I recoiled at the pinch it left. Its tongue wiggled out as it slithered closer, and I scooted back before hitting my back against a furry creature with massive teeth and a muzzle. The bear's eyes looked down at me with a low growl. With shielded eyes, I yelled, "Okay, I will!"

Hundreds of butterflies exploded around me.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro