2. Number 13

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I went to the receptionist to know about my new job and she handed me a card with a number. I was told to wait before Cabin 33 for someone named Mrs. Jenkins.

I noticed that many people were waiting here. I look at the card in my hand. Number '13' was written on it.

That's strange.

With so many people sitting there, it is odd that I got the number '13'. If I were to count the people sitting and waiting here, with a card, I would easily get '56' or '57'...

"13 is considered very unlucky. "

I look up to see the source of the voice and find a guy with dark brown hair and blue eyes.

"Why ?"

I find myself asking him. I have often heard that 13 is an unlucky number but, I never cared to believe in it. But, now, the circumstances are different. If I am going to work like an exorcist then, I should be aware of these tiny details about luck and bad omens.

The guy takes a seat beside me.

"Researchers estimate that at least 10 percent of the U.S. population has a fear of the number 13, and each year the even more specific fear of Friday the 13, known as paraskevidekatriaphobia, results in financial losses in excess of $800 million annually, as people avoid marrying, traveling or in the most severe cases, even working. Did you know that ?"

I shake my head vigorously to his question. That's an amazing piece of information !

So much loss for just a number !

"There's no valid proof but... "

"But what ?"

I ask. Curiosity must have been visible in my eyes.

" A company in 1993 study published in the British Medical Journal indicates otherwise. Researchers analyzed the traffic flow and number of injuries from car accident in the southern section of London's M25 motorway during the five months that the 13th fell on a Friday between 1990 and 1992.

They compared these numbers to data collected on Friday the 6th of the same months, and found that although there are consistently fewer vehicles on the road during the 13th — possibly as superstitious people choosing not to drive that day, the researchers proposed — "the risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident may be increased by as much as 52 percent" on the 13th.

But before triskaidekaphobics, or those who fear the number 13, say "I told you so," it should be noted that although the data were authentic, the authors didn't mean for their conclusions to be taken seriously."

"But, that's kind of absurd. Please don't get offended. "

I say as I think about it.

"Number 13 is mathematically unlucky as well."

"Why so ?"

I thought science and mathematics do not believe in 'luck' and 'unluck'.

"According to many theorists, while 13 is not innately unlucky, it does have a shitty position in the number sequence. In both traditional mathematics and estoric numerology, you can’t get better than the number 12. It is the only positive integer considered a "sublime number" in terms of its numerical and cultural symbolism, it is quite literally perfect. Simply put, 12 is a tough act to follow.

According to Broaadly astrologer Annabel Gat, “Humans are kind of obsessed with symmetry. [There are] 12 zodiac signs, 12 apostles, a dozen roses, 12 days of Christmas — a 360 circle divides neatly into 12, and we just love order. Then 13 comes along and throws everything off balance.”

As the number immediately following magical 12, it makes sense that 13 feels strange, off-balanced, and flawed. Many systems of measurement conclude at 12, so the presence of 13 is both unexpected and unwelcome. It exposes imperfection and abstraction, so naturally, our ancient ancestors — who depended on natural order — feared this figure."

"So, is this really bad ? I mean, Number 13... "

"Have you ever heard of Triskaidekaphobia ?"

I shook my head to his question.

"They are the people who are afraid of the number 13."

"What the hell !"

He just smiles in my direction.

"It's true. Today, the number 13 is synonymous with misfortune and the macabre. High-rise buildings are often constructed “without” a thirteenth floor, and hotels, hospitals, and airports avoid using the number on rooms or gates. Friday the 13th is considered the “unluckiest” day of the year, which ultimately leads to millions of loss revenue. "

"But, don't you think that it's unfair... with number 13."

He chuckles lightly at my stupid statement.

"We need to go."

A guy comes to say that to the brown haired guy, sitting beside me.

He nods and stands up to go.

"Do you think I will fall into unluck if I am carrying this card ?"

I find myself asking him.

He turns to face me and replies with a smile.

"This is AWIYN. Here, every unlucky thing turn lucky."

What does that mean ?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro