22. From Port Royal

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Friday, 25th December 1676

Loud cheers came from Gallows Point, and I turned to see another pirate being suspended by his neck on a gibbet. I glanced at the other two, and seeing them still writhing, I diverted my eyes and turned again to face seaward. Oh, dear God. Whyever do they find this entertaining?

The morning breeze had filled the jibs and mizzen sail when they were sheeted, and they were now pulling Zeelandia away from the noise of the celebration ashore. Then as the men aloft on the yardarms released the gaskets, the square sails fell to be sheeted home by those on deck, quickening our way.

I scanned the other ships lying to anchor – still only the one with activity. As I watched the hands there walk the capstan around, I wondered whether their weighing is only to move to the wharf. Then seeing a longboat being hoisted aboard, it appeared they were also heading to sea. To follow us? Or merely coincidence?

Renewed loud cheers came from ashore. Another quarter-hour.

Charles directed Zeelandia southward through the area fouled with hidden shoals; he had told me the wind was adverse to using the cleaner passage eastward. As I watched the flitting fish and the changing colours of the sea bottom, another cheer came from Gallows Point, this time much subdued by the increased distance.

I looked back to see the ship now under sail. Another captain finding no pleasure in watching hangings? Or not wanting his crew to risk their health ashore? Or wishing to follow us?

When we cleared the pale water of the foul ground and entered the dark blue of the deeps, we continued southward, and this puzzled me. Should we not have altered to tack eastward toward Hispaniola? The wind would allow us a full four points to port, possibly five or even six.

When finally Charles had given control of Zeelandia to Mister Jenkins, he took my hand and led me to the hatch. As we descended, Olivia stood from her sewing and greeted us, "Another two hems finished, m'Lady."

"Excellent, Olivia. You may now relax in your quarters until dinnertime."

As she gathered her sewing and hastened away, Charles nodded toward the chairs by the window. When Olivia was beyond hearing, he said, "Bosun Mate is surprised to see Simpson showing interest in her. He told me they both like watching women and talking about them, but neither has found the courage to approach one."

"Oh!"

"Indeed, much as was I."

"But you are so courageous. Why ever would you not approach?"

"A different sort of courageousness." He shrugged.

"What sort would this be?"

He shrugged again. "If I knew, I would not have hesitated."

I leant into him and kissed his neck. "And I would have missed knowing you."

"Indeed, and I am grateful I had not found that courage."

This warmed me, and I sighed. Then my thoughts returned to Simpson – to Richard. "And what explanation for his small purse?"

"I was told his mother is a widow, still with three children at home, and he gives most of his earnings to her."

"Oh, my! How badly I had judged him."

"Indeed, as had I. But it was of no consequence; we took no action but to learn. And it is always best to dismiss or confirm suspicions early, lest they grow and we act in error." He turned to look through the windows. "As with the ship which follows us."

I nodded as I turned. "I had wondered about her intentions. So, how will you learn?"

"If she is heading eastward or up through Windward Passage, she will come five or six points to port once clear of the reefs."

"As we should have done."

"Exactly!"

"And if she maintains this course and follows us?"

"If she is bound for the Spanish Main, then she would continue. Cartagena lies a little west of south from here." He pointed at the bulkhead. "Or continue until clear of the land to starboard, Portland Pitch, before coming west toward Panama or to round Cuba for the Florid Straits."

"How long until we know?"

Charles looked again out the windows. "Half an hour or a bit less until she clears the shoals and gives us the one answer. Two hours or so until she gives the other."

"And if she then continues in our wake?"

"We will come to windward to confirm. If she also alters, we will know; there being no other valid reason for her action."

"Then she will learn that we know."

"Indeed, and with her aware of this, if she continues, we will learn how serious she is."

"What then?"

"We could come to a course which offers our best speed in an attempt to outrun her, but she will also likely find her best speed by following. It is wisest to maintain a safer tack through the day to not place undue strain on the rigging; our beat to windward is required, regardless of her actions. Then we could hope to lose her in the darkness. The moon has waxed for five days, so we will not have its light until past midnight."

"But with the stars, our sails would still show."

"We can hope for a cloudy night."

I looked out through the windows at the clear sky. No clouds since that rain three days ago. "What chance for that?"

He shrugged. "We need not worry about that for now. She may well alter as she clears the shoals, or later, when clear of the headlands to starboard."

"True." I breathed a deep sigh. "A needless pother until we know."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro