4.) Safe Return

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Yukio sighed, his tired eyes glancing over as he heard the ringing of his alarm clock. He hadn't been able to get any sleep, just as he had expected. Instead, he had done everything he could to stop himself from thinking about the real issue. He had done laundry, cleaned, changed Rin's sheets and his own, straightened up his desk... He had run out of busy work at about two in the morning, and decided to stop putting things off any longer. He decided to research traumatic brain injury, and found out as much as he could. And now, here he was, exhausted and dead on his feet.

"Morning Kuro," Yukio said, waking Rin's familiar. The small cat had been blaming himself for not going with Rin and protecting him. Yukio felt guilty that the feline had to suffer, and tried to cheer him up. "Wanna come to cram school with me today? We could even visit Rin after school..." The cat perked up, and appeared to cheer up a bit.

"Mrew!" Kuro jumped onto Yukio's shoulder. Not even bothering to change his clothes, Yukio walked out the door.

-|°•°•°•°|-

Suguro knew something was wrong the second he walked into Yukio's class. The fact that Kuro was with Yukio instead of Rin raised some alarm bells; the bags under Yukio's eyes and the fact that his usually orderly hair was a mess confirmed it. Shura wasn't drinking beer for once, and kept giving Yukio worried glances.

"Oi, what's wrong? And where's Rin?" Suguro stared at the empty seat next to Shiemi.

"He's... Not feeling well. Dunno when he'll be coming back to school..." Yukio was lying, and not doing a very good job at it, either. The look he had in his eyes made his curious student realize just how upset he was. Suguro sighed, and left Yukio alone. "So, today we will be discussing the legend of werewolves and what demons caused them. As you all know, the Okami demon, while it has no physical form, is skilled at possessing humans. Since they feed on moonlight, the full moon is generally the only time they can gain enough control over humans to enter their body completely. After being possessed, the human's physical form changes to that more similar to a wolf, which is where the legend originates. The demon's generally hostile attitude towards anything with a material form causes them to then attack humans or other animals. In some cases-"

Yukio was interrupted by the ringing of his cell phone. Picking it up off the desk, he recognized the number immediately.

"Shura, it's the hospital," he said quietly. He then rushed out the classroom, and flipped open his phone. "Hello, this is Okumura speaking."

"Yes, this is True Cross Hospital. We are calling to inform you that your brother is awake. We urge out to come as quickly as possible."

"I'm on my way." Yukio snapped his phone shut, and pulled a key out of his pocket. It was gold, with a decorative handle. He had been given it by Mephisto himself. He put it into the nearest door, and walked through the door. He walked through, and into the hospital. The same woman was at the front desk as before, texting.

"I'm here to see my brother Rin."

"Oh, it's you again. Room B284." She stood up, and walked around the counter. "Follow me."

-|°•°•°•°|-

When I awoke, I found myself lying on a bed in a blindingly white room. I blinked a few times, processing what was happening around me. There was a woman in her mid-thirties with straight black hair standing next to me, looking fairly concerned.

"Rin? Rin, can you hear me?" Her voice was surprisingly familiar, but I couldn't place it. Who was she?

"Yeah, yeah." I sat up, a headache pounding on the inside of my skull like a hammer. I rubbed my forehead.

"I am Doctor Kasumi, the one treating you." Oh. Well, that would make sense. She had been my doctor since I was a kid. "Are you in any pain? Do you remember what happened to you?"

"I remember what happened. This woman got mad at me, and-" I paused. Should I tell her what the woman had told me about my 'demonic bloodlust', as she had called it? Panic filled my chest. Was the woman lying, or did she really..? "-then she hit me with a baseball bat. Twice, I think? And I feel fine." I was lying. My head felt like it was trying to rip itself to pieces.

Then, someone knocked on the door. "Come in, Yukio," Doctor Kasumi called. Yukio strode into the room, looking worried. He ran over to my bedside.

"Rin! Are you okay? What happened?" Yukio's scruffiness surprised me. His clothes were a wrinkled mess, and his hair looked like someone had put a dead rat on top of his head. If he looked like that, I wondered what I looked like. I was probably a bandaged mess.

"Eh, I'm fine."

"Okay, Rin, I have give you a few cognitive tests." She pulled out a deck of large square cards with pictures on them. "Just tell me what is on the card. After we go through the deck, I'll ask you a few questions. Then you should be ready to go home, okay?"

"Really?"

"Yup! You can go home. If you were in any sort of pain, you might have had to stay a bit longer. However, if you are feeling alright, you will be discharged tonight. Your demon healing has fixed you up fairly well. You will simply have to take it easy for the next few days." Heh heh... Maybe I should mention my headache...? I shook my head slightly.

"Okay! WOOP! Hear that, Yukio? I'm coming home!" I winced slightly. Yelling like that made my headache worse.

"Okay, Rin..." Doctor Kasumi looked slightly amused. "We need to get back to the task at hand. What is on this card?"

"Cat."

"This one?"

"House." It went on like this for what seemed like forever; finally she set down the deck.

"Okay, Rin! You're all set! Now, wait here. I have to discuss my results with your brother. I will be right back." She opened the door, and led Yukio out into the hallway. Apparently, they forgot I had demon hearing, and could hear everything they said.

"He seemed a bit more... Distracted than last time I saw him," she noted.

"He's always like that." Yukio sighed.

"Otherwise, however, he is perfectly fine. He is lucky to have escaped getting any permanent damage. However, it is possible that symptoms may show up later on. Please, keep an eye on him. If you notice anything, contact me."

"Okay. So, he will be discharged tonight?"

"Yes. However, if he reports any pain, especially in his head, he may have to stay longer." Well, shit. I really should say something, shouldn't I..? No, I knew that I couldn't worry Yukio. He already looked pretty stressed out, I didn't want to put even more weight on his shoulders. I laid back in the bed. All I had to do was wait to be discharged, right? Then I'd be free to go. Simple, right?

-|°•°•°•°|-

It seemed like it took years for the night to come. In actuality, however, it only took six-hundred and ninety-one minutes. I counted. I had been that bored. Eventually, however, I was led out of the room and to the front desk. I barely paid attention to what they were telling me; I just nodded and smiled whenever it seemed necessary. Yukio filled out some forms, while I tried not to pass out. Standing made my headache worse- each step I took felt like someone was pounding a nail into my skull. Still I smiled, and acted like nothing was wrong. Glancing at the calendar on the wall, I realized that it was Tuesday. Tuesday?! My mind was reeling. I had been unconscious for at least twelve hours. Damn, I must've been hit hard.

"Hey, Rin." Yukio said irritably. "Answer her."

"Mm?"

"She asked if you were sure you were okay to leave. We don't know how well you healed yet... They couldn't even get an accurate brain scan to tell... She just wants to make sure."

"Eh, I feel fine. Let's go!" Yukio sighed, and agreed.

"If anything is bothering you, tell me. I don't want anything bad to happen to you." I nodded, causing my head to feel as if it was beating itself with it's own metal bat. With that, Yukio pulled a key out of his pocket, and put it in a door. When we walked through it, we were in front of our dorm building. I walked inside, and I to our door. As I walked into our dorm room, I threw myself into my bed. Pulling the blankets over myself, I fell into a deep sleep.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro