39. Encounter

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Immediately Charles had ordered the guns loaded and primed, the hand at the gundeck hatch repeated the order, then he stuck his head through the opening and shouted it to those below. A few moments later, he rose and turned as he called toward the quarterdeck, "Acknowledged, Sir. Load and prime starboard."

"Thank you." Charles lifted his telescope and examined the ship, and I stood near him doing the same. After a long silence, he said, "They have not hauled their guns forward, nor are their chaser ports open."

"And they fly English colours," I replied.

"Aye, but that might be a ruse."

"True. Activity now on the foredeck. Many hands. Both sides."

We watched for a while, then Charles said, "Preparing to launch the longboats."

"And there. Square sails let go and being clewed. Men heading aloft."

For the next few minutes, we watched hands sidle out on the yards to furl and gasket her sails while she continued slowly forward under only two jibs. Below, both longboats were swung out on their davits, while forward, hands unlashed the starboard anchor from the cathead and allowed it to swing free. Then the jibs were let fly and lowered.

"An elaborate ruse, if it is one," Charles finally said as he lifted his distance gauge to an eye. "They are now within four hundred yards, well in our effective range, and they continue to close. Their remaining way will need to be checked with an anchor."

"And when they drop it and swing to its rode, they could present us a surprise broadside."

"Aye. As I was at this moment thinking." He stroked his beard. "But we still have the upper hand. They can offer effective fire only for an instant. The swing begins slowly as the rode is snubbed; then the turn quickens until mid-way around – which is their broadside opportunity – before it begins slowing as the ship settles to her anchor. Besides, we would see their gun ports opening as they approach square to us. That would be our signal to fire on them."

"Could they not fire through closed ports?"

"They could if they are fools. Hauled back, their guns will not be well-squared, the gunners will have no view of the target, giving no aim as they swing quickly past us, but worse, they will set their ship afire from the powder flashes on the splintered wood."

"Would they know all of this?"

"I would think so. She appears to be a well-cared-for ship, and that is a good sign of wise and clear thinking."

I examined her more closely, nodding. "She appears similar to Zeelandia."

"Indeed. She might well also be Dutch. There are many Dutch ships in the region, though now mainly in the southeast."

"Are we not at war with them?"

"France is, and because of our alliance, we had been drawn into their war. During our involvement, the Dutch recaptured New Youk from us, but in a treaty two years ago to end hostilities, England recovered it. The Dutch are still at war with France, causing continued ill feelings with England, and we do not trade with them, nor they with us."

"Oh! So, if they are Dutch, what were they doing in Port Royal?"

"A fine question. Possibly a captured ship."

"Captured as was Zeelandia? A war prize from the Dutch?"

"I had not thought of it that way." Charles shrugged. "Rather, I thought she might have been taken by pirates."

I pointed to the launched longboat now being pulled toward us as the ship began to turn from the pull of her anchor rode. "Would pirates act in such a manner? Placing members of their crew between the two ships. In the line of fire."

"With the calmness in here causing no rolling, all shots will pass above them."

We watched the ship swing through eight points, broadside for a fleeting moment before continuing another eight points to face her anchor. As she settled, the longboat continued toward us, and I asked, "Why do they approach?"

Charles shrugged. "Perhaps we have misjudged their intentions. Perhaps they bear no malice."

"And following us for two days?"

"Aye, that is a proper quandary."

The longboat neared, and an elegantly-dressed man rose to stand in the bows, and lifting his hands to his mouth to direct his voice, he shouted, "Ahoy, Zealand. Baron Montford of Delfe greets Captain Angus."

Charles called back, "Captain Angus has settled ashore. Captain Betheson welcomes you aboard, Sir."

"Welcome him aboard!" I shook my head. "Is this wise? Is this a clever ruse?"

"I know him, Camille. The First Officer in Delfe, the ship which was with Zeelandia and Venturer two and some years past when we raided the pirate haven."

"Oh! When Father was captured."

"Indeed. We two sailed away, but your father succumbed to the demands of his crew and remained there."

Charles turned to Mister Cogswell. "Prepare to receive Delfe's boat alongside."

"Aye, Sir. Assist boat."

While Cogswell rushed away, I asked Charles, "He styles himself as a baron. Is this fact or fancy?"

"When we met, he was a baronet, the firstborn of Bartholomew Montford, who had been elevated to baron by King Charles for his privateering ventures along the Spanish Main." Charles shrugged. "It seems his father has passed on."

"You were also First Officer when you met."

"Indeed. And we shared much, both below at the celebratory reception in the great cabin, and later, alongside in Port Royal." Charles looked across the anchorage at Delfe and shook his head. "How could I not have recognised her?"

"Because your first thoughts were to protect us from a threat. You knew no other reason a ship would follow us in such a manner."

"True."

"And once that idea was in your mind, it remained there. Besides, you saw little but her bows the entire while. Little from which to recognise her."

"True again." He called forward, "Gundeck. Remove primers and stand down from the guns."

The hand at the gundeck hatch repeated the order before he leant his head through the opening and shouted it below. Then he stood to face us and said, "Confirmed, Sir. Remove primers and stand down."

"Thank you."

Charles took my hand to his lips; then he pointed toward the hatch. "Head below and refresh, Camille. I shall greet Sir Matthew at the gunwale gate and bring him in."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro