06 | newt's problem

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Newt joined her for breakfast the next morning. Balancing his plate of pancakes in one hand, he pointed to the seat across from her. "Do you mind if I sit here?"

Anne shook her head and Newt sat down, placing his plate in front of him and dug in. Anne was pretty surprised by the fact that Newt decided to sit with her. From what she saw and had heard during her time in the Glade, she knew that Newt and Alby were good friends. So the fact that he was sitting across from her instead of with Alby was kind of weird for her.

They sat in silence as they ate. Newt rarely glanced up from his food, taking small bites and pushed the pancakes around more than he ate them. He placed his fork down a while later and leaned back in his chair.

"You aren't really done are you?" Anne asked, noticing that more than half of his food was still left on the plate.

"I'm not really hungry," Newt mumbled, turning to look at the boys sitting at the table near them. He groaned as he looked back down at his lap.

The two boys at the table to their left had been watching Newt and now were whispering back and forth between each other like teenage girls sharing gossip. She didn't know what to say to Newt because she didn't understand his situation very well at the moment. So, she asked about Alby instead.

"Why aren't you sitting with Alby?" She asked. "He's your friend, right?"

Newt looked up at her before glancing towards the table where Alby sat with Nick, Zart and Clint. She was disappointed to see that even Alby seemed to be watching Newt.

"He keeps asking me how I'm doing," Newt said after a while. His voice was soft, almost sad. "Everyone keeps asking me how I'm doing and it's getting bloody annoying."

Anne didn't know what to say. She knew she shouldn't mention anything along the lines of his health because that seemed to be what he didn't like talking about. Before she could say anything, he spoke again.

"See this?" He asked, gesturing towards the pancakes left on his plate. "Frypan keeps trying to make me feel better by treating me differently."

Anne noticed that he hade four pancakes on his plate, two more than the rest of them and even had a different chocolate syrup as opposed to the syrup she got.

He just wanted to be treated normally, just like everyone else, but no one seemed to understand that.

Newt stood up, grabbing his plate. He mumbled something to Anne she couldn't understand and went to give Frypan his plate before stalking out. She noticed that his limp was even more visible when he walked faster. She didn't see Newt again until dinner time.

They didn't have much work to do that day. The only person who came was a boy who accidentally slammed a door on his index finger causing a rather bloody mess. That whole ordeal ended with Anne pouring some unknown liquid on the boys finger while Clint attempted to get the blood flowing.

After the boy left with a bandaged finger and a few sniffles, they all cleaned up the place, discarding a blood soaked strips of cloth before they all sat down in random spots until someone needed them again.

It wasn't until half an hour later when they heard someone coming up the stairs. Lincoln had unsurprisingly fallen asleep and a few pokes to his arm proved ineffective, so Anne pinched him to wake him up. He jumped up, throwing a playful glare towards Anne before going over to the sink to wash his face.

Clint opened the door to the room just as Nick and a very sweaty Asian boy Anne couldn't remember seeing before stepped onto the landing, half carrying and half dragging a boy. Clint helped them carry the boy to the bed, asking them what happened.

"We ran into a Griever and Steve tripped," the Asian boy explained as he took a seat on the other bed. "He hit his head pretty hard and was unconscious for a few minutes."

"How long?" Clint asked.

"I don't know," the Asian boy shrugged. "Maybe ten minutes, fifteen?"

"You're lucky that Griever didn't get you, Minho," Nick said.

Minho laughed. "You don't really think it could've caught me, do you?"

Nick just rolled his eyes. "Just let me know how he's doing."

While Clint and Jeff worked on Steve, Anne and Lincoln stuck around, getting anything the other two Medjacks needed. While Lincoln was searching through the cupboards for something, Clint sent Anne to get an ice pack from Frypan. They were kept in his freezer. When she returned with it, she almost ran into Minho who was exiting the room. She quickly stepped back and walked around him, handing Clint the ice pack. When she turned around, Minho was still standing at the door, his curious eyes on her.

"Hey," He said. "You're the girl Greenie, right?"

"Yes?" Her answer came out as more of a question.

Minho smiled, his eyes growing even smaller when he did so. He mumbled something under his breath that she couldn't quiet catch and ran down the stairs, leaving her a bit confused and wondering whether whatever he had said was about her.

She turned to Lincoln who was watching her. "He's a Runner, right?"

"He's the Keeper of the Runner's," Lincoln said. "Pretty cool, huh?"

Anne just raised an eyebrow at the boy before going over to help Clint with the now fast asleep boy.

"No seriously," Lincoln followed her. "He's the Keeper of the Runner's. It's like the coolest thing around here."

Lincoln followed her around, talking about the Runners for quiet some time after that.

×××

I watched the maze runner and the death cure again. I'm publishing this chapter due to me being incredibly sad. I will seriously never get over what happens. Also, this chapter is pretty short anyway.

I'm confused about what happened in this chapter? But Minho is here! Even if it was only for a bit...

I changed the prologue. I mean, its still the same (sort of) but I added a whole bunch of stuff and it's now like 500 or 600 words longer. Thank you Unlock-Your-Mind for pointing out the fact that she seemed a bit too calm. Thank you so much! (I cringed while reading that chapter!) I did change that. But there is a reason why she is more calm than the others about her surrounding which I can't tell cause it's a spoiler. No, she's not like Thomas.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro