27-A Composed Measured Threat

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Calina
༛༛ ༛ ༛༺♔༻༛ ༛ ༛༛

Sleep eluded me throughout the night, and by the time the first hints of dawn crept through the sheer curtains, I abandoned any hope of rest. Instead, I slipped into my running gear and ventured out for a long, solitary run.

After an hour and a half of jogging, I returned to the palace feeling physically drained but the adrenaline from the exercise had cleared my mind, if only temporarily. In an attempt to further distract myself, I indulged in a soothing bath, the warm water easing the stiffness in my muscles. Yet, despite the comfort it provided, I still wasn't tired enough for a nap so I cleaned my room.

Just as I was putting away the last of my belongings, the door creaked open, and Alice, entered the room. Her cat like blues eyes quickly scanned the tidied space, and a disapproving frown creased her brow.

"Callie, what are you doing?" she scolded, her tone stern but not unkind. "You know it's not your responsibility to clean your room. That's what I'm here for."

"I'm sorry , Alice. I just needed something to occupy my mind. I needed some form of distraction from last night," I admitted, sitting on the bench at the foot of my bed.

Alice's expression softened, and she sighed, her eyes filled with understanding. " I heard that you yelled at King Knox. Why don't you come with me on my rounds? We can chat while we work."

"I snapped," I admitted. "But I really liked him and he messed everything up by accusing me of being manipulative."
Alice giggled as we set off on her rounds. "I adore you Callie. You've just yelled at the most powerful man in the world with very little regret."

"I adore you too, Alice," I replied with a grin, feeling a warmth spread through me at her words. "And I suppose yelling at powerful men is just one of my many talents."

Alice laughed, the sound echoing off the palace walls as we continued our work. We moved from room to room, Alice's light-hearted chatter and infectious laughter lifted my spirits, helping to ease the tension that had settled over me since my confrontation with Knox. With each passing moment, the weight of my worries seemed to diminish, replaced by a sense of friendship that I treasured.

Later, Alice and I sat at a quaint wrought-iron table adorned with a crisp white tablecloth, soaking in the rays of the high noon sun. The garden around us was a riot of color, with vibrant flowers blooming in every shade imaginable, their sweet fragrance drifting on the air. We nibbled on sandwiches and fresh fruit, and sipped on glasses of chilled raspberry lemonade, condensation beading on the sides. The conversation flowed effortlessly, weaving through topics both lighthearted and profound.

My gaze lifted from my plate, prepared to laugh at something Alice had said, but instantly my focus was scattered.

There he was, Knox, effortlessly commanding attention as he strolled through the fragrant hyacinth garden, their sweet scent mingling with the salty tang of the nearby ocean breeze. In that moment, time stood still.
The serenity of the hyacinth garden provided the perfect backdrop for his graceful stride, each step imbued with a quiet confidence that drew me in like a magnet.

Seated at the garden's center, I had a prime vantage point, allowing me to admire him openly. My plate sat abandoned as I propped my elbow on the tablecloth and cupped my chin, unable to tear my eyes away from him. Dressed in black slacks and a classic pique polo shirt, he exuded an effortless charm, the fabric accentuated his impressive arms.

Alice turned in her seat, her eyes widening slightly. "Oh, the king," she whispered, standing up and smoothing her apron.

As Knox approached, I felt a sudden urge to fidget with my clothes. My cotton shorts and plain t-shirt felt woefully inadequate compared to his polished attire. I hadn't seen the need to dress up when all I had planned was to help Alice with her work and lounge around in my room.

Despite the temptation to fuss with my clothes or over my messy hair, I resisted.
My gaze drifted over to Emilio for a fraction of a second. A playful grin stretched across his lips when I acknowledge him with a wave. Then he was back to business, keeping his eyes sharp as he scanned the perimeter.

"Princess Calina," Knox greeted, his voice smooth and rich, like velvet. "Alice, how are you?" he added with a nod.

"Your Majesty, I'm well," Alice replied with a respectful curtsy, her cheeks flushing slightly.

"My sincerest apologies for interrupting you ladies, but could I please have a word with the princess?" Knox asked, directing his question to Alice.

Alice's blush deepened as she quickly gathered her things. "Of course, King Knox," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. I shot her a quick glance, but she merely winked at me before making a mad dash away from the table.

"What do you want?" I huffed.
"Can I sit?" Knox asked. I shrugged in response.
He settled into the chair across from me, his eyes never leaving mine.
Knox then averted his gaze, looking out towards the tumultuous ocean. He was quiet for a few moments with an unreadable expression on his ruggedly handsome face.

My heart pounded in my chest as I pushed my plate further to the side and sat back in my chair. "What is it, Knox?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady despite the swirl of emotions inside me.

"I've been thinking a lot about our last conversation. I wanted to apologize for last night. I'm sorry that I upset you," he began, his tone earnest and sincere.

I was wound up, ready to go another round with him. I had wanted to hang on to my anger a little longer. I couldn't, though. There was a vulnerability in his eyes that made my heart soften. I cleared my throat. "We barely know each other, Knox. You don't owe me an apology."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair, and then braced his forearms on the table, his head hanging down as he mulled over his next words. "I want to get to know you, Calina. I want to take my time with you," he said, lifting his head and scrunching his eyes as if his admission was painful. "I know you're engaged, but I don't think I can resist you."

My heart beat faster. Me? He couldn't resist me?
The husky tone of his voice was wreaking havoc on my willpower. I wanted to climb over this table and have "that kiss"-one with breathy moans and panted whimpers. The kind of kiss that vaporized all thoughts.

"Ask me, Calina. Ask me to free you from this marriage contract." His voice was quiet, pained, and full of conviction.

I'm not sure what caused the pieces to slide into place, but realization shattered through my hazy cloud of lust. "It was Henry wasn't it? That told you I was trying to manipulate you."

"Yes, but, Calina, only for a fleeting moment did I think you were trying to manipulate me. Prince Henry claimed you were only flirting with me to conspire against him and end your engagement. I only wanted to clear things up before we took any further steps together."

"Henry." Everything seemed to circle back to Henry. My fingernails drummed against the metal arm of my chair to abide the anger blurring my vision.

I was going to snap Henry's neck.

"You know what? I know exactly how I'm going to get out of this marriage. I'm going to kill him." I growled. "Why would you believe the words that spittle out of Henry's mouth? He is a monster and I feel like I'm the only one that actually sees him for who he truly is."

"Prince Henry is a reputable prince. He has never caused trouble or been the center of any gossip. He is what a lot of women call the perfect prince. When he implied that you were just exploiting me, I almost believed him. I had a feeling he was acting out of jealousy."

Inhaling deeply and rolling my eyes closed, I took a second to consider how to deal with this. My interest in Knox had to be purely physical. My body reacted in a way that it had never responded before, and I was happy to give in to that curiosity. But I was simply not ready to give him more. I couldn't. I still felt like a shell of a person from losing my parents.

It wouldn't be possible to move forward in my new life until I dealt with my Henry problem.

"I don't need a man to save me from this marriage contract, Knox. Men are exactly the reason I'm trapped in this situation to begin with. I have something I need to deal with. I'll see you around." I pushed away from the table, leaving my belongings behind. The guard will text a maid to collect it for me. Right now, I had tunnel vision.

Henry was never too far away. Never quite in my line of sight, but all I had to do was turn a corner, and I'd find him.

"Henry!" I stormed into the loggia corridor. It had the perfect view of the hyacinth gardens where I spent most of my time. He glanced up from his phone, standing with a lazy cat-like stretch when I got closer.

I yelled and cursed. I poked at his shoulder. Henry was completely unfazed by my anger, which, of course, pissed me off more. I pushed at his chest, but he didn't budge. Instead, he trapped my hands, locking them against him as he stared down at me.

"I have no shame about filling a king's head with lies. Not if he has motives of interfering with my life. You're engaged, Calina. No matter how many times you deny it, it doesn't change the facts."

His grip on my hands loosened; if I wanted to step back, I could've, but I didn't. I could feel his heart furiously beating against my fist. All because I was touching him. I breathe in the subtle scent of his cologne, notes of pepper and sage; it was pleasant.

I was waiting for my body to respond in the same way Knox affected me.
To feel anything other than pissed. I was pressed up against an attractive man, and it was taking all of my strength not to knee him in the groin.

"Why, Henry? Why can't you let me go?" I pleaded, not even trying to disguise the desperation and sorrow in my voice.
"I can't pretend to feel something that isn't there. We both deserve to be with someone who loves us wholly and passionately. You seem like a wonderful person, but I'm still grieving, still broken. I need time to heal and adjust to this new life. Please, let me go. I will never love you."

Henry's face contorted with anguish, his eyes searching mine for any glimmer of hope. "I can't, Callie. I've wanted you in my life for too long. I can't imagine a future without you. I'm willing to fight for your love, to do whatever it takes to make you see that we can build a beautiful life together, filled with happiness and genuine affection."

A heavy silence settled upon the room as our words hung in the air, the weight of our emotions was palpable. I looked into his eyes, searching for a spark of understanding. Why didn't he understand that love could not be forced or fabricated?

"Henry, please hear me when I say," I pleaded, my voice barely above a whisper, "I will be an absolute hellraiser as your wife. Is that what you want out of a marriage? A wife that will make you hate waking up every morning?"

Henry shrugs, a sanctimonious smile curling his lips. "As long as you're mine."

My footprint embedded in his face would look damn good.
Claiming me like I was an object, it came as no surprise. Still struck a nerve every time, though.

I took a step back, massaging my temples.

'A composed measured threat would strike more fear than a tantrum.' That was the last sentence I read in my book of etiquette this morning.

Words that needed to be tattooed on my brain.

"The contract, Henry, I want to see it now. I can only accept this marriage if I can see this sealed fate with my own eyes," I said with a renewed calm that I hadn't actually felt.

A brief moment of surprise flared behind his eyes, but just as quickly, he regained his usual placidness. He expected me to lose all self-control at his claim on me. I wouldn't give him that power over me any longer.

"I emailed it to Queen Ekko this morning."

Gripping his smooth jaw between my thumb and fingers, I pulled him close enough to kiss.

"You're going to regret ever crossing paths with me, Henry. I promise." I gave his chin a push before walking away.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro