7. Alongside in Port Royal

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Olivia and I stood out of the way at the rail in the port forward corner of the quarterdeck, watching all the activity aboard Zeelandia as she wended her way past the rocks and shoals protecting Port Royal Harbour. The light breeze raised small waves, which sent patterns of sunlight across the sea bottom in an ever-changing variety of hues. I marvelled at the brightly-coloured fishes flitting past, often individually or a few, but sometimes in a great swirling swarm.

After we had passed the fort on the end of the narrow finger, the hands let go the hawser and lowered it to Santiago's longboat, which soon began pulling her into the harbour. I assumed this was to make it easier for us to manoeuvre in the confined waters.

As we continued under jibs and mizzen with our longboats standing-by, I turned to Olivia. "Charles had said the port is busy, so we will likely need to lay at anchor and await a space at the wharves. Possibly even land our cargo with lighters. You and I will have to use the longboat when we go ashore."

"Go ashore? Us?"

"Oh, yes. We shall visit the clothiers, the milliners, the cobblers, and the haberdashers. And even the jewellers. We need to assemble the wherewithal to present ourselves as women. There is no longer reason to hide in these." I looked down at our bagging shirts and oversized breeches. "They have served us both well, but their time has now passed."

"But it ain't safe ashore, Ma'am. From what Captain said."

"We shall go with four stout men to guard and protect us." I giggled. "And to carry that which we purchase."

"But I have so little money. Two shillings and a few pence."

"Save that for Virginia. I shall buy all you require." I shrugged. "I need you well-presented if I am to be seen as a proper lady."

Olivia smiled and nodded. "Been a real lady's maid is more fun than playing at it with my sisters."

A moment later, as we rounded the point and the city's inner waterfront hove into view, I pointed to the empty spaces along the wharves. "It appears we might be able to go alongside, making it all so much simpler."

We remained silent for a long while, listening to quiet instructions from Charles being passed on as loud, barked orders by Master Hawkins, immediately causing the crew into action. Sheets were let fly, and hands began striking and gathering the mizzen and the jibs. Hawsers were passed to the longboats, and as our way slowed, the men in them responded to more orders, bulging their muscles at the sweeps and pulling Zeelandia toward the wharves.

As we approached, I examined the city, a collection of buildings sitting higgledy-piggledy along the waterfront. And this jumble continued inland, seeming as blocks tossed by a child. Some appeared to be stacked atop others, and I reasoned this was because the narrow finger of land had run out of new places on which to build.

I turned to look at all the ships lying to anchor, and I wondered why there was space alongside for us. Then realisation. Of course, restrict that space to ships discharging cargo and to those taking on provisions for their next adventure. Otherwise, lie to anchor in the roads.

Many quiet instructions and loud barked orders later, Zeelandia settled alongside the wharf. While hands on deck coiled lines and hung them on belaying pins, men aloft tied gaskets to secure the furled sails to the yards.

Movement ashore caught my attention, and I turned to watch three elegantly-dressed men cross the wharf, and as they neared, one spoke, "Ahoy, there. Good to see you again, Captain Angus. What success this time?"

"And a good morrow to you, Sir Henry. But your eyes deceive. Captain Angus has retired ashore, and I purchased the ship from him. Captain Betheson, at your service, Sir."

Sir Henry adjusted his spectacles. "Ah, yes, I recognise you now, the young, eager lad. So, what success?"

Charles pointed out into the harbour. "We have a prize to declare and twenty-two surviving pirates to be marched to the Court House. Also, we have aboard their eighty-three slaves freed."

"Oh, jolly good! I shall give you twelve pounds for each strong man, nine for each healthy woman. There is no need for you to hold an auction."

"You misunderstand, Sir. These are Englishmen. Sailors who had been captured and enslaved by the pirates."

"Oh, God rot!" A look of disappointment filled his face. "But all is not lost. I can provide paid employment for the lot of them on the plantations."

"That is very kind, Sir, but there is no need. Their intention is to repair and crew the prize." Charles again pointed toward it.

"And your booty? You appear deeply laden, and I can arrange purchasers for all of it."

"Thank you, Sir. We prefer to conduct our own auction, as we had done the last calls here."

Again, a disappointment clouded his face. "Then how may I be of service to you?"

"If you would, Sir, you might advise the Chief Justice that we have twenty-two pirates who had attacked English shipping. And also, eighty-three witnesses to their atrocious acts."

"You can do that yourself." He motioned to his two companions. "With no business here, we shall away." And with that, the three turned and headed across the wharf.

I watched, dumbfounded until they disappeared from view in a narrow lane. Who was that? Such hauteur, such arrogance. I looked across the deck to Charles, who was engaged with the officers. Appears he knows him well. Familiar with his attitude, remaining unruffled throughout while I seethed.

To calm, I turned my eyes upward to watch the hands on the yards, marvelling at their balance on tenuous perches as they lashed the sails. Such a fine view they would have from those heights. Must ask Charles to take me aloft. In these breeches, though. Not a place to be hampered by skirts.

My thoughts were interrupted by Charles' voice, "Come, Camille. I must be ashore, but first, I need to dress for the occasion."

I motioned to Olivia, and as we followed Charles down into the great cabin, I asked, "Who was that pompous man?"

"Sir Henry Morgan. He made a huge fortune as a privateer with bold raids on the Spanish Main, and he was an early part of Port Royal's great wealth. He now owns three sugar plantations and dozens of slaves."

"Oh! Thus his arrogance."

"Indeed, he does like to show his importance. He had served as the colony's Governor until replaced by the Earl of Carbery last year. When we were last here, he was the Deputy." Charles shrugged. "Likely still is because of the power it gives him."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro