18- A Chief Has Come!

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Two days after the letter should have arrived at Garrison, Hunk came with the response. He gave Shiro the letter and hugged Katie. "I get to cater for the Ghost Ball! This is so exciting!" he cheered making his shorter friend laugh.

"Hunk, you're so easy to read. I suggested you by the way. You can thank me by making me some fancy tuna," Katie responded and had Coran, the mustache guy, show him around. "Treat him well!"

"I will, Madame," Coran called back before entering the mansion with Hunk on his heels. Shiro tapped on her shoulder and motioned to the letter.

"Ah, right. We probably should read that. We can go to your room and read it so the context doesn't get leaked," she offered. They didn't want the Garrison Festival being put back on to get around. Lotor had ears who knew where. With Ezor in the mansion and Zethrid and Axca at the school, they had to be careful.

"Why my room?" he asked, looking down at her. Katie cleared her throat and looked at his room's balcony.

"Because it has that and a beautiful view. Plus, it's way more furnished and personalized then mine," Katie replied, pointing up at the area. Shiro chuckled.

"Of course. Well, come on. Don't want to catch a cold," he cheered, ushering Katie back into the house and up the stairs. The two slipped into his room and quietly closed the door. "Now let's read about their progression."

Katie nodded and sat on the couch that was positioned in front of the fireplace as Shiro poked the embers with a rod, trying to re-spark the flame. When a small fire had started, he blew on it. The flame rose higher and Katie couldn't help but think of the fire in her dorm. Shiro turned and noticed that she was frozen, staring intently at the flame.

"Its okay. You're no longer in that room. The flames won't get out of hand. If they do, we have a balcony right there to escape to," he reassured and joined her on the sofa. She nodded and watched him open up the letter. They read together.

"I gladly accept the offer to come to the Ghost Ball. I will bring Lance as my plus one so he doesn't feel left out or burn the school down while I'm gone. We have the first 'trial' all figured out. The students are quite excited about this. We are currently working on incorporating all the ideas into the game so it'll work. By the way, you never mentioned the time we should arrive for the ball. Include that in your next letter. Also, Lance says take care of Hunk and Katie," the letter's first paragraph read. He hadn't bother writing a formal letter.

"Sounds like those two are close," Katie said and Shiro nodded. She could imagine Keith writing the letter with Lance over his back repeating the last phrase 'take care of Hunk and Katie' over and over until he put it down. The letter continued, like theirs had, into the more important and secret matter. Shiro didn't let her read the last paragraphs of the letter they sent.

Now was her chance. "About the other matter, I'm glad you're free from that arranged marriage thanks to Katie. But you can tell that old man that I'm not marrying some prissy daddy's girl just because I am a Shirogane offspring. We may share the same mother, but my father is not the same as yours. I do not wish to be dragged into this pointless relationship," the letter continued.

Katie gasped. They were both in an arranged marriage? That was why Shiro turned down every girl. Or that was just because he didn't like them or know them, but still. Lance doesn't stand a chance. Keith was engaged forcefully. He had no voice in the matter. What can they do to change that?

"I don't know what to do. The old man wants money to keep coming in, so he arranged us both to marry daughters of the second richest family. Like our combination, it can do good. The only reason I'm free is because in his eyes, your equal to that girl as long as Keith will marry the other one," Shiro confessed. 

The pressure on Katie grew bigger. "I didn't know," she whispered, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Poor Keith, poor you. Wait, not poor. Pity is something neither of you need. Good job." Shiro looked at her with a confused expression.

"What do you mean 'good job'?" he asked, turning to her. Katie straightened herself and removed her hand off his shoulder. Her eyes darted to the fire and remained there.

"Good job in holding out, I mean. I would've ran away if I was pressured to marry someone I didn't love, much less someone I didn't know," she replied quietly. "I might have if my father hadn't disappeared, but the thought of him doing that seems a little far-fetched." She took Shiro's hands in hers. "You've done an amazing job. Much more then I could've done in your situation."

Shiro's cheeks went red, either from heat or the embarrassment of Katie holding his hands. She dropped them and gave him an awkward smile. "I feel bad though," he started, "Keith is now permanently stuck. There's no way of freedom from this situation for him. I made him a caged tiger. Even though he is obviously falling for Lance." 

Katie's awkward smile was replaced with a warm, pure one. "Maybe we can help. Keith can run away. I know it is not the best option, but maybe presenting your father with the idea and embarrassment that Keith could run away, he'll break the engagement for the sake of your family's name," she offered. "If he still doesn't make a move, Keith can run away with Lance. Hang in his house."

"Katie that's brilliant!" Shiro shouted, getting up and dragging Katie with him by the elbows. "It will be best for everyone! Thank you!" She smiled.

"Glad that I can help!" she cheered. For a moment they stayed like that, smiling at each other. Then a knock came at the door and Allura walked in. 

"Hey, Shiro- Oh! Was I disturbing something?" she squeaked.

GWAHAHHAH!! JUST HHHAHHAHAHHA!! I feel great. I'm making lovveee happen~~~

-ThatOneServant, the love queen (Jk), out!!!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro