5.) Appetite

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

When I woke up, sunlight was streaming through the windows. I blinked a few times, my eyes still adjusting to the light. Wait... Light? If the day before was Tuesday, then... I should have been at school a long time ago. Crap. Yukio didn't even bother to wake me up. I glanced at the clock. If I hurried, I would be able to make it to Yukio's class, my last class of the day. Jumping out of bed, I grabbed my uniform and rushed to put it on. I didn't tie my tie; it just hung it from my neck. I then reached out to grab Kurikara from the spot I usually kept it, but then realized that Shura still had it. I ran to the nearest door, put my key in it, and stepped into the cram school. My head still pounding with every step, I ran to my classroom. Ripping the door open, I stood panting in the doorway. The bell had already rung, and I was late.

"Sorry... I was late." I gasped for breath. "I didn't wake up on time."

It was around the time that I finished talking that I realized that whole room was silent. Everyone's eyes were on me. Most of them were wide with shock. Yukio was the first one to speak up.

"What are you doing here?"

"Uh, I'm coming to school. It's kinda something I have to be at. Or at least should have been at, seeing as you conveniently forgot to wake me up." I glared at him irritably. He sighed, and ran a hand through his hair.

"You didn't see my note, did you?" He sounded fairly miserable and stressed.

"What note?"

"I'll take that as a no. I'm talking about the one I left on our door that said I had gotten Mephisto to let you stay home for the next two days to heal."

"What happened to Rin?" Shiemi stood, running up to me. She looked like she was going to cry. "Are you okay?"

"Eh, I'm fine. I was jumped by this woman with a baseball bat. But I'm fine, really."

"You sure as hell don't look fine." Suguro said incredulously. "Your head is wrapped in gauze, and you're even paler than usual. And even if you think you're fine, you're going to give Yukio an ulcer one of these days. He looks almost as bad as you do."

"Oh, he'll give himse-"

"Rin, just go back to our dorm. I need to teach class... And you really shouldn't be running around right now... Weren't you told to take it easy?"

"Well, yeah, but-" Shura, obviously tired of my protesting, grabbed me by the arm and dragged me out of the room. "H-hey! Let go!"

"Just stay at yer dorm. Like, cook or somethin'. Whatever you do there." Hmm, cooking didn't actually sound like a bad idea. She dragged me all they way to my dorm room, ignoring the strange looks we earned from the city residents.

"Ugh, fine." I wrestled out of her grip and  stumbled backwards. She rolled her eyes, and walked away. Sighing, I went down the stairs to the kitchen. Hmm, maybe I should make some raw salmon over rice? I knew it was Yukio's favorite, and it would be nice to see him smile again. Lately, all he did was growl at everyone like a feral cat. Maybe it would cheer him up a bit.

I went into the freezer, and pulled out some salmon. I rinsed it off, and started using a knife to remove the scales. After I had finished, I rinsed it again with warmer water. Cutting it and then setting it to the side, I started to look for some rice. I searched the whole room, digging through all of our cupboards. Even after I had almost gotten killed going to the store to buy some, Yukio still hadn't gotten any rice. I could have just made some sushi, but I had an even better idea. I went back up into our dorm, and looked around on Yukio's desk. Eventually, I found what I was looking for. I triumphantly held up his wallet.

"Ha ha! I knew he left his wallet here when he went to school!"

'What are you doing Rin?' I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard Kuro. He looked concerned. 'Why do you need Yukio's wallet?'

"Well, we need more rice. But, I'm not supposed to be leaving the house. Could you man the fort for me while I'm gone? Oh, and in case Yukio comes home while I'm gone, I'm going to shut the bathroom door and turn on the shower. Don't turn it off, okay?"

"I can't believe you think I'm really stupid enough to fall for that, Rin." I turned around, the smile fading off of my face. I hadn't realized Yukio had come home. I quickly dropped the wallet behind my back and kicked it under his desk. "And taking my wallet? Seriously?" He shook his head. "I didn't think even you would go that low."

"All I was going to get was rice!" I protested. "It's not like I was going to-"

"Rin, you should be taking it easy. No matter how well you think you're doing, you still need to fully heal."

"But-" I huffed. "Fine. But now you have to finish dinner." I sat on my bed, and then flopped backwards. I stared at the ceiling, wondering what I was going to do. I picked up my phone, and saw that Izumo had texted me. Huh. That was interesting. She must have finally unblocked me.

'You okay? Yukio told us what happened.' I smiled. She was actually worrying about me? It was kind of nice to have someone ask if I was okay without screaming at me to stay in bed directly afterwards.

'Yeah, I'm fine. What did I miss in school? Yukio won't let me leave the dorm for even a second. Like, I'm not allowed to cook or anything. :/'

'That sucks. Well, there's homework in math and history. For cram, you have a ten page essay on the effects of wolfsbane on demonic infections. Then in summoning basics you missed summoning secondary demons to test your familiars...' She went on and on, and I began to regret having to go back to school.

"Rin, I finished the food! You better not be on your phone... It's not good for you to be on it after what happened to you..."

'Thanks Eyebrows! I guess you aren't such a bad person after all! I gotta go. Food's calling.'

'Okay. But don't make me show you how much of a bad person I am.' I snapped my phone shut, and shoved it under my pillow.

"Okay!" I started to get up, and Yukio poked his head in the room.

"Don't even think about getting out of bed. You've done enough today." He carried in two plates, holding the raw salmon. I almost laughed out loud. He didn't know how to cook anything, and just set the salmon on the plates.

"Oh, did you make sure to cook these? If you didn't, it can be poisonous..." I said jokingly, sounding concerned. Yukio choked on his salmon.

"What? They are?"

"Ah, I'm just messing with you. Chill out. It's fine." I gave him a reassuring smile. "Or at least, the temperature the salmon's at is okay. You weren't there when I poured the cyanide on your pieces."

"You- oh God, you're a demon. You're going to make me lose my appetite." I rolled my eyes.

"Half demon, actually. And if I'm a demon, then what are you? You are my twin brother, after all." I started to eat my salmon and was done in minutes. Setting my plate on the floor, I laid on my back in bed and sighed. It would be a long two days.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro