Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I wake up in my small room, relieved that I haven't been to the surgery room in over a week. I've been here for three and a half weeks already, and I'm starting to loose it. I day dream about Claire too much; almost to the point where I feel like she's always with me. Carrie is increasingly worried about me because of the amount of DNA modifications they have made. She says that I'm going to be artificial soon. And to a certain degree, I think she's right. Every day, the more I think about Claire, the further she slips away. Her face is only clear in my sketches. Her memory may not live on much longer. Instead, my thoughts and dreams are with Carrie. I know our relationship is growing stronger every day, I'm just not sure if I want it to. I mean, I still love Claire. "Caspian?" I see Carrie in my doorway before anyone else. She's wearing a white lab coat. Doris hurries over to my hospital bed to nag her. "Dear, this is the real Caspian." She lifts up my wrist to show her the blue dot on my security bracelet. "It's for the eyes, remember?" I look at Carrie, confused. She's helping Doris? Doris gives Carrie a menacing look, and for a moment, she responds by crumbling for a second. She looks so defeated I couldn't help but reach out for her. She ignored me. I am just the patient. After a moment of silence, I realize something. "What do you mean, 'the real Caspian'?" I ask, confused. Doris answers for Carrie, saying "Oh nothing, dear." She gives me one of her smiles before I fade away. For a minute, I am standing in darkness. Darkness is all I see, feel, and think. Then, I realize that I'm underwater. Swimming up, I try not to think about how much I need air. I break the surface, sputtering. There is a fisherman's boat, much like the one my father owned before last year. Before I know it, I see myself sitting near the hull, bending over something. Claire is next to me, looking intently at what I was holding. Then, suddenly, I remember. This happened last summer, when everything was still normal; the way it should be. I watch Claire and I, just sitting there out in the water peacefully. I know what I was sketching. It was a small picture of a boat on the water, with the stars surrounding it. Thinking now, I have no idea what happened to it. I look back at Claire, who kisses my cheek. "It's beautiful." I watch myself smile at her and pull her closer.  The boat rocks calmly. "You're going to tip it over," Claire teases, snuggling into my jacket. I part her hair gently. "You're so beautiful," I kiss her cheek lightly. "Caspian," she sighs. "I don't feel beautiful... Just cold." I laugh. "Do you want to go back?" "Yeah," I watch as she sits up and lifts the heavy wooden paddle. I lift the other one. Together, we paddle back to the dock. I blink. My vision is getting increasingly blurry. The last thing I see is me, helping Claire onto the dock. Then, I find myself sinking to the bottom of the ocean. I open my eyes, seeing the bright white light of the surgery room. Crap. Sitting up, I look to my right, away from Doris, who is adjusting the tubes at my side. A pale, white-blonde head is on a pillow. I think nothing of it until I see the seven others beside him. "What the hell?" At the sound of my voice, all eight heads turn my way. I see my face over and over again on the row of white beds. Then, I get up. I am wearing a normal pair of white hospital scrubs. Good, I thought. I can run in these. I jerk the IV out of my wrist, and watch it as it falls to the unforgiving white floor. I'm so drowsy, I thought. I'll never get out.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro